• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Avoid Cancelled Shows?

it never seemed to happen. I've been doing this for over a year now, and cancellations have been infrequent. I think it's because I keep the host apprised of what's going on with the show, and I make sure they know the date, time, and place of the show. If for some reason they can't come, I always try to get them to at least watch the show. If the show is going really bad, I'll call them right before the show and tell them to come to the end. ... Honestly, I would much rather they not come than have them show up and ruin the show.
pamperedmaren
Hey everyone!

I've been having a lot of trouble lately with cancelled shows. I know that part of it was the busy holiday season, but it's pretty disappointing every time it happens. Does anyone else find this to be a problem? How do you encourage hosts to set a date and stick with it? Thanks for your help!

Cancelled showsHave you participated in the Tele-Classes or listened to the recorded ones? I just got done listening to the "Booking a year round business", and it was great. One of the things that he said to minimize cancellations is to stay in touch through host coaching. He says that every 3 to 4 days, he is sending out postcards, (like those from nancys, www.nancyweb.com), and placing calls.

He also said that shows tend to be cancelled more in January than any other month. I forget what statistics he said, but he said it is higher, so try not to get discouraged. It has been a very slow month for me too (It is my SS3).

Also, just FYI, due to the new guidelines, we aren't allowed to list our website addresses on anything we post online. Unless it is in your email to someone. We don't want to put this website in jeopardy, because there is way too much great information on here.

Keep us posted, and I hope this helps.

Kim

I haven't started doing this and I think I may, is sending out invitations for your hosts. Have them give you a list of names and the addresses and you send out the postcards. Some consultants have the hosts give them money for postage some don't. I think this minimizes cancellations because the hosts know the invites have already been sent out and postage has been paid for. I know most people that do this say it has drastically reduced the amount of cancellations they have.

I reference back to our "Host Coaching" Section in our PC binder sent in our starter kit. There is so much useful infomation in their. Also, I agree that to stay in touch with your host is key. I recently found a letter on this website to your hosts explaining in detail evrything they need to know about their show - I'm not sure what the name of it is but you can search for under the flyers and letters. If I find it again, I will send it to you.

You can also remind your hosts of the January special. It's an awesome special - An extra 50% in product value is a huge plus! You can give them the January special flyer from the PC website so they can see the difference in Free product value.

Hope this helps...happy cooking!

Just added a pollThanks guys. You're all so helpful!

I just added the poll so I could get a feel for what other consultants are doing. For those of you that say Yes, can you please let us all know if you have seen an appreciable difference? Thanks.

My mom's consultant (she's a director) sends out all the invitations for her shows. She gives a self-addressed stamped enveloped to the host with a form for the host to fill out all the guest names & information. And if the host gives her the full 40 guest names/info, she gives them the barboard/knife combo as a thank you. She says it has dramatically increased her show attendance, as she sends out all the invites and makes sure that she calls every invited guest to ensure they got their invitation and ask that they RSVP to the host before the date of the show. Though the price of the stamps might deter some from doing this, she is seeing a huge difference in show attendance and sales, and she feels it is a worthwhile investment into each show to increase its success. ... though I think she might have questioned such an act with my mom's current show--she sent out 84 invitations! :D Hope the return is awesome on that investment!

I send out the invites for my host and pay the postage myself. (I also give the host about 10 invites to hand out the people he/she might run into that they forgot to invite) This does two things for me. First I have the name, address, and phone number of the quests, and I know how many people are actually invited. And I do the reminder calls two days before the show. I always had a hard time getting the host the make the reminder phone calls, and no matter how much I stressed that making those calls would increase attendance and in turn better show sales, I don't think my guests did this.

And two, This make the hosts job this much easier and I found more people are willing to host a show if they have less that they have to do for it. I also do the shopping and the host pays me for the ingredients. So all the host has to do is give me the guest list and clean her house. I do the rest. It's amazing how much they appreciate me doing those little extra things for them. And when they tell their guests hwo easy it was, more guests are willing to book a show of their own.

Tina,

Those are awesome ideas. I think I'll try asking for phone numbers, too. Then I'll have more control and a cancellation is even less likely! Plus, greater attendance overall. Thanks for sharing.

That is exactly why I love this site. I NEVER would have thought to offer a small gift for having 40 or more on a guest list! What a great idea and what a great way to ensure that the host will at least TRY to get a bigger guest list together. The problems I've seemed to have with most of my hosts so far is that they just seem not to CARE. I even had a host once who told each guest as they arrived "Please don't feel obligated to buy anything." I felt like SMACKING her everytime she said it!

PamperedPrincess74 said:
I even had a host once who told each guest as they arrived "Please don't feel obligated to buy anything." I felt like SMACKING her everytime she said it!

You know, I NEVER want someone coming to my shows to feel obligated to buy anything. If they are coming to support their friends and/or get out of the house, that's fine with me. To me, that's the whole reason you want your hosts to have a large crowd...so that no on person feels obligated to buy anything. The people that can't afford to buy anything are the exact people who need to get out of the house for a fun time with friends. I would hate for anyone not to come to one of my parties because he/she felt there was a price for admission. The only PC party I ever had before coming a consultant, I did the EXACT same thing. I felt so uncomfortable inviting people to a gathering clearly designed to benefit me, I let everyone know that I in no way expected them to purchase anything if they didn't want to. (By the way, I can't remember exactly because it was years ago...but my guess is that my party was over $800).

Just my opinion...not meant to offend.

Sandy

I see what you are saying about the guests not feeling OBLIGATED. And for someone who can't afford to buy something at a show, I certainly would rather them spend their money on things they NEED, like bills or on their children. I definately wouldn't want to see someone get into trouble financially because they felt obligated to buy something at a PC show.

That being said, while it's a fun night out for the host and her friends, it's a JOB for me. I'm taking MY time and MY $ (I always provide the ingredients and postage for invitations) and I'm providing a service, and I'd appreciate if the host, who agreed to host the show (or in her case asked to host it) didn't go out of her way to DISCOURAGE people. I'd rather she just say nothing.

the up sideperhaps the host has some insight to the finances of these guests, that said, turn lemons into lemonade and push the booking angle. Don't want to pay full price, book. Enjoy an evening out with friends, book. Don't need anything, then book a show and start shopping early for Christmas lol. Get it! lol

Lorna, that's a great point. Of course I want high sales, but I'd much rather get a booking than have someone spend $30 that they really can't afford.

In fact, if you could say it tactfully, you could even just plain say that in your shows, that there's no pressure to buy but hosting a show can still get you the kitchen tools you want for free or at a discount. Thanks for the different mindset, Lorna.

Hi all! I send out my hostess invites IF she doesn't have the time or asks me to, she does pay for postage. I try to make the hostess' job as easy as possible, isn't that we are supposed to do? I have probably had to do this 10 out of 40 times. It's all about pleasing my hostess, so she comes back to me IMO.

cancelwell, i offer both.... i just had my first cancellation.... i've been doing this for 3 years now... i host coached out the wazoo... her show is next saturday and something came up and unable to have show.... but she is still trying as a catalog... but i am bummed.. : (

1. How can I prevent a show from being cancelled?

To avoid a cancelled show, it is important to communicate with your host and guests regularly. Make sure to confirm the date and time of the show at least a week in advance and remind your host to invite guests. Additionally, offering incentives or special deals can also encourage guests to attend and prevent cancellations.

2. What should I do if a guest cancels last minute?

If a guest cancels last minute, it is important to remain calm and professional. Reach out to your host and see if they can invite someone else to take their place. You can also offer to do a virtual show for the guest who cancelled to still make a sale. It is important to be understanding and flexible in these situations.

3. How do I handle a host who wants to cancel the show?

If your host wants to cancel the show, try to find out the reason why. If it is due to personal circumstances, offer to reschedule the show for a more convenient time. If the host is not interested in having a show anymore, thank them for considering and move on to other potential hosts. Remember to always remain positive and professional.

4. What can I do if I have a low RSVP rate?

If you have a low RSVP rate for your show, it is important to reach out to your host and see if they can invite more guests or promote the show on social media. You can also offer a special deal for guests who RSVP and attend the show. If necessary, consider rescheduling the show for a different date to allow for more time to invite guests.

5. How do I handle a show that has been cancelled?

In the event that a show is cancelled, try to reschedule it for a later date if possible. You can also offer to do a virtual show for the host and their guests to still make sales. If the show cannot be rescheduled, thank the host for considering and move on to other potential hosts. Remember to stay positive and professional even in difficult situations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Mary Rose
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Mary Rose
  • gussey30
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lesliec
Replies