• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Accommodate My Host's Preference for Non-Stoneware Products?

In summary, my sister is really excited that I'm doing PC and she immediately volunteered to do a show for me in my first 30 days. However, she is unhappy with the stoneware because soap does not sanitize it. She has severe OCD and just can't deal with it. She loves the product but just can't handle that she can't wash it.
lluvs2laugh
My sister is really excited that I'm doing PC and she immediately volunteered to do a show for me in my first 30 days. In all of the excitement we didn't discuss the host special. Well, it turns out she doesn't like the stoneware because you can't sanitize it. She has severe OCD and just can't deal with it. She loves the product but just can't handle that she can't wash it.

Is there anything I can do for her? Her show was over $400, which is my best so far, so I would like to reward her in some way.

Thanks

Hot water sanitizes. That's all she needs to do.Soap does not sanitize.

In her mind it's the opposite, soap=clean/sanitize. It's very hard to reason with someone who suffers from OCD.

Did she get any bookings from her show? You could pay for the host special on that month for her if she did - OR maybe ask her what she really wanted and use your PC dollars you are earning to get it for her - (within reason of course) Like say she wanted the trifle bowl, use your PC dollars or KE to get it for her -

Does she have a steam cleaner? She could steam clean it and it would be sanitized without soap.

I think if she takes a step back and looks at all the other things she gets for hosting, the host special becomes less important in a way. Yes, it's a perk, but she also gets free product, discounted product, free shipping, 10% off for a year, and half-price items if she reaches certain levels. Maybe you can offer her a discount on something from her wishlist, just as a thank you. If she'll let you, you can use her 60% off on a piece of stoneware to help you with your business...and give her a gift in return of some sort. I know others who don't like the stoneware, too, but that's never stopped them from ordering and enjoying host benefits! :)

She is eligible for the Charter Host Gift......

Just off set it. You buy a stone you might have been wanting and give her free money to get whatever the price is.

You can enter the amount of your "gift" to her as a Consultant's gift, or click on Cash
as the way you pay the difference for her choice, if you decide to reward her in your own way.

I know for a fact that our little brown scrapers clean off just about anything that might stick to our stoneware, if it is allowed to soak in hot water. If it pleases her to add a shot of detergent. That is her choice. Just warn her that she should not leave it soaking for more than a few minutes because the soap flavor could be absorbed. I wonder if her adding detergent to the hot water would cancel her warranty if she complained about it making things taste soapy. Has anyone ever asked Home Office
about that?

I have added detergent at times, and have not noticed any difference in the next
thing I prepared on my stoneware. I'm one of those nuts who does not view it as a badge of honor to have dark stoneware.

She doesn't have to take the host special and I really don't think you should do anything out of pocket for her (just think of her as another host - you don't want to give your business away). I have people all the time who book shows and don't take the host special.

sklay723 said:
I think if she takes a step back and looks at all the other things she gets for hosting, the host special becomes less important in a way. Yes, it's a perk, but she also gets free product, discounted product, free shipping, 10% off for a year, and half-price items if she reaches certain levels. Maybe you can offer her a discount on something from her wishlist, just as a thank you. If she'll let you, you can use her 60% off on a piece of stoneware to help you with your business...and give her a gift in return of some sort. I know others who don't like the stoneware, too, but that's never stopped them from ordering and enjoying host benefits! :)

I agree. Not all hosts like or are interested in what is offered as a host gift that month. I know I had several hosts not get SA when that was the special. I'd go crazy if I tried to figure out ways to get them what they wanted at 60% off...so Feb. will be great! ;) But at least you get her a Charter Host gift and you can give her a SB as an extra thank you. If she is really annoyed that it isn't something she wants, then rather than upset a host who did a great job, I would probably try to come up with a way to get her something extra like others mentioned. THat was so great that she helped you out right away like that, I see why you want to reward her. But remember she does get rewards. :) Or maybe she can get a stone and give to someone as a gift.

I agree with Amanda. The 60% off stoneware isn't the only thing she gets for hosting. I've had several hosts who haven't taken the 60% off item. Also, when are your 30 days up? If you really feel like you need to do something, you could see if she could have the party in December and then she could get the triffle bowl instead.

lluvs2laugh said:
In her mind it's the opposite, soap=clean/sanitize. It's very hard to reason with someone who suffers from OCD.

I'm sure her mind is set, and since it is your sister I think you should either give her something you have that you don't need or want anymore as a freebie or find something that maybe she really likes and give her that. And you can get a piece of stoneware for 60% off. Spend the same as you would have with the special.

Debbie :D

If she'd like to use the host special you could encourage her to give it as a nice gift to someone for Christmas. I'm sure anyone would love to get a nice piece of PC Stoneware :)

hey, I have OCD and I'm not hard to reason with

Tell her to use a Baking Soda paste to clean her stone with....

Got this from my Director and thought it could help everyone with the stoneware "problems" with various customers! It's long but worth the read!

STONEWARE 101

November is “STONEWARE MONTH!!” It is a great idea to ‘brush up’ on your stoneware knowledge so you can answer any questions and inspire your guests to try our most popular product!!

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS…

Q: Just what are baking stones?
A: Our stoneware is made from natural clay products and is hand-finished. Because they are made from a natural product, there may be subtle variances in color and texture that will not affect baking performance. Each piece is unique.

Q: I keep hearing about seasoning but I really don't understand it. Help!
A: With use, seasoning will naturally occur in Stoneware. Fats and oils are absorbed onto the surface of the stone. The seasoning forms a nonstick coating, making greasing almost obsolete.

Q: My Baking Stone is sticky. Why?
A: If a stone is over-oiled during the seasoning process, a sticky buildup can occur. This buildup can also cause food to stick to the stone. If this occurs, coat stone surface with a baking soda and water paste, let it sit for approximately 30 minutes and clean as usual.

Q: What is the correct seasoning process?
A: To start the seasoning process, simply use vegetable oil spray (our Kitchen Spritzer works best) for the first one or two uses. Baking high fat content foods also helps with the natural seasoning process.

Q: Why are there indentations on the bottoms of some stones?
A: The "indentations" were added to allow air circulation around the stone. This improves baking results.

Q: Why are baking stones better than glass or aluminum?
A: Aluminum simply cannot absorb the heat from the oven and hold it evenly. Aluminum and glass do not stop at the temperature of the oven as stoneware does. Aluminum, actually a good conductor of heat, continues to rise in temperature. In an oven, heat is not directly applied to the aluminum, as on a stovetop, and therefore does not hold and maintain temperature. This is why under-baking and over-baking may occur.

Q: Can I use aluminum foil to cover the top of the 9" Square Baker, 9x13" Baker, Deep Dish Baker, etc.?
A: Aluminum foil can be used to cover the top surface of foods, such as pizza, or placed over the top of the 9x13" Baker, etc., to act as a cover. However, foil should not cover the baking surface of the stoneware because it will block the beneficial effects of the stoneware. Remember, you can cover the top of foods with foil or use it as a cover, but you do not want direct contact with the baking surface and aluminum foil.

Q: Is it possible for stoneware to become saturated and not absorb any more fat or oil from foods onto its surface? Would this affect the baking quality if the stoneware were saturated?
A: The stoneware will gradually absorb fats and oils on its surface to from a nonstick coating. The seasoning on the stoneware will not affect the baking quality. Moisture will still pass through a very seasoned stone and heat will continue to be distributed evenly.

Q: How can stones be porous but not absorb food particles?
A: The "pores" of our baking stones microscopic. A water molecule is so small that only it can be absorbed through the stone. Therefore, no food particles or bacteria can be absorbed into the stone.

Q: Can the stones be used on a grill?
A: You may use the stoneware on a charcoal grill ONLY IF the proper method of cooking is used which is indirect heating. Stones cannot be used on gas grills because the flames cannot be controlled.

Q: What about a broiler?
A: A stone should not be used under a broiler or on top of a direct heat source. For this reason, we do not recommend cooking with the Stoneware in an oven above 500 degrees because the broiler element will be turned on at or above 500 degrees.

Q: Can my stone be stored in the oven?
A: Yes, your stone can be stored in the oven...however, it is not recommended to leave the stored stone in the oven while baking other foods as it could cause thermal shock.

Q: Should I preheat Stones before use?
A: It is not necessary to preheat Pampered Chef's Stoneware. However, you should preheat your oven. Bake foods on the Baking Stones at the same temperatures and time-lengths you would normally use.

Q: Why does dish soap leave a flavor but garlic and fish don't?
A: Soap or detergent works to actually form a bond with fats and oils. On our stoneware, fats and oils are part of the seasoning of the stone, so when you try to rinse the soap away, it has actually bonded to the surface seasoning making it difficult to remove. A soap taste may then exist during your next usage. When you bake food with strong odors and flavors, there is nothing in the food that binds to the stone or seasoning. Garlic, fish, onion, etc., are natural food products and do not adhere to the stone. That's why you can bake fish one night and cookies the next without having a "fishy" cookie taste.

Q: If I'm not using soap to clean my stone, then how can it be clean?
A: Soap does not kill bacteria. Soap (and detergent) when combined with water molecules penetrates the pores of food residue to soften it. This softening of food residue just makes it easier for the residue to be removed. Hot water alone makes oil and other food substances more fluid and therefore easier to dislodge, especially when used in combination with the nylon pan scraper. This rubbing action will effectively remove food residue.

Q: Can stoneware be used in a convection oven?
A: Definitely. A convection oven is an oven with a built-in fan that forces superheated air throughout the oven for a quicker, more even browning and baking. Since the oven temperature is uniform and controlled throughout, convection ovens do require cooking temperatures to be lower. You can use your favorite Pampered Chef recipe with a convection oven, but for best results, follow baking time and temperature guidelines that are provided with the oven.

Q: Can I place another pan directly on top of the stoneware to bake?
A: No. This will create thermal shock and break the stone.

Q: Can you bake with two stones in the oven at the same time?
A: Yes and no. Two stones can be baked on at the same time if they are on the same rack. "Stacking" or placing stones on separate racks, one over the other, is not an efficient way to use the stones. The stone on the bottom actually absorbs most of the heat from the element and the upper stone does not heat properly.

Q: Can stones be used in the microwave?
A: Yes, food can be baked or reheated in the microwave. Stones actually work best with dry heat, as in a conventional oven, so the results will not be the same in a microwave.

This is the info about bacteria and stoneware!

Removing Bacteria from Stoneware

by C.L. Hunziker, former Clinical Microbiologist and Pampered Chef consultant (Shared on director loop 01/2005)
As a former Clinical Microbiologist, I have researched this very completely. Here are the facts as I know them from my research.

· Soap does NOT sanitize your dishes. It is simply a releasing agent that allows you to remove food particles from your dishes easier. Friction actually does more for removing the bacteria than soap does. This is accomplished by rubbing with a dish cloth or other cleaning tool over your dishes.

· Hot, clear water is the releasing agent for stoneware. It releases all of the food particles and extra grease from the surface of the stone. Your pan scraper or nylon brush provides the necessary friction.

· Bacteria needs a warm moist environment to thrive and grow. This is why it is important to do your dishes as soon as possible to discourage the growth of airborne bacteria on your dishes.

· You will not have bacteria on your stones or your dishes if you cook your food thoroughly. Cooked food does not contain bacteria! However, it will grow bacteria if left out too long after cooking it or by not properly storing it in the refrigerator after you finish your meals.

· All bacteria known to man are killed at 180 degrees.

· Because the stones are porous, the moisture does not stay in them; it dries up quickly. If you want to rapidly dry your baking stones, put them in a 200 degree oven for 10 minutes.

· The seasoning on the baking stones (non-stick surface) is caused by the build-up of small amounts of residual oil from your foods. The dark color of your stones is caused because your stones are made of vitrified clay and the repeated heating and cooling of the stones will darken them.

· Our stones have been tested and approved for safe food handling and are acceptable for use in commercial kitchens using the cleaning procedure.

Thanks! I'll have to print that out for anyone who is interested! :)

1. Why does my host not like stoneware?

Some people may have a preference for using metal or glass cookware instead of stoneware. It could also be a personal preference or they may have had a negative experience with stoneware in the past.

2. Can I still use stoneware if my host doesn't like it?

Absolutely! Our stoneware is designed to withstand high temperatures and provide even heat distribution for cooking. It's also versatile and can be used for a variety of dishes. Your host's preference should not affect your ability to use stoneware.

3. What are the benefits of using stoneware?

Stoneware is a great choice for cooking and baking because it retains heat well, resulting in evenly cooked food. It also does not react with acidic or alkaline foods, making it a safe choice for all types of recipes. Plus, our stoneware is durable and can last for years with proper care.

4. How can I convince my host to try stoneware?

You can share the benefits of using stoneware and explain how it can enhance their cooking experience. You can also offer to demonstrate a recipe using stoneware during the party or offer to lend them a stoneware piece to try out at home. Sometimes, trying it firsthand is the best way to convince someone.

5. Are there any tips for using stoneware?

Yes, to ensure the best results, it's important to properly season your stoneware before first use. You should also avoid sudden temperature changes, such as placing a hot stoneware dish in cold water, as it can cause the stoneware to crack. Additionally, using a nylon scraper or non-metal utensils will help prevent scratches on the stoneware surface.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • pcsharon1