• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Packet Letter From Another Ds Company

In summary, a best friend received a new host packet letter from her friend who works for a direct sales company. The letter outlines the cancellation/rescheduling policy, party details, payment information, and hosting rewards. The writer has mixed feelings about the letter, as it comes off as cold and impersonal. It is speculated that the company may be selling sex toys. Some feel that the letter is too detailed and may not be read in its entirety by hosts. Others prefer a more personal and encouraging approach to host coaching.
cookiebug
My best friend works for one of "those" DS companies and I recently saw her new host packet letter. Below is her letter word for word. I have mixed feelings about this letter as a business and as a potential host. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for hosting a party with me and inviting me into your home.
Please read through this letter as it will assure you a successful party.​
Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy:As much as I love doing my parties and having fun please keep in mind _ _ _ is my business and my primary source of income. If for some reason you need to reschedule your party, please understand I need at least 2 weeks notice. Any party that cancels within 5 days of the event will require a $25 deposit to reschedule, which will be returned when you party holds.

Important Information"You will want to provide beverages and light snacks" (Moderate wine and alcohol increases sales, excessive consumption hurts sales)
"The party will close the night of your party UNLESS you had booked your party within 10 days. If you booked a "last minute" party, you will have an additional 3 days to close the party.
"There needs to be a minimum of 6 guests (couples counts as ONE) at your party.
"I will need to confirm your party and the amount of expected guests within 24-48 hours of the party event. This is very important because if I don't get a confirmation I will assume there was an emergency and the party is cancelled and I will not appear at our scheduled appointment.

Inform your guests:"YOUR PARTY IS NOW OPEN - which means orders can be made now and up until your party ends.
all orders and payment is expected in full the night of the party and the party will close the same night.
"All forms of payment are accepted Visa, MC, Disc, AMEX, Cahs and checks payable to _ _
"Everyone must place orders by that night or you will not receive the credit for those orders placed after I leave.
"All items will arrive in 7-10 business days, sent either directly to guests or hostess, whichever they prefer.
"All guests must be atelast 18, not even babies and children. I cannot set up until all children have left the home.

Hosting has great rewardsMy average party with 15-20 guests is over $1,000. $1,000 and 5 bookings is your goal. You receive 10% of the sales in credit, bonus shopping dollars hostess exclusives and monthly specials. The higher the sales the more you receive. Bookings made the night of your party will give you an even larger amount in free credit!!

Then she has some info about outside orders thats pretty standard for everyone.

On one hand, I like the idea of having it there in black and white, letting your hosts know this is whats going to happen and running your business on you and not closing by them, on the other hadn, does it hurt or help to be this way? As a host standpoint, I am a little offended, but I also understand her position as an IBO.

Your thoughts?

I read "sex toy party" before I even got to the "18 years or older" clause. LOLI understand the "this is my business" part and have used it in the past, but I'm not fond of the $25 reschedule fee.My guess is the ones who are not against the type of party are also not against the alcohol. I'd never use the alcohol phrase for a PC party.That line of business is so forward anyway, that this probably works okay for her. I see PC as being a bit more reserved in products and style. ;)

Not very personable and certainly not the way I would approach and/or coach my hosts. I agree with Sheila that it's probably a sex toy party. I also think it's TOO much reading! How many hosts do you know actually sit down and read absolutely everything you give them in their packet? I personally prefer the 1:1 host coaching to make the party as easy and enjoyable as possible.

too much detail..
sometimes I think even some of our host letter formats have too much detail; I wonder how many really read the whole thing?

This is cold, harsh! No fun in it. No "partnering" as a team. No consultant wanting to help in every way. I would be afraid of screwing up if I were a host! My host letter is full of encouragement and helpful suggestiongs, not ultimatums. Wow, I am actually speechless (minus the reply)!

As long as this letter is sent after initial personal interaction is made, and along with friendly and warm host coaching, I think it's great that she has everything that she expects spelled out so there's no miscommunication.

I llove the "couples count as one" part. I cannot tell you how many parties i have done where there was going to be 20--yeah and it turned out to be 3 couples, 5 teenages and assorted other children.

Nanisu said:
I llove the "couples count as one" part. I cannot tell you how many parties i have done where there was going to be 20--yeah and it turned out to be 3 couples, 5 teenages and assorted other children.

I agree with this and wouldn't mind putting a friendly reminder in mine about couples counting as one... but I think the rest of it is harsh. I can't imagine giving this letter to most of my hosts!!

Y'all are right it is a "toy" company. I thought some of the same things. I liked some of the points she made and I liked the idea of of expressing the closing that night and outlining everything but some things I don't agree with. Thanks for the feedback, I want to talk to her about her letter and get her responses to it and its good to have tohers feedback too.

I will say my friend is REALLY good at her job and is a national director with her company.

WOW, evidently someone ticked her off! And, she's making the rest of her hosts pay for it. It will hurt her in the long run and she won't be in business at all with a letter like that! She needs to make it fun and all about the host having a great party! This letter is all about her....poor taste in my opinion.

cookiebug said:
Y'all are right it is a "toy" company. I thought some of the same things. I liked some of the points she made and I liked the idea of of expressing the closing that night and outlining everything but some things I don't agree with. Thanks for the feedback, I want to talk to her about her letter and get her responses to it and its good to have tohers feedback too.

I will say my friend is REALLY good at her job and is a national director with her company.

I think if its working for her, then good for her! Like someone else mentioned - because of the nature of the products, people expect more forwardness, I think. It just wouldn't work with my customers!

cookiebug said:
My best friend works for one of "those" DS companies and I recently saw her new host packet letter. Below is her letter word for word. I have mixed feelings about this letter as a business and as a potential host. What are your thoughts?

Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy:As much as I love doing my parties and having fun please keep in mind _ _ _ is my business and my primary source of income. If for some reason you need to reschedule your party, please understand I need at least 2 weeks notice. Any party that cancels within 5 days of the event will require a $25 deposit to reschedule, which will be returned when you party holds. Wow! I know we've all THOUGHT about this but I would hate to track those people down demanding $25! This is our business and while it's our life, it's not the host's life. Things do happen that makes people not able to have a party.

Important Information"You will want to provide beverages and light snacks" (Moderate wine and alcohol increases sales, excessive consumption hurts sales) I know several of my hosts who would never serve alcohol at their parties, I would never come right out and encourage it!! Although for "that" kind of party I guess it might just be implied anyway!! But then again I've never had alcohol be the deciding factor nor would I want to promote this to make a show higher!
"The party will close the night of your party UNLESS you had booked your party within 10 days. If you booked a "last minute" party, you will have an additional 3 days to close the party.I know people who do this in PC but for me just not the kind of thing I would demand
"There needs to be a minimum of 6 guests (couples counts as ONE) at your party.I can only image how many parties that would get cancelled and have to pay $25 for having less than 6 people. These are sometimes actually my favorite parties!!
"I will need to confirm your party and the amount of expected guests within 24-48 hours of the party event. This is very important because if I don't get a confirmation I will assume there was an emergency and the party is cancelled and I will not appear at our scheduled appointment.A little harsh from my opinion

Inform your guests:"YOUR PARTY IS NOW OPEN - which means orders can be made now and up until your party ends.
all orders and payment is expected in full the night of the party and the party will close the same night.
"All forms of payment are accepted Visa, MC, Disc, AMEX, Cahs and checks payable to _ _
"Everyone must place orders by that night or you will not receive the credit for those orders placed after I leave.
"All items will arrive in 7-10 business days, sent either directly to guests or hostess, whichever they prefer.
"All guests must be atelast 18, not even babies and children. I cannot set up until all children have left the home.

Hosting has great rewardsMy average party with 15-20 guests is over $1,000. $1,000 and 5 bookings is your goal. You receive 10% of the sales in credit, bonus shopping dollars hostess exclusives and monthly specials. The higher the sales the more you receive. Bookings made the night of your party will give you an even larger amount in free credit!!Wow, she's shooting high for 5 parties but then again aiming high can get you results. I do sort of like this kind of thing to point out sort of like the new catalog does now with the $600 show average area

On one hand, I like the idea of having it there in black and white, letting your hosts know this is whats going to happen and running your business on you and not closing by them, on the other hadn, does it hurt or help to be this way? As a host standpoint, I am a little offended, but I also understand her position as an IBO.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts are posted in red above. I believe a lot of these items are things we have all thought but it does seem a little harsh to put this in a letter. It would probably make me not want to have a party with this person. I do agree that sometimes these things can be delivered nice when host coaching in person not in a note.

"a friend" :) received a very similar letter for the "adult" party..... only it was clearly stated FEMALES ONLY as well. Hubby was in basement.... or so was the plan. The consultant left because Hubby was in the house. AND IF there was a reschedule (since Hubby and everyone else attending thought it was a bogus concept) there was to be a fee. So much for her loss. Party went on without her and her products.
That being said, for 'those' parties, I understand some of the rules, but some are just rude.
Just my 2 cents.

One note - it's not a $25 cancellation fee - it's a $25 rescheduling fee. Sort of in the same tone of "I won't reschedule your show until you give me your guest list" type of thing. If that works for her - GREAT!

cookiebug said:

Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy:As much as I love doing my parties and having fun please keep in mind _ _ _ is my business and my primary source of income. If for some reason you need to reschedule your party, please understand I need at least 2 weeks notice. Any party that cancels within 5 days of the event will require a $25 deposit to reschedule, which will be returned when you party holds. I understand this concept, but this is too much! You can word it in a nicer way and still get the point across.

Important Information"You will want to provide beverages and light snacks" (Moderate wine and alcohol increases sales, excessive consumption hurts sales) I would leave the part out about alcohol. I offer to bring my Quik stir and give 3 recipes for drinks that I can mix in it. 2 are alcoholic and 1 isn't. This way my host can make the choice.
"The party will close the night of your party UNLESS you had booked your party within 10 days. If you booked a "last minute" party, you will have an additional 3 days to close the party. Ok, Ok, I get closing a show the night of, but my personal opinion is that hurts our hosts and stresses them out. I give my host a week unless it is the end of the month and I NEED them to close for me to earn something. Because they are doing me a favor, I will automatically bump them up to the next host level. Otherwise, I just close the following month.
"There needs to be a minimum of 6 guests (couples counts as ONE) at your party.
"I will need to confirm your party and the amount of expected guests within 24-48 hours of the party event. This is very important because if I don't get a confirmation I will assume there was an emergency and the party is cancelled and I will not appear at our scheduled appointment.

Hosting has great rewardsMy average party with 15-20 guests is over $1,000. $1,000 and 5 bookings is your goal. You receive 10% of the sales in credit, bonus shopping dollars hostess exclusives and monthly specials. The higher the sales the more you receive. Bookings made the night of your party will give you an even larger amount in free credit!!

Your thoughts?

There is a consultant that is local to me that is extremely hard and pushy like this. While she does really well I don't think she gets much repeat business. I just had a host where this consultant did her prior party and she was so put off by the consultant that she didn't want to host again. The only reason she hosted for me was because we have become friends AND I told her I was trying to earn Taste of Travel. Needless to say, the host and the guests loved me because I was so laid back. While I do control my business to a point, going over board like the consultant does in this host letter sometimes is just not worth it. I think she could get her point across nicer and in a shorter format.

Here's my take on what I would do. It make need some tweaking, but it's less abrasive:

Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy:
As much as I love doing my parties and having fun please keep in mind The Pampered Chef is my job. If for some reason you need to reschedule your party, please contact me ASAP so we can reschedule.

Important Information:

"You may want to provide beverages" I will be making something to eat for everyone to enjoy and would be happy to provide a recipe or two for beverages we can prepare before guests arrive.

"The party will close 3-7 days after your party." This allows you to time to follow-up on promised outside orders and get your guests their orders in a timely manner. I also work full-time and am not available until after 8PM some evenings. I submit orders online, but finding a time we can talk and finalize everything is dependent on both of our schedules.

"I highly encourage a minimum of 6 guests (couples counts as ONE) at your party". We want everyone to have fun and not feel pressured to purchase. More guests make everyone more comfortable.

Inform your guests:"YOUR PARTY IS NOW OPEN” - which means orders can be made now and up until your party ends. All orders and payment are expected in full when the order is placed. Online orders placed before your show will show full shipping, I have to manually put the discount in after the order is placed. Credit cards are NOT charged until the show closes. Discounts on online orders will be applied before cards are charged.

"All forms of payment are accepted Visa, MC, Disc, AMEX, Cash and checks payable to me."All items will arrive in 7-10 business days, sent either directly to guests or hostess, whichever they prefer.

Hosting has great rewards The success of your show is dependent on sales. The amount of free product, your half-price items, and your discount are directly tied to party sales. For an average party of $470 in sales, the host receives $60 in free products of their choice, two half-price items of their choice, and 20% off the rest of their order. You will also receive 10% off your orders for the next year.

To encourage outside sales, I offer $2.25 shipping (over a 50% savings) for all outside orders that are collected BEFORE your show. (They must be written down and ready for me when I walk in the door.) Outside orders collected after your show will be charged the regular shipping.

Sheila said:
I read "sex toy party" before I even got to the "18 years or older" clause. LOL

So how about it didn't even dawn on me that this could possibly be a sex toy party when I was reading it... the one of "those" didn't even phase me. And I was thinking gee, maybe she works for Willow House or some company where they bring super breakable stuff and that's why she doesn't want kids there. DUH! Sex toys!

Personally, I don't go to those parties when invited... I prefer to purchase any items I may need from the store in the next state. No one needs to know what I have in my "goodie drawer." It's too personal....

As for her host letter... there is no way in H E double hockey sticks I would host a show with this woman after reading it. I would give her the $25.00 to lose my number and never call me again.

I like it, Jane. :thumbup: Only thing I would probably add is in the payments section...saying that orders received AFTER the show would need to be CC, or Cash/Check payable to the Host and then she pays me via CC (I close alot of my shows over the phone).

I like what you said Jane and it is what I was thinking. While I don't tend to go to the sex toy parties either, unless it is a very close friend having one, I would pay her the $25 to not ever contact me again!

I am not a big fan or rules..LOL. I would not have a show after reading all of her rules.

I had a jewelry party one time and was not happy when I was told that I could not serve alcohol..I don't drink very much..hardly ever to be honest with you but I was a bit offended that she was telling me that I could not serve alcohol in MY HOUSE. She told me that it was company policy because it was a Christian Company..OK..but so is PC and you can serve alcohol..heck we will even supply the recipe..LOL.

And quite honestly if something came up and I could not do the party that day. I would not reschedule. I would just cancel. And find someone else when I found a new date to have a party.

1. What is a host packet letter from another DS company?

A host packet letter from another DS (direct sales) company is a marketing tool used by other companies to promote their products or services to potential customers through a host. The letter is typically included in a host packet, which is a collection of materials given to a host to help them plan and host a party or event for the company.

2. How does a host packet letter benefit me as a Pampered Chef consultant?

The host packet letter can benefit you as a Pampered Chef consultant in several ways. First, it can introduce your customers to other products or services that may complement or enhance the ones offered by Pampered Chef. This can lead to increased sales and exposure for your business. Additionally, if your customers are familiar with products from other DS companies, they may be more open to trying Pampered Chef products.

3. Can I customize the host packet letter from another DS company?

In most cases, you will not be able to customize the host packet letter from another DS company. These letters are typically provided by the company and are meant to be used as is. However, you can still add your own personal touch and include a note or message from yourself as the Pampered Chef consultant.

4. Do I have to include the host packet letter from another DS company in my host packets?

No, you are not required to include the host packet letter from another DS company in your host packets. However, it is recommended to include it as it can provide additional value and potential sales for your customers.

5. Can I use the host packet letter from another DS company if I am not a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, you can use the host packet letter from another DS company even if you are not a Pampered Chef consultant. However, it is important to make sure that the products or services promoted in the letter do not compete with or conflict with those offered by Pampered Chef. It is always best to check with your team leader or company policies before including any external materials in your host packets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
nay62
  • KellyRedHead
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
KellyRedHead
  • letmepamperu13
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies