• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Planning for a Conference: How Much Time Between Classes?

In summary, make sure to leave enough time between classes for questions and breaks, bring plenty of paper for notes, and wear comfortable shoes. Tennis shoes may not be appropriate, but Crocs are a popular and comfortable option. Make sure to wear shoes that have been worn before to avoid blisters.
nikkijo
I'm registering for confrence right now and how much time should I leave between classes??

TIA!

Nikki

There is usually plenty of time between workshops. At the end of each workshop there is time for people to come up to the mike and ask questions. I usually stay and listen for a few minutes and then slip out to get in line for the restrooms! I think they allow 30 minutes between workshops and that is plenty of time to find your next class and hit the restroom or get a drink. Bring lots of paper for notes and wear comfortable shoes :)

You can only choose one class per class time. They don't overlap - at least, they don't look like they do!

Hopefully it will be a little more organized than last year, there was mass congestion:eek: and confusion:confused: on the stairway and escalator to get to some of the classes on the next floors. The second day it was a little better, but not 100%.

jdavis said:
Hopefully it will be a little more organized than last year, there was mass congestion:eek: and confusion:confused: on the stairway and escalator to get to some of the classes on the next floors. The second day it was a little better, but not 100%.

Yes, last year there were definitely more traffic jams than usual. I think it had something to do with construction in parts of the building. Of course...our group keeps growing each year too! :)

The one thing that has always impressed me at the McCormick center is that signage. It is very easy to find your workshop and get around. The people that have the most trouble would be the guys trying to find an open restroom!!:D They should give them a paper in their registration packet with maps to the men's room!

Does comfy shoes include nice/new tennis shoes?

TIA

lizcooks4u said:

TIA
Take a long walk in your shoes. Wear them all day. How do your feet feel? If they don't hurt, the shoes would be considered comfy.

lizcooks4u said:

TIA
You know, I think they really frown on tennis shoes! I'm not 100% sure on that, but I remember taking some with me and never wearing them because it didn't feel appropriate to me. But that could just be me, but I think I remember them not really approving! Just like how a lot of people say we really shouldn't demo in tennis shoes either, just something I've heard, don't shoot the messenger!:D

MissChef said:
You know, I think they really frown on tennis shoes! I'm not 100% sure on that, but I remember taking some with me and never wearing them because it didn't feel appropriate to me. But that could just be me, but I think I remember them not really approving! Just like how a lot of people say we really shouldn't demo in tennis shoes either, just something I've heard, don't shoot the messenger!:D

Get yourself a nice pair of croc's. They make them in so many different styles anymore. I love the little MaryJane's! Too cute, and COMFY! Also, if you go to the Croc website, they have little FlibbertyJibitz that you can accent your crocs with. (Even some Cheffy ones!!)

I went shopping for those Mary Jane crocs and tried some on and they were the ugliest things ever, and not as comfortable as some other shoes I have. I couldn't justify paying $30+ for plastic shoes. They look much cuter on kids.

I bought myself some comfy Mary Jane style Sketchers for one of my outfits, may get a 2nd pair in another color for my other outfit! :)

I agree with Kristin! CROCS!!! I'm wearing my black MJs right now. Wore them to church last week. :)

do NOT bring shoes you have either never worn or not worn for very long. There is alot of walking and you do not want blisters.

To wear or not to wear, that is the question!Ok, I'm all for the business attire and attended things at the McCormick Center where I have walked the ENTIRE day in business casual shoes and my feet hurt. I just hate for someone's preconceived notions or perceptions to affect my pain level! LOL! JMHO...

I know they frown on tennis shoes, but they are much more comfortable and safer. I'd rather get a few frowns then blisters on my feet that hurt me for longer than that frown may stay on that person's face...

Will I be sporting my tennis shoes for Conference - come to Wave 2 and find out! :)

Janet~

Here's another Wave 2 attendee who will be in one of two types of shoes:

1. Croc's...hot pink mary janes and a new pair of light blue "nile" Croc sandles are on order right now! (I am pretty certain that my Crocs will be what I will be in unless it's raining cats and dogs!)

OR

2. Tennies!

This will be my second conference...I am all for looking nice and I will have PC shirts/capri's or Khakis on along with my cool crocs! But, I am also all for being comfortable with all of the walking we will be doing inside McCormick Place and out in Chicago!

heat123 said:
I bought myself some comfy Mary Jane style Sketchers for one of my outfits, may get a 2nd pair in another color for my other outfit! :)
Heather~

You are just too cute! I forget what wave you are in...will I get to see you in your new birthday present outfits...WITH matching shoes?!?! :p

I wore nice pants & shirts or nice capris & such last year to the workshops & general sessions, but I wore them with tennis shoes. I plan to again this year. I don't care how stupid it might look--I have problems with my feet without all the walking! Plus I'll be 6 months pregnant this year, so you can bet I'm going for comfort!

Ok--I must be totally out of the loop. What are crocs? What do they look like?

Go to crocs.com

They are those "silly" looking plastic shoes that I SWORE I would never wear!! Well, I am eating my words cuz they are the greatest! Soooooo comfy!

Here are the two pair I will be sporting at conference!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/CrocsNilelightblue.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/CrocsMaryJaneFuchia.jpg

I must be in the minority here, because I think that, even with their supposed comfort figured in (and I don't have a pair, so I'm basing this on what everybody says about them) Crocs are not appropriate business casual shoes for Conference. Wear them for going out in Chicago, but not to Conference itself. There are a lot of comfortable, presentable shoes on the market today. Business casual does not mean that you have to wear 3" stilettos - a decent pair of ballet flats or loafers are completely acceptable.

I go to Conference to further my business. Even with the socializing, it IS a business event. I dress like it, and put myself in a more professional mindset to get more out of it. Save the sandals and sneakers for travel days and free time.

That's JMO.

I saw lots of SNEAKERS last year--not tennis shoes--SNEAKERS. I say, hey, as long as you look neat and don't stink, have at it! There were also plenty of people in jeans, too. I also saw lots of logoed PC shirts as well.

I love a professional look, but ya know, after spending the money for conference, spending the money to get to conference, you shouldn't have to buy new clothes. Just look neat and clean (oh yeah, and don't stink!), as professional as you can afford to be and you will be fine.

Last edited:
AJPratt said:
I saw lots of SNEAKERS last year--not tennis shoes--SNEAKERS. I say, hey, as long as you look neat and don't stink, have at it! There were also plenty of people in jeans, too. I also saw lots of logoed PC shirts as well.

I love a professional look, but ya know, after spending the money for conference, spending the money to get to conference, you shouldn't have to buy new clothes. Just look neat and clean (oh yeah, and don't stink!) and you will be fine.
Anne~

LOL

Gee, Anne. Were you stuck next to someone who was, shall we say, less than springtime fresh last year? :D

KellyTheChef said:
Janet~

1. Croc's...hot pink mary janes and a new pair of light blue "nile" Croc sandles are on order right now! (I am pretty certain that my Crocs will be what I will be in unless it's raining cats and dogs!)

OR

2. Tennies!

This will be my second conference...I am all for looking nice and I will have PC shirts/capri's or Khakis on along with my cool crocs! But, I am also all for being comfortable with all of the walking we will be doing inside McCormick Place and out in Chicago!

I don't have crocs because they are quite expensive around here and being the wife of a missionary, just don't spend much money on myself, but I do have a pair that are similar to crocs but the sandal style from Payless last year...they are SOOOO comfortable (just can't wear them on HO tour...).
They are bright orange though. After seeing your pink though, I may be sporting them for walking days.

...and to the other points, I am there to further my business, but my customers are out and about town, not at Conference. After working 8-5 daily for years in business-wear, I look forward to a little casualness...

Like Anne said though, clean and neat. I won't be showing up in mud stained torn jeans with dirty old tennis shoes...

janetupnorth said:
I don't have crocs because they are quite expensive around here and being the wife of a missionary, just don't spend much money on myself, but I do have a pair that are similar to crocs but the sandal style from Payless last year...they are SOOOO comfortable (just can't wear them on HO tour...).
They are bright orange though. After seeing your pink though, I may be sporting them for walking days.

...and to the other points, I am there to further my business, but my customers are out and about town, not at Conference. After working 8-5 daily for years in business-wear, I look forward to a little casualness...

Like Anne said though, clean and neat. I won't be showing up in mud stained torn jeans with dirty old tennis shoes...

Oh yeah - and don't stink! (LOL!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh yeah - and don't stink! (LOL!)

Thanks - I'll remember that! My Secret Prayer Pal at church just got me Liz Claiborne perfume as a late Easter early Mother's Day gift so I have a whole bottle to use! :D

...just kidding...my cousin used to drench himself in cologne...it was disgusting...took my other cousin and I YEARS to teach him to apply it right (...and to go take a shower!!!!).

KellyTheChef said:
Go to crocs.com

They are those "silly" looking plastic shoes that I SWORE I would never wear!! Well, I am eating my words cuz they are the greatest! Soooooo comfy!

Oh my! They have Disney Crocs...can't let my son see those...he'll be asking ALL the time!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Here is what I have in bright orange...

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsCasuals&Width=Regular&ItemCode=54069&LotNumber=045233&Type=Adult&Popularity=155&DescriptiveColor=Black

...and in womens'...I found them much more comfy than the clogs on my feet...but Payless doesn't have them in women's this year... :(

I only paid $9.99 for mine...

I only paid $15 shipped for my Crocs MJs. Just have to watch the sales and coupon codes. :)

I've been going to conference for 8 years and I say: "BE COMFORTABLE". With them moving it to the other end of McCormick last year there was soooo much walking...I'm not sure it will be like that this year...We may luck out and have it all down the end with the Arie Crown Center...much better..But then, I am staying right at the Hyatt Regency attached to McCormick so I'm there already!! whoooohoooo
I had a total hip replacement 3 1/2 years ago (2 days after coming back from conference) so I definitely sport the "tennis shoe" or another shoe that looks like tennis shoes. I have seen just about every kind of clothing and shoe that could possibly be worn at conference...so if you're comfortable with what you have on...good for you
karlene
see ya at wave 2

DebbieJ said:
I only paid $15 shipped for my Crocs MJs. Just have to watch the sales and coupon codes. :)
I just ordered my light blue Nile crocs today for $19.99 delivered!

That's a great deal you got Deb!

AJPratt said:

I love a professional look, but ya know, after spending the money for conference, spending the money to get to conference, you shouldn't have to buy new clothes. Just look neat and clean (oh yeah, and don't stink!), as professional as you can afford to be and you will be fine.

Sounds like there might be some serious issues involved here. :rolleyes:

KellyTheChef said:
Janet~

OR

2. Tennies!

Kelly, I purchased a pair of Mary Janes and tried on the Cayman. I wear a size smaller in the Mary Janes. My question is: I want a pair of Nile but they are not available locally so I would need to order them online. Did you get the same size as your Mary Janes and did they fit the same?

It doesn't matter what shoes you wear as long as they are clean and neat and COMFORTABLE.

It is a business conference and we should be professionally dressed but that can easily be achieved in comfort and little expense with a little thought. I agree with the comment that our customers are not there and we are among other consultants but I also believe that we are also being watched by lots of other people who are working and visiting the streets of Chicago and at other conferences at the McCormick and the hotels. Nice capris ARE appropriate in our business. Dress clean and nice and you will be fine.

As far as shoes are concerned: MANY women wear sneakers/tennis shoes with their business suits while walking on their lunch breaks and you will be walking a LOT. (Don't take this as we should wear business suits - that would be over dressing.:eek: )

Tennis ShoesI had another thought, but not sure I"ll do it. Wear Tennis shoes, brand new/comfy to walk in and take my dress flat black shoes with me in PC tote and change at meetings. I"m having a laparscopic procedure done on 6-29 and my Dr. Thinks I'll be fine if there's not too much walking, she said to take 1/2 pain pill if I need it thruout the day; I"m a little concerned now about the walking :( I had a lap px done previously though and didn't think walking really bothered me!!!

thanks

liz

People shouldn't stress so much about this. I wore comfy nice sandals when I went, and will do so again. I wear business casual I guess. Nice capris & maybe a skirt (lovely in the heat)...yes shirts too...no streaking! I WON'T compromise comfort for supposed style. Want to wear tennies? DO IT! I don't b/c I love sandals. They should be clean, not all worn out b/c you need to present yourself well, but to say no tennies? There are even cool tennies out there! Plus, crocs are loud and not at all "dressy". Are they comfy, then great! Wear them. I saw people at the Executive DINNER wearing shorts. There is a wide variety. Figure out what you'd be comfortable doing. Feel uncomfy if you are "under dressed"? Then dress up a little. I say pick mid-road. I'm not presenting. I'm just blending in the crowd. My main goal is to lose my main accessory I have at home (my 3 year old). ;-)

Oh...and if people are really staring at your feet...pointing, staring, the whole bit. Just think. They would be bored SILLY if you weren't there providing entertainment. I think in protest, I'll go barefoot. WITHOUT a pedicure....oooohhh!!!

lizcooks4u said:
I had another thought, but not sure I"ll do it. Wear Tennis shoes, brand new/comfy to walk in and take my dress flat black shoes with me in PC tote and change at meetings. I"m having a laparscopic procedure done on 6-29 and my Dr. Thinks I'll be fine if there's not too much walking, she said to take 1/2 pain pill if I need it thruout the day; I"m a little concerned now about the walking :( I had a lap px done previously though and didn't think walking really bothered me!!!

thanks

liz

Last year I wore my sneakers and carried my nice shoes in my bag -- when I got where I was going, I switched into the nicer shows. I plan to do that this year with my crocs.

Last year our NED banquet was in our hotel so that was GREAT...I could wear my dressy heels and not have to go far.

For the class I am presenting, I will wear my crocs to get there, switch into my shoes to present, then switch back to my crocs to walk to my next class. I'll be like Mr Rogers! LOL

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
SusanBP0129
Replies
Views
chefmoseley
Replies
Views
Admin Greg