• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Host Coach if You Won't Call or Email Me Back?!?

L
Leanna
Sorry this is so long but I'm new and need advice. I can't believe with my 4th ever show I am having SO much trouble.

At my first ever show, my host's best friend booked a show for me because she knew how hard DS were to get started and wanted to help me get out of my circle. So I gave her a host pack at the show, explained several times that I would set her up on PWS and email her that info and then call her within the week to go over other details such as recipes, invitations, etc.

That was January 28. Today, I have emailed about 6 times and called at least 8. The one time I called, her husband answered and I could hear her in the background and he said she was leaving to go to physical therapy. Ok, fine. BUT CALL ME BACK!!! Or at least email me.

To make it even better... last Friday, I called my previous host who is a good friend of mine and told her that I haven't been able to get a hold of upcoming host and has she heard from her? My friend says that she's also tried several times that week but couldn't get a hold of her. Then she text me later and said "Susie Q" is here and we're going over recipes to see what she wants to do. :mad: I text back that I'm willing to discuss recipes with her but there are some recipes that just aren't good demo recipes or since I am new (which they are well aware of), I may not have the right things to do it but that I had plenty of suggestions and that she could do another recipe if she wanted to. Hours later, I get a recipe back that I don't have 1/2 the tools for. So I tell her that (keep in mind- still talking to my friend, not my upcoming host and via text at that-ugh) and she says "well Susie Q left and just said she'd look to see if she had the tools. :cry::cry::cry: Not the point. How can I practice a new recipe if I don't have 1/2 the tools. 1 or 2, ok I don't mind but really like 1/2 of them.

And now it's Tuesday and I STILL have yet to hear from her. I sent an email with 4 recipe choices and once again told her that if she wanted to make something else, then she could but these are the choices for my demo. Her show is in less than 10 days.

Now what?!?!

I hate to say it, but this is not unusual. There are often times hosts who are difficult to reach and it is incredibly rare to have anyone call you back. It's our jobs to reach them and expecting them to call us back is something causes us a lot of frustration. I have had customers call me and hosts call me back but it's not the norm, it's the exception.

That being said - you did the right thing giving her recipe options. In fact, it may benefit you to go ahead and decide what 4-6 recipes are going to be your show recipes for the next few months and just put that list in the host packs so there is no confusion for the host. Since she is looking at recipes, it does sound as though she is planning to hold the show. Continue to try to reach her and leave bits of host coaching on her machine or in the emails. But, I wouldn't go past the three day out point without personally speaking with her. At that point I would leave a message stating - "So sorry I have been unable to reach you. Since I haven't heard from you to get a guest count or discuss the necessary items you will need for the recipe............" then you can decide whether you want to say you are assuming the show is cancelled or if you are planning to purchase the ingredients for a recipe of your choice and she will pay you back at the show. Usually either of those will get you a response. Sorry this has happened so early in your business.

That's a good idea to choose the 4-6 recipes and just put in host packets. Especially being so new! Thanks! And I'm already going on about 19 days of not personally speaking to her... ugh. I'll try the message you suggested today. I don't think she is going to cancel because like you said, she was talking about it on Friday and picking a recipe. Here's to hoping I can get a hold of her soon. Thanks for the advice.

My AD does one recipe all month long and doesnt give her hosts a choice unless they specifically request something else. I usually give 2 or 3 choices that Im very comfortable with so that things can flow easier. And I always do the lava cake in the rice cooker (bc i sell so many of them)

I wouldn't necessarily leave a message cancelling the show b/c you do know that she is planning it, unless you are so frustrated that you are wanting to cancel. I would leave messages every few days with a few tidbits that you would discuss in your host coaching, maybe directing her back to something in the host packet or something you would email.
I would email her a couple of recipes and say which one you would like to do and if you don't hear otherwise by XXX date, then you will assume you are doing that recipe. I would also leave a msg after that saying "I'm so glad you didn't have a problem with XXXX recipe, b/c it is one of my favorites and I know your friends will love it."
Some people are difficult, others are not, really just make sure she is getting people in the door. Even if you have to bring the food yourself, if she has the people there, it will work out.

Dutchess said:
My AD does one recipe all month long and doesnt give her hosts a choice unless they specifically request something else. And I always do the lava cake in the rice cooker (bc i sell so many of them)

I agree with this method. Seriously...make is easy on yourself. If you do, you'll recruit. Trust me. It really works best to streamline and minimalize your shows. Take only the products you need to make the recipe. I am sure others will agree with me.

Dutchess said:
My AD does one recipe all month long and doesnt give her hosts a choice unless they specifically request something else. I usually give 2 or 3 choices that Im very comfortable with so that things can flow easier. And I always do the lava cake in the rice cooker (bc i sell so many of them)

you make a lava cake in the rice cooker? Do tell?!?!

DessertDivaFL said:
I agree with this method. Seriously...make is easy on yourself. If you do, you'll recruit. Trust me. It really works best to streamline and minimalize your shows. Take only the products you need to make the recipe. I am sure others will agree with me.

This is what was discussed at our Spring Launch, so I agree whole heartedly. Keep it simple. Good Luck - I'm sorry this has been so frustrating. :yuck:

Thanks girls for the encouragement. After 19 days I am so beyond frustrated but hanging in there because supposedly "her whole neighborhood" will probably attend (so says my friend). I'll keep plugging along!

And the rice cooker lava cake is super easy Brenda- mix the cake up, put it in the rice cooker, add about 4 scoops of icing and cook for about 8 1/2 minutes (more or less depending on power. Take the white piece off first though. Then when it's done, let it sit a few minutes and then flip onto a plate.

Brenda.the.chef said:
you make a lava cake in the rice cooker? Do tell?!?!

Its soooo easy and I sell at least 2 at every show I do. I had never heard of doing it in the DCB till reading it on here

mix the cake mix like it says on the back of the box directly in the Rice Cooker Plus, I always put the wet ingredients in first so that I dont have to try to get all the powder off of the bottom, then when it is all mixed I add 4 large scoops of icing in the center (ends up being about 3/4 of the can). Then I put it in the Microwave (without the lid) for 8.5 minutes. If a persons microwave is newer ill start with 8 min. A sure fire way to tell if its done is when it separates from the sides of the Rice Cooker.

I let it cool for a couple of minutes, usually while I finish up talking about whatever it is Im speaking of at the moment. The I put a plate upside down on the top of it and flip it. I love the oohhs I get as all the icing is streaming down the sides of it!!

I have found that it doesnt work with a yellow or white cake mix with chocolate icing.

I usually tell them red velvet with chocolate, chocolate with chocolate, lemon with lemon or cream cheese or strawberry with strawberry or cream cheese

My husband laughs saying its my signature dessert, but until I stop selling the Rice Cookers at every show then I am going to continue to do it. Its such an easy thing to do and not at all expensive. Its funny too bc then I get emails or calls asking how to do the Rice in it bc everyone buys it to do cakes lol

I've had hosts NEVER call until a day or two before the show. Whether I connect with them "live" or not, I host coach by voicemail and send follow up email...always with the tone that the show is on.

Most times, the shows have been successful and gone on...they told me they listened and applied my "tips".

A couple of times, the host will call in a panic and cancel....it happens, but it's just part of the biz. For the most part, the shows go on. =)

Do your host coaching...if they were looking at recipes, trust she's working her show. I'd send an email or text to her....
"looking forward to your show! We'll be making X...here's the ingredients you'll need to pick up".

You'll get her replying asap I'm sure! =)

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
, I host coach by voicemail and send follow up email...always with the tone that the show is on.

Love this - Im going to try that instead of "hey, touching base with you about your show"

Leanne,
I am so sorry this has happened, but I guess it is better now earlier in your career.

Having recipes on hand that you are willing to make is a very good suggestion. I personally do only 1 recipe at the show and they only have 1 choice. I know not much of a choice :D. For February it is Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake for March it is Chicken your way with Mango Confetti Salsa. I do this because it is easier on me. That being said, your next message to Suzy should be something like, "Hi Suzy, I am so sorry we keep missing each other. I know you spoke with Mary about recipe choices, however, I have been making the 3 cheese garden pizza. It is super yummy and plus we get to use a ton products making it. Everyone will get to see and try all of these great products and I know after they try them, they will want to buy them. I will email you the recipe ingredients. Please get everything on the list and please do not make any substitutions. If you have any questions, let me know. Suzy, I do like to talk to my host a couple of days before their party, to get a final head count, make sure I know where you live and go over any last minute details. I will call you on Thursday, you are welcome to call me first at a time that is good for you. Don't forget to keep inviting everyone you know who eats and let them know they can bring a friend too. Talk to you on Thursday."

Be very specific in your messages of what you want and what is expected. If Thursday comes and goes and you still cannot reach her. I again assume it is on and just let her know what time you will be there. I would not offer to buy the ingredients, but I would remind her what you are making and to make sure the ingredients are ready when you get there. Always sound excited and enthusiastic. I usually end my calls with, I am so excited to have this party with you. I always say "with you" and not "for me", because having the party is a benefit for them with all of the great products they get for free.

Glad it helped Dutchess!

Wendy - Exactly! eloquent and wonderful!!

I offer the same 3-5 recipes all season long! Makes it easy for me to be prepared. A shopping list goes in the host packet and the host choses one. I've only had one or two in the 4 years I've been in business ask for something else.

I agree- Lately I have had a hard time reaching my hosts to host coach. Often I only get in 1 call. Starting March 1 I am going to get an email address and have Host Coaching emails that I will send if I call and have to leave a message. Always make sure you have the tone that the show is still on. I also offer the same 8 recipes all season long (usually the same 4 always get picked). This makes it easier on me. Just some thoughts to help you out!

Thanks everyone. Amazingly enough, after 19 days, she FINALLY called me back tonight!!!!!!!!!! I guess my last message sounded desperate. And of course she acted like it was nothing. Whatever! So glad I finally got through!!!

And thanks to all of your awesome advice, I have created a flyer for my Spring Summer shows so they have 4 me-approved recipes to choose from! :)

You could always see if your director or recruiter will let you borrow their tools

Leanna said:
Thanks everyone. Amazingly enough, after 19 days, she FINALLY called me back tonight!!!!!!!!!! I guess my last message sounded desperate. And of course she acted like it was nothing. Whatever! So glad I finally got through!!!
It does happen! Some hosts just don't feel like calling back. Or someone previously complained that the host would only respond via email. You know what, at least the host is responding. I get email, texts, and sometimes voicemail host coaching. Yes, if they don't seem to answer their phone I will leave them little tips on their voicemail about their show.

Leanna said:
And thanks to all of your awesome advice, I have created a flyer for my Spring Summer shows so they have 4 me-approved recipes to choose from! :)
It will really help you as you start your business! I offered the same 4 recipes for 1 1/2 years before I changed it up.

wadesgirl said:
It does happen! Some hosts just don't feel like calling back. Or someone previously complained that the host would only respond via email. You know what, at least the host is responding. I get email, texts, and sometimes voicemail host coaching. Yes, if they don't seem to answer their phone I will leave them little tips on their voicemail about their show.

It seems that especially the younger hosts don't understand the calling back or answering the phone thing. I have a friend who is in her 20's. She does another direct sale business too. But she doesn't answer the phone and doesn't call. She does FB and texts. She struggles with her business and we've talked about the importance of the phone call but she isn't going to do it.

I find out my host's method of communication and go with that. While I'd prefer to talk, if that's not her way then I will follow her lead. I want her talking to me and if that means texting or emailing, I'll text or email. It works.

I absolutely prefer email and text (I'm 24- def in that "generation") BUT I force myself to call. But if I get a voicemail and have to follow up with an email, my email is always very detailed because I can sit and edit and don't have to worry about forgetting anything or sounding stupid!

May I ask, which recipes are on everybody's lists? Thinking I want to add this to my host packets as well and just wondering which are the top recipes to pick from.Thanks!Karen

I am doing the Chicken Your Way w/ the Chocolate Lava Cake, Mango Confetti Salsa w/ homemade tortilla chips, Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps and the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad (only cause its my favorite!).

I was thinking of adding a dessert besides the cake witht he chicken but the S/S line is all about healthy eating so I want to reflect that in my recipes!

Leanna said:
I am doing the Chicken Your Way w/ the Chocolate Lava Cake, Mango Confetti Salsa w/ homemade tortilla chips, Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps and the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad (only cause its my favorite!).

I was thinking of adding a dessert besides the cake witht he chicken but the S/S line is all about healthy eating so I want to reflect that in my recipes!

When you do Chicken your way do you have just plain chicken there or you do you make sandwiches or salad or what?

My first suggestion to my hosts will remain the Chicken Fajitas and Salsa or the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad or the Buffalo Chicken Dip. Another option will be veggies/fruit and dip(s) and sauce tasting with cream cheese and crackers or the Mango Confetti Salsa. If they insist on adding a dessert I'll suggest the microwave cake in the fluted pan.

If they want a dessert show I will offer the Strawberry Brownie Trifle or the Warm & Nutty Caramel Brownies.

I do let my hosts have input when choosing recipes if they absolutely don't like what I suggest but I will veto anything that takes too long to prepare for a demo recipe. Even then it's usually easy to find something similar that will work.

BethCooks4U said:
My first suggestion to my hosts will remain the Chicken Fajitas and Salsa or the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad or the Buffalo Chicken Dip. Another option will be veggies/fruit and dip(s) and sauce tasting with cream cheese and crackers or the Mango Confetti Salsa. If they insist on adding a dessert I'll suggest the microwave cake in the fluted pan.

If they want a dessert show I will offer the Strawberry Brownie Trifle or the Warm & Nutty Caramel Brownies.

I do let my hosts have input when choosing recipes if they absolutely don't like what I suggest but I will veto anything that takes too long to prepare for a demo recipe. Even then it's usually easy to find something similar that will work.

Strawberry brownie trifle, tell me more!

wadesgirl said:
Strawberry brownie trifle, tell me more!

Brownie Strawberry Trifle

Ingredients:
1 (19.8 oz) fudge brownie mix with ingredients to make brownies (9x13 size)
2 (3.5 oz) boxes vanilla pudding
1 3/4 cup milk
1 (12 oz) tub whipped topping
1 quart strawberries
Sweet Sprinkles of your choice
Chocolate chips &/or nuts for garnish

Bake brownies according to box. Let cool. Cut into 1 inch squares.

Whisk vanilla pudding with milk, stir in 8 oz. of the whipped topping.

Core and slice strawberries.

In trifle bowl, layer 1/3 of brownies, 1/3 of pudding/whipped topping mixture, 1/3 of strawberries

Repeat x 3.

Using Easy Accent Decorator, garnish with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with additional chocolate, nuts, sprinkles, strawberries…

BethCooks4U said:
Brownie Strawberry Trifle

Ingredients:
1 (19.8 oz) fudge brownie mix with ingredients to make brownies (9x13 size)
2 (3.5 oz) boxes vanilla pudding
1 3/4 cup milk
1 (12 oz) tub whipped topping
1 quart strawberries
Sweet Sprinkles of your choice
Chocolate chips &/or nuts for garnish

Bake brownies according to box. Let cool. Cut into 1 inch squares.

Whisk vanilla pudding with milk, stir in 8 oz. of the whipped topping.

Core and slice strawberries.

In trifle bowl, layer 1/3 of brownies, 1/3 of pudding/whipped topping mixture, 1/3 of strawberries

Repeat x 3.

Using Easy Accent Decorator, garnish with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with additional chocolate, nuts, sprinkles, strawberries…

Mmmmm... I could probably eat the whole bowl by myself!

skaugchef said:
When you do Chicken your way do you have just plain chicken there or you do you make sandwiches or salad or what?

Well, to be honest I haven't done it yet. Waiting on my grill pan but I plan on having the host get chicken tenders and using different rubs on each piece and then cutting into small pieces for people to sample.

1. Why won't my host call or email me back?

Unfortunately, there can be many reasons why your host may not be responding to your attempts to contact them. They may be dealing with personal or family issues, they may have changed their mind about hosting a party, or they may simply be busy and forgetful. It's important to remember that your host is doing you a favor by hosting a party and may not prioritize it as highly as you do.

2. How can I get my host to respond to my attempts to contact them?

One option is to try different methods of communication. Maybe your host prefers text messages over emails or phone calls. You could also try reaching out to a mutual friend or family member who may have an easier time contacting your host. Additionally, you could offer incentives for your host to respond, such as a discount on their party or a free gift for hosting.

3. What should I do if my host is not responding and their party is coming up soon?

If your host is not responding and their party is approaching, it's important to have a backup plan. Reach out to other potential hosts or offer to do an online or catalog party instead. You could also try contacting your host's guests directly to inform them of the situation and see if anyone else is interested in hosting.

4. How can I make sure my host is prepared for their party?

Communication is key when it comes to making sure your host is prepared for their party. Make sure to provide them with all the necessary information, such as recipes, invitations, and product information, as early as possible. Check in with them regularly and offer to answer any questions or concerns they may have. You could also suggest a pre-party planning session to go over the details and make sure everything is in order.

5. Is it common to have trouble with hosts as a new consultant?

Starting out as a new consultant can be challenging, and it's not uncommon to have trouble with hosts. Keep in mind that your hosts are also new to the party planning process and may not fully understand their responsibilities. Stay positive and continue to communicate with your hosts, and eventually, you will build a strong network of reliable hosts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lkhartmann
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
msmileyface
Replies
Views
cewcooks
  • wmrmgr
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies