• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How We Run Our Business Reflects on Us All...

In summary, a few bad consultants hurt the business by not following the training and guidelines set forth by the company. These "bad apples" need to be handled quickly and politely to prevent any long term damage.
Akamsthang
Silver Member
Dear All,

(sorry in advance for my little rant...):mad:

I just ran an event this weekend and I have to say I was very concerned with the amount of customers that had bad experiences with a product or consultant. I had 3 people that came to me about broken stones and consultants that did not return their phone calls. I had 2 people with issues with the egg slicer, one customer who threw away her executive cookware because the consultant told her that it did not have a lifetime warranty and several other customers with issues with consultants.

Most customers are not going to call HO when they have a problem because they want their consultant. They trusted us to buy from us based on our word. They are supporting our business and when we're not there for them, most customers become frustrated and give up on TPC.

Now, I managed to get most of the customers to give me a chance to make it right, but now I have a bullseye on me to make it right or else. That's not how I wish to grow my business, but if I can turn them around, then maybe it will turn into long term loyal customers.

Consultants must remember that your actions reflect upon us ALL! :chef: Anyone who puts on the apron must represent! I love our products and branding and I'll defend it till I'm blue in the face, however, I prefer to grow my business by providing great customer service for a great product line...

Just saying......

Again, sorry for the rant....

You are absolutely right, no "rant" apology needed. This is an inevitable reality with direct sales. Those consultants unwilling to give the customer care we're trained to give will be short lived in the business.

The best way to handle it, as it seems you have, is to sincerely apologize for the person's bad experience, telling them that that is NOT how we are trained to do our business (no bad mouthing another consultant, simply let them know that's not how YOU do business). Then ASK them if they would allow you to try to resolve their problem. Then, do it! You will then have that person as a life-long loyal customer and they will then rave about how you went out of your way to help them - this of course will bring more loyal customers your way.

agreed, the problem is that some are not in this to make a business out of it. They are "playing" and just don't care if their bad behavior reflects on anyone else.

I try to give the best customer service as possible! I even have customers from other consultants contact me because they can't get any kind of service from them. That is so very sad!

pchockeymom said:
You are absolutely right, no "rant" apology needed. This is an inevitable reality with direct sales. Those consultants unwilling to give the customer care we're trained to give will be short lived in the business.

The best way to handle it, as it seems you have, is to sincerely apologize for the person's bad experience, telling them that that is NOT how we are trained to do our business (no bad mouthing another consultant, simply let them know that's not how YOU do business). Then ASK them if they would allow you to try to resolve their problem. Then, do it! You will then have that person as a life-long loyal customer and they will then rave about how you went out of your way to help them - this of course will bring more loyal customers your way.

When I speak to a new group of customers, I tell them to tell their friends who have issues with their products, that I am here to assist them. I want to know about their "problems". I try my best to make it right for them, even if they did not purchase from me.

I have a few who are now loyal customers. In my area, there are a lot of really wonderful consultants who do the company proud!:sing:

Oh, rant away!
There was some consultant in my area telling people everything had a lifetime guarantee like Tupperware. Haha.

I still run into these folks at parties & booths. Never have learned the consultants name, and it really doesn't matter at this point. I show them the catalog scheme for guarantees and ask if they think they've had the item that long. Most have had their items a lot longer than the guarantee.

I apologize ONCE and ask them if I can help set it right by placing an order (they pay, not me) or giving them HO's number. It's about all I can do.

I really wish that TPC would come out with some requiered eithics classes and a managing your business program. I think it is sorley needed.

I've come across a few dissatisfied customers too that have nothing but contempt for their consultant. I offer my apologies and tell them what I can do for them. I've even been accused of 'stealing' customers by a fellow consultant. I won't elaborate on that because I know this person is a CS subscriber. But for the record, I don't STEAL customers. I figure if I help them because another consultant won't, then it is my pleasure to become your new consultant. I figure my customer is a big girl/boy and can decide whom they want to do business with.

Brenda.the.chef said:
I figure my customer is a big girl/boy and can decide whom they want to do business with.

And they will by how we conduct ourselves and our business! You go girl;)

Yup, lots of people out there not willing to go the extra mile for an amazing reputation with their customers.Or the short-timers who give away way too much, then go out of business & customers expect the long-time consultants to be able to afford that too.

I've helped a number of people with problems, but so far none have led to a new customer and only a few have thanked me. I agree we represent the company and other consultants represent us. I don't want us to have a bad reputation because of some 'bad apples'.

Also keep in mind a customer's perspective of a consultant may not always be the "truth". I've had someone bad mouth a consultant I knew and it turned out that there was a misunderstanding but the customer still wasn't happy no matter what the consultant tried to do. Or in the situation I was in - a host tried to cancel her party (tried to tell me two weeks out she just wasn't sure how many people were coming!) and I was firm and reminded her that this was my job and that I count on my parties to pay for my bills. This host took this way wrong and came back calling me rude and that I shouldn't treat people that way... Yah...

Well, I wouldn't appreciate it if a home party consultant told me that!
Wow, did she have the party? You wrote she "tried to cancel". Yikes. Sounds like an uncomfortable situation.

At tonight's show, a guest was hesitant to give me her credit card because another consultant used hers twice - at a 1st show, and then at a 2nd on her mom's order at another party she did not attend.
It worked out OK in the end - I showed her how P3 blanked out the numbers:thumbup:
and she allowed it might not have been PC, but another direct sales company

ShellBeach said:
Wow, did she have the party? You wrote she "tried to cancel". Yikes. Sounds like an uncomfortable situation.

At tonight's show, a guest was hesitant to give me her credit card because another consultant used hers twice - at a 1st show, and then at a 2nd on her mom's order at another party she did not attend.
It worked out OK in the end - I showed her how P3 blanked out the numbers:thumbup:

You would think she would have cash or a check for payment then. Or perhaps she was just warning you that she watches her card. So sad that any consultant would do such a thing. I hope the customer told the company at least.

ShellBeach said:

She did say she reminded the host that the parties are her job, and how she pays her bills. It's something a lot of consultants put into their host coaching from the beginning, and there's nothing wrong with saying it in a polite way.

ShellBeach said:

It used to be that P3 did not block out the card number, so it is possible that it was a PC consultant, but it would have been quite a while ago. Still doesn't make it right.

wadesgirl said:
Also keep in mind a customer's perspective of a consultant may not always be the "truth". I've had someone bad mouth a consultant I knew and it turned out that there was a misunderstanding but the customer still wasn't happy no matter what the consultant tried to do. Or in the situation I was in - a host tried to cancel her party (tried to tell me two weeks out she just wasn't sure how many people were coming!) and I was firm and reminded her that this was my job and that I count on my parties to pay for my bills. This host took this way wrong and came back calling me rude and that I shouldn't treat people that way... Yah...
I know exactly how you felt. I have had one customer like that. She had booked a show and then was impossible to connect with. After trying many times via phone and email, a week before the party I left a message that if I didn't hear from her by the next day I would have to assume that date didn't work for her and would make other plans. I said something about wishing I had known sooner as I could have booked a different party that night. I had left that message several other times with other MIA hosts and they always have come back apologetic and with their reasons why they hadn't returned my calls/emails. This was during the time I was having so many surgeries so maybe my tone was less friendly than I thought, I don't know, but she emailed me after that phone message and told me how rude I was and how she was going to tell everyone she knew how awful I was, etc. I was devastated. I had been a consultant for easily 8 years at that time and no customer had ever had that kind of reaction to me before - or since.Now I make a point of telling my hosts when they book that if they find the date doesn't work to please let me know ASAP so I can open the date for someone else and we set up when we will talk. To balance that customer I recently had one who was so happy with me that she asked who my supervisor was (I gave her my directors email) and she emailed her and also somehow found out my sales director and Jean Jonas' emails and sent them notes too telling them how awesome I was. Imaging my delight to be copied by all three when they replied to her.All we can do is try. If we get called on something we say we need to stand back and learn from it and also think about the fact that the complainer may also be going through a lot too. My unhappy customer was swamped at her job and had been traveling, etc. she had a lot on her mind and my words hit her totally wrong. She never replied to my apology for sounding harsh but I did what I could.

ShellBeach said:

This confuses me a little. So the customer's mom's order was the second order with that card? Is it possible that the customer's mom just said "Oh, I know my daughter placed an order with you and she said it would be fine to use her card again" and the mom never got permission from the daughter?
Now THAT seems like an awkward situation!!

NooraK said:
She did say she reminded the host that the parties are her job, and how she pays her bills. It's something a lot of consultants put into their host coaching from the beginning, and there's nothing wrong with saying it in a polite way.

The thing to remember is some consultants do this as a hobby and some do this as a job. This is my families full time income for 6 of us and we have 4 small kids. When someone cancels at the last minute esp the night before or the morning of it lays me off for that day and it can effect me paying all my bills for the month. I understand that this is a #s business so I always over book my shows to ensure I make the money I need. The problem I run into is the people who have a legitimate reason to cancel usually hold their shows, I had one who had found out she had brain cancer and another who's grandpa died that day, they went ahead with their shows, I find this very touching. Many of the times the ones who cancel at the last second do it for very lame excuses. One last month told me her kids were busy this was in an email at 3 am when her show was supposed to be at 10am:confused: That is frustrating for me when someone doesn't take what I do seriously. (this lady went on to book a 2nd Sat the next month and cancel the morning of when my kids were already at the sitters) It is those people that I usually remind nicely that this is my job and I pay my bills with this income. I also reserve the right not to give them another date on my calender. If we don't take ourselves seriously then our hosts and customers won't either.:cool:

The problem with that lady was it was two weeks before her party and she was trying to use the excuse "I just don't know how many people are going to come!" The invites has just gone out so people were just starting to get them. From my end, I wasn't the rude one - she was (but like I said it's all on how you look at things - that was part of my point). She ended up having 12 people at her party and ended up with a $700+ show. What would have happened if she had cancelled?I've also heard another story from a customer who thought another consultant was being rude for not extending a 10% black friday deal onto a party that the customer had ordered on. The host told the guest that she thought it was okay (without checking with the consultant). When the consultant called the guest back and told her that she owed X amount more than what she wrote the check for, the guest told me that the consultant should have just let her have it since it wasn't that much! I make sure any time that I put a deal out like this that I put "only valid on 'black friday' orders, not valid on any party orders" after I made the mistake once. I didn't tell the guest that I actually agreed with the consultant on this. Once again, it's all about hearing both sides of the story.

That is GREAT you had a good show, after all! Too bad she took that the wrong way. :thumbdown:

BethCooks4U said:
My unhappy customer was swamped at her job and had been traveling, etc. she had a lot on her mind and my words hit her totally wrong. ...

That reminds me of that Maya Angelou quote about not remembering what exactly was said, but remembering how it made you feel.

Agree, hosts need to know to take it seriously but I also think 2 week's cancellation notice is time enough to book another show - if invitations haven't gone out!
Not when the kids are already at the sitter's!

ShelbyMichalek said:
This confuses me a little. So the customer's mom's order was the second order with that card? Is it possible that the customer's mom just said "Oh, I know my daughter placed an order with you and she said it would be fine to use her card again" and the mom never got permission from the daughter?
Now THAT seems like an awkward situation!!

Both mom & daughter had the same last name, and both paid with separate credit cards a the 1st show. P3 tries to pick a previous customer when you start typing in a last name. So I can see how the daughter's name could have gotten put on the 2nd show. Can't remember what the old P2 software did, but I think it did save CC numbers. Anyway she ended up being cool with giving me her CC and of course I said I'd take a check if she wasn't.
edit - she was interested in my "plastic for plastic" deal ; )

ShellBeach said:
That is GREAT you had a good show, after all! Too bad she took that the wrong way. :thumbdown:

That reminds me of that Maya Angelou quote about not remembering what exactly was said, but remembering how it made you feel.

Agree, hosts need to know to take it seriously but I also think 2 week's cancellation notice is time enough to book another show - if invitations haven't gone out!
Not when the kids are already at the sitter's!

Both mom & daughter had the same last name, and both paid with separate credit cards a the 1st show. P3 tries to pick a previous customer when you start typing in a last name. So I can see how the daughter's name could have gotten put on the 2nd show. Can't remember what the old P2 software did, but I think it did save CC numbers. Anyway she ended up being cool with giving me her CC and of course I said I'd take a check if she wasn't.
edit - she was interested in my "plastic for plastic" deal ; )

You have me curious what this is?

Sorry I can't give credit to who posted it here! It was an idea I read here on Chef Success.
I give away a twixit clip if they pay with credit card, because I'd rather not take checks. The twixits are on supply order.

now that you mention that... I remember seeing that post a time or two! I may just implement that!

I've said this many times. What one of us does reflects on everyone.

1. How does Pampered Chef reflect its business values in its operations?

At Pampered Chef, we strive to uphold our core values of integrity, respect, inclusivity, and empowerment in every aspect of our business. This includes our interactions with customers, employees, and the community, as well as our sourcing and production processes.

2. What steps does Pampered Chef take to ensure ethical and sustainable practices?

Pampered Chef is committed to ethical and sustainable practices in all aspects of our business. We carefully select our suppliers to ensure they meet our high standards for fair labor practices and environmental responsibility. We also continually review and improve our own processes to minimize our impact on the planet.

3. How does Pampered Chef support its employees and promote a positive work culture?

At Pampered Chef, we believe that our employees are our most valuable asset. We offer competitive benefits, ongoing training and development opportunities, and a supportive and inclusive work environment. We also encourage work-life balance and prioritize the well-being of our team members.

4. How does Pampered Chef give back to the community?

Giving back to the community is an important part of our business at Pampered Chef. We support various charitable organizations and initiatives, both locally and globally, through volunteer work, donations, and fundraising efforts. We also have a program in place for employees to use their volunteer time off to support causes they are passionate about.

5. How can customers get involved in Pampered Chef's values and initiatives?

Customers can get involved in Pampered Chef's values and initiatives in a few different ways. They can support our business by purchasing our products, which are ethically and sustainably sourced. They can also participate in our fundraising efforts for various organizations, or volunteer their time and resources to support our charitable initiatives. Additionally, customers can join our community of consultants and host cooking shows to share our products and values with others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jenniwest04
  • mrssyvo
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Sheila