• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Revive Wilted but "Fresh" Basil?

In summary, fresh basil is indicated by vibrant green leaves, firm stems, and a strong scent. Wilted basil can be revived by soaking in water and storing at room temperature is best. Freezing is possible, but best used in cooked dishes. Fresh basil can stay fresh for about a week, but can be extended by trimming the stems and placing them in water.
babywings76
Gold Member
I bought basil at the store and the only kind they had was in those little packages. It looks good, just wimpy looking. Is there a way to perk it up? I thought I read a tip here a long time ago about it, but can't find it when I do a search.

cut some off the stems and put the basil in a glass of water....or our Herb Keeper :) Once it has a drink it should perk-up a bit.

thanks! :)

1. How can I tell if my basil is truly fresh?

Fresh basil should have vibrant green leaves with no brown spots or wilting. The stems should also be firm and not droopy. Checking for a strong, fresh scent is also a good indicator of its freshness.

2. Can I revive wilted basil by soaking it in water?

Yes, you can revive wilted basil by placing the stems in a glass of water and leaving it in the fridge for a few hours. This will help rehydrate the leaves and make them crisp again. Just be sure to pat them dry before using.

3. Is it better to store basil in the fridge or on the counter?

Basil is best stored at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and heat. Storing it in the fridge can cause the leaves to turn black and wilt faster. If you do need to store it in the fridge, make sure it is in an airtight container.

4. Can I freeze fresh basil?

Yes, you can freeze fresh basil by placing the leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet and freezing them for a few hours. Then transfer the frozen leaves to an airtight container or freezer bag. Frozen basil is best used in cooked dishes rather than raw.

5. How long will fresh basil stay fresh?

Fresh basil will stay fresh for about a week if stored properly. If you want to extend its shelf life, you can trim the stems and place them in a glass of water, like you would with fresh flowers. Change the water every day or every other day to keep the basil fresh.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
  • babywings76