• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Handling the Bad Time Response in Sales Calls

In summary, Tammy Stanley teaches to ask if you've caught your contact at a bad time because with the natural desire to push back, most people will say "No, this is fine." But when you do get that person who is at work or putting the kids to bed or making dinner or whatever, what do you say? Do you just ask when would be a better time? Do you still mention why you're calling?
NooraK
Gold Member
"Yes, actually you did catch me at a bad time"?

I know Tammy Stanley teaches to ask if you've caught your contact at a bad time because with the natural desire to push back, most people will say "No, this is fine."

But when you do get that person who is at work or putting the kids to bed or making dinner or whatever, what do you say? Do you just ask when would be a better time? Do you still mention why you're calling?

I wouldn't recommend the phrase "is this a bad time", because they don't know if you want their attention for 2 min's or for 15. I'd say "I know you're busy and I don't want to tie you up for too long ... do you have a couple of minutes?" If not, then "Would there be a better time later today/tonight for me to call back?"

I absolutely LOVE "is this a bad time" I get the odd one that says yes it is. Tammy Stanley says to say "I can call you back in 30 minutes, unless you'd like to pick another time"The problem with saying "do you have a couple of minutes" is no one has a couple of minutes....and Tammy Stanley makes a good point of, if you are running around like crazy and putting your kids to bed, dealing with your husband, pets and work and someone says "do you have some time right now?" we're more likely to feel resentful toward that person. As opposed to someone saying "is this a bad time?" when we can say "yes it's a bad time, please call me back later" without feeling rude. The other thing I've found, is when I would ask "is this a good time" or "do you have a couple of minutes" I'd get a hesitant, "ummm yeah sure ok". That doesn't make me feel good about asking them about a show, or whatever I'm calling about. I want them to be upbeat, and I find when I say "is this a bad time" I get a much more positive "no not at all!"hope that helps.

I agree - I usually say, "Is now a good time to talk?" or something similar to that. If they say no, I ask them when would be the best time to call them back, then I verify - "Great! I look forward to speaking with you! I'll call you at 7:30 tonight!"

I always ask if this is a good time to talk. If they say no I just ask what time would be a good time for them.

PamperedK said:
I absolutely LOVE "is this a bad time"

I get the odd one that says yes it is. Tammy Stanley says to say "I can call you back in 30 minutes, unless you'd like to pick another time"

The problem with saying "do you have a couple of minutes" is no one has a couple of minutes....and Tammy Stanley makes a good point of, if you are running around like crazy and putting your kids to bed, dealing with your husband, pets and work and someone says "do you have some time right now?" we're more likely to feel resentful toward that person. As opposed to someone saying "is this a bad time?" when we can say "yes it's a bad time, please call me back later" without feeling rude.

The other thing I've found, is when I would ask "is this a good time" or "do you have a couple of minutes" I'd get a hesitant, "ummm yeah sure ok". That doesn't make me feel good about asking them about a show, or whatever I'm calling about. I want them to be upbeat, and I find when I say "is this a bad time" I get a much more positive "no not at all!"

hope that helps.

Totally agree with this - I love Tammy Stanley!

I ask, "Are you interruptable?"

ChefBeckyD said:
Totally agree with this - I love Tammy Stanley!

Word! She is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do ask this too. In the past week I have interupted a second Christmas with out of town family (soldier may have just returned from deployment). And then I called her at her work number and she was talking with her boss...but she does want to book a party.

Once I called and the person told me they were out to dinner and I quickly told them I would call back later...she told me no...she wanted to talk with me then!

If people REALLY don't want to talk with you they will screen calls if they have no caller id. (I love having caller i.d. but wish others wouldn't avoid me).

I too am really like Tammy Stanley! There are some things with every speaker that you will really not find useful, so pick and choose what you like. There are certainly other ways of saying this. Her point is to not try to fool people by thinking it is a social call...then go into a selling mode. To let them know the intention of the call right off the bat.

Thank you all for the opinions.For the most part, it works: "Oh, no, it's fine." It's just those one off responses that make you want to say "Well why did you answer the phone then?" You know, the "Well, I'm at work, and I really shouldn't be answering my phone." I tried the 30 minute call back tonight, and it worked, so I think I'll emphasize that more. Today's calls were to promote my "Snow Day" Virtual show, so I often let them know that I was just calling to let them know, and they should have an email.

wadesgirl said:
I always ask if this is a good time to talk. If they say no I just ask what time would be a good time for them.

My words exactly. I like to keep things in the positive. "good" sets it up for a postive. Most people will tell me to call in an hour, etc. There are some that will give a different day and time. I thank them and follow-through with that day. I like to respect others. If they say no not a good time, I'm not going to say anything about what I called for.

1. How do you respond to negative customer reviews?

At Pampered Chef, we take all customer feedback seriously, whether positive or negative. When responding to negative reviews, we strive to address the specific concerns raised and find a solution to make things right. We also use this feedback to continuously improve our products and services for all of our customers.

2. How do you respond to product inquiries or issues?

Our customer service team is dedicated to promptly addressing any product inquiries or issues that our customers may have. We encourage our customers to reach out to us through our website, email, or phone, so we can assist them in finding a solution or providing a replacement if needed.

3. How do you respond to pricing concerns?

We strive to offer our customers high-quality products at fair and competitive prices. If a customer has a pricing concern, we are happy to discuss it with them and explain the value and benefits of our products. We also periodically offer sales and promotions to provide additional savings to our customers.

4. How do you respond to shipping delays?

We understand that timely delivery is important to our customers, and we do our best to ensure that all orders are shipped and delivered on time. In case of any shipping delays, we will communicate with our customers and provide updates on the status of their order. We also offer expedited shipping options for urgent orders.

5. How do you respond to inquiries about hosting a Pampered Chef party?

Hosting a Pampered Chef party is a great way to have fun with friends while earning free and discounted products. Our consultants are trained to provide all the necessary information and support to anyone interested in hosting a party. Customers can also visit our website to learn more and book a party with a consultant in their area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TheFreddiesCook
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • esavvymom