• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preventing Kitchen Disaster: Damage from Leaving a Flame On

In summary, the speaker had a close call with a fire in their kitchen due to a skillet being left on the stove for too long. Fortunately, no damage was done to the skillet or the utensils left in it. The speaker also shares a similar experience with leaving a skillet on low heat for an extended period of time. The conversation then shifts to a separate incident where a candle caused a fire in the speaker's bathroom, but luckily it was put out with flour.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I had to go get my taxes done last night so came home and made some spaghetti real quick for dinner. I had the sauce on low heat while the garlic bread was in the oven. I swear I turned off the heat right before we ate. I left around 5:30 and didn't get home until almost 9 (ran some errands while I was in the area). Right away I noticed that the flame was still on low under my 12" skillet!!!!! DH put the sauce in the fridge right around the time I left and there was a little residue in the bottom of the skillet and the Chef's Tool Spoon was sitting in the skillet. Nothing happened to the Chef's Tool Spoon and it wasn't even that hot to the touch but what damage do you think I did to my skillet?

I too left my skillet on for a seriously long time one night on very low heat, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions from it.....

Thank the Lord nothing caught fire! My party last Sunday @ my house (b/c the host had a small apt) was so "hot" it set off my smoke alarms. That would be b/c my brand new candle in the bathroom above our jaquzzi tub broke the glass at the top evenly around & had a big fire going. My bedroom & bath were both filled w/smoke it took 20-30mins to get it cleared out. Thank goodness one of the ladies there new flour or baking soda would put out a fire......I had no idea. I tried to blow it out - didn't work. I tried to throw water on it - made it worse. Then I started to run across the street to get my neighbor Mr. Fireman & that is when the lady brought me MY flour & told me to throw it on the flame. It worked........out of the 8 people there only 1 knew that tip.

Wow Kasey, that could have been bad. Nothing looks wrong with my pan and the spoon wasn't melted or anything. It was on the lowest heat setting on a gas stove.

You are basically smothering the fire with the flour...depriving it of oxygen...

What are some safety precautions to prevent kitchen damage from leaving a flame on?

1. Always stay in the kitchen while cooking and never leave the stove unattended.

2. Keep flammable items, such as kitchen towels or oven mitts, away from the stove.

3. Make sure to turn off the flame immediately if you need to step away from the kitchen.

4. Keep a fire extinguisher or baking soda nearby in case of a grease fire.

5. Install smoke detectors in the kitchen and make sure they are in working condition.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • RMDave
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies