• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Succeed: Overcoming Challenges with Direct Sales

In summary, the woman is having difficulty finding people to host parties for her and her business is not doing well. She has tried to have two parties but they were unsuccessful. She has also broken her laptop and is struggling to recover anything. She is discouraged and wants to give up. The people around her encouraged her and told her not to give up. They also told her to do shows and to look for booths.
Monty060609
Ok so I know this is covered over and over on the group and this is probably more of a rant against myself but here it goes anyway...

I'm having the worse time getting this going. I signed up in October, qualified in 30 days with basically catalog shows. I don't have family around me so I can't count on them to host parties for me. Actually I don't feel like I have any of the people to count on to host parties for me. Which means that I need to get strangers to host parties. I tried to have two at my house, the 1st one was only my husband and his mother and step dad. The 2nd one got canceled and rescheduled to Sat because I only had 3 confirmed guests and this Sat isn't looking too much better but I'm going through with it anyway. Then I broke my laptop and so far haven't been able to recover anything so I lost all my flyers and postcards that I had to mail out.

I am soo discouraged. I do really want to do well but how do I find and stay motivated.

This is a great place to be for motivation. Don't give up. That does sound like a hard situation. Big bummer about your computer, too.There are lots of people who move away and still work their business. There are cd's to listen to about that topic. They may help you even though you haven't actually moved in the middle of your business. Step out of your comfort zone and start asking people you do business with. Take a treat to the bank and ask the ladies if they'd be interested in doing a starter show with you. Hair salon, oil changing place, etc. Don't give up.

Start looking into booths! That is a GREAT way to get your name out there & start booking shows outside your circle of friends. A booth at a flea market is not good enough, people will be looking for dirt cheap stuff there. You need to look into church bazaars, school bazaars, fundraiser opportunities, etc. The more you can get your name and face in front of strangers the easier it will be fore you! (((hugs)))

You also need to do Shows. Catalog shows are nice, but If you want to get your business going, you need the shows for bookings. If you are going to try an Open House again you need to over invite, just like we say to our hosts.
Also like Sheila said, try some booths,flea markets etc.... BUT don't give up!! :D

Ginger428 said:
You also need to do Shows...

Thats what I was saying, I don't have people around to invite to shows. I work almost an hr away from home, so those people won't travel to my house, my family is all far away, DH's family is very small and not very good at follow through, and we just moved to the neighborhood so I only know 3 of my neighbors. So even if I do it at my house I have a limited number of people to invite. I invited everyone I know for parties at my house and I only get 3 or 4 people coming.

I did do a booth on Sat, it was soo dead. But the others that were there told me to not get discouraged because it was very unusual to be that slow. I'll look around today for more booths.

I guess I'm just feeling extra whiney this morning.

I just noticed your avatar. "BELIEVE"! Stop yourself from looking at the negatives or allowing yourself to think negatively. It's hard sometimes, for sure, but that's a good way to start. Don't let yourself be negative. It's okay to whine to us every once in a while, but in general don't allow it in yourself. (Talking to myself, too.)

JAE said:
I just noticed your avatar. "BELIEVE"! Stop yourself from looking at the negatives or allowing yourself to think negatively. It's hard sometimes, for sure, but that's a good way to start. Don't let yourself be negative. It's okay to whine to us every once in a while, but in general don't allow it in yourself. (Talking to myself, too.)

LOL thank you for pointing that out. I actually am working it into my next tattoo, maybe if I do that then I'll really start believing lol
It is very easy to forget and get discouraged. Thank you everyone for encouragement. :)

And if your next show has 3 confirmed guests - don't cancel it (assuming that was why you rescheduled)....GO WITH IT! You never know but one of those three (or maybe all three) decide to host their own show. That one show can lead to two shows- which lead to 4 shows and so on!If we had a host of a cooking show tell us that she only had 3 confirmed guests, would you cancel? I hope not. I've had shows with just a few people RSVPd, but more showed up. People are terrible about RSVPing anyway!THe other advice is also great. :) Keep going....

Sheila said:
Start looking into booths! That is a GREAT way to get your name out there & start booking shows outside your circle of friends. A booth at a flea market is not good enough, people will be looking for dirt cheap stuff there. You need to look into church bazaars, school bazaars, fundraiser opportunities, etc. The more you can get your name and face in front of strangers the easier it will be fore you! (((hugs)))

I always see you all talked about church bazaars, school bazaars, booth...etc, just wonder how do you find them? Do you send flyer/letter to ask them? I know there is a local high school looking for funding to get new band uniforms and did think about to contact them to host a fundraiser but feel strange (no connection with them) and of course, I didn't do anything. I'm with Monty060609 that don't know how to get going. I'm not new in town but seems like I don't have a lot of connections or I don't know how to connect. :(

There's no harm in calling about the band fund raising or calling any organization that might need to fund raise. I think many times we know what to do but we have too much fear. Cold calls can be hard, but once you start doing them, it gets easier.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I thought about something to help you get motivated! How about earning enough money to pay for your "Believe" tattoo! That might be just what you need to force you out of your comfort zone!

Monty060609 - My closest relative is an hour away. The next closest is 2 hours away! So, I dedicate one weekend a month to shows in my hometown for family members or friends or guests from those previous "hometown" shows. Plus, they are MORE than happy to help me grow my business and it's really going well!Don't give up! Get involved with a few groups (church, school if you have kids, etc.) and you'll get it up and going. Take care!

You said you just moved into a neighborhood and only know 3 neighbors.
When you have an open house invite them, encourage them to bring a friend. Sometimes guests are more likely to come if they have a good friend with them. Also make flyers and give them to neighbors you haven't met. It would be a great way to meet them. Sometimes when someone is new to the neighborhood, people want to introduce themselves, but are reluctant.
Do you have children? Other mothers are a great way to get shows. You could try calling nursery schools for a fundraiser. They are always trying to raise $ to get new supplies and equipment, to help keep the costs down. Even if sales aren't high, it is a great way to find hosts. Mothers of young kids are always trying to find ways to get together and have fun. You could also try leaving a flyer where there are child activities. Karate, dance ect..
I am also trying to get more booths, I am going to try calling towns and see what spring events they have. Most towns have "community day" where there are always vendors.
My problem was last year when I was ready to do booths, I called to late, and it was already booked. I am going to call after the new year for spring booths. If it makes you feel better we all have been in your shoes. Even as I am writing this, I am lighting a fire under my me.

You also said you work 1 hour away how about doing a show at work so they don't have to travel or at one of ther homes

Or ask your co-workers to help you out by having a show- and let them know how much it will benefit them as well! (Assuming you wouldn't mind traveling out to their homes)

What are some common challenges faced in direct sales?

Some common challenges faced in direct sales include building a customer base, managing time effectively, setting and achieving realistic goals, and dealing with rejection.

How can I overcome rejection in direct sales?

To overcome rejection in direct sales, it's important to stay positive and focus on the successes you have had. Use rejection as a learning opportunity and make adjustments to your sales approach if needed. It's also helpful to have a support system of other direct sales professionals who can offer advice and encouragement.

What are some effective time management strategies for direct sales?

Effective time management strategies for direct sales include setting a schedule and sticking to it, prioritizing tasks, delegating when possible, and using time-saving tools and technology. It's also important to take breaks and avoid burnout.

How do I build a strong customer base in direct sales?

Building a strong customer base in direct sales takes time and effort. Some helpful strategies include networking, hosting events and parties, offering excellent customer service, and utilizing social media and other online platforms to reach potential customers. It's also important to follow up with customers and maintain relationships with them.

What are some tips for setting and achieving goals in direct sales?

To set and achieve goals in direct sales, it's important to make them specific, measurable, and achievable. Break larger goals into smaller ones and track your progress. It's also helpful to have an accountability partner or coach who can support and motivate you. Celebrate your successes and learn from any setbacks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lexif424
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Pampered Angel
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • KarenH