• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Prep Work Do You Do Before Your Pampered Chef Show?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the level of prep work done before a cooking show and how it can affect the length and success of the presentation. Some participants do a lot of prep work in advance, while others prefer to do it during the show. Using prep bowls and demonstrating how tools work can also be beneficial. The general consensus is that shorter presentations are more effective and guests do not want to be at a show for too long. There is also discussion about who buys the ingredients and whether the host or consultant does the prep work.
loreedfk
And how much prep work do you do before the show begins? I definitely did not do enough prep work for my last show and felt like it really dragged on - I even ended up with moments of silence while I was trying to chop a bunch of chicken!

I'd love to know what level of prep work everyone else is doing!

Hi!

This is just me, everyone does something different.

I try to get as much done in advance. I make sure that everything is prepped, I have all the ingredients I need and in what order I need to use them. I also make sure that most of the work is done before the guests get there.

For instance, when I using the APCS, I do all but one apple or potato. That way they can see how it works, but don't have to sit through me peeling 4 or more of them. They get the idea when they watch me, and once is sufficient. Then I usually have an extra potato or apple for them to play around with when the demo is over.

I try to make my presentations as short as possible but still get the content. It's quality, not quantity and people want to hang out with their friends, not listen to a stranger....

That's just my take. Plus, it gives me more time to mingle and talk to potential hosts/recruits one on one.

Good luck!!
Jaye

I also do as much prep ahead as I can. I use the prep bowls at every show to hold all the ingredients so there is little measuring that has to be done. It also saves space at the table. I have sold a lot of prep bowl sets this way. Guests see how quickly you put the recipe together and can imagine themselves making quicker meals at home using them. I try to make my presentation from beginning to end 30 minutes and use any remainder baking time to just answer questions and really push recruiting and booking

I make sure that everything is prepped, sometimes the night before. I use the prep bowls and tell everyone that if you watch a cooking show they use prep bowls. I save a garlic clove to show them the garlic press.

My last show..... I did most of my prep work at home took little sandwhich bags and put the ingrdience in and the things that I planned on demoing I left a small amount so the guest could see how the tool worked. :) it took about 15 mins off of my acutally presenation.

my shows are about an hour. Half an hour to show case recipie/tools, half an hour to cook in oven and talk about stoneware/cookware and do some cooks tips. I also prep for an hour before hand and then I aim to do the sales for about an hour. Put your dirty dishes into the sink before you do your sales and then someone (hopefully the host ;) will clean them for you!

Of course, I am quite new so it takes me a bit longer but I am going for 3.5 hours for everything including clean up.

Misty

I try to keep mine at 30-40 minutes. Most of my shows are over in about 2 hours or a little more. I do most of the prep work ahead of time if it is a bunch of ingredient. If it is just of an item I do them both at the show. It really depends on what I am making. If i do a second recipe I do all of it before the show and just assembly it there or if it something that needs to bake i have it baking while I am doing my demo of the other recipe.

I try to keep mine as short as possible. I know when I have been to show I do not want to be there all night as a guest, so, I try to put myself in their shoes.

Those of you that pre prep. Do you buy the ingredients?

I was wondering the exact same thing! My hostess has all my ingredients washed and sitting on the counter ready for me. I arrive 1 hour prior to do my prep work and my show lasts no longer than 1 hour and 30 minutes...much more...they are bored to death.

I do my prep work at the hosts house unless it is a bunch and then i will purchase the ingredients and have them reimburse me. Most of my host while I am working, will at least rinse my products off to make them easier for me to clean when i get home.

Yes I buy the ingredenace......Yes I know that the hsot is supposed to but for me it works out alot eaiser for me. Becasue I know what to buy and what brand works best for the recipie.

I'm trying to get my shows shorter. I do most of the prep ahead of time, but I'm thinking maybe I'll try to do even more (I sell LOTS of prep bowls too!). I'd like to get the demo done 1/2 an hour after the show's start time-even with intros. Maybe I'll hold intros until it's baking? Seems like with some crowds, we can really get talking about the products during that time! Some people can only stay an hour & I'd like them to have a chance to eat.

I do two recipes if there are 10 or more expected guests--and I make the second ahead of time. I buy the ingredients & tell the hosts up front that the food is never more than $15 (I'll write off the rest--unless there are certain circumstances when we would need more food or something) & they get $15 in free products as a thank you for that. I tell them that I don't want them to have to run to the grocery store & most are happy enough with that!

I ALWAYS buy the ingredients...then I simply have the host write me a check. I don't want the items replaced. Just the money. Why the heck would I want to drag stuff back home? Unless I have a show in the next few days, the fresh stuff goes bad.
I too do most of the prep before hand. If I am show casing a specific product, Mandoline, APCS or the Food Chopper I leave a "little" of whatever to use at the show. I always do two recipes. The catch, one is always a cold dish or a dessert that is completed before I leave the house. 1 hour set-up and additional prep if needed when I arrive, (this gives ME time to greet the guests), 30 minutes of talking/demoing and about 30 minutes order taking, 15 to 30 minutes pack up and jibber jabbering with the lollygaggers. I love that part! Prep Bowls, batter bowls and the stainless mixing bowls are my best friends because they all have lids! All the ingredients are put into those. (Sorry to whomever uses baggies, get the Prep Bowls. Baggies look bad and impressions are everything in this business!) If people see you using things, they want more info or buy. Anyone can get baggies and you don't sell those!
And whomever said that she was told the host IS SUPPOSED TO BUY THE INGREDIENTS, IS WRONG!
It is up to you how you want to work that. Not the host, not your director not the home office, you make that call. So the host does NOT HAVE TO buy the ingredients but you MAY have the host buy or YOU can.

Last edited:
My presentation is about 30 minutes. I bring food with me, and then show the garlic pull-aparts. While they are baking (20 minutes) I show people the catalog page by page and pass around items. After I pull them out we eat, play Queen of shoppers, answer questions, then take orders. I like to be in and out. My host appreciate not donating a whole day to holding a show as well.

krzymomof4 said:
Those of you that pre prep. Do you buy the ingredients?

Some of the ingredients I buy. ex: tomatoes sometimes the host buys mushy ones. It depends on what recipe I make.

Up till now I never did any cooking or prep at home but did prep as much as I could before the guests arrive; demo putting it together; while cooking, go over other products; then eat while taking orders. I would get there at 6:30 for 7:00 show and was on my way home by 9ish.

I am starting a whole new show (very nervous until I get the kinks out!):

I will prepare the recipe at home. Depending on the recipe, I will either pop it in the oven when I get to the host's home or have it DONE when I get there. I will bring something from each line of our products and some of the most popular/newest and the TTA with the smaller tools and chopper.

When guests arrive they will visit with their friends and look over/touch/play with the products while filling their plates. I am going to have the host HOST - she will greet the guests, pass out the catalogs and receipts. I will SERVE and teach them about the products. I'll talk briefly about the recipe they are enjoying and then I will start with introductions. I will ask them to introduce themselves and tell us their favorite PC product (no one can repeat - if someone says large round stone, noone else can say stone). I'll ask what they love about it, use it for, anyone else have suggestions for that product, tips and techniques from me, a quick air demo of some of the products if needed, host/recruit lines, cross sell other products in that line and then on to the next guest. If someone is new to PC I will suggest they tell us something they're interested in or something they see in the book or on my table. Hopefully by the time we are done with that we have covered everything. If a major area is missed (like cookware) I will then talk about that and of course the round up program and the specials. Then we'll do a door prize and orders.

This show should last 45 minutes to an hour depending on how many people are there. I should arrive at 6:30 and be out the door by 8:00 or 8:30 if there's a big crowd. The only dishes I will have when I get home are the serving dishes (and maybe the chopper or mandoline if I demo a garnish or technique with food).

The only thing I will ask the host to provide is the beverage, paper products and things like crackers or ice cream to go with the recipe or something like that.

I'm still working through the details...

Beth have you tried this out? If so how did it go? How do the sales compare between the two different types of shows?

It sounds like something worth trying.

nikkijo said:
Beth have you tried this out? If so how did it go? How do the sales compare between the two different types of shows?

It sounds like something worth trying.
Haven't tried it yet. Just decided on it. My next show isn't until Thursday (and not sure that she's not going to need to reschedule - lol).

SOUNDS GREAT>>> I might try this.....

When I prep the food at home like I did for my last show, I felt like by the time I got to the hostess house that I wasn't disorganized.... when I prep the ingreidence at the hostess house I felt like a dis organized mess..... NOW I dont I take the time at home which is nice!! :)

This is pretty much the show that I do! I bring the recipe fully cooked, then demo the garlic pull-aparts (takes 5 mins) and pop them into the oven. We play Queen of Shoppers, then I go through the catalog page by page and pass around items as I talk about them. I pull out the pull-aparts as I am done with them, and we eat. As they are eating I talk in depth about hosting and joining PC. After eating I take orders and ask again about hosting/joining. I like afternoon shows, but I usually leave my house at 1pm for a 2pm show, and am home by 4:30. Sometimes my kids are napping and don't even know I left! DH doesn't have to change any diapers either!

That is how I have been doing my shows for 2 1/2 yrs BETH---I went on the cruise!!--so it hasn't hurt anything--I don't have host reimburse for food--(just my thing)---also I do suggest to my newbies that they get the $10 or $15 back from Host because host is getting 15 FPV---don't want my newbies to start out spending more $$

Hosts love that they don't have to shop for ingredients and that we are done at a reasonable hour---even if they spend 2-30 minutes mingling before I even start my show--I talk 30-35 minutes

I try to get there an hour early but if I'm not --oh well because all stuff is prepared ahead----only one will need in oven and that is baking while I talk

Good Luck!:D

I haven't had any problems prepping at the hosts house and showing them a sneak preview of the tools and stuff. I get there early enough so that they can help and use the products.

As for the ingredients, I buy them and bring them myself. I do not ask for reimbursement back because then I can deduct them as supplies from my taxes. If you get reimbursed I don't think they become deductable.

Chef SusanYou mentioned you get to the show an hour early.....do you prepare your recipe at the Host's house during that time or make it at home? Do you just do an air demo of the products while the recipe is baking? If so, do you find that is enough to demo the products.

I work full-time, as well as do PC so, depending on how far I have to drive for my show, I often only have about 45 minutes from the time I get home until I am on the road again for my show. During that time, I try to eat, freshen up, and finish any last minute packing for my shows. There is no way I would have time to prepare a recipe at home before I go.

Obviously, if you have earned the cruise, this can't have hurt your show average. I like the idea of the shorter show, as I sometimes worry mine go on longer than I like. However, when you've got a good thing going (I've earned the trip the last two years and am 2000 points away from this year's), it's sometimes scary to change things up too much. Just looking for any suggestions to make my life easier. Thanks.

1. How long is your presentation typically?

Our standard presentation is approximately 1-1.5 hours long. However, the length can vary depending on the specific products being demonstrated and the level of engagement and questions from the audience.

2. Do you offer shorter presentations for busy schedules?

Yes, we understand that everyone's schedule is different. We offer condensed versions of our presentation that can range from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your needs and availability.

3. How much time should I budget for a full product demonstration?

A full product demonstration typically lasts about 3 hours. This includes the presentation, time for guests to try out products, and any additional time for ordering and questions.

4. Can I request a longer presentation for a more in-depth experience?

Absolutely! We are happy to accommodate longer presentations for those who want a more thorough and hands-on experience with our products. Please let us know in advance so we can plan accordingly.

5. Is there a minimum or maximum number of attendees for a presentation?

There is no minimum or maximum number of attendees for our presentations. We are happy to work with groups of any size, from small intimate gatherings to larger events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvmypomeranian
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
mom4angela
  • completelychristie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Stephaniem
Replies