• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Considering Homeschooling? Tips and Insights from a Working Homeschool Mom

In summary, the conversation revolved around the decision to homeschool, with various individuals sharing their experiences and offering support and advice. Some mentioned using online curriculum or switching to different programs, while others discussed the challenges and benefits of homeschooling. The conversation also touched on the importance of organization and finding a balance between homeschooling and other responsibilities. Some individuals shared their personal backgrounds and reasons for choosing to homeschool. Overall, the conversation showed a strong sense of community and support within the homeschooling community.
lesliec
My oldest just started Kindergarten this year (the local public school) and we are quickly realizing that it isn't the right fit for him. We feel like we are being called to homeschool, and have decided to bring him home at the Christmas break.
I was wondering if there are any other homeschool moms out there? I know it will be tough, but we really need my PC income, and I really feel like I get a lot personally from having this business. I am really going to have to get organized!!!!!! I still have goals to be a director, but may have to take a few steps back from my business.

i just started homeschooling my pre-schooler this year. We use Time 4 Learning online curriculum for him and really like the way he can choose the activities and go at his own pace.

We started home schooling in March of 2008. My kids were in 8th & 9th grades at the time. My daughter, the oldest of the two (we have an older son who's in college), plans to graduate this year which will be a year early.We are currently using Switched on Schoolhouse but use Teaching Textbooks for math. I'll probably switch our youngest to Abeka Video School next year since he seems to do better with visual learning.I began PC in August because it would allow me to work my own schedule and be home with my kids during the day.I look forward to "meeting" more home schooling cheffers.

I'm not a mom or, obviously, a home-schooler, but I did just finish a masters in education. I just want to throw in my two cents to support you!My sister home-schooled my nephew for a while because the new school after they moved just didn't meet his needs at all. I was really opposed at first (you know, I'm her big sister, and a know-it-all). But she was RIGHT! it was a great decision.And there is so much support out there in the homeschooling community. Yes, you will have to be organized, but you will probably have plenty of others you can tap for advice and learn from their experience. You'll be great at being an educator, a mom, and still a PC consultant, too!Sami and her husband only homeschooled Jim for a short time (8-10 years old) and he just finished his BA at barely 21. Especially surprising since he didn't start kindergarten until he was 6. He is a very bright boy, and the individual attention at that point helped him blossom, and gave him the strength and confidence he needed to be his own man.

My kids are 2, 3, and 5 (all boys) and we are planning to use Sonlight curriculum. I love that it allows you to easily use the same curriculum for children of similar ages and then grear the tasks to their own needs.

I am excited about it, especially with knowing that it is what is best for our family, but the whole idea scares me a bit. My oldest is a bit high strung and he will definitely need lots of outside running time. We have started preparing him for it, but haven't completly broken it to him yet. He loves school, but he really misses being at home. We are working on having enough activities throughout the week to keep him busy/occupied/socialized (whatever you want to call it) so that he doesn't miss going to school.

Thanks Marghi. I was a teacher before staying home, and come from two educator parents. They aren't too excited or supportive, but I had to remind my mom that up until 100 years ago, most people didn't go to school. There either wasn't one close or they couldn't afford to leave the family farm. They were educated in different ways. Many couldn't read or write, but they were still very educated. I am fully qualified, but that doesn't mean that it isn't scary. It takes a whole different kind of discipline to do it in the comfort of your own home with your own children.

I understand why many are against it. We have been on both sides of the fence. DH was homeschooled, but we are not homeschooling for the same reasons that he was homeschooled. DH very much fits the mold of the sheltered homeschooled child. They were actually kind of crazy.

Our children are adopted and have their own slew of issues that we are still dealing with. One of the big things I don't like about the oldest being in school is that he is bringing home so much negativity towards his brothers and I really think that it is hurting their sibbling bond. I understand that they need their individuality, but all they have ever had is each other. They will always be closer to each other than they are to DH and I. We really want to foster their love for each other and their ability to work together and not see them tear each other down (which is what is coming home from school).

My cousin was homeschooling her daughter for a while. I think she's in regular school now.

There are a LOT of homeschoolers on crosswalk.com if you're looking for support.

My cousin has an adopted daughter and for now she's in regular ESL school, but in the future when she leaves the military I can see her opting for this for the same reasons you mentioned. She has a learning disability, however, and while she might need 1 on 1, I'm not sure my cousin feels up to the task. She hasn't mentioned it, but I wouldn't be surprised if she considers it in the future.

We have homeschooled for 10 years. Homeschoolers come in every shape, form and fashion. People like to think that that all homeschoolers are awkward and undersocialized. That is usually far from the truth.
Homeschooling and PC is very doable- just make your schedule and stick to it. No Pc during school hours works for us. I have set business hours.

Good luck- I think you're going to love it!

Lori

Thanks for all of your support. Lori and Kristina, It is great to see that it can be done!!! I don't want to let PC go. I may be coming to you ladies in my CHAOS times when I need a little pick me up!!!!

There is a training download - I think it's called "Finding Recruits At Every Show" or something like that where one of the presenters is an Advanced Director, and homeschools her 3 boys....it's a great listen, and she talks some about how she organizes her time.

I can't remember her name right now - but the other presenter is Becca Wonderlich, and it's from the last Leadership Conference. (2009 I believe)

lesliec said:
Thanks for all of your support. Lori and Kristina, It is great to see that it can be done!!! I don't want to let PC go. I may be coming to you ladies in my CHAOS times when I need a little pick me up!!!!

We're here when you need us ! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
There is a training download - I think it's called "Finding Recruits At Every Show" or something like that where one of the presenters is an Advanced Director, and homeschools her 3 boys....it's a great listen, and she talks some about how she organizes her time.

I can't remember her name right now - but the other presenter is Becca Wonderlich, and it's from the last Leadership Conference. (2009 I believe)

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out!!!!

We homeschool. :) I'm a brand new PC consultant, so I'm still finding my groove and figuring out how to get everything done. I have no doubt that we'll figure it out.

There are a few reasons that we chose to hs our two youngest. Our oldest graduated from one of the public high schools in town and when I began doing some digging into how the school ranks, it wasn't good. That combined with the fact that, although he did okay int that school, he begged us not to send his siblings there, was a determining factor for us. We live in Mississippi which is not noted for having the best pubic school system to begin with, but the school where he graduated was ranked 49 on a scale of 1 to 100! The other public high school in town is ranked at 20!!! There is NO way that I'd send either of my two to either of these schools now that I know this!!

We were faced with a choice: home school or move and we didn't feel that we should move at this stage, so I home school. I've taught school for years when they were younger and my mother was a teacher also, so I don't feel completely unqualified. We're a part of a wonderful home school organization and I'm so thankful for this.

It's so nice to see others who are doing the same and enjoying the flexible benefits of PC!

I am also, a Texas Homeschooler mother, I have 3 children, (11, 8,7)...I have been with PC for just a little 17 months. This is our first year to homeschool. Although it is difficult from time to time, I love it, I am so glad that I don't have to spend the few hours in evening that I have my kids (if they were in public school) trying to reprogram the negative and learning weeks later, of what positive things they have accomplished.

The best advice I can share with you is to take it one moment at time, and adapt it to fit your children. One thing that I am starting tomorrow, is trading out days, I will keep a friends children (who also homeschools) for a couple hours while she works, and she will keep mine on another day, while I do some Pampered Chef work. This gives me time to get organized, make some uninterupted phone calls, and whatever else I need to do with out my 3 children being in tote and miserable.

Best of luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

I hs our two older boys (11 and 7). They love it and they are thriving. We are active in our church and community. My 7yo is in Tae Kwon Do. They are definitely not sheltered.7yo has a metabolic disorder and at this time hs just seems to fit his needs better.We are using a variety of different materials including Hooked on Phonics, Saxon Math, and First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind. We also check out lots of books and the library and get work sheets off of the internet.It's a lot of work for me, but I feel like it's worth it. I love the flexibility of our schedule.

Oh, and I am in Texas too. Texas is a great state for homeschooling.

What is "Homeschooling Cheffers?"

"Homeschooling Cheffers" is a program offered by Pampered Chef that provides resources and support for homeschooling families who are looking to incorporate cooking and meal preparation into their curriculum.

Do I need to have a lot of cooking experience to participate in "Homeschooling Cheffers?"

No, you do not need to have a lot of cooking experience to participate. Our program is designed for all levels of cooking abilities and our recipes are easy to follow for both adults and children.

What types of recipes are included in "Homeschooling Cheffers?"

Our program offers a variety of recipes that are both fun and educational for children. We cover a range of cuisines and dietary restrictions, and also provide tips for incorporating math, science, and cultural lessons into the cooking process.

Are there any additional materials or equipment needed for "Homeschooling Cheffers?"

There are no additional materials or equipment needed. Our recipes are designed to use basic kitchen tools and ingredients that are commonly found in most households.

Is there a cost to join "Homeschooling Cheffers?"

There is no cost to join our program. It is completely free for Pampered Chef consultants and their customers to participate in "Homeschooling Cheffers."

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kristina16marie
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
micocina
Replies
Views