• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Tips for Getting Your 2 Year Old to Eat More: Common Struggles and Solutions

watering down his juice or milk? The expert recommends limiting children's milk intake to 24oz per day.
milkangel
to eat more than to drink? or is it something that all 2 year olds go through? he jsut finished 16 oz of milk in a sippy and still thursty. sometime he seems thursty all the time. and does not eat much at all.

Offer him water if he's still thirsty after drinking his milk. The milk is adding calories, so he's not hungry because he's full from the milk. If I let my kids have milk before dinner, they don't eat their dinner, so I've learned to give them the milk AFTER they eat, and water throughout the day so they're well hydrated.

Mine goes through spurts of eating. Right now he is eating all the time it seems and for the last several weeks there were days he didn't eat enough to keep a bird alive.............but he is always willing to drink - milk, juice, water, he doesn't care what...so he drinks a lot of water or very, very watered down juice. He will be 2 1/2 next month. I think it's normal. As long as he is hydrated and he is gaining weight normally he should be fine. But do be careful not to give him too much milk, he will use that in place of food and he's not really a "baby" anymore and need to eat actual food. When he gets hungry he'll let you know.

Too much milk limits iron absorption. Kids shouldn't have more than 24 oz of milk in one DAY.Drinking too much milk is probably why he won't eat. He's drinking his calories.

But just to be on the safe side, make sure you tell your pediatrician that your child seems to be unusually thirsty. Your child's doctor may want to check to make sure there is no medical issue.

my daugher is 16 months old and ever since she turned one she has a sippy of ice water with her unless she is in her bed. some days it feels like i am CONSTANLY filling it. Doc does not seem concerned and she is eating and drinking everything else fine. he just warned me about filling up with other stuff like juice or milk...Juice has too much sugars and milk will keep her from eating. so I only give her milk 8 oz sippy at meals and juice at snacks.

I agree with the above comments. I would try and see if he is really thirsty, or just wants milk. Definitely limit milk, especially before meals, and then switch to water. Andyes, you may see some tantrums, but this is where you have to put your foot down and not give in.

If he is really seeming excessively thirsty, DEFINATELY have him checked out by your pediatrician, as that can be a sign of a serious health issue. But maybe you should talk to him/her anyway about your sons nutrition and recommended amounts of milk/dairy/protein etc.

For what it's worth, I got this from a quick google search, from the Minnesota Department of health WIC page. Note that their recommned amount of milk is only 2 cups (16oz) per day. Also, I don't know if your son is still using a bottle, but if he is it is time to switch to a cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why should my toddler drink whole milk?

Toddlers (up to 2 years old) grow very fast and their brains are continuing to develop. Extra fat and calories are need to support this growth.

Whole milk is an easy way to be assured that your toddler is getting enough to grow well.

A toddler should only drink 2 cups of whole milk daily.

Why should toddlers drink milk from a cup instead of a bottle?

At the age of one most children should be drinking liquids from a cup and no longer using a bottle.

Milk in the bottle can cause problems because:

Your child's teeth can become damaged ("baby bottle tooth decay") by the constant wash of milk, which has natural sugars in it, against his teeth. This can cause problems with his adult teeth.

Your toddler needs a wide variety of foods and that means milk is just a small part of his diet. Children are more likely to drink too much milk if it is put in a bottle.

Your child may gain too much weight.

Your child may suffer from ear infections (especially if given at night or when napping).

Last edited:
My three boys all get multi-vitamins with dinner everynight. (ages 7, 3 & 1) This helps with my mommy-guilt when one of them goes through a all fishstick phase.

DebbieJ said:
Too much milk limits iron absorption. Kids shouldn't have more than 24 oz of milk in one DAY.

Drinking too much milk is probably why he won't eat. He's drinking his calories.

I have been in the mommy business for almost 20 years (WOW...that just floored me!), and consider myself to be pretty well versed on nutrition topics. But, had NEVER heard this before. Because all my kids tend to be underweight, milk is something that they drink A LOT of, and in fact has been encouraged by the doctors for the extra calories. But, now I'm wondering if my 3 younger kids developmental issues (that have been unexplained and looked at in depth) might not be linked to this.

So, thank you for this information...I am no way an alarmist, but it's nice to have (maybe) a piece of the puzzles that are my kids!

Here are some links about this that I have found helpful so far...

Some Toddlers at Greater Risk for Iron Deficiency

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Iron deficiency anemia - children

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0816/is_11_21/ai_n15386919/

I watch my grandson, 2, daily for 9.5 hours (and his twin brothers, 5). I have had the 2 y.o. on cups only for almost a year now. If it isn't a meal and he wants a drink, he can have either milk or water, and has to sit on the kitchen floor to drink it (I started this with his brothers and it works amazingly well -- looks strange to others, but it is wonderful). Try getting rid of his sippy cup except at night -- he won't be drinking all of his calories then.

1. How can I get my 2 year old to eat vegetables?

One way to encourage your 2 year old to eat vegetables is to offer them a variety of options in different forms, such as raw, cooked, or blended into a smoothie. You can also involve them in the cooking process by letting them help wash and prep the vegetables. Another tip is to make the vegetables fun by cutting them into fun shapes or pairing them with a dip or sauce they enjoy.

2. What can I do to get my 2 year old to sleep through the night?

Establishing a bedtime routine can be helpful in getting your 2 year old to sleep through the night. This can include activities such as reading a bedtime story, taking a bath, or listening to calming music. It's also important to create a comfortable and consistent sleep environment for your child. If your child wakes up during the night, try to comfort them in their own bed rather than bringing them to your bed.

3. How do I potty train my 2 year old?

Potty training can be a challenging process, but it's important to be patient and consistent. Start by introducing your child to the potty and explaining its purpose. Encourage them to sit on the potty regularly, especially after meals or before bedtime. Positive reinforcement, such as stickers or praise, can also be helpful in motivating your child. Above all, remember that every child is different and may progress at their own pace.

4. How can I get my 2 year old to listen to me?

One way to get your 2 year old to listen to you is to use positive language and give them choices. For example, instead of saying "don't run," try saying "let's walk together." It's also important to set clear and consistent rules and consequences for breaking them. Praise and acknowledge good behavior to reinforce positive listening habits.

5. What are some tips for dealing with tantrums from my 2 year old?

Tantrums are a normal part of a child's development, but they can be challenging for parents to deal with. One tip is to stay calm and not give in to your child's demands during a tantrum. Instead, try to distract them with a different activity or offer them a comforting hug. It's also important to address the root cause of the tantrum and communicate with your child to help them express their feelings in a more constructive way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
milkangel
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies