• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Deciding Whether to Attend Conference at 36 Weeks Pregnant - Opinions Needed!

In summary, Nora is pregnant and is considering going to Conference. She is worried about the risk of blood clots and the travel. Her doctor has told her that she can go if she cancels her Conf. Club membership.
NooraK
Gold Member
...along that you would not go to Conference?

I will be approximately 36 weeks on the Sunday before Conference. I won't know for sure until tomorrow because I never had a regular cycle, and the doctor wants to confirm with an ultrasound.

I love the conference experience, and wouldn't want to miss it. I am participating in Conference Club just in case. DH doesn't think I should go. My mom will be here visiting from 4th of July until about mid-August, so either she could come with me, or stay home with DS while DH comes with me (I wouldn't dare go alone). I'd probably make a road trip out of it, as I don't think many airlines would let me fly.

DS was induced at 40 weeks, one day, but I also hear that often the second child comes early.

So I'm turning to my wise Cheffer buddies for opinions. Should I just cancel Conference Club and get more on my paychecks? Or should I hold out and see how things go?

Congratulations Noora - I must have missed your announcement, didn't know you were pregnant! You've been to conference before and you know how grueling it can be. Do you think you'd be up to it? Why don't you just plan to go and if it doesn't work out then cancel. I'm sure this would fall into the category where PC would refund your entire registration fee....just keep track of how far in advance you would have to cancel the hotel so as not to be penalized.

Hope to see you on the 6th.

Hi Nora,

Congratulations! I have not been to conference, but I am a mom of 3 and since you would have a bit of a travel I would not chance it at all!
Even if someone is with you it is not worth taking the risk of being in the middle of now where. I have to side with your hubby.

Congrats Noora!

My first one came a week early. We induced my second one at 38.5 weeks b/c there was a chance he would have stopped growing. I could start a whole rant on how he didn't really need to get induced and how messed up that process was. Anyhoo, of course this pregnancy will be smooth sailing and you'll deliver at 39/40 weeks. But on that off chance that things aren't perfect, plan your contingencies. I think there are medical things about not sitting too long late in your pregnancy for fear of blood clots. Don't know how far of a car ride you're talking about. As has been mentioned, will you really be up for all of the walking and sitting involved with Conference? Not saying it can't be done, just wonder what you were like in your last pregnancy toward the end. You know best.

If you don't mind socking the money away in Conf Club now, you have nothing to lose. You'll have a nice commission adjustment in the summer if you don't go. It would almost be like having maternity leave since you won't be doing shows around the time the baby is born.

Hope the US goes well. I love seeing those little grains of rice in the beginning. I got to see A LOT of my son before he was born. Toward the end I could see the hair on his head. He just turned 5 yesterday and we were looking at pics of when he had just popped out. YUCK! He didn't want to see those and neither did I.

By the way they will refund you any money not spend from Conference Club. Have you talked to your doctor?

I had that same concern about conference 6 years ago.

As it turned out, he was born @ 36 weeks, so I had no choice. :D (well that, and the Dr. had put me on bedrest.:grumpy:)

PC reimbursed all of the cost. (I'd payed for conference through Conf. Club)

BUT - I would have only been 3 hours from home at conference, too...

Well, let's see - you're travelling from Georgia?

Well, you probably wouldn't be able to fly (IIRC, the airlines won't let you fly after about 36 weeks or so). A long car drive is going to leave you at increased risk for blood clots - not good!

I'd talk to your doctor now about the possible trip, plan for it, but don't get you're heart set on it. Heh, my last "long" drive before #1 arrived was about 2 1/2 hours each way, at about 34/35 weeks. I spent a lot of time dealing with swelling in my feet and legs, and ended up leaving the meeting a bit early. I had a trip planned for the end of week 37 (negotiated a bit with my OB, had an advanced practice nurse to travel with me, made arrangements to spend the trip mostly lying down). Instead of that trip, I had a baby :) (induced with pre-ecclampsia)

As everyone has said it depends on alot and you will need to talk to your Doc. My 2nd was 2 weeks late so you never know.

Remember why you do PC. I sometimes forget when I get caught up in all the fun PC stuff that I do this biz for a better way for my family. Not just for me to have fun. Just be ready for the fact that you may have to skip it this time.

I was in the very same situation two years ago. I ended up not being able to go as I was put on bedrest early and the baby ended up coming early too! I wanted so badly to go, but it just wasn't in the cards.

If I had to guess in your situation, I would think it may not be in your cards either. Someone above posted a really good point about flying and blood clots while driving, I know my Dr. had the same concerns when I discussed my own situation with her and she had advised against it, although I thought I was still going to try anyways! LoL Luckily, nature stepped in and made the decision for me :)

I'm pretty much starting to accept the fact that I won't be able to go. I guess a small part of me hoped that someone would come up with a fabulous solution :)

I missed 2006 because I just signed up June 1, I went 2007, I missed 2008 because DS was born May 28th, and I went 2009. So I guess I'll just have to keep up the pattern :D

Congratulations! We'll miss you, but you know we'll share everything. Plus, with only one wave this year we'll be able to share information right away.

pamperedlinda said:
Congratulations Noora - I must have missed your announcement, didn't know you were pregnant!

I haven't officially "announced" it to anyone except my mom and my in-laws. I just feel weird about shouting it off the mountain tops (though DH is completely opposite). It's good news, of course, but I just don't feel the need to tell everyone who passes me. :)

raebates said:
Congratulations! We'll miss you, but you know we'll share everything. Plus, with only one wave this year we'll be able to share information right away.

I'm going to miss you all too. I was so excited about a single conference and getting to meet everyone I missed last year!

NooraK said:
I haven't officially "announced" it to anyone except my mom and my in-laws. I just feel weird about shouting it off the mountain tops (though DH is completely opposite). It's good news, of course, but I just don't feel the need to tell everyone who passes me. :)

I'm going to miss you all too. I was so excited about a single conference and getting to meet everyone I missed last year!

Well - the news is out here.....lol :eek: congratulations!

NooraK said:

I was going to say "how did I miss that on Facebook?" Then, figured you probably wrote it in Finnish so the rest of us couldn't understand it!! :love:

Congratulations!! It is too bad you'll miss NC, but, unless you plan to stop every 2 hours to get out and walk around, a car trip, as already stated, could be really dangerous.

I'm due on August 15th, my first came at 37 weeks, and since this pregnancy is twins... I don't think I'll chance it. I'm bummed to miss it, because last year was awesome, but I'll get over it. :) With my first I took a 2.5 hour car ride at about 32 weeks and we had to stop at least twice so i could get out and move around. My legs just started to ache sitting there. So definately factor a large # of stops if you decide to try it and consider what is going to happen if you do go into labor while there or en route. Not completely likely but still possible.

Good Luck w/ your decision and pregnancy :)

I say see how you feel then! Talk to the Doc as it gets closer...if you haven't had any issues it might be okay. If it were ME I probably would. (depending on what the Doc says) I guess that's a pretty long road trip...I never had any issues with any of my pregnancies and Mine were all born right around their due dates, so it's easy for me to say I guess...

If you do get to go it will be an exciting bonus!

A little tip... Check your medical insurance to see if you will be covered or what your away from home coverage will be just in case...

in 2000 i went and my dd was born sept 9th. i didn't have any problems, except standing in lines, peoples totes they had slung over their shoulder kept poking my bellybutton ;)

etteluap70PC said:
If you do get to go it will be an exciting bonus!

A little tip... Check your medical insurance to see if you will be covered or what your away from home coverage will be just in case...

Definitely check your insurance. Mine will not allow travel more than 1 hour away at 36 weeks. If you go and have the baby, they may not pay. And check with your doctor.

I know it is hard to miss! I had to miss year before last because I had a 10 day old baby. *sigh* Made the next year more fun!

1. Can I still attend the conference at 36 weeks pregnant?

It is ultimately up to you and your doctor to decide if it is safe for you to attend the conference at 36 weeks pregnant. It is always best to consult with your healthcare provider before making any decisions.

2. Will the conference be accommodating for pregnant attendees?

Yes, the conference is committed to making accommodations for pregnant attendees. Please let us know in advance if you require any special accommodations.

3. Are there any extra precautions I should take if I attend the conference while pregnant?

We recommend that you stay well hydrated and take frequent breaks to rest and stretch. Please also be mindful of any activities or workshops that may be physically strenuous.

4. Will there be a designated area for pregnant attendees?

Yes, there will be a designated area for pregnant attendees to rest and relax if needed. Please feel free to utilize this space as needed.

5. Can I bring a support person with me to the conference?

Yes, you are welcome to bring a support person with you to the conference. However, please note that they will need to register and pay for their own ticket.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
RMDave
  • allisonserna
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Jules711
  • chefkathy