• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do you give out catalogs in the neighborhood?

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
There's an Avon lady in my neighborhood who-bless her heart-is always putting catalogs in a plastic bag on my mailbox flag. Since I have a ton of Fall catalogs I was considering doing this too with a not saying call for a new catalog, blah blah. Does anyone else do this? Is it legal to mess with peoples' mailboxes? What time of day should I do it? Before the mailman makes his run or after?

Thanks!
 

ChefLisa

Advanced Member
Jan 19, 2005
868
0
Our homeowners association placed our newsletters in our mailboxes. When the postal worker saw that, it was reported and cost our association about $300.00. They were told nothing could be placed in or on the mailboxes. My guess is some mail carriers report these infractions and some do not. If you want to hang catalogs, I would suggest placing them in bags and hook them on doorknobs. Also, does your neighborhood have a home owners association? If so, is there a rule agains soliciating in the neighborhood? If not, you really do not have much to lose by hanging them.
 

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
We don't have a homeowners association so you are right Lisa, I probably don't have anything to lose.

If anyone complains, I will plead ignorance and tell them to go after the Avon lady!! Just kidding.

Thanks!
 

agw

Member
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2005
239
0
I've put catalogs in the paper boxes next to the mailbox. That's where I get my non-mail communications from other folk, too.

Sure it's easier to drive by and leave something at the mail box, but if that isn't an option really, then you can always leave the catalog hanging on the front door. It just takes a bit more effort. :)
 

jonna

Member
Jan 15, 2006
56
0
I made a bunch of flyers for my neighborhood and left them in their paperboxes, but I like the idea of putting the catalogs on the doorknobs!
 

CynthiaJohnson83

Novice Member
Feb 8, 2006
33
0
Here is what I do

What I did was go to Nancys website and order plastic bags that have pc logo on them they where like 8 or 9 dollars. I took Fall catalog and a flyer that I made saying there was a consultant in your neighborhood and took my talk for a walk last week and I hung them on the front door. I have got a few calls, it was a great Idea to get those old catalogs out.
 

CarlyK

Member
Feb 23, 2006
190
0
CynthiaJohnson83 said:
What I did was go to Nancys website and order plastic bags that have pc logo on them they where like 8 or 9 dollars. I took Fall catalog and a flyer that I made saying there was a consultant in your neighborhood and took my talk for a walk last week and I hung them on the front door. I have got a few calls, it was a great Idea to get those old catalogs out.
That is a great idea.... but what is the link to Nancy's site?
 

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
I had seen those before...

so maybe I will buy a pack and try that approach. Does anyone get calls from doing this? I know there's a chance that you will but I keep thinking of how I just pitch the Avon book. BUT then this is Pampered Chef!!
 
Sep 6, 2005
233
0
Cynthia,
Have you scheduled any shows from this?
I have TONS of fall catalogs left so yesterday I bought some catalog bags from Nancy's. I can't wait until they arrive. Is Nancy slow to ship or usually quick? I was hoping to have them before Saturday since it's supposed to be so nice out.

I am desperate for late March/April bookings. I had two shows in the beginnig of last week and then one more 3/18 and then that's it.
 

CarlyK

Member
Feb 23, 2006
190
0
Thank you for the link! I went ahead and order some of the bags and I am so excited. I am going to pass these around the block that I live on, and see how that works out.

I am thinking about including a flyer or maybe a coupon or something with it as well to encourage people to contact me. Hopefully this will work out nicely.
 

heat123

Legend Member
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2005
6,977
0
it should work...

if it worked for Avon (which I sold for 6 months canvassing hundreds of books each campaign) I dont' see why it wouldn't work for PC as well. You have nothing to lose by hanging the left over catalogs and surely an order or new customer to gain! :D
I should probably do the same with the dozen I have left! ;)
 

CynthiaJohnson83

Novice Member
Feb 8, 2006
33
0
PamperedPrincess74 said:
Cynthia,
Have you scheduled any shows from this?
I have TONS of fall catalogs left so yesterday I bought some catalog bags from Nancy's. I can't wait until they arrive. Is Nancy slow to ship or usually quick? I was hoping to have them before Saturday since it's supposed to be so nice out.

I am desperate for late March/April bookings. I had two shows in the beginnig of last week and then one more 3/18 and then that's it.

Yes, I put out 25 and i have got 10 calls and have booked 5 shows, 5 are still in question. This was all within 5 days. It was well worth it for me. I also went to neighbors that I didn't know so that way there I could get to know them. It seems to be working. I think I am going to do this at the end of every season.
 

heat123

Legend Member
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2005
6,977
0
wow!

CynthiaJohnson83 said:
Yes, I put out 25 and i have got 10 calls and have booked 5 shows, 5 are still in question. This was all within 5 days. It was well worth it for me. I also went to neighbors that I didn't know so that way there I could get to know them. It seems to be working. I think I am going to do this at the end of every season.

That is an amazing outcome! What did you put in the bag besides the catalogs to get such a great response for orders and bookings, just curious?
 

ChefNic

Veteran Member
Jun 22, 2005
1,048
1
I just looked at the bags on Nancys-artworks.com... and they are only $4.75 for 50!!
My friend, who is no longer with PC, gave me a bunch and I loooove them! if I have to drop off a catalog, or receipt with a recipe card inside... so nice! and professional looking!
I'll have to order more when I run out!
 

CarlyK

Member
Feb 23, 2006
190
0
ChefNic said:
I just looked at the bags on Nancys-artworks.com... and they are only $4.75 for 50!!
My friend, who is no longer with PC, gave me a bunch and I loooove them! if I have to drop off a catalog, or receipt with a recipe card inside... so nice! and professional looking!
I'll have to order more when I run out!
I just ordered some myself yesterday, and they are mailing them out today! I cannot WAIT to get them and start handing them out.
Did any of you put what the current host special is for the month in it?
 

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
I think I'll try it

After all those fall catalogs aren't doing me any good sitting in my office. One sale would be worth buying the little bags. We'll have to compare notes on how we did!
 
S

showmehow2

Guest
How???

CynthiaJohnson83 said:
Yes, I put out 25 and i have got 10 calls and have booked 5 shows, 5 are still in question. This was all within 5 days. It was well worth it for me. I also went to neighbors that I didn't know so that way there I could get to know them. It seems to be working. I think I am going to do this at the end of every season.


What did you include with the catalog? I'm in a booking slump (actually, have always been) and am looking for ways to get my name out there. $4.75 is very reasonable!
 
Sep 6, 2005
233
0
I'm really excited about those results! We have TONS of new neighborhoods in my town with some REALLY upscale developments. I can't wait to get these bags and start handing out catalogs.
I'm not sure what to put in the bags though besides the catalog. Monthly HOST specials? Recipe cards (I have lots of leftovers),

I thought about doing a "Call me for a free gift" type thing since I always buy SO many Season's Bests but I'm not sure. I sure hope those bags come before Saturday though since it's supposed to be so nice out this weekend. It'll be a perfect time to hand all those catalogs out!
 

CynthiaJohnson83

Novice Member
Feb 8, 2006
33
0
Flyer

Here is the flyer that I included in my bag. The only thing that I did for my catalogs was put my sticker w/info on it, a sticker that said I love recruits and a sticker that said if you would like to see are new spring products just let me know. This is my ss month 1 so I am new to this pc business. I am excited with the responses that I have got.
 

Attachments

  • Neighborhood.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 662

CarlyK

Member
Feb 23, 2006
190
0
CynthiaJohnson83 said:
Here is the flyer that I included in my bag. The only thing that I did for my catalogs was put my sticker w/info on it, a sticker that said I love recruits and a sticker that said if you would like to see are new spring products just let me know. This is my ss month 1 so I am new to this pc business. I am excited with the responses that I have got.

I really love that flyer! It's awesome! I shall be taking that and using it with my catalogs that I will be passing around this week! YAY. Thanks for that.
 

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
I ordered my bags Friday and I'm tweaking Cynthia's flyer. Thanks so much Cynthia for such a great flyer! Has anyone else gotten started with their neighborhood project?
 
Sep 6, 2005
233
0
I handed out 50 catalogs on Saturday afternoon to a neighborhood in the next town over from me. So far, I haven't gotten any calls or anything. I hope that's not a bad sign. I only have one show this weekend and then that's it. I made several calls last week to some maybe's that I had and had to leave messages - no one has called me back yet.
 

CarlyK

Member
Feb 23, 2006
190
0
I just got my bags on Saturday and I must say that I love Nancys! They are awesome. I even got a few cool little "thank you for your order" gifts. Now I am preparing my catalogs with a cute little poem that I saw on another Yahoo Group.

Though the date on this catalog may be old,
Just look inside and you’ll be sold…
Many great products you will see
Call me to learn how to get some FREE!!


Call me for a new catalog!
“Your Info"
 

chee65

Member
Jan 31, 2006
221
0
I absolutely love that flyer. I am going to put my own info on it and use it. I also love the poem I am going to use that too. I have probably 100 old catalogs from past seasons that was given to me by my director and upline director. So as soon as I sign off from this site I am going straight to Nancy's. Thanks you all I am now excited to do this.
 
Oct 12, 2005
2
0
Catalogs in Neighborhood

I have an AVON lady who does the same thing here in my neighborhood. When I first started I made flyers for my neighbors and made the mistake of putting them in the mailbox...luckly I had a nice postman and he basically said that you are not allowed to open the mailbox and put things in because that is tampering but you can hang things on the flag or put things in the newspaper box...so I started to put my catalogs on the front door w/ the PC bags from Nancy's Artwork..
 

sivlepa

Member
Feb 22, 2006
59
0
old catalogues and new prices!

I've noticed some price changes on products from the Fall/WInter versus the Spring/Summer catalogue. Does any one place a note that prices may have been changed between the new and old, when distributing the old catalogues?
I too have many old catalogues but am worried about "false advertising"...
:confused:
 
Oct 18, 2005
10
0
Don't waste your catalogs

I live in a large apartment complex, and I've given out I don't know HOW many catalogs with friendly flyers, mini-catalogs, everything. NOT A SINGLE CALL. Better bet: distribute your catalogs to local coffee shops, doctors offices (anyplace with a waiting room), nail salons.... That way, if they don't want it, they leave it for someone who does (and your money doesn't get tossed in the garbage...). =)
 

pampermeRai

Member
Mar 12, 2006
91
0
Getting catalogs to neighbors

ChefLisa said:
Our homeowners association placed our newsletters in our mailboxes. When the postal worker saw that, it was reported and cost our association about $300.00. They were told nothing could be placed in or on the mailboxes. My guess is some mail carriers report these infractions and some do not. If you want to hang catalogs, I would suggest placing them in bags and hook them on doorknobs. Also, does your neighborhood have a home owners association? If so, is there a rule agains soliciating in the neighborhood? If not, you really do not have much to lose by hanging them.


Has anyone tried mailing out catalogs to the neighbors in a "Current Resident" format? Interested in seeing how this works:)
 

Terrygyrl

Novice Member
Sep 14, 2005
26
0
Got my bags!

I got my bags yesterday so I think I will try this next week. You don't know until you try! My neighborhood has lots of new houses so I hope people will want to show off their new homes with a party.
 
P

Pampered Laura

Guest
Just as a word of warning... although I looooove the flyer that was posted above (thanks SO MUCH for this!) , make sure you change the March special to read "Mixing BOWL" instead of "BOWEL". teehee!:D :D :D :eek:
 

Jayne

Member
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2006
230
0
I'm doing the same thing. I saw the flyer posted from another thread yesterday and ordered my bags from Nancy's right then and there. I was going to use new catalogs, not even thinking about all the old ones I have left (thanks everyone)! Nancy is probably really busy right now shipping out all of those bags. I can't wait to get mine. It's a great idea!! GREAT FLYER TOO!! I think I'll make labels with the little poem just posted and put them right on the catalog!! I love this site. Soooo many GREAT ideas!!
 
Feb 2, 2006
118
0
i put a flier in the bags that said a PC lady lives in your neighboor hood call to book a party or host a show and recieve a gift. Then i put in an old catalogue and my info in a pc door bag. I paid the neighboor boys $15 to put 150 on peoples door. I got about 10 calls for orders =$400 and 3 parties booked. I hope more will come, Find a 13 yr old that needs money its much easier then doing it your self.
 

chee65

Member
Jan 31, 2006
221
0
I noticed the the flyer had some color to it. How do you make so many copies of the colored flyer? Do you print it on your computer or do you take it to a copy place? I was thinking if I printed 100 copies on my printer it would cost alot. What does it cost to make colored copies at a copy place? Anyway just curious how you do it.

Thanks,
Charlie
 
Mar 2, 2006
308
0
On my HWC invites that I did for my host, I did it in grey scale, and printed on pink paper. It turned out great!! the ribbons looked as if I had did them in a different shade of pink, when it was all done in black and white. You may want to go get a pack of brightly colored paper, and try that..(just my opinion) I do my on my home computer. not sure how much some place would charge.. i would guess .25+ a copy. maybe more for color.
:)
 

its_me_susan

Senior Member
Jul 31, 2005
2,053
10
Terrygyrl said:
There's an Avon lady in my neighborhood who-bless her heart-is always putting catalogs in a plastic bag on my mailbox flag. Since I have a ton of Fall catalogs I was considering doing this too with a not saying call for a new catalog, blah blah. Does anyone else do this? Is it legal to mess with peoples' mailboxes? What time of day should I do it? Before the mailman makes his run or after?

Thanks!

Our post office has said it's not legal to leave them in post boxes. I love the idea of leaving the old ones (I have a stack myself). One of our directors sends a Whip Cancer note with new catalogs around her neighborhood and raises about $1000 in sales that way ~ people that wouldn't ordinarily buy, but in May to help with the fundraiser. Just a thought.
 
Top