• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Misunderstood How to Use Free Product Value

In summary, the host special, half price items, and discounted items come out of their pocket. The free is simply free. No double dipping.
DessertDivaFL
Gold Member
I have done 30 shows so far and this is the first time my host thought she could apply her free product value to cover the half-price product balance. She expected to get the half-price product for FREE??? :confused: Eventually she understood. She got almost $900 in product for $353. :D

Has this happened to anyone else? If you ask, yes, she was blonde. :p

It's a fairly regular occurrence. It can be cleared up based on how you describe the benefits. I try to mention them in this order:
- monthly host bonus
- half price items
- free product value and discount, usually worded as "Then we add up the other things you want, take the amount of free product you earned off the top, and discount what's left."

I usually put it this way.

"After you use up your FREE product value, then you can purchase x items at 50% off, and after that, everything else you purchase is at X% off if there are still items you want to purchase".

I find that most of my hosts get confused on this.

I actually tell them:
Each benefit is separate. You cannot use the FPV to pay for the half price item(s) or the host special.

I also make sure to explain the % discount is on anything above and beyond all those items.

(I am embarrassed to say that when I hosted before becoming a consultant, when I figured my wishlist, I took the % off the price of the items before applying the FPV!! heehee. :blushing: So I make sure to explain thisas well).

Ann, I like your wording:
- free product value and discount, usually worded as "Then we add up the other things you want, take the amount of free product you earned off the top, and discount what's left."
I have had hosts think they had to come to exactly their FPV.

It's common for me, I get asked every few months if they can do that..usually when I explain that all the "sales" are separate, they get it and it's fine.

kam said:
I have had hosts think they had to come to exactly their FPV.

I think this is because our old host program used points and they HAD to use every point so they did have to figure it out to the exact quarter. Our current host program is so much easier and more generous!

Before I was a consultant, I was one of those hosts!! I didn't pay much attention to the fine print and she didn't explain in dept, so I thought I could use FPV for 1/2 price and host items. Now I explain in dept to all my hosts that they are seperate. It is confusing for most people, but after explanation they understand.

I was the same way. Hadn't really looked to closely at how it was set up. When my consultant (now recruiter and director ;) ) told me, I understood and didn't have a problem with it. But then again, I'm a rule follower. When someone tells me how things go, I tend to accept it and move on. No sense in shooting the messenger, ya know?! :)

I always make sure I am clear about this in host coaching. I tell them that the host special, half price, and discounted items come out of their pocket. The free is simply free. No double dipping. :)

I explain it as several different benefits that cannot be combined. They can use all of them, some of them, or none of them - it's their choice. If they don't use it, they lose it:
1) Monthly Host Special
2) Free Products
3) 50% items
4) 15-30% discount on all else
5) 10% discount for a year
6) Booking benefit at their friend's show

I haven't had a problem with it since I started explaining it that way.

Wow! I really like all your ideas and your stories! This is how we become better consultants - we learn from each other!

Danielle, I have to ask, what is your avatar picture? Everytime I see it, I try to figure it out, but I don't have a clue. I'm sure once you tell me I'll say, oh, of course, but right now I am stumped!

TIA... :)

AnnieBee said:
Danielle, I have to ask, what is your avatar picture? Everytime I see it, I try to figure it out, but I don't have a clue. I'm sure once you tell me I'll say, oh, of course, but right now I am stumped!

I'm curious too. I thought is was bread sticks at first - but I think it's a dried arrangement of some sort - maybe?

My wording is very similar to chefann's. I use it verbally and in written host coaching materials. Most of the time I don't have any trouble. However, there is always that occasional person who figures it incorrectly. I believe that no matter how clearly you explain, there will be some who won't get it.

pamperedlinda said:
I'm curious too. I thought is was bread sticks at first - but I think it's a dried arrangement of some sort - maybe?

I think it's wheat?!

Anyway, hosts always think they can use their free product to cover the half price items. Only once or twice have I had anyone get upset over it.

AnnieBee said:

I wish we could enlarge the avatar pictures so we could take a closer look. :)

OK...OK I will put you all out of your misery! LOL It is a picture of a bread sculpture from the ship on my honeymoon cruise. It was quite large and was only there for decoration. I have more photos like that on my page on this site.

DessertDivaFL said:
OK...OK I will put you all out of your misery! LOL It is a picture of a bread sculpture from the ship on my honeymoon cruise. It was quite large and was only there for decoration. I have more photos like that on my page on this site.

Hey, I was close! I looked at your pictures - nice to see you :) I'm hungry now :chef:

The very first show I did for a friend 2 years ago was very upsetting at closing. I tried to explain to her how it worked and she still didn't believe me. She made me call my director to have her verify it. It was a huge show (1100), but extra stress. Yes she was blonde, but so am I.????

gailz2 said:
..... Yes she was blonde, but so am I.????

What does being a blonde have to do with it? :p

someone mentioned it above.

DessertDivaFL said:

Aha! Thanks, now I'm off to visit your page...

Oh my goodness, now I see what Linda meant about being hungry. I just made a stop at my cookie tin... And I want to go back for more!

It looks like you had a fabulous honeymoon, congratulations!

AnnieBee said:
Oh my goodness, now I see what Linda meant about being hungry. I just made a stop at my cookie tin... And I want to go back for more!

It looks like you had a fabulous honeymoon, congratulations!

Yes we did! Princess Cruise Line was the best and the ship was the Crown Princess. That was quite a splurge but well worth it!

pamperedlinda said:

I mentioned it in my initial post. I was just being silly. :p

pamperedlinda said:

Well, you know, Linda, we could explain it, but, since you're a blond you probably wouldn't understand. LOL!:D

raebates said:
Well, you know, Linda, we could explain it, but, since you're a blond you probably wouldn't understand. LOL!:D

Ohhh!!!!! Where is that smilie that's flippin the bird? Just pretend it's here :p

I'm seein' it, Linda.As a former blond, I love blond jokes. I subscribe to Dolly Parton's theory. She said, "I don't mind dumb blond jokes because I know I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blond."

I have to say this. I have a daughter who is a blond and I tell her constantly that the blonds of the world are going to track her down to beat her up for giving them such a bad name. Example... She was trying on a dress for her first formal (7th grade) and asked how she was going to go to the bathroom b/c she could not unzip and rezip the back of the dress. Yes, I grabed the bottom of the dress and pulled it up over her head and said that's how.

Pam Barrett said:
I have to say this. I have a daughter who is a blond and I tell her constantly that the blonds of the world are going to track her down to beat her up for giving them such a bad name. Example... She was trying on a dress for her first formal (7th grade) and asked how she was going to go to the bathroom b/c she could not unzip and rezip the back of the dress. Yes, I grabed the bottom of the dress and pulled it up over her head and said that's how.
LOL ROTFWL! That is so funny!!!

Pam Barrett said:

OH MY WORD!!!! I am dying laughing!! I want more stories...PLEASE!!!

I think my daughter and your daughter are from the same mold. I love it!!

Here is mine...It was POURING out one day and I told my DD that it was pouring cats and dogs outside and she ran to the window and looked outside. She looked up and down and side to side and then at me and said..."I don't see any cats and dogs".

DOH!!

I don't get it?

Now wait a dog gone minute! I am a blond! A real one! It's mostly grey or gray - heck it's getting old! - but the rest is blond I totally swear! I was being blond!

I make sure I explain this upfront b/c I have had several host think the same thing, blonde or not. HA!

I have to confess, I was that hostess as well...I guess it's just me trying to save every penny that I can...but know I TOTALLY understand how truly wonderful the hostess specials really are. It especially helps my hosts to see how much her products would have cost had she paid full price vs. with all of the host specials & discounts!

H2: What is the most common misunderstanding hosts have about using their free product value?

The most common misunderstanding that hosts have about using their free product value is that they can apply it to cover the balance of their half-price product. This is not the case, as the free product value is meant to be used towards full-priced items only.

H2: How many shows have you done and is this the first time a host has misunderstood how to use their free product value?

I have done 30 shows so far and this is the first time a host has misunderstood how to use their free product value. This misunderstanding is not uncommon and can happen to both new and experienced hosts.

H2: Did the host expect to get the half-price product for free?

Yes, the host in this situation did expect to get the half-price product for free. However, as mentioned before, the free product value cannot be applied towards half-price items.

H2: Did the host eventually understand how to use their free product value?

Yes, the host eventually understood how to use their free product value after it was explained to her. She was able to use her free product value towards full-priced items and ended up getting almost $900 worth of product for only $353.

H2: Has this misunderstanding happened to anyone else before?

Yes, this misunderstanding has happened to other hosts before. As mentioned previously, it is a common misunderstanding and can happen to both new and experienced hosts. It is important for hosts to read and understand the terms and conditions of their free product value in order to avoid confusion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
SherryLynn
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • Pampered Laura
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies