• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with High-Priced Criticism: How to Defend Pampered Chef Products

In summary, the conversation revolves around the criticism that Pampered Chef products are too expensive and can be found for cheaper elsewhere. One person shares their experience with a previous home business and how expensive products led to their failure. Others defend Pampered Chef by highlighting the quality and long-term cost savings of their products. The conversation also touches on the shipping costs of another home business, Heritage Makers, and how it turned off potential customers.
emiscookin
...people saying that Pampered Chef products are too expensive and can get something similar for cheaper elsewhere?

I know what my response would be, but would like to see if any of you have a better response, that really backs up PC! I'm not the best with words... ;) Or confrontations...

My last home business, that was all I heard from everyone! TOO EXPENSIVE! It's too expensive! That much for a small book!? TOO EXPENSIVE, TOO EXPENSIVE, TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!! GYAH! :eek: I HATED IT!! And I also didn't know how to respond to it because...well...I sorta agreed with them. :( But I DEFINITELY don't agree with people on that when it comes to PC!

If you are curious (which I'm sure you are ;)) My last home business was Heritage Makers. It's a digital scrapbooking company that is fairly new. My sister-in-law did it and was very successful and I decided I wanted to do it because I did love the products (though I agreed they were expensive) and thought I would have success! WRONG! I never made a SINGLE CENT with that company and ended up losing $300 for the starter kit!! Plus, consultants had to pay full price for all their supplies!! It was crap! Check out their website and you will see what I mean: heritage makers Look at their products particularly and their info on becoming a consultant.

Anyway, I have talked too much. ;) But yeah, would love to know how you respond to people saying that _____ is too expensive.

I have told people that the products are a little higher than what you would spend at Target/Walmart but they work SO MUCH better. At my 1st show someone asked if the chopped really worked. My cousin had one already & explained what she used it for and how long she had it. Chopping a whole onion in no time with the chopper sealed the deal.

The products are good quaility and save you money in the long run if you care for them. The cheap things you end up replacing after a few months. The baker more than paid for itself the 1st week we didn't have to eat out due to our busy schedule.

I say I'm too poor to buy cheap.

You have to keep buying things that you buy from walmart (ei cookie sheets) when you only have to buy them once with PC

Yes, focus on the quality and benefit to the customer.

For example: The Deep Covered Baker. Yes, it does cost $69. However, if you walk into any casual dining restaurant with your family to have dinner, how much will that cost you? If you could have a meal of the same quality, done in about 30 minutes, for a cost of around $2/serving, without having to tip the waitress, get in the car, make the kids wait patiently, or having to turn on the oven. Is that worth spending $69 once?

I used Heritage Makers at one point. I thought the product was fabulous. I do agree the prices were on the higher side, but I felt they were in line with their quality. I was willing to spend that price, for that quality of a product. What turned me off was the shipping. There was no price break for shipping, even if you did a show, regardless of whether you were a customer or the host. I felt it was outrageous that they knew that all of their products had to be shipped to you after they were created, that they would charge $10+ shipping. I paid $10 to have a calendar (yes, just a calendar) shipped to me. And I only did it because I had earned the calendar free as a host. Had I paid full price for the calndar and then had to pay another $10 for the shipping, I probably would never have done it in the first place. I would rather pay $2 extra per item, and not pay a separate shipping charge.

How much cheaper is FREE?? If they don't want to pay full price, it is the PERFECT opportunity to have a show and get their stuff free.... SO help out our host Susie and book a show! :)

NooraK said:
I used Heritage Makers at one point. I thought the product was fabulous. I do agree the prices were on the higher side, but I felt they were in line with their quality. I was willing to spend that price, for that quality of a product. What turned me off was the shipping. There was no price break for shipping, even if you did a show, regardless of whether you were a customer or the host. I felt it was outrageous that they knew that all of their products had to be shipped to you after they were created, that they would charge $10+ shipping. I paid $10 to have a calendar (yes, just a calendar) shipped to me. And I only did it because I had earned the calendar free as a host. Had I paid full price for the calndar and then had to pay another $10 for the shipping, I probably would never have done it in the first place. I would rather pay $2 extra per item, and not pay a separate shipping charge.

Oh no doubt their products are high quality. But I made an 8x8 book on shutterfly that is almost the same quality for 75% LESS than what HM asks for their 8x8 books!!

Oh yeah! I forgot about the high shipping!! Yeah, that was another crappy thing.

What my problem was, is I didn't have the right audience for the HM products. I was around a lot of people in my church who were cheapskates and military families who didn't have much money. Yeah, it was just the wrong audience. But besides that, the starter kit, paying full price for consultant supplies and the shipping was just too darn expensive!!

PamperedDor said:
How much cheaper is FREE?? If they don't want to pay full price, it is the PERFECT opportunity to have a show and get their stuff free.... SO help out our host Susie and book a show! :)

THAT was what my response was going to be! :thumbup:

PamperedDor said:

You still want to sell them on the value of the product. A host who thinks our products are too expensive to buy isn't going to excite her friends to want to buy anything either. They'll get the underlying feeling that they're being used.

There is a file somewhere that gives the product price breakdown by percentages. It says how a majority of our products are about $20 or something. Shoot, now I need to go find that post/file. :DI tell people that they are making investments. You don't want to have to keep buying replacement items over and over. That adds up. Buy our quality items once, and you'll love it for a long time!

There is a file somewhere that gives the product price breakdown by percentages. It says how a majority of our products are about $20 or something. Shoot, now I need to go find that post/file. :D

I tell people that they are making an investment. These aren't gadgets, they are useful tools. Many have multiple uses and will help you enjoy the time that you do spend in the kitchen. You don't want to have to keep buying replacement items over and over. That adds up. Buy our quality items once, and you'll love it for a long time!

The other drawback to just telling people they can get things for free by hosting, is that then your host will get nothing but bookings. My hosts hardly ever buy the monthly host special. It's the Free product value that they are looking forward to.

NooraK said:
You still want to sell them on the value of the product. A host who thinks our products are too expensive to buy isn't going to excite her friends to want to buy anything either. They'll get the underlying feeling that they're being used.

Good point.
I'll remember that.

I point out that if you compare it to what you think you can buy at Walmart, you're right. PC is more expensive. However, if you compare the price to comparable products like you could get at Sur la Table or William-Sonoma, you'd discover that our prices are very reasonable.

babywings76 said:

There is also a list that can be downloaded from CC that lists products by price. I always have it with me and I have the beginning of each price increase ($10, $20, etc.) highlighted with a different color marker. So, if the topic comes up I can actually show them how many products are under $10, $20, etc. Quite impressive when they have a "visual" price list and they can actually see what they can get for under $20 or $30!

the best price in our catalog is free, let me show you how you can get whatever you want for free

Did you mean our products are expensive at full price, at half price, or at free? I can help you at any level. And, if you wanted to order one of everything in the catalog, I promise to name my mansion after you!But if you're a girl who likes to save more than spend - I can help you with that as well. We offer our hosts a yearlong discount on all purchases, after your free shopping spree and your deep discount shopping at your own show.Finally, you may be a woman who likes to see her money work for her. Pampered Chef has an amazing earning opportunity where you simply share our products and our business with others--and earn both financial and intangible rewards. Whatever your budget or need, Pampered Chef has you covered!

scottcooks said:
Did you mean our products are expensive at full price, at half price, or at free? I can help you at any level. And, if you wanted to order one of everything in the catalog, I promise to name my mansion after you!

But if you're a girl who likes to save more than spend - I can help you with that as well. We offer our hosts a yearlong discount on all purchases, after your free shopping spree and your deep discount shopping at your own show.

Finally, you may be a woman who likes to see her money work for her. Pampered Chef has an amazing earning opportunity where you simply share our products and our business with others--and earn both financial and intangible rewards. Whatever your budget or need, Pampered Chef has you covered!

:love::love::love::love::love: it!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

scottcooks said:
Did you mean our products are expensive at full price, at half price, or at free? I can help you at any level. And, if you wanted to order one of everything in the catalog, I promise to name my mansion after you!

But if you're a girl who likes to save more than spend - I can help you with that as well. We offer our hosts a yearlong discount on all purchases, after your free shopping spree and your deep discount shopping at your own show.

Finally, you may be a woman who likes to see her money work for her. Pampered Chef has an amazing earning opportunity where you simply share our products and our business with others--and earn both financial and intangible rewards. Whatever your budget or need, Pampered Chef has you covered!

Perfect!!!!

Love it Scott! :D

Mine varies from time to time, but here's the jest
Ah, yes! But when you buy a cheaper item from Wal-Mart, Target, etc, do you get at least a one year warranty? Or the same type of quality merchandise?

You might want to consider hosting a show so that you could earn lots of items for free or at a discount ... or you can do like me & become a consultant to support your addiction to the product! My goal when I started PC was just that ... to support my addiction to the product. And in the beginning, I did JUST THAT! From March '08 (when I signed) through the end of the year, I literally made a $5 profit. Because I spent EVERYTHING I made back into products. It was my goal, and I succeeded!!! :D As time went on, my goals changed. Now it's to continue to support my addiction to the product, by earning it for free with my sales AND bring home a paycheck to do the little extras for my family. Oh, and of course I'm working on trying to earn my first free trip too! ;)

I am honest about similarities between products you can find at walmart and at PC. For example, buy a $7 mandoline, a $2 apple wedger, and a $20 brand new frying pan (think of the kind with the red circle to show the heat). Ask them which they want to buy. Ask how long they think each will last. Show them the differences (quality, materials, warranty) and tell them the PC will last 5-10 years longer (use whatever is appropriate to the product). Divide the cost of each by the # of years the PC product will last vs the Walmart version, appropriately.
$2 apple wedger, lasts maybe 2 years so $1 per year plus the trip to the store and hassle with kids, finding the color you want, dealing with checkout, parking etc. PC at full price is $12 and will last that long, at least AND is dishwasher safe. $1 per year and no hassle shopping.
$7 mandoline, lasts 1 year (very generous, I hated mine), slices your finger off, doesn't cut well after the 3rd washing, etc. $7 per year replacement cost plus above. How long does the PC mandoline last? Replacement blades are available at low cost..

Some people just prefer the cheap crap and think they are getting a bargain that way. They forget that their time is worth something, or they undervalue their time.

I am new too, but I've thought about taking some of my old wal-mart cheapies to a party to compare to my pc products. Like my apple wedger, bamboo tool, and especially my pastry blender, my old one cut the crap out of my hand every time I used it.

I always tell people the that DCB is one of the higher priced stoneware items, but if you compare it to buying a crock-pot or eating out.. it is very much worth it! If you cook in it vs. eating out just a few times for a couple w/o kids, it pays for itself!

I love the quality of all my products, but I do wish that some of them didn't say "made in China" just because that seems to make people think it's low quality even if its not.

I like all of these responses. One of my best friends (who loves PC products, but never cooks), keeps telling me she can't host a show b/c all of her friends are poor.
It totally depends on how you choose to live. they eat out all of the time and spend money left and right. They don't take care of what they own and they live paycheck to paycheck.

I had a show recently where some of my guests were discussing how high some of the products are and one lady stated many times that she was doing the Dave Ramsey program and she was trying not to spend extra money and cut down on making purchases she did not need. Well I replied that Dave Ramsey encourages wise investments and that PC products are well worth the money, guaranteed, and spending money on cheaper products that don't last as long as PC products do is a big waste of money. She placed an order that afternoon for over $80 and then 2 days later called me and added $40!

Before I started PC I looked at all sorts of reviews online to see what people thought about it. I kept seeing people complain about the price and so I made up a chart. (I like charts) And I compared about 50 PC products to similar products at Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and Williams Sonoma. I found that most Pampered Chef products, when compared to products of similar quality, were only a few dollars more or less than the ones at the stores. And the majority of items at those stores had a maximum 90 day return policy with no guarantee after that. Sure at Target there is a 15 dollar food chopper, but there is also a 25 dollar food chopper and ours comes with a guarantee. And chops better IMO. So after doing that I didn't feel like I was going to be selling a product that was overpriced.
Sometimes when people I know tell me they can't come to a party because they can't afford the product I tell them, 'Thats okay, I can't afford it either. Thats why I sell it, I can get it cheaper.' But the people I say that to know that I don't have any money lol.

And don't forget that one thing they don't get with their "cheaper" products is YOU! And that outstanding Pampered Chef customer service. They can't call Walmart and ask a question about their product, can they? We not only provide a product, we provide a service, too!

I always try to say something like, "Sure you can get something similar, cheaper, but can you call them up after a year and get it replaced. To me, that is priceless. I loved my Macy's cookware until after six weeks, the handle broke and I was stuck with it. I had a lady replace her entire knife set after 14 years."

I'm new to PC, but I plan on telling people my own experience. The products I bought from PC starting 5 years ago are still in my kitchen and used on a regular basis. The other things I bought cheaper somewhere else lasted for awhile, but I have to replace them every 6 months, a year, 2 years. PC stuff has always been consistent in quality and doesn't break down or rust if you take care of them.

I share my experiences too. I have a Batter bowl that I've had for about 15 years. You can't tell the difference between that one and the new one I got with my kit almost a year ago. Tell me THAT hasn't lasted!! My GRANDKIDS will be using those things!!

I am pretty new as well and I am using my own experiences with blue light specials to highlight WHY you should INVEST in the PC products. Like I have owned 4 different food choppers (from $10-$25) and they all SUCKED. As well as the fact that I could not take them apart to really clean them and once they were dulled then they were useless ass you cannot buy replacement parts like I can for my PC Food Chopper!

In fact that is what sold my Mom on buying one.

:blushing:These posts really helped. I'm a newbie and am having my first cooking show tonight! Am so excited. My daughter's best friends mom said "Oh, that Pampered Chef stuff is all so expensive." I didn't know what to say... I was flabbergasted that she would say that. I didn't have a good response except to say that our products are of great quality that come with a guarantee, and still got "You can still get it cheaper at WM". To tell the truth, it hurt my feelings!! Guess I'm too sensitive!

i bought a small sheet pan that i keep in my tote and take it to all my shows. at the beginning when i'm doing my intro, i say that pampered chef is extremely high quality and pass it around. i tell the story about how i had a pot pie sitting on a cheapo cookie sheet that popped while in the oven. well the pot pie jumped up and into the heating element and started smoking up the entire kitchen. i say that sometimes it's hard to see the quality from looking at the picture, but that as you can see from this small sheet pan, you are getting a great deal! after feeling the small sheet pan, i even had someone say they wanted to keep a large one by the bed to hit intruders over the head with!

LilChefBeth said:
Before I started PC I looked at all sorts of reviews online to see what people thought about it. I kept seeing people complain about the price and so I made up a chart. (I like charts) And I compared about 50 PC products to similar products at Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and Williams Sonoma.

Any chance you still have this chart and can post? Thanks!

Sheri Lynn, don't give them 'free rent'! Their Debbie Downer attitude isn't yours, don't claim it or give it credence...Immediately turn to someone who says that, smile and share, "maybe expensive if you don't know the direct sales shopping secret - some pay full price, some pay half-price, and some get it FREE! (Would you like to know the secret?) When can we schedule your cooking show to have some fun with your friends? You deserve a night 'in' and I'll do all the cooking. Then you can experience the secret I am talking about - you'll get a free shopping spree, items at half price, all your other purchases at a discount from 15-30 percent off, a discount for an entire year, guarantees on all your products with lifetime warranties on forged cutlery and cookware, free copies of the recipe I make that evening, free shipping on your items, a coupon toward $20 or $40 to buy-down your own starter kit of our best-loved products plus everything else you need to have a debt-free holiday! Our business opportunity can give you a promotion right away if you try it out with a friend, and once you make it to the director level and maintain modest sales, you get all the new products for next season absolutely free!

mountainmomma74 - I can tell a difference if I flip those suckers upside down & look for the one with the old chicken logo!
roflmao2.gif

Kristina -
txtloves.gif
it!

action-smiley-033.gif
Scott, I have no doubt that you've used that one several times in the past ... and no doubt that it was successful for you!
thumbup.gif

I do have a confession to make: my old batter bowl and my new (now 2yrs old) one both have a weird etched pattern to them on the inside. They both are identical in the odd pattern. I'm not sure if it's my dishwasher's fault or what. It's very odd and it's kind of embarrassing to take them to shows now. I use them ALL the time. I'm wondering if I should buy a new one and only hand wash it. :(

the person who tells me PC is expensive is the man with $50,000-$80,000 worth of Snap-On tools in his garage!! Most of which he paid full price for! I ignore him.

PC is Snap-On tools for your kitchen. Why shouldn't we have quality tools that we don't have to replace all the time? Alas, my scraper collection is in need of replacement. Too bad it only lasted me 11 years!! Beat that rubbermaid!

We may be Snap-On quality, but we are AFFORDABLE, 28% of the catalog is $10 or less, 68% is $20 or less, and 80% of it is $30 or less.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachme...ec-host-letter-fall-price-breakdowns-2010.doc

babywings76 said:
There is a file somewhere that gives the product price breakdown by percentages. It says how a majority of our products are about $20 or something. Shoot, now I need to go find that post/file. :D

I tell people that they are making an investment. These aren't gadgets, they are useful tools. Many have multiple uses and will help you enjoy the time that you do spend in the kitchen. You don't want to have to keep buying replacement items over and over. That adds up. Buy our quality items once, and you'll love it for a long time!

The other drawback to just telling people they can get things for free by hosting, is that then your host will get nothing but bookings. My hosts hardly ever buy the monthly host special. It's the Free product value that they are looking forward to.

I was going to point out the same thing.

I tell my story. It began in 2000 when I got my kit, two days before Christmas Eve. My family was coming to our home for the the holiday lights in downtown Milwaukee and got to our place around 2 p.m. I decided even though my mom told she would never host a party or probably would not buy anything either because it was too expensive, to at least show her the stuff I got. I had to to prove a point. Well, I started taking stuff out of the box and when I got to the ice cream dipper, she stopped me. She asked my how much it was. I told her it was $12. She almost had a heart attack! She said I would never pay that much for an ice cream scoop. Then I asked it. I asked her how much she paid for hers. Well, I only paid $3.99 for mine. But mine isn't as shiny. I JUMPED ON IT SO FAST I THINK I REALLY CAUGHT HER OFF GUARD. I said what do you mean it isn't as shiny? She told me hers turn gray after a while. I asked her what she does about it. She said she replaces them about every 3 or 4 months. OMG! I had her! I said, here. Take this one. She said why? I said because the ones you keep buying and replacing, cost you as much if not more in one year than this one does. And I believe it will NOT tarnish in that time. She said, "It will just do the same thing." I told her, if it does, I will replace it myself. She said, OK. I told her to wash it immediately after using and to dry it. She did. She still has the one I gave her in 2000! So do not tell me our stuff is expensive. It has saved my mom, $147.60 over the past 10 years! That's what I tell them and it works. And there is the one about my first PC purchase. I got a round stone in 1997. I STILL HAVE IT AND STILL USE IT! Not like the one from a department store I got as a gift and it was shot in about two years of use. Not only was it horrible to cook on as it was thin and burned things a lot, but I always felt like I was going to break it. It cost as much as ours! And food always stuck to it for some reason. Even after I seasoned it and used it it simply would not let the food go! I actually dumped it, pizza and all, when it would not come off the stone!

Last edited:
This may be old news to some of you, but did you know that stoneware purchased from Walmart, Target, etc. is NOT gauranteed to be lead-free while Pampered Chef stoneware is gauranteed to be lead-free.
Make sure you tell guests that by cooking their pizza/bars/etc on a lead laden Walmart stone can poison them while a Pampered Chef stone is gaurenteed not to.

ShelbyMichalek said:
This may be old news to some of you, but did you know that stoneware purchased from Walmart, Target, etc. is NOT gauranteed to be lead-free while Pampered Chef stoneware is gauranteed to be lead-free.
Make sure you tell guests that by cooking their pizza/bars/etc on a lead laden Walmart stone can poison them while a Pampered Chef stone is gaurenteed not to.

Please Please, PLEASE don't tell your customers that those stones will poison them. Did you know that you can't get lead poisoning from leaded glass? If the lead is part of the internal chemical structure (ie NOT in elemental form) then it will most likely not leach out of the material. I can't say for sure that leaded stoneware is safe, but don't tell people it isn't unless you have the MSDS data that says it is dangerous. You could set yourself up for a lawsuit. In any case, it is misinforming your customers and you might be viewed as dishonest if you were wrong.

I hope I didn't come off as too strong... but I would get pretty irritated at a consultant if I were a guest at the party. I'm of the sort that I'd get up and speak my piece and probably cause enough discord to make others uncomfortable with the consultant.

I don't tell them it will poisin them. I just say "Pampered Chef stoneware is gauranteed not to contain lead, most other stoneware products don't carry that gaurantee"

ShelbyMichalek said:
I don't tell them it will poisin them. I just say "Pampered Chef stoneware is gauranteed not to contain lead, most other stoneware products don't carry that gaurantee"

Wheew, okay. That's a perfect way to say it. Thanks!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefloretta
  • DessertDivaFL
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • byrd1956