• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Coaching: Asking About Food Allergies

ask!Being a parent of kids with mild--severe peanut allergy's---I always ask when my boys are going somewhere----NOT to have it out----at all---I did ask before my sprinkles went around---about allergies---and only passed the cinnamon---not caramel---I have made the brownies with cashews--and also without it was gr8I don't ask my host. Then again, I don't offer recipes with nuts, I personally cannot stand nuts in food. When I offer the chocolate chip sensation I give them other choices for toppings and have found alot of my hosts don't want to do nuts either.For future reference, the warm nutty caramel
lkprescott
Silver Member
Does anyone check with hosts during host coaching as to whether or not host or any guests have allergies to any foods?

I didn't use to but after a show where someone almost freaked out at nuts (I had no advanced warning) I was preparing for the warm nutty carmel brownies. I felt bad and offered to keep them out but would have really benefited at knowing ahead of time and adjusting things then.

So I wondered if other folks were in the habit of asking about allergies or do you just spin on a dime if it happens at show that you whip out an ingredient that someone's allergic to?

I try to remember to ask the host. But unless it's a really close friend or family member, the host won't necessarily know.

I always ask the hostess if she knows if anyone coming would be allergic to nuts. And then I ask before I put the nuts on a dish one more time--if there is someone I make a separate one for them without the nuts. I have a nephew allergic to nuts, it's just something I normally do.

being a parent of kids with mild--severe peanut allergy's---
I always ask when my boys are going somewhere----NOT to have it out----at all---
I did ask before my sprinkles went around---about allergies---and only passed the cinnamon---not caramel---I have made the brownies with cashews--and also without it was gr8

Last edited:
I don't ask my host. Then again, I don't offer recipes with nuts, I personally cannot stand nuts in food. When I offer the chocolate chip sensation I give them other choices for toppings and have found alot of my hosts don't want to do nuts either.

For future reference, the warm nutty caramel brownies are really good with pretzels.

you can substitute pretzels for the nuts. just so you know in advance

I don't ask. I always figure that if someone has a problem, they will let me know know about it ahead of time.

PCJenni said:
I don't ask. I always figure that if someone has a problem, they will let me know know about it ahead of time.
I am right there with you. Too many other things for me to keep track of, I figure they will tell me!

My son has a severe peanut allergy, so I guess I'm more aware of it. But when we discuss recipes....at that part of the call I ask about allergies.

I ask the host (even have it on my host coaching sheet). But like Ann said, she may not know if some of the guest have allergies.

Of course, you could use this as a lead in to asking for a booking... "Since you weren't able to have some of the _________ (recipe) we prepared tonight, we'll just have to do a show for you and make sure none of the pesky ________ (ingredient guest is allergic to) is anywhere near it! We have a great recipe for ______________ with no ________ in it. How does that sound?"

Keep in mind, we're not caterers, :chef: these are demo samples. I don't ask about food allergies--when the recipe is being discussed, the Host can alert me then.

BTW...I've found it helpful to have the nutritional info available at the show on any recipe prepared.

FWIW, I have several food allergies :yuck: and restrictions on the Renal (dialysis) diet myself.

CookingwithMary said:
Keep in mind, we're not caterers, :chef: these are demo samples.
That's why I don't actually worry about it too much. It's not like we're making people their dinner and they'll starve if they don't eat it. They still get to see how to use the tools, and ideas for recipes that they will be able to eat.

Remember- we're selling the tools, not the recipe. (Well, unless it's in a cookbook. Then we'll sell them the book, too.)

Nanisu said:
I always ask the hostess if she knows if anyone coming would be allergic to nuts. And then I ask before I put the nuts on a dish one more time--if there is someone I make a separate one for them without the nuts. I have a nephew allergic to nuts, it's just something I normally do.

IMPORTANAT quick note about this. My brother goes into anaphylactic shock with peanuts. BUT it's just not the nut itself! You can touch a peanut with a spoon or something and then touch say the batter with the same spoon. He can also die from that! I understand that a lot of people see as it more work and a hassle to ask but IF there is somebody there that has an allergy like this it CAN ultimately cost them their life if you are not EXTREMLY careful about what the peanuts touch or what touches the peanuts! So even if you don't put the peanuts in the recipe there are still ways for the peanut oil to get on other things.

With the brownies, I will ask the guests as I'm getting them out. "No one has a problem with nuts do you?" It might be a little late at that point, but I could keep it out if necessary. I would think most guests with severe allergies would let you know but it does worry me when people bring their kids who are more apt to be allergic.

When discussing recipes I will also say "this has nuts sprinkled on" but assume they can do the leap of logic - "nuts, oh yeah, Sally has allergies and we need to remove that."

More relavant for me is the meat issue. In certain circles there are sometimes several vegaterians that I try to keep meat off one side of the dish.

What is host coaching and why is it important?

Host coaching is the act of helping the host of a Pampered Chef party plan and prepare for their event. It is important because it ensures that the party runs smoothly and the host is able to achieve their desired goal, whether it be earning free products or hosting a successful event for their guests.

Why is it important to ask about food allergies when host coaching?

Asking about food allergies is crucial because it helps us ensure the safety and well-being of all party guests. By being aware of any allergies, we can make accommodations and provide alternative options for guests who may have dietary restrictions.

What is the best way to ask a host about food allergies?

The best way to ask a host about food allergies is to simply be direct and straightforward. You can ask something like, "Are there any food allergies or dietary restrictions that we should be aware of for your party guests?" This shows that you care about the well-being of their guests and are willing to make accommodations.

What should I do if a guest has a food allergy?

If a guest has a food allergy, it is important to take it seriously and make sure they are accommodated. You can offer alternative options for them or modify recipes to fit their dietary needs. It may also be helpful to have a list of ingredients for each dish available for guests to reference.

What can I do to make sure all guests are comfortable and accommodated?

To ensure all guests are comfortable and accommodated, it is important to communicate with the host and guests before the party. Ask the host to inform their guests to let you know about any food allergies or dietary restrictions. You can also offer a variety of dishes and recipes to cater to different needs. Lastly, make sure to have ingredients and allergen information readily available for guests to reference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
letmepamperu13
  • varga11
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
gratergirl
  • jj16