• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Handle Crowd Control?

In summary, Gillian had a show where 20 guests were talking at the same time. She tried to get people to be quiet with no success. She did two recipes and had high-priced products. No one bought anything. Her hostess tried to help quiet everyone down and it was unsuccessful. Gillian didn't make any money.
gilliandanielle
I had a horrible show last night- everyone was out of control. There were 20 guests that were all talking at the same time! I tried the usual things to get people to calm down (asking the main talker for assistance-she refused!, telling them things were going to be on the "test") and nothing worked. I did two recipes and showed over $600 in high-priced products. No one paid attention and my voice is totally gone today from talking over everyone. My hostess tried to help quiet everyone down multiple times with nothing working. I didn't sell a thing over $20 despite a stoneware talk/demo, cookware talk, SA talk, madoline demo and trifle demo. The total guest sales are $400.19 with 13 buying guests. I sold a ton of the adjustable measuring cups because the talkers were passing them around. My show took forever because I had to keep repeating things for the 3 people that were listening...

Anyway (sorry about the vent) what works for you when the crowd gets out of control? Do I just bless and release? I am really bummed and was hoping for really high sales as I was trying to hit my $15K this month...

I have no advice. People are just rude. I have only had one show and I did notice they talked while I was talking. But I guess that was my fault I handed out the catalog before. Sorry for your show. Better luck next time

Hey Gillian!
I had this exact same thing happen to me last month. What I did was just to let them all talk for about 15 minutes while I went about my business. There was 2 or 3 actually listening. So, I had them come a little close so I didn't have to yell. Everyone else was more interested in visiting with each other.SO, I let them. ended up with a fairly decent show. They are there to get together and have a good time, SO I figured I would let them do just that. hope that helps you...probably not, but what the heck. Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this type of situation.

Oh, forgot something else...when this show was going on, I made the turtle fudge skillet cake. I actually had one guest ask me what the "frosting was made of, and when did you put it on there?" I laughed and old her that next time she should pay attention (was a friend of mine). Guess what? She booked a show from me just because she wants me to make that cake for her show.

gilliandanielle said:
I had a horrible show last night- everyone was out of control. There were 20 guests that were all talking at the same time! I tried

Something we learned in Teacher education courses was to just stop for a moment and if that doesn't get them start to Whisper........ Those that are paying attention will often police the crowd for you because they want to hear.

Ugh - I am so sorry. It sounds like you did just about everything possible. One thign I do that sometimes (and I emphasize SOMETIMES) helps is to keep a bowl of Hershey Kisses and toss them out to people who ask questions or give feedback...then if someone is not paying attention or basically being totally disruptive...as I am "throwing" a chocolate to one of the participating people, I "mis-aim" and peg the disrupted in the arm or something - LOL Shake 'em up a little...not "peg" them, but you know...just alert them LOL

pcchris said:
Oh, forgot something else...when this show was going on, I made the turtle fudge skillet cake. I actually had one guest ask me what the "frosting was made of, and when did you put it on there?" I laughed and old her that next time she should pay attention (was a friend of mine). Guess what? She booked a show from me just because she wants me to make that cake for her show.

That's SO awesome!!
My crazy-screaming-kids show from last Tuesday was similar. And there wa sone gal who was trynig so hard to see and hear and was shushing others and getting totally annoyed...she booked a show...so sometimes it works in our favor!

dannyzmom said:
Ugh - I am so sorry. It sounds like you did just about everything possible. One thign I do that sometimes (and I emphasize SOMETIMES) helps is to keep a bowl of Hershey Kisses and toss them out to people who ask questions or give feedback...then if someone is not paying attention or basically being totally disruptive...as I am "throwing" a chocolate to one of the participating people, I "mis-aim" and peg the disrupted in the arm or something - LOL Shake 'em up a little...not "peg" them, but you know...just alert them LOL

HAHAHAHAH Oh that is so funny.

I had that happen in the past, and I just let them talk, and I went on with my demo. The people that were interested watched, and the others did whatever. The show turned out ok, and actually one of my guests booked a show because she liked how I didn't make everyone sit down and give me their undivided attention!

dannyzmom said:
LMAO!! One of the main talkers booked, so maybe I will be armed and ready for her show. I really need April shows because I only had 2, so I mentioned that the trifle bowl was on special a gazillion times in April. At the end of the show she marked maybe on her drawing slip. I asked what month she was interested in and she said "I don't know...the month with that glass bowl." Oh, you mean the trifle bowl that is on special in April that I mentioned so many times I could throw up??? Maybe if you were listening you would have known that!

I guess putting them in the "time out" room isn't an option?Sorry you had such a hard time.

pcchris said:

I had the exact same thing happen a coupple weeks ago! Although I did not say "next time she should pay attention " Wanted to though!!!

I have had a few of these shows lately and it is frustrating! but it takes all kinds!

cooking.with.ann said:
I guess putting them in the "time out" room isn't an option?

Sorry you had such a hard time.
I wish- and I would have done it too!

When I have a lot of talkers, I just go on with my demo. I can't make them "behave."

It's hard and then frustrating when they ask questions that could have been answered if they were listening!!!

I hope at least all their chatter was about PC? :D

At my last show I made the Chicken Enchilada Ring...one lady asked me when I mixed the chicken filler...UHHHH like the first 10 minutes I was talking...

I don't mind people talking, but what bugs me more is when they all want to be checked out at the same time! Now I tell them that I need to talk to them one at a time...it worked great at the last show...got 2 bookings, and one I thought was interested, but she changed her mind. I'll keep in touch with her though, in case she changes it again! Debbie, you're right...you can't make them behave. I think I would freak out if everyone was paying attention to me 100%! LOL!!

I was at a show once and I was one of the bad people talking and the lady started looking around like she dropped something. Someone asked her what she was doing and she said "It appears I've lost control of the room and I'm looking for it" or something to that effect...it made us laugh.

LOVE IT! That's a great one!!

tashayoung said:
I was at a show once and I was one of the bad people talking and the lady started looking around like she dropped something. Someone asked her what she was doing and she said "It appears I've lost control of the room and I'm looking for it" or something to that effect...it made us laugh.
LOL! Maybe I will make a notecard with little things like this on it so I can check it when I get flustered!!

It worked...we stopped talking after we laughed.

I've had this happen a few times & I've just let it go. I try to talk to the ones who are listening & if it gets really loud, I ask those talking to please talk a little more quietly so others can hear me. I figure it is supposed to be a party, so I want them to have a good time. But that's EVERYONE--those who want to hear aren't having a good time if they can't hear! I also try to keep my demos short so they'll have plenty of time to chat while they eat.

Sometimes I bang my scraper on the table and jokingly demand "order in the show" Or, I will hand the stainless mixing bowl and scraper to the host's aunt or someone else who will speak up and let them bang on it if it gets loud--last show was very funny! And it was more under control than they have been.

I just had an AHH-HAA moment. Put a bunch of nickels, quarters or pennies or slugs (if your cheap like Carolyn claimed to be on another thread LOL). Then you can offer those to the guests instead of the Kisses. If they pay attention and ask questions then they get coins. You can tell them that at the end of the show, you will deduct what ever they accumulated off of their total sale. (Of course you will probably have to have a limited amount of coins) What do you think of that?

tashayoung said:

That's a good one. I will have to remember that one.

I had this happen at a show last month. It was the mother of the host that was the talker. Then she wanted me to go over everything with her. The hostess finally told her to hush.

As a former high school English teacher, I am used to people not paying attention to me (LOL--not entirely true, but funny nonetheless). I have actually found that some of my biggest shows (a few $800-900 ones) were the ones where I just let people talk right through my demo. Usually the people who really want to hear will sit up close anyhow, and the one who really want to socialize will sit farther away. I've always just let them go. I figure that I'm not the party police, and they are there to have a good time--if that means chatting rather than listening, so be it. I actually had a woman approach me after a show to thank me for letting her "catch up" with another guest rather than sitting in silence through my demo. Her friend talked her into buying three more items than show would have otherwise!

On the other hand, I am so loud and in command of attention, this doesn't happen too often...

BTW, I love the idea about looking for the control of the room! LOL!

I've had a couple of out-of-hand crowds. After the first, "Yoo hoo! Can everyone hear me?" I ignored the ones not paying attention. (Turn about is fair play. Right?) I just went on for the few who were actually listening. It's frustrating, but it happens.Shake it off, and concentrate on that beautiful baby you're cookin' up.

the lady started looking around like she dropped something. Someone asked her what she was doing and she said "It appears I've lost control of the room and I'm looking for it" or something to that effect

I have to say that I "tried" this once after seeing it posted on here before. I really felt like an idiot because nobody even noticed what I was doing or didn't bother to ask anyway. I really don't have issues with people talking but don't ask me to re do the whole show later because you weren't paying attention.

I have stocked my box with my daughter's princess wand. It makes a sound when you wave it. I plan to use it when things have gone crazy like I'm waving magic over the crowd. I figure it will get them looking to see why I have a pink want, but will also be funny. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but you never know.....

I had this happen last month too. It started with my host who would not give me a final head count. I finally left her a message two days before and said that I was planning for 10 guests. It turned out to be 20. Luckily I keep extra catalogs in my car. Her kitchen was so small guests were everywhere. No one was paying attention. I tried to talk to the ones who were listening. I try not to yell over the chatter. Usually it works in my favor to let them go. Out of 20 only about 12 bought. The show didn't quite make it to $600, even after a few outside orders. Normally I would be happy about this, but it was just too much drama. I got one catalog show and one scheduled cooking show. The last two are aol. Oh well.

I am so sorry to hear about your show, I have had a few shows, where guest keep talking and I just stop what I am doing and look up and wait.. generaly that works... but it doesn't always work!!!! People are jsut rude!!

I am sorry to hear about your frustrating show!!!!! I have had it both ways....
1 show was mostly friends and it was horrible!!!! My friend the host was in shock @ some of the rude friends we had!!! She worked it to a $500 show. OTOH, I had a show 2 weeks ago that was a 3 ring circus....guests triyng on formals...chiropractor demos in the middle of the floor....guests separating in the LR and Dining room....the show was $1044 that night!!!!!!!We did have fun ...and no....no alcohol was involved!

I just talk louder and try to ignore them. :D I focus on the people that are interested.

I just ignore them and also talk to the people who are interested but usually you'll hear a couple people say "SHHHH!" I will also play a game, that usually gets them to quiet down.:p

I love games at my shows...people groan when I say we're going to play a game! This is what I tell them then "I know, another game...ugh! (very sarcastically! - they laugh then) Then I tell them, but this one is fun, and will help you learn more about our variety of products", and then I usually do Queen of the shoppers, with a decent prize involved. No one ever complains after that. I'd like to try the left-right game, but haven't done it yet. just thought I would share. If you are very familiar with your guests, it's okay to be a little more sarcastic!

I did play deal or no deal at the show, but the talkers kept looking over because they couldn't hear each other over the screaming DOND "crowd".

At Conference last year, Belinda Ellsworth said that the reasons people attend home parties changes regularly. A few years ago, it was to get info in an entertaining manner. Now, it's to socialize. Her suggestion was to let people chit chat for about 15 minutes, then tell them that you're going to keep the demo really short so they can get back to visiting.

AJPratt said:
Sometimes I bang my scraper on the table and jokingly demand "order in the show" Or, I will hand the stainless mixing bowl and scraper to the host's aunt or someone else who will speak up and let them bang on it if it gets loud--last show was very funny! And it was more under control than they have been.

Love this...it would be like playing Judge Judy for a moment...Hey it might even work with my kids...in the car...when DH is ignoring me!!!!! The possibilities are endless!!!!!!!LOL Thanks for the GREAT idea!!!!:)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SusanBP0129
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • rhonda4554
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MSmith
  • jennyl