• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Pronounce Gruyere Chicken en Croute?

In summary, KrisFrom dictionary.com says that the cheese Gruyere is pronounced with a "G" sound similar to dryer, and that the cinnamon is pronounced Konrintje. Someone on TV said that the proper pronunciation for Santoku is san -too(or two)-Koh. The person also mentioned that Aioli is pronounced Eye-O-Lee.
ihavethetools
In the New Season's Best, the Gruyere Chicken en Croute...it looks good but I don't even know how to SAY it?
HElP!

Kris

From dictionary.com:
Gru‧yère  /gruˈyɛər, grɪ-; Fr. grüˈyɛr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[groo-yair, gri-; Fr. gry-yer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun a firm, pale-yellow cheese, made of whole milk and having small holes, produced chiefly in France and Switzerland.

Great. Now can someone show how to pronounce Korintje Cinnamon?

Koringee...is how I was told to pronounce it...

And what's the proper pronunciation of Santoku (or however you spell it)...LOL!

San-too-koo

Actually, Santoku is pronounced san -too(or two)-Koh

To remember this they had us say San, then hold up two fingers for to then make the letter "O" with our thumb and fingers. By doing this I haven't forgot how to pronounce it.

Someone told me there is a chef on TV that says San-toe-koo and Pampered Chef really wanted us to pronounce it correctly.

My Question is how do you say- en Croute?

Say Gruyere like dryer but with a G. That is how I was told.

Funny, I just watched the Santoku knife video and Julie switches b/w San-too-koo and San-too-koh as well as the chef...hmmmm

en Croute...on and root with a "k" sound in front...that's how I say it anyhow...

I'm so glad you asked about the cinnamon! lol Koringee? we cracked up trying to pronounce it.

Give a prize for anyone that pronounces it right! lol jk

Well, you'd think they'd spell SanTUKO and we'd all know how to say it...but when you spell it SanTOKU it's no wonder we're all confused. But -- I 'll remember the San, TWO, and Koh ("long o").

Konrintje CinnamonIf you have the cinnamon, it shows how to pronounce it on the bottle. I too was confused until I saw that. Hope that helps.

How about Aioli?

(from the Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli)

I actually do not have a bottle of the cinnamon and I never even mention it in my shows because I had absolutely no idea how to say it! I would have never guessed koringee.

Nevermind..I decided not to be lazy and look it up myself! Guess this means it can be pronounced two ways!?

Main Entry: ai·o·li
Pronunciation: (")I-'O-lE, (")A-
Function: noun
Etymology: Occitan, from ai garlic + oli oil
: a mayonnaise flavored with garlic and sometimes other ingredients (as red pepper)

Santoku is actually pronounced: Sawn - TOE - koo, emphasis on the middle

I asked my brother, who is a Junior in college with a Japanese Major, and he said that is the correct way. So there you go!

Also, it is "grwee-yare." With the u, you take your lips and make an "oo" shape, then say "ee". I'm a French major. Gruyere is true Swiss cheese made is Switzerland; we in America just call any cheese with holes in it Swiss.

And info from the net: aioli - ay-oh-lee

Sorry if I'm annoying, but I hope that helps! I'm really picky when it comes to language, and I would hate to feel stupid saying it the wrong way! Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
cat said:
How about Aioli?

I had a hard time with that one...DH says A-oh-lee

supergirljennie said:
Santoku is actually pronounced: Sawn - TOE - koo, emphasis on the middle

I asked my brother, who is a Junior in college with a Japanese Major, and he said that is the correct way. So there you go!

Also, it is "grwee-yare." With the u, you take your lips and make an "oo" shape, then say "ee". I'm a French major. Gruyere is true Swiss cheese made is Switzerland; we in America just call any cheese with holes in it Swiss.

And info from the net: aioli - ay-oh-lee

Sorry if I'm annoying, but I hope that helps! I'm really picky when it comes to language, as I speak (with varying degrees of fluency) English (duh), French, Spanish, German, and Italian. Good luck with everything!

Okay...now you are just showing off ;) ;)

I'm sorry! I'm trying not to sound pretentious, but language is really the one thing I'm good at! It's unfortunate that I'm a SAHM, and I don't actually get to use it very much.

Forgive me! :)

amya said:
Great. Now can someone show how to pronounce Korintje Cinnamon?

I was thinking the SAME thing!

Aioli is pronounced Eye-O-Lee....according to Rachael Ray
cat said:
How about Aioli?

So Gruyere en Croute is pronounced "Grew yee On Kroot"?:confused:

I think it's GREAT to have someone with the language advice. We should have a section on our chef success for prounciations :)

Wow! Remembered I asked this this morning and didn't expect to see so many had the same questions.
This is very helpful.

Here's one.
Asiago cheese.
I work at Panera bread (for now) and we pronounce it short a A see A go
with 4 syllables and a hard g.
But Rachelle Ray said the other day....Asee a go with a soft g and and the accent on the second syllable.

Kris

supergirljennie said:
I'm sorry! I'm trying not to sound pretentious, but language is really the one thing I'm good at! It's unfortunate that I'm a SAHM, and I don't actually get to use it very much.

Forgive me! :)

Don't appologize...I was just playing, I said that with all of the love in the world (i.e...I am jealous that you speak all of those languages)

ihavethetools said:
Wow! Remembered I asked this this morning and didn't expect to see so many had the same questions.
This is very helpful.

Here's one.
Asiago cheese.
I work at Panera bread (for now) and we pronounce it short a A see A go
with 4 syllables and a hard g.
But Rachelle Ray said the other day....Asee a go with a soft g and and the accent on the second syllable.

Kris

Rachel Ray is great and I love her cooking and forgive me...I might be the odd man out here...I can't stand the way she speaks. She says all sorts of things incorrectly in my opinion...

re: Rachel Ray ...
soonerchef said:
Rachel Ray is great and I love her cooking and forgive me...I might be the odd man out here...I can't stand the way she speaks. She says all sorts of things incorrectly in my opinion...

I love her cooking / shows too, and almost posted she speaks / pronounciates incorrectly all the time on a post last night, but didn't, so I'm glad someone else posted :):D

Okay, I feel soooo stupid. I've been using the cinnamon for years. Seriously, like five years. I've been a consultant for two years. I never bothered to read the bottle well enough to notice the pronunciation. I've been pronouncing it wrong all this time!I'm so glad I read this thread.By the way, tlennhoff is, of course, right about the proper pronunciation of Gruyere, but I've heard lots of people pronounce it the way sarahmarie suggests. Maybe it's the difference between the original Swiss and the Americanized versions.

DZmom said:

in the training booklet it says: groo-yair ahn kroot

so that is what I am going with!

Maybe we should call Pampered Chef and ask them why we were taught the wrong way to pronounce Santoku at conference? I always said San-toe-koo before that.

Hi - Absolute correctness is Santoku, but Santuko is accepted as it has been mis-translated for so many year. I had lunch with the shop owner next door just now ( he sells knives at his HW store ) and he confirmed by showing me the Japanese characters in Hiragana. You will see it both ways when translated to Roma-ji. If you are shopping in Japan where they don't speak English it is best to pronounce Santoku when asking about the knives.

so either way is truly acceptable.

How about Phyllo?
Feel-o or File-o?

speedychef said:
How about Phyllo?
Feel-o or File-o?

Feel-o

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it file-o

hahaha that is so funny here I thought I knew how to pronounce them!
I have always said fi-lo dough....

i haven't watched food network in a while but racheal ray doesn't do anything for me.. i like alton brown .. he is weird and very in-depth.. not just throwing things togehter!! My fav. cousin LOVES Paula Deen (or Dean?)
I just like food. :)

Chefgirl2 said:
Maybe we should call Pampered Chef and ask them why we were taught the wrong way to pronounce Santoku at conference? I always said San-toe-koo before that.

It has been mispronounced for so long that either way is acceptable. They probably went with the majority of the Americans...also, with the "two" in the middle, it is easier for us 'anglish speekers to speek it write...teehee

DZmom said:

YEAH!!! ???? Doesn't that make you wnat a second helping of it!!!

jessica_momof6 said:
Feel-o

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it file-o

Here in Oregon (well Sugar City) we say Fy - lo :D

Just a little note about the gruyere chicken.....The gruyere cheese is strong and expensive. It can be made with swiss cheese also. It is not as strong and less expensive....of course then you can't have the fun of trying to say gruyere!:)

okay...I should have read the other posts before I put my 2 cents in about the swiss cheese. I didn't realize that someone already said that it is swiss cheese! I have my duh moments! sorry!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Zsu
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Tina1977
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Shari in TX