• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Long Did It Take You to "Bust Out of Your Circle"?

In summary, the conversation was about how to expand one's business beyond their immediate circle of family and friends. The participants discussed their own experiences and challenges with finding new customers and hosting parties. Some mentioned that the economy and personal comfort levels can affect the success of booking parties with new people. However, others shared strategies such as playing games and having fun at shows to attract more bookings. Anecdotes were also shared about unexpected opportunities for bookings, including a stranger approaching someone's car to schedule a party.
ChefCat
I realize it will be different for everyone and depends on many factors but I would like to hear about how everyone "busted out of their circle" and about how long it took? By busting out of your circle I am referring to finding business with people you don't already know first hand like family, friends or neighbors.

I am finding it difficult to "bust out". I am trying and I know I could probably be more aggressive, like at Spring Launch, the comparison of Anna-Aggressive, Jenna-Just-Right and Polly-Passive. I probably fall more in line with a Polly-Passive with a nice mix of Jenna-Just-Right. I am getting support from family but it is definitely more obligatory support and not genuine enthusiasm. So some things just are not within my comfort level when I know people are only helping because I asked. Like my sister-in-law, she hosted a party and only one person came besides my mom and my mother-in-law. She was a pissed that other people didn't come but since she didn't even really want to have a party I think that was conveyed to her friends and then they didn't want to drive all the way out. Does that make since? I guess I feel that I have yet to find anyone who really even wanted to have a party. The economy here in Michigan is not good, as it a lot of places I know, but money is tight, I think that has some to do with it too. Maybe I am too impatient, my director has been very encouraging and supportive of the work and steps I have taken, does it just take some time?

Enough of my rambling- tell me about you! What was your experience like for "busting out"?

I got out of mine pretty quicky, my first month was all people I knew, the 2nd month, I had 7 shows and only 3 were people I knew prior. I don't have much family living near me so many were neighbors or friends, or kids friends parents. I started in October 2008 and had a good run until Christmas, but didn't get bookings for the beginning of the year and ended up with 1 show in January & February and kept that 2-4 show average until November of last year where I ended up with 6. I am in a super snowball since the first of the year and have more bookings than I know what to do with, which is wonderful! I have really expanded out of any circle I may have had! The key is getting bookings from people at shows that have more friends then the ones at that show and that has been happening for me.
Since I started playing some games and really having more fun with my shows, I've had more bookings come from each show, plus much higher sales than I used to have. But this is also the 2nd time around for me as a PC consultant. The first time, I got in a serious rut and ended up quitting because I could get no one to have shows for me.
We are lucky here in SD, the economy did not get as bad as other areas, at least from the way people are spending money, I wouldn't know it!
Good luck and hang in there, oh and get some window decals from Merrill, I just had a guy call me while I was out driving because he saw that and wanted to place an order! I was so excited that those are paying off!:p

Careyann said:
Good luck and hang in there, oh and get some window decals from Merrill, I just had a guy call me while I was out driving because he saw that and wanted to place an order! I was so excited that those are paying off!:p

I was picking up my middle DS from school yesterday and a lady approached my car with my oldest DS, who wouldn't open the door or roll the window down (glad he remembered what I taught him :D) because she wanted to get some info or leave her name. As I was coming out of the school she came over to me and said I want to have party, here is my name and number. So I am calling her tonight to get it scheduled. She also used to be a consultant, but quit because she couldn't get the bookings. Who know's she might decide to sign again after we talk. :)

I've run out of my circle, and it seems around here that no one really wants to book a party. I keep getting "not right now" or "not interested". We've got some possible fundraisers, but that's about it. I may have to get the decals and hopefully that can help.
Any other suggestions for getting shows when no one seems to want one?

One great way to break out of your circle is to do a show at a local mall or event. Offer "Free Shows" as a door prize--your bring the food for the demo, they just supply the house and friends. Everyone who enters can win! You could also offer an incentive to people to book a party to try and get to some new customers.I also LOVE my window decals--I have a Santa Fe (Hyundai) and they fit nicely on the far back window. I have had great success with the $30+ they cost. I do believe my hosts like it when I drive to their shows in my car, as well.

If my host has people coming to her home who have never been there before, I have them tell the guests to look for my car with the PC decals on it. It has helped! :D

Last edited:
My fourth show was with a stranger. I joke that I've been doing shows for strangers ever since. LOL

I got a call from this lady of a friend who went to one of my shows, and she wants to have a show. I was in here area and went to drop off the host packet, and she lives in my grandfather's old house! It has been over 30 years since I'd been there.

gailz2 said:
I got a call from this lady of a friend who went to one of my shows, and she wants to have a show. I was in here area and went to drop off the host packet, and she lives in my grandfather's old house! It has been over 30 years since I'd been there.

How cool is that.

I can think of a couple things that helped me break out of my circle. Actually, I only had about a half-circle to begin.

1. My neighbor had a party, and she invited people I didn't know. One of those people booked a party, which led me to a whole different area, and all new people - I can still trace shows today back to that show.

2. I had a Pampered Chef button that I wore on my coat. In fact, I still wear one, I've gotten many more comments and orders and shows from my pin, than from the tote. Anyway, I literally bumped into a lady while shopping at the health food store, and she saw my pin and said "Pampered Chef, I love Pampered Chef - I'd love to have a party". We exchanged business cards, I called her that evening, and she booked a party....which led to a ton of other parties...

Both of these happened right at the beginning of my career, and I can still see the fruit from those two shows. It really does only take ONE SHOW to make your business really take off, so don't give up!

ChefBeckyD said:
Both of these happened right at the beginning of my career, and I can still see the fruit from those two shows. It really does only take ONE SHOW to make your business really take off, so don't give up!

That is so true. I have a neighbor who has done 2 shows for me, the first one, was in the beginning and didn't get a ton of bookings from it. The 2nd one she did last fall, I got a booking for January, that was a $1256.00 show and the bookings I have got from that show and then the next have been huge (I love people in the medical profession, they are such awesome hostesses & customers!)

I'm kind of wondering how much luck has to do with it? Like being in the right place at the right time and someone bumping into you or seeing your car decals. When I am able to get out of the house I have had some positive responses to my catalog tote and logo wear. Nothing yet that has panned out to a party or even an order though. I'm stuck at home with the kids quite a bit until it is warmer. I have one son and I babysit for a friends son 4 days a week. I don't have a car seat for the friends son. Once it is warmer we will be able walk to the beach and park. I am planning (hoping) to see my business grow then. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share, I would love to hear more stories too! =)

For me so far the key has been doing booths... this coming month I have 3 shows booked - 2 are from booth contacts, 1 is a lady I've met at my other job (starbucks). I'm hoping these will help to keep me going outside my circle!

cheflorraine said:
For me so far the key has been doing booths... this coming month I have 3 shows booked - 2 are from booth contacts, 1 is a lady I've met at my other job (starbucks). I'm hoping these will help to keep me going outside my circle!

I do alot of booth's also. Great way to get out of your circle.

ChefCat said:
I'm kind of wondering how much luck has to do with it?

I married a great man. People often say to him, "you guys are so lucky to have such a great marriage." Jason always responds, "Luck has nothing to do with it." It is the same in your business. You need to commit to it and work it. It doesn't just happen by luck. Call everyone at every single show you have ever done and ask them to host a show. AND at the very least have your friend leave the car seat with you so you can get out of the house.

BTW, when I joined you needed 6 shows to qualify. I only had 4 friends in this town and no family.

cookingwithlove said:
I married a great man. People often say to him, "you guys are so lucky to have such a great marriage." Jason always responds, "Luck has nothing to do with it." It is the same in your business. You need to commit to it and work it. It doesn't just happen by luck. Call everyone at every single show you have ever done and ask them to host a show. AND at the very least have your friend leave the car seat with you so you can get out of the house.

BTW, when I joined you needed 6 shows to qualify. I only had 4 friends in this town and no family.

I agree! I needed 6 shows when I started too, and I signed under one of my best friends (who had also just started a couple months before me) - and almost all of my friends had just had, or had already booked, parties with her. I didn't have any family willing to do parties. I had a neighbor, and a couple work friends who helped me get started.

I worked hard to "be in the right place at the right time". I don't consider that luck - I consider that hard work finally paying off. I also live in Michigan, and before the rest of the country experienced bad economy, we were experiencing our own one state recession. We still are the hardest hit. During that whole time, my business has continued to grow and flourish. In fact, now I am the busiest I've ever been, with the highest show avg. I've ever had! Just don't give up, and keep on doing the right things - business is out there!

I'm still a new consultant and my first 4 shows were all within my circle. But I have 3 upcoming shows with strangers.
#1 - Booking through show
#2 - Lady at the bank when I opened my PC account
#3 - Dental Hygenist when I went to get a crown

My upcoming 4th show is with a co-worker. I'm also considering getting a booth at my town fair on May 8th.

1. How long did it take you to "Bust Out of Your Circle"?

The time it takes to "Bust Out of Your Circle" varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your determination, dedication, and effort put into the process. Some people may see results in a few weeks, while others may take a few months.

2. What exactly does "Bust Out of Your Circle" mean?

"Bust Out of Your Circle" refers to breaking out of your comfort zone and expanding your horizons. It means pushing yourself to try new things, meet new people, and reach your full potential.

3. Is "Bust Out of Your Circle" a one-time thing or an ongoing process?

"Bust Out of Your Circle" is an ongoing process. It's important to constantly challenge yourself and continue to grow and improve. Once you break out of one circle, there will always be new circles to break out of.

4. Are there any specific steps to "Bust Out of Your Circle"?

Yes, there are steps you can take to "Bust Out of Your Circle." These include setting goals, taking risks, stepping out of your comfort zone, networking and meeting new people, and continuously learning and growing.

5. How can Pampered Chef help me "Bust Out of Your Circle"?

At Pampered Chef, we offer a supportive and empowering community that encourages personal growth and development. Our consultants have access to training and resources that can help them break out of their circle and achieve their goals. We also provide opportunities for networking and personal development through events, conferences, and online communities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanspc
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
colegrovet
  • beepampered
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lovescooking
  • MrsNetNut404