• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Picking the Perfect Watermelon: Yellow Spot, Webbing & Sugar Clumps

In summary, when choosing a watermelon, look for a firm and heavy one with a dull, matte finish and a deep yellow ground spot. Store a whole watermelon at room temperature and a cut one in the refrigerator. The color of a watermelon can sometimes indicate ripeness, but the best way to determine it is by tapping for a hollow sound and checking the ground spot. A whole watermelon can last up to 2 weeks, but a cut one should be consumed within 3-4 days for maximum nutritional value.
DebPC
Staff member
Recently found this-How to pick a Watermelon:
Everyday I see people banging on watermelons trying to pick the best one. Here's the real deal on picking the sweetest Watermelon: 1. Make sure it has a prominent yellow spot. This is where it sat on the ground ripening. No spot = premature pick = not ripe.
2. Look for "webbing". This is the brown, course web looking materiel. This is caused when bees pollinate the flower and scar the membranes that later forms the fruit. The more pollination = more webbing = sweeter fruit.
3. Look for black hard globs seeping out. This is sugar not insects or rotting.
You're welcome!!
watermelon pick.jpg

Thanks for posting! I'm sorry you haven't received any responses thus far. Do you have any additional information or can you rephrase your post to make it clearer?

Thanks for sharing this information! I never knew about the yellow spot or the webbing, but I will definitely keep an eye out for those now. I always just went for the one that felt heavier, but now I know there's more to it. Thanks again!

1. How do I know if a watermelon is ripe?

The best way to determine if a watermelon is ripe is by looking for a creamy yellow spot on the bottom of the melon. This is called the "ground spot" and is where the watermelon sat on the ground while it was growing. If the ground spot is a deep yellow color, the watermelon is most likely ripe and ready to eat.

2. How should I store a watermelon?

Watermelons should be stored at room temperature until they are cut. Once cut, they should be refrigerated in an airtight container. Whole watermelons can also be refrigerated if desired, but they should not be stored in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit as this can affect the taste and texture.

3. What should I look for when choosing a watermelon?

When choosing a watermelon, look for one that is firm and heavy for its size. A ripe watermelon will also have a dull, matte finish, not a shiny or waxy one. Additionally, you can tap the watermelon and listen for a deep, hollow sound, which indicates ripeness.

4. Can I tell the ripeness of a watermelon by its color?

The color of a watermelon can sometimes indicate its ripeness. A ripe watermelon will have a deep green color with lighter stripes, while an unripe watermelon will have a lighter green color. However, the best way to determine ripeness is by looking at the ground spot and tapping the watermelon for a hollow sound.

5. How long does a watermelon typically last?

A whole watermelon can last up to 2 weeks if stored properly in a cool, dark place. Once cut, it should be consumed within 3-4 days. It is also important to note that once a watermelon is cut, it will lose some of its nutritional value, so it is best to consume it as soon as possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
CRuff
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back