• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Handle Other Consultants Advertising at My Party?

In summary, the TW consultant's PC show was disrupted several times last weekend by her guest promoting her TW business. The final straw came when the guest mentioned a product that costs a lot of money and is not as good as the product offered by the host.
Liquid Sky
I had a show last month. A TW consultant was the host. During her PC show she kept referring to her TW biz. It was annoying, but was tolerable...kinda.

Fast forward to last weekend. Did a cooking show for the SIL of the TW consultant. Saturday's host booked off of TW lady's show. So, of course the TW lady was at the show on Saturday.

She plugged her biz so dang much I got REALLY p'oed (internally of course). Then, at one point she broke out her catalogs and passed them out! :mad::mad::mad:

I didn't say anything. I went on my merry way, hoping that everyone at the show realized she was totally overboard. Then, it happened...I couldn't keep my mouth shut.....

She was raving about some "fridgesmarts" products where you can keep your head of lettuce in there and it'll last 2 weeks. I can only imagine how expensive those things are...cuz I feel just about everything in their catalog is too expensive. Anyways, 1 minute later, I mentioned to the guest, "you know, another way to keep lettuce fresh for a long time is by wrapping it in a wet paper towel and place it in a gallon sized zip-lock bag, and seal loosely...leaving about 1 inch of the corner open."

So then, I hear the TW lady say....almost under her breath to the guest, "yeah, but not as long or as good as TW!"

Casually, I said (smiling of course) "well actually, all my heads of lettuce can last an entire month that way." TW lady had no response.

I am serious that lettuce lasts super long that way. Plus, if there's a way to do something that doesn't cost a lot of money to get the job done then I am going to offer those tips. Yes, a $30 colored container looks prettier in the fridge then wrapped and zip-locked bagged lettuce. I guess I wouldn't spend that money to store produce in....especially if my way (which is WAY cheaper) does a better job.

Maybe I shouldn't have offered that advice to the guest. I just couldn't stand not sharing that tip, b/c seriously.....it's my job as a PC consultant to teach people how to do things better and cheaper.

So, going forward, how in the world do I handle situations like that where a consultant for another company just uses MY show as a way to advertise THEIR business? Of course, I have 2 more shows coming up that booked off of TW lady's show. So....I have 2 more rounds of this. :grumpy:

Talk with the hosts of the upcoming shows. See what there thoughts are about this guest. Maybe you can mention to them that her selling TW when at their show is hurting the sales at their show so they will earn less free product. Maybe you will be lucky and she won't be invited (you can dream).

You could also speak with the original TW host and explain that you'd like to keep a great relationship btwn she and you, but that you would appreciate she not promote TW at your PC shows. Explain that it is too distracting and looks more like a competition to the guests.

Also mention, that AFTER your show is over, orders submitted, and you are on your way out, she is welcomed to hand out her info to any remaining guests.

If she gets a bit snippy, just explain that guests are expecting to attend a PC party, and that you do not want them to feel like they were duped into a 2 vendor show.

I don't think if the shoe was on the other foot she would like it either but maybe she is too blind to see it. I've gone to other parties with my catalog tote (habit) but don't mix the 2 unless the host and the other consultant tell me to do so and it is prearranged so customers know they came for both. Other than that if anyone asks me about PC I tell them to talk to me after the show or give them my card and ask them to e-mail me later, etc.

A friend of mine (we'll call her Emma) from the local MOMS Club is a DS consultant, and I went to a party at a mutual friend's house that she was the consultant at. I didn't carry any logowear, didn't even mention my business...and about halfway through the show I was (pleasantly) shocked when Emma brought up me and my PC business! She mentioned that she likes the stoneware, and talked about it for a quick minute before returning to her presentation. It was awesome that she gave me that plug, and I'm willing to bet that she appreciated me leaving my business materials at home. Even when I've felt "desperate" for bookings, I would never want my friends to think I'm only friends with them to get their business...the TW woman at Liquid Sky's show probably doesn't realize just how rude that must seem to her friends...

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!!!

I am going to have to just muster up the confidence to communicate to the TW lady to keep it down at my PC shows. You are right, she probably doesn't even realize what she is doing. She just goes on automatic.

:chef:

Unfortunately it's this type of person who gives DS a bad name. On the other hand, I don't find that kind of behavior any more rude than the person who sits and criticizes every product mentioned or complains loudly about the shipping charge. Rude people are just, well, annoying.I think it really boils down to never doing anything at someone else's show that would bother me if someone did it at mine. I don't wear logo-wear to other DS shows. However, I do carry my PC Ribbon Tote. (I'll replace that soon with my HWC Tote. :)) I mention PC only if asked what I do for a living or if someone else asks me about it. Those are things that wouldn't bother me.

I think it boils down to you are either rude or not. On how to deal with people like that I don't know. I would be lost too and annoyed. I personally have never tried to promote PC at other DS shows either. I went to my first Lia Sophia party shortly after starting PC. I knew what she was going through as this was one of her first shows. I ended up booking because I liked some things I couldn't afford and felt bad for poor turnout and I wanted to help my friend the host. I never asked her to do one in return.(should have but didn't occur to me back then) I went to a TS party and didn't even mention PC unless someone asked. At a madison handbag party with permission from the host and consultant I handed out a few invites to an upcoming open house I was having and showed off my catty tote. Granted all these parties may have been a great way to bob for bookings I didn't take advantage of someone elses business to improve my own. It's just common courtesy really.

I've also been to other DS shows/parties and I never mentioned PC, unless someone asked me about it. Even then, I'd answer their question really fast then won't continue on until well after the party is over.

I just think it's rude and inconsiderate to make it obvious to an entire crowd that you are a consultant for xyz company.

Even when asked about PC at another DS show, like Katie I answer quickly or say, "I'll be glad to talk to you after the party."

1. How can I prevent my soups or sauces from spewing in the microwave?

To prevent spewing in the microwave, make sure to leave enough room for the liquid to expand as it heats up. It's also helpful to cover the container with a lid or paper towel to contain any splatters.

2. Why does my blender spew out hot liquids when I blend them?

This can happen if the hot liquid is filled too close to the top of the blender or if the lid is not securely in place. Make sure to leave some room for the liquid to expand and always securely fasten the lid before blending.

3. How do I stop my pan from spewing oil when I cook with high heat?

To prevent oil from spewing, make sure your pan is not overcrowded with food and that the oil is not overheated. You can also try using a splatter screen to contain any spatters.

4. What can I do to stop my slow cooker from spewing liquid out of the lid?

Slow cookers work by creating steam which can cause liquid to spew out of the lid if it is not properly sealed. Make sure the lid is securely in place and avoid opening it unnecessarily while cooking.

5. How can I prevent my pressure cooker from spewing steam while cooking?

To prevent steam from spewing out of a pressure cooker, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully and avoid overfilling the pot. Also, make sure to release the pressure carefully and gradually after cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
PCMelissa
  • ted122781
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefsteph07