• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Helping Your Host Choose a Recipe for Your Upcoming Party

In summary, the party host does not have any recipes for the party. They are in charge of appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. The party is on Tuesday, and the host is still trying to figure out what recipes to make. The host received an e-mail from the guest asking for two recipes to choose from. The host is thinking of emailing back and asking which one the guest wants to make ahead of time, and which one the host should demo.
lt1jane
Gold Member
I have a party on Tuesday that I still don't have a recipe for. I will take some blame for not doing a good job host coaching.

In all of my host packets, I have a letter asking them to decide if they want an appetizer, a main dish, or a dessert so I can get recipe suggestions to them. Most hosts get back to me quicly with the direction they want to go. She obviously didn't look at her pack at all and didn't read the letter. When discussing her head count I mentioned we hadn't decided on what type of recipe to make yet. Her response was that I hadn't sent her any recipes yet. I said I needed to know which direction she wanted to go first. She didn't know what she wanted so I told her I'd send her some suggestions. I sent her a list of six recipes to think about. Two appetizers, two main dishes, and two desserts. She requested to look at two recipes, decided she didn't like them and requested to look at two more recipes.

Tonight I get an e-mail back that she wants both of the last recipes (an appetizer and a dessert). How do I say you need to pick one? I'm thinking of e-mailing back and asking which one she she wants to make ahead of time and which one she wants me to demo. I don't want to be rude, but I also dont want to be her caterer.

Thanks

Just tell her that you will only be doing one b/c people will want time to socialize, but she is welcome to make the other one ahead of time if she would like.

Sandi

I would nicely say exactly what you said here...."That's wonderful, great choices! So if you could please make sure the dessert is complete when I arrive, I will demo the appetizer and decorate, finish up, explain how to make (whatever fits) the dessert while the appetizer is cooking, guests are eating etc (again whatever fits). :)

This way you're not asking her, giving her the option to say no, you're telling her how you'll run her show and what her responsibility is if she wants two recipes.

Wow, I don't even really give them an option. I just say my recipe this month is... and talk it up. so far I have only had one person say they didn't want that because they wanted something else. I did the something else she requested because it was super easy and I could demo a lot of products. Since this is my business and since I buy all the groceries, I do it my way. I make it as easy as possible for me and the host and no one seems to mind at all. I also don't seem to have any trouble getting the bookings I want and ALWAYS have happy hosts. It's not about the recipe, it's about being able to sell effectively, even if that is just from the catalog.

In my host packets I give them 3-4 recipes to chose from each season. You might find switching to something like this will help a lot. You don't have to worry about what products go with what recipe you might offer or that your host wants after they want to review recipe after recipe.

As far as telling her I would just say something like "Those are great recipe choices, I always make sure to taste-test each recipe before I offer them so I know that either recipe will be a hit. Due to time and the nature of Pampered Chef shows I only offer to do one recipe for your show. If you would like to prepare and have one of the recipes done ahead of time, that would be great and we will focus on one recipe during the party."

I'm with Shelly. I don't give them an option. I've never had anyone question what I'm making.

Me either. You totally gave that host too much control. I give one recipe, no choices, unless there is an issue w/ an allergy or something. Otherwise, I tell them I know best what recipes show the most products and what works.
I did however, have a host back in Jan who was a real pain, I always suggest the fajitas and salsa to new hosts and this was a new host, she was fine w/ the recipe but then balked when I said I didn't want to make a dessert. I did a skillet cake to appease her, (everything was make up ahead of time before I got there and all I had to do was put it in the pan) and her show ended up being 1k that day, but that is the FIRST time that I've caved like that....

I know you want to please your hosts, but if they can't get back to you in a timely manner, just tell them what you would prefer to make. I'm sure they don't even really care.

I'd call her (if you can) and say "Thanks for looking through the recipes. Which one of those two is your #1 pick? I try to only demo one recipe, because if I do 2, it can sometimes take too much time and your guests will get antsy. ;) You are welcome to prepare the other one, if you'd really like it for your guests. Or if you just want to be sure there's additional food, you can pick up something from the store to keep it simple for yourself. I can do a second recipe only if it's a super quick one. We can make a homemade salsa served w/ chips or a dessert in the Deep Covered Baker in the microwave that is super simple and a crowd favorite. What do you think?"I don't have them pick a type first and then give them recipes. I just give them a choice between 3 or 4 recipes and that's it. One option is always a meatless one, and one is always a more healthy one. If they want an additional recipe, or a dessert, I tell them I can only do a super easy & fast one--the Chocolate PB Cake in the DCB or other flavor variety (or in the fluted stone if their microwave is too small.) I let them know that I only do one main recipe, but they are welcome to prepare any additional things ahead of time if they want to. I encourage them not to though, so that they aren't stressed out or feel like having a party is major work. Plus if they do too much, guests might not book because they might think that it's a lot of work, or expensive to buy all that food. My last host wanted to make S'More Cups ahead of time because she really has been wanting to try them. Other hosts will pick up a veggie tray. Or I tell them to just get a loaf of bakery bread and I'll bring the Olive Oil and Dipping Seasonings.

Now that it's morning and I've gotten some sleep. The two recipes she chose are the Artichoke Tapenade (very salsa-ish, quick, and easy) and the Banana Creme Trifle. I can toss the ingredients in the MFP and pass it around and start on the Trifle. I will do both of them. In the future, I will make it clearer to choose one recipe. If they want a second recipe, it must be something simple and quick (MFP recipes come to mind).

I like to cook, so I don't mind offering a variety of recipes. When I was a host I was always asked if I wanted an appetizer, a main dish, or a dessert so that is what I have done. Once I get that answer, I give them a choice of three recipes. (Which was how it happened when I was a host. I hosted with several different consultants, it was not always the same person.)

Make it an interactive show & let the guests split up & do the two recipes. ;)

I always ask what type of recipe they want, too. They might say, appetizer, and I say . . . . I've been doing the Calico Salsa and people are LOVING it. What do you think? They always pick the recipe I suggested (and wanted all the time), but it seems like they made the choice. :) I don't mind giving lots of choices if I have to. I always make a check list for recipes I do and keep it on my computer. Then I print it out and check it off as I am packing so I don't forget anything.

Sandi

How long would it take to do two? I just crack up at people that are so militant about only doing 1. It's THEIR home. If they buy the ingredients and it doesn't take to much time, what difference would it make? Do one ahead of time and do an air demo. We are guests.

I tend to agree with Nancy here, if they want two I just do it... I might warn them that it will take more time, but honestly, if they have folks there buying I will pretty much do whatever they want!

If I'm doing two recipes...I'm only demoing one. The second one is prepared ahead of time- either by me or by the host, and then we cook it or maybe final assembly before serving- depending on what it is. Usually it's a molten chocolate cake in the DCB, so the batter is ready to go (me or host), and we plop the icing on and pop it in the microwave.It all depends on what my 2nd recipe is. But I don't go "Wanda Nazi" on the host and say pick ONE! :D As long as I am not putting out the money on the stuff, why not?! Just don't SHOW how to make both of them. K.I.S.S.! ;)

I just want to clarify I only offer one recipe a month that I demo fully. I ALWAYS do the Molten Lava cake and since I take the batter prepared and all I do is dollop the icing on top I don't consider that a recipe. Last month I did the Calzone and used the MFP to chop the ham, broccoli and the onions. While it was baking I let the guests make the Mango confetti salsa. I just don't give them options and I Buy ALL the ingredients. I never make my host buy anything unless I am traveling a distance to do their show. If they save the reciept, I reimburse them on the spot.

Jane,
Have you made the tapendade before? If you follow the recipe and put the entire amount of all ingredients in at once, it won't work. Or, at least mine didn't. I had to take everything out and only do 1/2 at a time. At that point, it worked great. The recipe is really good, very tasty.

I do two recipes a lot. Usually one is like a salsa or a trifle, something simple and easy. I never make two detailed recipes. I give them the option of doing only one or if two, but I don't give them options, I just tell the the two recipes I'm making that month. I try to pick recipes that one features the specials for that month and the second feature a special for the following month. It doesn't always work that way, but I try to do that.

I pick a couple recipes and let hosts choose from them - I do appetizers cause they're generally easier, and better for munching while socializing, shopping.
I've only done a couple shows, but for both of them, I let the host know that if they had at least 10 confirmed guests two days before the show, I would bring the ingredients for a quick dessert - then I do a lava cake in DCB, because it literally takes 3 minutes to make, and then 15 minutes in the microwave - very easy, and demos the versatility of the DCB! Sold one so far doing that!

Take back your business from your hosts...you are the driver and in control. RIght now you're the passenger in the back seat....the host is driving the car to wherever she wants it to go. BLAH on that. :)

If you give them something in their packet, change it to read "These are the demo recipe options for the month (and list them). Please choose one and let me know of your selection by X date.

You're all much kinder than I am, I learned very early on from an AD that I can convince a host of one recipe no matter what their theme. So...two years later I have only ever made either the Fajitas in the DCB or the 3 Cheese Garden Pizza. There are 3 shows out of the 100+ that I did something else (Cheeseburger Salad, Ham & Cheese Calzone & a trifle) as they were repeat hosts with the same guest list so I did change it up in that case. I'm not here to cater to them and feed them, I'm here to show them the tools to make a recipe and get the meal on the table fast and in an economical fashion.

I'll bet at year 5 I'm still talking about Fajita's and pizza. ;) (oh I forgot, in the summer I do give an added bonus and do a salsa while the fajita's are cooking, but that is summer only when fruit and veggies actually have flavor.)

I give my hosts a choice of 3-4 recipes in the hostess packet. If they get at least $100 in outside orders I bring a dessert(or extra recipe depending on ewhat the original chosen recipe was) This gets them getting outside orders and I usually just do a lava cake or trifle recipe for the extra. LAtely I have been doing salsa as the extra in the MFP. I do not mind doing 2 recipes. ALot of time you have one cooking and then you can quickly throw a dessert togehter. Just have ost everything ready to go before the guests arrive. NOw I did a party yesterday that she wanted 2 chicken Enchilada pizzas and a trifle bowl dessert. She did not get any outside orders so I told her she had to get the ingredients for everything. There were at least 20 guests plus kids and boyfriends/husbands etc. SHe made a ton of other little finger fooods too. Well, I was glad I had her get everything and stuck to my guns about only bringing the free recipe if they get the $100 in orders. Only 6 people ordered!! Show total was $282!! I think she was a little ticked at me, I bet she spent more on food that she will get in free product, but that was her idea to do all that. MY show average is $800 right now, so I know it was not me. It was just a strange crowd. No interaction and just strange. Anyways, I do not mind doing 2 recipes and think if they are quick it does not get too boring. You just need to find a system that works for you! :)

1. How do I politely decline a host's invitation to a Pampered Chef party?

There are a few ways you can politely decline a host's invitation to a Pampered Chef party. You can thank them for the invitation and let them know that you won't be able to attend due to prior commitments. You can also be honest and let them know that you're not interested in attending at this time. Whatever you choose, be sure to thank them for thinking of you.

2. What if I already have plans on the date of the Pampered Chef party?

If you already have plans on the date of the Pampered Chef party, it's okay to decline the invitation. You can let the host know that you won't be able to attend due to prior commitments, but thank them for the invitation. You can also offer to host your own party at a later date if you're interested in Pampered Chef products.

3. Do I have to give a reason for declining the invitation?

No, you do not have to give a reason for declining the invitation. It's perfectly acceptable to simply thank the host for the invitation and let them know that you won't be able to attend at this time. If you feel comfortable, you can offer a reason, but it's not necessary.

4. Can I still support my friend's Pampered Chef party without attending?

Yes, you can still support your friend's Pampered Chef party without attending. You can place an order through the host's website or catalogue, or even offer to host your own party at a later date. Your friend will appreciate your support regardless of whether or not you attend the party.

5. How can I politely decline without hurting the host's feelings?

When declining a host's invitation, it's important to be polite and considerate of their feelings. You can thank them for the invitation and let them know that you won't be able to attend, but that you appreciate them thinking of you. You can also offer to support their party in other ways, such as placing an order or hosting your own party at a later date.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• towerbabel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
towerbabel
  • yankfan24
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lesliec
Replies