• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Optimizing Your Show Orders: Laptop vs Manual Calculations - Is it Worth It?

In summary, the consultant thinks that a laptop would be a great idea for her show because it would save time and be more accurate. She also thinks that it is a positive thing to show potential recruits that EASY PamperedPartner is easy to use and that it is not necessary to use a laptop.
I love all the advice. My director has been using her laptop for years! I haven't tried it yet, because as someone mentioned, it's just more to carry. But I think I'm going to start.... I am calculator illiterate too! :p Mistakes and MAC calls ~ too embarassing.... :eek:

One thing I was checking on for faster service is an external numeric key pad. They hook right into your port if you have a newer computer model. It's much easier for me having been in the bookkeeping business. Like a telephone or a calculator, numbers are faster to find.

They go for usually under $10 on "e-trouble" bay for those who don't know, or sometimes you can find them at computer swaps. My director said that it makes her fingers move easier too. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice. It really helped me make a good decision.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[email protected]

Laptop usageI use ONLY my laptop at home for my PP software, so there is/would not be, any duplication of information to be entered. However, I think the only bad thing would be that you would have to either transfer the totals to their receipt, or print all the receipts for the customers' and deliver them to the host at a later date. Also, you'd have that additional cost of forms (using TWO receipts per customer). It'd be interesting to know how it works for you. I have had a few very large parties (16 and 28 guests) and I'm not sure how that would have worked. :rolleyes:

One thing I was checking on for faster service is an external numeric key pad. They hook right into your port if you have a newer computer model. It's much easier for me having been in the bookkeeping business. Like a telephone or a calculator, numbers are faster to find.

They go for usually under $10 on "e-trouble" bay for those who don't know, or sometimes you can find them at computer swaps. My director said that it makes her fingers move easier too. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice. It really helped me make a good decision.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[email protected][/QUOTE]

Just wanted to let you know that you can get them at Staples for about the same price...either hard wired or wireless. No sense paying the shipping on E-Bay.....

Have a great night,
Sandy

cheesehead said:
I am a new consultant and have already done a couple of successful shows. However, i am finding that even though I love doing the shows and all that goes into a show - I hate when it comes time to add up orders and then figure out the hosts benefits and totals. In the few shows I have had, I have already had a couple of errors...one guest did all of her own math and I "trusted" it was correct. Once I got home and entered it into PP, I saw an error and she had overcharged herself by over $10 and was no longer at the $50 mark for the free cookbook. Another order I goofed on some addition and overcharged someone who wrote a check by about $1.50. There was another guest error who didn't include one of her items and carried her totals to the columns and I just worked off that to add the tax and shipping. So she didn't get an item she orginally wanted (and I have since added it to another order).

Anyhoo, I know I could have caught the guest errors by just double checking, but I assumed they had done it correctly - I have learned not to assume anything anymore! ;) But this is what I am thinking about doing for my show this week... I loaded PP onto my laptop and plan to key in each guest and their order as they bring me their order form. I will only type in their name and order - none of the other info. Then when all the guest orders are in, I can sit down with the host and have exact sales numbers and have all of her benefits right in front of me to plug in her order to.

Here is where I am wondering if this is a good idea or bad idea... First of all, will the guest feel like I am taking up too much time by using a computer to punch in the item numbers?
second - is it worth my time to enter all the info into PP when I would have to reenter it all on to my computer at home that I transfer my orders from online.
third - am I making too big of a deal out of a simple part of my business?

What do you think? Should I just do it as a test run at my show this week to see if it goes better? Has anyone else done this and if so, how does it go over?

I bring my laptop to everything! So much easier ~ stress free. You can see your hosts benefits and get her excited, and so much less work when you get home (you already have the orders entered). I usually enter the addresses and drawing slip info later on at home. I also feel more professional having it, and half the guests ask me if PC gave me the laptop, to which I say no, but that it is tax deductible ~ this I think intrigues potentials.

I have left my computer home when I did a boutique once ~ there just aren't the sales, and since I'm the host there there's no problem figuring it out later. I do all the math with my calculater.

I got my laptop about 2 yrs ago, and what a difference it's made!!! With the new triplicate order forms, I can give my guests their copy after plugging in their order. I don't have to worry about adding wrong (I, too, am mathmatically challenged!!), and they can take a copy of their order home with them.
I enter all their personal info at home, which takes a lot less time at the show. It also makes it easier for my host to see exactly what her benefits are ~~ they love that!!!

Jill Wright
Director, Benicia, CA

My husband bought me a laptop fo Christmas, he says since he knew it would help my business. part of me wanted to beat him to death for spending the money but the rest of me is SOO thrilled.
I have all my pampered info on it and I cant wait to take it to my next show!

I get my laptop next month as I have been saving up for it for several months now!! I am so excited and know it is going to make PC much easier.

I kept reading how everyone is printing out their PP receipts to give to the hostess? My question is why are you wasting this money?

I do this now and have for several months. I use the outside order forms at the show. If you print them up both sides now they are a legal receipt. I called and specifically asked this. Home Office comfirmed it! So now I bring home the order forms, enter them in and then mail or drop off the same order forms to the host. It has saved me so much in money from not having to order triplicates or PP receipts.

I decided that when I get my laptop, I will let the customer keep their order form so I don't have to worry about get them a reciept, and since PC sends a detailed order list to the host if you turn in your order via PP, I will not even have to worry about getting to her what the customers ordered.

To me, this makes my life so much easier and costs me a whole lot less in postage.

God Bless,
Dee

Laptop use-questionI have been using my laptop at my shows- I enter the orders right there, and it makes things very easy, and I know the tax is correct- 1 problem though, and I hope someone can help me- last night I had a GREAT show, 20 guests, 17 orders just from the show, my problem is, it took me almost 1 1/2 hours to get everyone's orders done- to save time, I just entered the name under contacts, and then went to the show, and pulled up the contact and entered the order. I thought about just adding guest at show screen, but then I would have 2 listings in contacts for that person when I went back to add the information. I hope I have not confused anyone, but does anyone have any ideas to speed things up a bit?

mrssyvo said:
, I just entered the name under contacts, and then went to the show, and pulled up the contact and entered the order. I thought about just adding guest at show screen, but then I would have 2 listings in contacts for that person when I went back to add the information.

You do not have to enter the person in the contacts first. Just enter them in as a guest. Once you are home and inputting in addresses and other contact info, check the box at the bottom of the address screen - something like update contacts. It will save the information to your contact database.

This is what I do and it does not take much time.

Hope this helps.

Shari, Thank you. I will try it again. I had done it that way before, and I ended up with the guest twice in my contacts, one with the info, and one without. I will try it again this weekend. I figured there has to be a better way.

I LOVE MINE!!! :D I have not had any Host's or Guest's with negative comments or feedback in regards to my laptop. I really like being able to have the information entered before I leave my Hosts' home so that I don't have to do it later (double duty) and my Host's know exactly where they stand so far in FPV/Half price/discount! Sometimes I think it is an eye opener to them on just how close they are to the next level and what they can get if they achieve the next level. ;) I am in the process of getting a portable printer to take with me too so that I can print out the guest reciepts to give my Host before I leave her/his home. I think this will save some time and maybe a little money in the long run. Besides, with PC getting our show orders out so quickly these past few months I feel bad if the Host doesn't get her/his reciepts before the products arrive. Will try this out and let you know how it works. :)

I have been taking my laptop with me to shows for the last six months and I love it. I've never had a host or guests complain, as a matter of fact, most people think it is very professional! I've been wondering about the order forms so I think I will find a show order form and let the guests keep the outside order form, great idea! I also find that is saves a lot of time and vitually no mistakes on orders. Also a great tax write-off! :D

Love to use at shows and closingsHi there - I have used a laptop at my shows to process orders and place bookings immedidately. The biggest benefit for me was the closing of a show. Rather than hand write all of my hosts closing information, it all went into the PP Program and boom we were done. It made my closings much more efficient and pleasurable. Again too, it also shows potential consultants that with our PP Program, closings are no sweat. I am familiar with some organizations that their closings are confusing and paperwork heavy.
Hope this helps!

PamperedRozeI use my laptop at my shows - I actually use my products folder as my screen saver. So I point my laptop to the audience and as I'm doing a presentation, they can actually see the pc products slide show of each product on my 15" screen. i get a lot more questions when I start to wind down and it's helped with my orders. :p rl

Wow
pamperedroze said:
I use my laptop at my shows - I actually use my products folder as my screen saver. So I point my laptop to the audience and as I'm doing a presentation, they can actually see the pc products slide show of each product on my 15" screen. i get a lot more questions when I start to wind down and it's helped with my orders. :p rl

What a great idea! I always use my laptop at my shows, and never even thought about incorporating it into the show!

pamperedroze said:
I use my laptop at my shows - I actually use my products folder as my screen saver. So I point my laptop to the audience and as I'm doing a presentation, they can actually see the pc products slide show of each product on my 15" screen. i get a lot more questions when I start to wind down and it's helped with my orders. :p rl

That's pretty neat. I'm gonna try this. :) Thanks!

pamperedroze said:

What do you mean by this? I'm not getting how you use it?

laptopIn regards to the laptop I have a router but not a wireless one. My husband has it fixed where I can plug it in to my laptop and be able to access the internet from the laptop and so don't need to transfer the information from one computer to the other. He went online (perhaps to Cox; I'll find out for sure) and paid a start up fee so that if I do want to submit the show from the hosts home I just need access to a phone line and it will send it electronically from the host's home. If the host is not ready to close out her show then just enter the information on each order and when the show is ready to close out you can send it electronically from the laptop and can also back up information on the floppy disk. I believe my husband told me that if I use the internet at the host show I have 5 hours per month (not rolled over each month) to use but if I go over that amount there is an additional fee. I'll ask my husband more about it and get back to you on this. I have not submitted anything from the host's home as of yet but did take it to a host's home and enter the show information which was great so there are less errors made.

Susan A.
Moore, OK

Laptop
its_me_susan said:
What do you mean by this? I'm not getting how you use it?

I have a folder on my computer that has pictures of the PC Products. I use that folder as my screen saver. So when my computer "goes to sleep" it automatically uses my PC pics as a slideshow for my guests.

Step 1: Create your folder. My folder is stored in MY DOCUMENTS, MY PICTURES labeled PC Pics
Step 2: Close out all folders and documents until you have a clean view of your desktop.
Step 3: Right click on your desk top in an area where there are no icons or folders. You'll get a box menu
Step 4: Click on PROPERTIES in the box menu
Step 5: Click on the Tab SCREENSAVER
Step 6: Click on BROWSE and look for your folder, choose it as your screensaver
Click OK and you're done. Once your computer is sitting idle for a few minutes, you will have a slide show of your pc products.

*All of these steps are what it takes for my computer with Windows XP 2003. If you have a different version, the steps will vary. Have fun. rl

I first bought a laptop because I was a sailer and didn't find to helpful to have a cumputer I couldn't use most of the time and was collecting dust at home when I was at sea. How ever when I started PC I started bringing my laptop to my show to do the closing but I nerver thought using PC products as my screen saver. I think it's a great idea, easy to display some great product and good way to have the guest talk about it.

I use my laptop at every show. It is very simple to do. It does not take a lot of time and is a great booking tool because the guests see first hand what the hostess is going to walk away with. You can also use it as a great recruiting tool to show potentials what you just earned in so little time and with no effort. Secondly, you won't have to reload everything onto your pc at home. Buy a scandisk (portable memory key) backup your pc to that, then when you turn your laptop on and start PP RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Everything on your PC is now on the laptop. When you are finished with your show, backup the laptop to your scandisk. When you get home restore PP from backup on the scandisk. It's that simple! Good Luck.

Laptops - all in oneI have been using a laptop at my shows for about 3 or 4 years now. I have really streamlined how I do orders. I use the outside order form that the home office has on the website. My hubby makes copies for me at work (saves me a TON of money) and I take the receipts home with me at the show. I put in everyone's order and their payment amounts into PP right there at the show. at home i put in phone numbers and addresses and such. i use PP contact management for everything. so when someone schedules a show, i can put in the dates for host coaching right away.

sometimes people say "oooohhhh...look at the lap top. fancy." i tell them right away that this is something for me to help tally their orders. i tell them i was a television major in college not math. i need all the help i can get in adding. hahahaha :p

anyway, i also tell them i get the laptop from my hubby's work. he is in IT and when they replace their computers (which they do every 2 years or so) once everyone has their new ones and they are up and running, the dept just gets rid of the old ones. so, he takes a decent lap top home, spruces it up a bit for me and wa la! new laptop for the cost of maybe some additional memory. i am very lucky in this regards i know.

i also love the laptop because i can take my business anywhere. we travel quite a bit to family and when i am closing out a show and going to be out of town, i can take the laptop with me, check emails and tallying shows and orders.

i am trying to reduce the number of paper in my files and putting everything into my computer and then burn the files onto CD for reference. but that is a whole other topic...

hope this input helps.

slideshowI take my laptop to my shows, most of the time, and before, during and a little after the show I have my screensave running with the upcoming guest and host specials and a couple other flyers maybe even some quick tips. If you are running XP you can save JPEG files into a specific folder and it will run through those files when you set that folder as your screen saver. OR if you are really creative you can make a power point presentation, just make sure you have your screensaver and hybernation set to not come on at all or for a very long time.
I would agree though it makes putting orders in so much easier. People are so impressed that I can type in the product number and all the info pops up.
ALSO, I read on this board not to long ago someone was thinking of showing the s/s DVD at their shows... just pop it in your laptop you don't have to worry about your host having a DVD Player.
Another idea, take your laptop to any home shows or fairs you maybe be doing and run your slide presentation all day. It catches peoples attention and makes them slow down so you can reel them in to talk. :)

I bought a new laptop and have been using it at my shows too. Everyone is so impressed with how easy it is to put in the orders and my past host, are so grateful cause if I know they are coming, I add them in as a guest, type in there address and phone, and log in there past hostess number before the show. So they don't have to worry about, "Oh I forgot my hostess number" cause I did it for them.

Question...'cause I'm new here.

I really like the idea of using the laptop at the show and will probably do that, too.

If we don't use the order forms (even if it's just to transfer the total after they've entered their line items) then the guests won't have the receipt for replacement/exchange...what do y'all do in that case?

I use my laptop at shows, but the guests still complete a sales receipt. I quickly write down the totals on their receipt and give them their copy. When I get home, I'll enter guests' addresses and information on their individual screens. Sometimes I'll do this at shows if there is down time between taking orders. I love my laptop! It totally saves time and prevents me from making mistakes. Plus the hosts like to see an accurate total of where their show is at before I leave their home.

When I used to use the plain outside order forms before they did the triplicate copy write in ones, I didn't give guests a receipt, but offered to write their totals on a business card and let them know they'd get an official receipt with their order. I never had any problems with this.

You can try a variety of different ways to handle this and see which works best! :D

use PP receiptssince i use the outside order forms, the guests do not get a receipt at the show and so far no one has complained. i take extras along in case someone wants one to take. i print out the receipts on the official pp receipt paper and mail to the host so she knows who gets what. that way everyone ends up with just one receipt. even when i did the the triplicate paper receipts and they ended up with 2, when someone needed something replaced i was still printing out receipts because no one keeps them.

that seems to work best for me.

LindaK said:
Question...'cause I'm new here.

I really like the idea of using the laptop at the show and will probably do that, too.

If we don't use the order forms (even if it's just to transfer the total after they've entered their line items) then the guests won't have the receipt for replacement/exchange...what do y'all do in that case?

My guest still fill out an order form. I have them bring it up to me when they are done, I input everything into PP and give them there receipt. I use my laptop for mainly for the math. PP does it all for me even with a past host I don't have to worry about goofing up the 10% they get off since PP automatically takes it off for me. Plus I like that my host can see right there how much she is totaling up in free products and half off items and % off. They get all excited seeing the money increase.

In short, I still make my customers fill out the form. :)

I now use the new 3 part outside order forms and leave the customer copy with the customer at the show. When I submit the order through PP, I print the PP sales receipts and send them to the host with the thank you letter.

Prior to the 3part forms, I used my own outside order forms and let the customer know that when their order was delivered they would receive their receipt. I did it this way for almost 2 years.

laptop @ showsI got a laptop soon last spring and found it a little more time consuming at the shows but it caught a lot of little errors that saved time and money in the long run. I just put in the name and products in PP and it does all the figuring. I tell the guest that they will get the receipt with the warranty and info on back with their order. I then go home, finish out the show with any after show orders the host may get and print off the receipts and mail them right away to the host. The orders get to the host quickly that the one host got her receipts the same day she got her order! Personally I like to use the laptop. Just give it a try and see how it goes for your shows!

pchefmomof2 said:
I LOVE MINE!!! :D I have not had any Host's or Guest's with negative comments or feedback in regards to my laptop. I really like being able to have the information entered before I leave my Hosts' home so that I don't have to do it later (double duty) and my Host's know exactly where they stand so far in FPV/Half price/discount! Sometimes I think it is an eye opener to them on just how close they are to the next level and what they can get if they achieve the next level. ;) I am in the process of getting a portable printer to take with me too so that I can print out the guest reciepts to give my Host before I leave her/his home. I think this will save some time and maybe a little money in the long run. Besides, with PC getting our show orders out so quickly these past few months I feel bad if the Host doesn't get her/his reciepts before the products arrive. Will try this out and let you know how it works. :)

Do you have any idea what the prices are like? Printing them there would save loads in postage too! My last few shows have had 15-23 guests, which is heavy to send out receipts.

its_me_susan said:
Do you have any idea what the prices are like? Printing them there would save loads in postage too! My last few shows have had 15-23 guests, which is heavy to send out receipts.
I got a lightweight printer last year at Walmart for under $40 and it works great! I intended to take it to shows but that one more bag is not worth it for me. I have taken it to conferences and such and it has been nice to have.

I used the laptop last night for a show and it was GREAT!!!!

I like the printer idea for printing out the receipts, but I have a question. Will that receipt work at the HO for an exchange if something goes wrong with a product ordered?

I just transfered the tax and amount to the ordersheets for last night, but am considering one of those little printers.

Thanks for this thread y'all, it really was so much easier (and mistake free)!

Thanks,
LindaK

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• California Girl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ashvel
  • CAPCnewbie
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views