• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Successful Homeschooling with a PC Business | Tips from a Mom of 5

In summary, Jessica homeschools 2 boys in 2nd grade. She follows the state's guidelines and they are doing well.
elijahstrust
I have 5 children, one who will graduate high school next year. My other four are 2 sets of identical twins. This upcoming school year I have decided to start homeschooling at least one if not 2 of the 4 (and then eventually probably all 4). I didn't notice any groups set up for those who homeschool so I wanted to ask is there anyone here who homeschools and is successful with their PC business? If so, how do you make it all work?

Thanks,

I'm a teacher. I ask, why the decision to homeschool?

I homeschool two boys going into 2nd grade (a 5 1/2 yr old and an 8 yr old). I consider myself a new consultant still- as I'm now getting my live cooking shows on the calendar. During the school year right after I signed up, I did mostly catalog and individual orders, plus a few booths.But the key for me is a "schedule" for my school. I use that term lightly, meaning we just get it done in the morning. :D I don't fire up my computer until I'm done -otherwise I get distracted and sucked in. :) I find it easier for all of us- they can't watch TV, play video games, or go outside until we are done and I can't get on my computer. I then use the afternoon/evenings to do what I need. Occasionally, if I have a quick call to make in the morning, I do, but 5-10 minutes isn't bad for us. They need breaks now and then too. At this point (1st-2nd grade), we only need about 2 hrs for school. I will also say, that I'm learning to love Sue Patrick's Workbox system for my school - especially as my kids are becoming more independent in their work. It works with any curriculum you choose. So that might be something to look into if schooling several children at the same time.Beyond that, I don't know your circumstances with your day and if the kids will entertain themselves or not. I think the key is having both your Business system organized so you can make the most of the time you have (and with 5 kids, you probably already do that anyway!), and same for school- having it set up so you can just walk in and pick up with the day's work without alot of shuffling of papers. Schedule regular "teacher workdays" to keep it all where you need it. Good luck!

esavvymom said:
I homeschool two boys going into 2nd grade (a 5 1/2 yr old and an 8 yr old). But the key for me is a "schedule" for my school. I use that term lightly, meaning we just get it done in the morning. :D I don't fire up my computer until I'm done -otherwise I get distracted and sucked in. :) I find it easier for all of us- they can't watch TV, play video games, or go outside until we are done and I can't get on my computer. I then use the afternoon/evenings to do what I need. Occasionally, if I have a quick call to make in the morning, I do, but 5-10 minutes isn't bad for us. They need breaks now and then too. At this point (1st-2nd grade), we only need about 2 hrs for school.

I know I'm gonna start a huge spark, but WHAT????? How do you have a 5 1/2 yr old and 8 yr old both going into 2nd grade? I'm confused. And 2 hours for school???? How is that teaching them anything! What about when they have to have a job or go to college?? Sorry, I'm a teacher and this deeply disturbs me!!! Sorry again, but I DO NOT BELIEVE in homeschooling!!!! I know I'll get tons of remarks and but had to say something.

Jessica:
Your comments are truly offensive and you have no idea what my day/education of my kids entails. I follow everything outlined by my state, and my kids take their state required tests- and are doing just fine.But to satisfy and perhaps enlighten, not that I owe any explanation to anyone, but that 2 hrs, is just the 'sit-down' time doing our handwriting, math, spelling, phonics, etc. They spend lots of other time doing puzzles, games (math/clocks/science/maps, etc), exploring in our backyard- and I do mean that- they are boys- so bugs, butterflies, how the water flows from one direction to another, watching ants, etc; or maybe going on a field trip. As far as their age and grade level....my oldest was not ready for Kindergarten at the standard age of 5. We decided to hold off a year before starting him. He was almost 6 1/2 when he started Kindergarten. In my state, I could have held him until he was 7.
My youngest was about to turn 4, and wanted to do some things too, so I let him! He did great! He obviously WAS ready, so I've let him do the work along side of his brother. He is now 5 1/2 and can read at a 1st grade level (we are finishing up our 1st grade work). My oldest tested at the end of 1st grade level- where he should be. In some areas, he was 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th grade levels! My youngest doesn't have to be tested until next year, but knowing what he does in his daily work- I'm sure he'll be just fine.I know my kids better than anyone. Everyone HOMESCHOOLS their children from the day they are born- you teach them to eat, to walk, to talk. You don't put them in a room of other babies and expect them to learn that, do you? No.
I can spend the one-on-one time needed to help them with their math facts, or their phonics, or do a fun project to reinforce something we're studying in science that week, or just help them in an area they are struggling with. Don't most teachers just WISH they could help students that way? I watch my sisters spend 2-3 hrs a night with their kids just helping them do their homework? HOw is that any different than what I am doing every day with my kids? Only I don't have to make them sit in a chair for 6 hrs. We get a little more involved/hands-on with our study.
NExt year, we are starting more history studies and I'm already starting to plan for that- various field trips that we have at our fingertips in my area that will tie in greatly. I see how my kids can absorb SO much information just by having more hands-on activities and such. As far as college and jobs? Well, educate yourself a little bit before assuming homeschoolers all turn out dumb and jobless...because it's usually quite the opposite. Homeschoolers usually test VERy well, and have no problems getting into accredited colleges and getting a job - no more trouble than any student from the public system I assure you! I for one, graduated from jr/sr high as a homeschooler- got into a great school with high ACT marks, and graduated with a 3.2 GPA. I spent almost 15 yrs in the Telecom industry (by the way- that wasn't my field of study in college- I just learned it!) and did very well. I left by choice to then raise my family.I realize, you have your ways, and I have mine and you'll never agree. But don't presume to know that what I'm doing or what I say in a short paragraph gives you the full picture of my kids. This thread was started by someone looking for advice from others who know what's it's like running a part-time business while schooling her children at home, not asking for opinions on whether she SHOULD homeschool.

You are right. WE WILL NEVER AGREE! Have a wonderful day.

That's the great thing about homeschooling- it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

I have hs'ed for6 years. Ds in going into 6th technically but is doing anywhere from 5th- 9th grade work. That's the beauty of it. You work ahead wear they are ready, and hold back where they need it.

I also have a Dd who is going into 3rd.

I wouldn't never change a day.

As for you being disturbed, I would suggest you look at what homeschool is really about. Work can easily get done in the morning, we can go straight to our work and we don't deal with all the time consuming processes that an average classroom needs. Maybe you could even research recent statistics ;)

I can share more later but I have an OOT show.

Lori

loreo said:
That's the great thing about homeschooling- it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

I have hs'ed for6 years. Ds in going into 6th technically but is doing anywhere from 5th- 9th grade work. That's the beauty of it. You work ahead wear they are ready, and hold back where they need it.

I also have a Dd who is going into 3rd.

I wouldn't never change a day.

As for you being disturbed, I would suggest you look at what homeschool is really about. Work can easily get done in the morning, we can go straight to our work and we don't deal with all the time consuming processes that an average classroom needs. Maybe you could even research recent statistics ;)

I can share more later but I have an OOT show.

Lori

?? I'm with Jessica.

I've been a homeschooling mom of a developmentally disabled child for 9yrs and a consultant for 1+. It can be done by balancing and being diligent in both lives. YOU can do it.

I love homeschooling, my husband and I prayed long and hard before we took on the challange. It was the right decision for us.

I do think maybe that alot of people have very mixed feeling about a persons ability to homeschool. I know of several families I would be very concerned about if they took on the challange.

I agree with Bobbi, people need to look at the statistics of homeschoolers in collages. It is incredible before they judge our choices.

Please lets all just agree to disagree about this.

Belle4562 said:
?? I'm with Jessica.

Typo there. I wouldn't change a thing.

I find the offenses (disturbances) interesting. I come from a teaching family ( mother, sister are teachers; step dad superintendent of schools) and they all support our choice and said if they had kids now they would be doing the same thing. Most teachers I have run in to are in agreement with our decision. Homeschooling is not a decision that is made to see who we can offend, it's one made that comes through much prayer and guidance.

Jessica, and any one else who is interested!!

I don't home school, and have myself considered going into teaching once my kids are all school age. However, I live in an area with excellent schools. I do know of people who successfully are and have homeschooled their very successful kids for a variety of reasons. These kids are well adjusted, have tons of friends, and are involved in a lot of activities that put them together with other kids. I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to do it myself, however if for some reason I was unhappy with the local schools I would absolutely consider it. And even with good schools available, I would too. I came across the following post on a blog that I follow, which I found very interesting and enlightening, especially reading the comments section. Jessica, I would urge you to read it. Not to "convince you" of anything, but to help you understand why some people choose this option for their kids, and the (general) benefits. I am sure that, as with most things in life, there are drawbacks too. I really found it just so interesting to read it!

Pioneer Woman - Homeschooling

PS I don't believe that homeschooling is for every parent, or every kid! But I think for *some* kids it can be the best choice, and for others (not neccesarily all) at least as good a choice as "regular" school. And of course there are probably parents who homeschool who shouldn't, while most are probably great at what they do!

I have to add. I do think that most people that "don't agree with homeschooling" don't have an understanding of what it really means.

I used to worry about what they would lose by not being in a school setting (and again, my kids are in schools right now) but now that I know some homeschooled kids, I know that many homeschoolers belong to groups and organisations, and do get plenty of group activities. For what it is worth, I think homeschooling is very different than it used to be. That is not to say that it is the right choice for everyone.

AnnieBee, thanks for the link, I've really enjoyed browsing thru the site.

Carol

WOW! A debate was definitely not what I was after and I definately wasn't looking to get my decision questioned either. I have my reasons for choosing to homeschool...and like others I really don't have to justify it, but to appease you, I'll try to explain my reasons.

1. To align what my children learn to our family's value system at all times....yes we are Christian, not that it's any of your business.
2. To stop fighting a system that frankly will NEVER change....it will ALWAYS be about the bottom line, the almighty dollar, not the children

My son had a stroke in utero and has a brain injury...now before you judge that one...the prognosis when we found out (while I was still pregnant) was that he would never walk, never talk, never be able to feed or care for himself. I sit here today telling you that he has defied the odds and every doctor's prognosis....he does all those things and more. All because of the advocating I have done for him. He is able to learn, does learn, but needs an open minded system...one that doesn't say he's lazy, attention seeking, manipulating....what child would want to learn in that kind of environment? Would you? I seriously doubt it. An open minded system, that when being supplied with expert evaluation and recommendations to help the child have a free and appropriate public education, one that would make him a productive member of society, would so blatantly disregard any expert recommendation because they think they know what's best and what's needed. They don't have a CLUE! Well I'm here to tell you that children are being shortchanged everywhere....maybe that's not the case in your school district. And if that is the case...those children are blessed. But there are many horror stories out there of how children with differing abilities are treated in the very schools that are supposed to be helping them.

And since you think that homeschooled children are stupid, unproductive and unemployable, I thought I'd let you know about a friend I have who homeschools her daughter (also a in utero stroke survivor), pulled her out of the public school in 1st grade. She is 15 and taking college courses and quite spectacularly confers with physicians about her goal to become a cardiologist....she's reading AND understanding medical books and discussing them with the doctors! Oh, and she lives in Texas too....

I want to thank the others for their insight and sincere advice to my real questions.

Dawn

Ok, I decided that since there wasn't already one set up, I would set up a judgement free Homeschoolers group....please all the homeschoolers out there, please join me :)

Dawn

Dawn, I applaud you and totally know where you are coming from. Outside of my own experience I have done no research, but I remember how I felt and was treated in school and panic when I think of that happening to my son. He doesn't go to school 'til 2010 and I'll have no choice but to send him. I will put it in God's hands that He will provide protection for him.

*Applause* to all teachers whether they are the parents or the teachers in the schools. If the end result is the same, as this world evolves, we have to learn to accept everyones choices and hope for the best. Right, wrong or indifferent. If children pass the appropriate testing, are well socialized (my only issue with 'some' home schooling), and the child is also ok with the choice, then there is no wrong decision. The same questions can be raised over where the better education is, public or private.

Again - kudos to all teachers! Everyone tries their best to achieve the common goal of educating our future leaders the best that we possibly can.

Note: Since I voiced one of my concerns with HS'ing - I'll also voice for those in support of HS'ing that nothing irritates me more than public/private school teachers unions going on strike b/c they want ALL of their cake and eat it too (i.e. 100% paid benefits)...At least those HS'ing don't have such interruptions in their learning process. Now I have balanced out my opinions :).

elijahstrust said:
I have 5 children, one who will graduate high school next year. My other four are 2 sets of identical twins. This upcoming school year I have decided to start homeschooling at least one if not 2 of the 4 (and then eventually probably all 4). I didn't notice any groups set up for those who homeschool so I wanted to ask is there anyone here who homeschools and is successful with their PC business? If so, how do you make it all work?

Thanks,

When I first started TPC, I was a "Stay-At-Homeschooling Mom of 3" (one of which I was pregnant with when I first signed, and had given birth when I really got my business going).

Although I am no longer homeschooling, I did a learn a few things about balance and working the two together. I think the one gal who mentioned not turning on the computer until the school work was done is on to something! Distractions were my main obstacle. I found that when I tried to do business stuff while doing school stuff, neither one got done completely. So having time scheduled in your day for both is key, I think.

I admire those families who are successful homeschoolers. Unfortunately, I was not one of them, but quickly recognized the fact and dealt with it.

From a Christian stand point, a dear friend was asked at a 4th of July party about why she homeschooled by an elementary school teacher. I still share what she said (although through the years it's become paraphrased, of course). Basically, what she said was this:

"If I am called by God to homeschool my children, but out of fear (of failure, of what others think, etc.) decide to keep my children in the school system, then ultimately, that will be a failure because I have been disobedient to God and my children being in school wasn't honoring Him.

In the same respect, if I am called by God to have my children in the school system (and many are called to just that to be a Light for the Lord there), and out of fear (of what they'll learn or be exposed to, etc.) homeschool them, that too will be a failure because I have been disobedient to God and my children being homeschooled wasn't honoring Him.

So, I homeschool our children because that is what I am called to do."

I am happy to report that her two oldest children (all 3 are girls) went to college and are now happily married with children. And her youngest is 13 and doing quite well!

Our Pastor's children, who were in the public school system, are also doing well. One is in college and the other will be next year.

Both families were obedient to what God called them to do and were blessed.

So, elijahstrust;654969, God bless you as you and your family strive to follow what God is calling you to. I'll be praying for you!

Okay...off the proverbial soapbox now!!! :eek::rolleyes::D

Hello ladies. Here is a link to the blog of a friend of mine. She homeschools 3 of her 5 kids. She also has links to other homeschooling sites & blogs on her page that might interest you. I applaud everyone who decides to homeschool. My kids are only 3 & 1 but I hope I can homeschool them. Fortunately I now live in Texas and they are VERY homeschool friendly. My friend Bridget is in California where a few years ago they tried to pass a law saying you had to have a teaching credential to homeschool your kids! Thank God that didn't pass! Personally, since the public school system has removed God and almost all traces that this country was founded by God fearing people, I feel I have no other choice but to homeschool and preserve the faith and values I hold dear. I really liked what Nicole said about doing whatever it is that God tells you to do. May you all be blessed in whichever schooling path you choose!

http://www.blogginbridget.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

1. What is "Homeschooling Cheffers"?

"Homeschooling Cheffers" is a program offered by Pampered Chef that provides resources and support for homeschooling families who are interested in incorporating cooking and meal preparation into their curriculum.

2. Do I need to be a Pampered Chef consultant to participate in Homeschooling Cheffers?

No, Homeschooling Cheffers is open to all homeschooling families regardless of whether or not they are Pampered Chef consultants. However, being a consultant does offer additional benefits such as discounts on products and access to exclusive recipes and materials.

3. How can cooking and meal preparation be integrated into homeschooling?

There are many ways to incorporate cooking and meal preparation into homeschooling. This can include lessons on nutrition, budgeting, and time management, as well as practical skills like following a recipe and using kitchen tools. Homeschooling Cheffers provides resources and ideas for how to integrate cooking into various subjects and grade levels.

4. Are there any costs associated with Homeschooling Cheffers?

There is no cost to join Homeschooling Cheffers. However, if you choose to purchase Pampered Chef products, there may be associated costs. We also offer optional workshops and classes for a fee, but these are not required to participate in the program.

5. How can I get involved with Homeschooling Cheffers?

If you are interested in joining Homeschooling Cheffers, you can sign up on our website or through a Pampered Chef consultant. You can also follow our social media pages for updates and resources. We also welcome any suggestions or ideas from our participants on how to improve the program and make it more beneficial for homeschooling families.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
LarissaRed123
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • Natashya Giardina
  • Pampered Chef Support Group