• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How I Put My Foot in My Mouth Today...

In summary, the woman selling berries was a mennonite and she was offended when the customer handed her a catalog. The customer wished her well and left.
chefcharity
I am just a little irrritated and thought I'd write it out here, so thanks for listening!

I stopped at a house that sold fresh produce today to get some berries. When I approached the garage where the berries were I noticed the lady selling them was a mennonite. No big deal. So, I waited for her husband who was picking the berries to bring them up and we made our transaction. I had a mini catalog and handed it to her. I told her I didn't know if she knew anyone who sold, but if not there were some of our newer products and my info was on the back. She said her daughter loved Pampered chef! ( Very nice so far.... ) So, I continued, told her new products were coming out in sept but for anyone who hosted a show with me in August they would be entered in a drawing for $100 cash. She dropped the paper like it was a snake, said thank you and turned her back on me.
I left very confused, but after talking to my mom I figured out they would probably look at that as gambling. That apparently contests like that are a big no-no. So I'm really sorry that I offended the lady, but instead of being curt I wish she would have just explained that they didn't participate in drawings such as that. I respect other people's views on religion and would never knowingly try to offend them!

Anyhow, it has been bugging me all day. Partly because I offended her and partly because instead explaining she just shut down. Oh well, thanks again for listening....

You meant well. It's her problem that she couldn't look past the drawing and get some handy items. All she needed to do was say that she didn't want to be entered when she placed her order. Don't worry about it. (we still love you)

Awe, thanks Ann! :)

what's a mennonite? sorry I don't get out much...

cewcooks said:
what's a mennonite? sorry I don't get out much...[/QUOTE
how did you know she was a mennonite? i've heard of their religion but don't know about them

Menonites are like the Amish, but are not as strict. They will use some of the more modern thngs, electricity cars ect.

that is why I figured Mennonite... she had the little white sphere of a hat covering the back of her hair, but she had a car in the drive...

You had no way of knowing. Let it go.In our area we have several plain communities. (That's not a criticism. It's a term used to encompass several different groups and is used by the groups themselves.) In addition to Amish and Mennonite there are German Baptists and some strict Brethren communities.

cewcooks said:
what's a mennonite? sorry I don't get out much...

Not to worry hon, I thought the same thing. :D

chefcharity said:
that is why I figured Mennonite... she had the little white sphere of a hat covering the back of her hair, but she had a car in the drive...

The Amish hire their Mennonite cousins to drive them places.

Seriously...there were some Mennonite ladies who cooked at the Camp where I worked summers during College, and that's what they told me.

They had the BEST roadside stands, though. A bunch of us Camp counselors used to go to one on our day off and buy this plate sized gooey cinnamon rolls - the best I've ever had! We could also tell an Amish Stand from a Mennonite Stand because the Mennonites would look at us, and the Amish kept their eyes on the ground.

Shake it off, Charity - you couldn't have known. ((hug))

1. How can I avoid putting my foot in my mouth in social situations?

The best way to avoid putting your foot in your mouth is to think before you speak. Take a moment to consider the impact of your words and how they may be received by others. It's also important to be mindful of cultural differences and to always be respectful and considerate in your communication.

2. What should I do if I accidentally offend someone with my words?

If you realize that you have unintentionally offended someone, the best course of action is to apologize sincerely and take responsibility for your words. It's important to listen to the person's perspective and try to understand why they were offended. From there, you can work to make amends and improve your communication in the future.

3. How can I recover from a major faux pas in a professional setting?

If you find yourself in a situation where you have made a major mistake or said something inappropriate in a professional setting, the best approach is to address it head on. Own up to your mistake, apologize, and work to make things right. It's also important to learn from the experience and be more careful with your words in the future.

4. Is it possible to make a good impression after putting my foot in my mouth?

Yes, it is possible to recover from a verbal misstep and make a good impression. The key is to be genuine, apologize if necessary, and demonstrate that you are a respectful and considerate person. People are often forgiving and will appreciate your efforts to make things right.

5. Are there any strategies for preventing verbal blunders in the first place?

A good strategy for preventing verbal blunders is to practice active listening. Pay attention to what others are saying and make an effort to understand their perspective before responding. It's also helpful to think before you speak and to avoid making assumptions about others. Communication is a skill that can be improved with practice and self-awareness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBevShu
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies