• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Homemade Stromboli Recipe: Make Ahead and Freeze for Quick Meals!

In summary, this recipe is a favorite of many and is easy to make. You can substitute different flavors of soup, but the cheese layer is key.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hi all! Thought I would share a recipe that my family loves...my DSS asks for it all of the time- he would eat it every day if I made it that often!

Note: You can make these ahead of time, freeze, then just thaw out in the frig and bake!

I am giving you the recipe for ONE LARGE Stromboli, but you can make as many as you want! I never make less than two at a time!

1# frozen bread dough, thawed and risen
1 egg
1 c. grated Parmesean cheese
12 oz. grated Provalone or Motz. cheese (I always use Provalone, though)
Assorted meats (salami, ham, pepperoni- whatever you like!)

Roll out dough on floured surface to a big rectangle (about 10" x 15")
Mix egg up and add Parm cheese to egg.
Using our Small Spreader, uniformly spread the egg/Parm mixture over dough.
Layer on meats evenly over top
Add grated cheese evenly over top

Now, turn in both of the short ends. Take top of long end and fold down about 1/3 of the way down. Take bottom of long end and fold up about 1/3 of the way up. (Kind of like a big burrito)

Lay stromboli seam side down on Large Bar Pan or Large Round Stone

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes

I am so glad that you posted this. I tried one Stromboli recipe and it wasn't very good, and would like to try again. I like to know that they are a tried and true recipe. Great to have a new recipe

Hey, we could make a variation of the let's play a game thread....

Here is my family's favorite recipe (except DH, he is tired of it now!, but teenager boys eat ALL of it, everytime)

Chicken swiss bake

In bottom of casserole (I use 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish)

Roughly 1 1/2 Lbs chicken to cover the bottom (I cut it in pieces before I put it down)
One layer of Swiss Cheese (4-5 slices
Mix one can of Cream of mushroom and 1/2 can milk, pour on top of cheese
Put one box of prepared chicken stuffing on top.
Top with 2 TBSP of melted butter. (optional)

Bake for 45 minutes or until browned and center is bubbly.

This would probably fit into a 9x13 pan as well, but it is a little thin, maybe use more meat, 2 can of soup, and 2 boxes of stuffing. It really fills up my 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish.

You can assemble it in 15 minutes and your done. My sister adds peas, mushrooms (I would love to, but my family doesn't like them), and extra cheese.

Tina~

Your recipe sounds good! My hubby likes chicken and stove top...I'll just have to substitute a different flavor of soup since he would die if a mushroom touched his lips! LOL

BTW, my stromboli recipe has a really nice layer of cheese (when you cut into it, you can see the cheese layer) and the egg/parm layer kind of "sets up" from the egg so it doesn't run out. So, if you want one that you can TELL has cheese in it, this one's for you! My family likes this even better than the local italian family restaurant's stromboli (probably cuz the restaurant puts slices of tomatoes in theirs which my kids don't like...but I do!! So, if that sounds good, you could add a FEW thin slices of tomato. Don't go overboard, or your end results would be runny!)

I am going to try your stromboli. Sounds real good. Love lots of cheese.

You can substitute cream of chicken soup for the mushroom, but it looses a lot of flavor, seems sort of bland. Maybe cream of celery or something, not sure only tried mushroom and chicken.

DH and one DS don't like mushroom anything, but do like this better with the mushroom soup and tolerate the little pieces of mushroom. They can't really taste the mushroom, unless they see the pieces of it.

Actually, I got my recipe from a former co-worker. He would bring leftovers in and we could smell it through the whole building. Everyone begged him for the recipe for months. He finally brought it in. I have given it to several people and they are not excited about it, till they try it or smell it (like at my house). Then they really like it.

Very good recipe. I wasn't expecting to make this tonight.... we were going to have Ribeyes:eek:

My husband called and said he would be a lot later than he thought, so I thought we could have ribeyes tomorrow.

My kids only wanted pepperoni and cheese. To them it would be just like pizza.

I was going to do onion, pepper, garlic, mushrooms, maybe tomato (saving it for tomorrow), pepperoni sausage and cheese.

My kids came in and fixed their own (they are 15 & 16), my husband came home earlier and wanted left over cheeseburgers, and there were 5 of us in the kitchen at the same time (including one 3 yr old under foot).

I did not add all the extras, mostly just had pepperoni, cheese, mushrooms, cheese, and thin slice of tomato.

It was good without all of the extra's, but I bet it would be better with all that.

Thanks for the keeper recipe. I appreciate it.

A way around cream of mushroom soup, mom used it for years!!Kelly,
I had to laugh when I read what you said about your hubby......
I'll just have to substitute a different flavor of soup since he would die if a mushroom touched his lips! LOL

I personally am the one in my house who doesn't like Mushrooms and neither do my kids either, so what I do is heat up the cream of mushroom soup and then put through a strainer and ALSO mix with a cream of chicken or other cream soup and then my kids will eat this.

I learned this from my mom, of course when I was about 20, as I've always had an aversion to mushrooms (got that from my dad), but Mom loved the flavor of the mushroom soup so that's what she did for ever.

Try this and see if it'll work. Put that new PC strainer to use, lol.

Lisa

genburk said:
I am so glad that you posted this. I tried one Stromboli recipe and it wasn't very good, and would like to try again. I like to know that they are a tried and true recipe. Great to have a new recipe

Hey, we could make a variation of the let's play a game thread....

Here is my family's favorite recipe (except DH, he is tired of it now!, but teenager boys eat ALL of it, everytime)

Chicken swiss bake

In bottom of casserole (I use 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish)

Roughly 1 1/2 Lbs chicken to cover the bottom (I cut it in pieces before I put it down)
One layer of Swiss Cheese (4-5 slices
Mix one can of Cream of mushroom and 1/2 can milk, pour on top of cheese
Put one box of prepared chicken stuffing on top.
Top with 2 TBSP of melted butter. (optional)

Bake for 45 minutes or until browned and center is bubbly.

This would probably fit into a 9x13 pan as well, but it is a little thin, maybe use more meat, 2 can of soup, and 2 boxes of stuffing. It really fills up my 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish.

You can assemble it in 15 minutes and your done. My sister adds peas, mushrooms (I would love to, but my family doesn't like them), and extra cheese.

EXACTLY what I make! Got it from a Campbell's soup cookbook or recipe card :)

kcjodih said:
EXACTLY what I make! Got it from a Campbell's soup cookbook or recipe card :)

maybe that is where he got the recipe. Everyone I talked to has not heard of it, although I was sure it had been around somewhere. It is too simple to be a new recipe. Thanks.

KellyTheChef said:
Hi all! Thought I would share a recipe that my family loves...my DSS asks for it all of the time- he would eat it every day if I made it that often!

Note: You can make these ahead of time, freeze, then just thaw out in the frig and bake!

I am giving you the recipe for ONE LARGE Stromboli, but you can make as many as you want! I never make less than two at a time!

1# frozen bread dough, thawed and risen
1 egg
1 c. grated Parmesean cheese
12 oz. grated Provalone or Motz. cheese (I always use Provalone, though)
Assorted meats (salami, ham, pepperoni- whatever you like!)

Roll out dough on floured surface to a big rectangle (about 10" x 15")
Mix egg up and add Parm cheese to egg.
Using our Small Spreader, uniformly spread the egg/Parm mixture over dough.
Layer on meats evenly over top
Add grated cheese evenly over top

Now, turn in both of the short ends. Take top of long end and fold down about 1/3 of the way down. Take bottom of long end and fold up about 1/3 of the way up. (Kind of like a big burrito)

Lay stromboli seam side down on Large Bar Pan or Large Round Stone

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes

This sounds REALLY yummy! Do you have any pictures or can you take some "how-to" photos for me??? Ok, so you freeze uncooked/.

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Kelly,
I had to laugh when I read what you said about your hubby......

I personally am the one in my house who doesn't like Mushrooms and neither do my kids either, so what I do is heat up the cream of mushroom soup and then put through a strainer and ALSO mix with a cream of chicken or other cream soup and then my kids will eat this.

I learned this from my mom, of course when I was about 20, as I've always had an aversion to mushrooms (got that from my dad), but Mom loved the flavor of the mushroom soup so that's what she did for ever.

Try this and see if it'll work. Put that new PC strainer to use, lol.

Lisa

Lisa~

I will have to *secretly* try this sometime! If hubby knows that I did that, he wouldn't eat it...but I am sure he would never know if he didn't see me doing it!

Thanks for the great tip!

its_me_susan said:
This sounds REALLY yummy! Do you have any pictures or can you take some "how-to" photos for me??? Ok, so you freeze uncooked/.
Susan~

Yes, you can freeze it uncooked. The lady I got the recipe from bakes them half way if she wants to freeze it, but when I did that and then baked them to finish them off later, it seemed to get way too hard on the outside for me. So, since then, I have just frozen them totally uncooked. Just put it on a piece of parchment or plastic wrap right on your bar pan or cookie tray. Freeze it while it is sitting on the tray (so it freezes "straight") and then you can take it off of the tray and wrap it securely once it is frozen.

Just be sure that you leave plenty of time for it to thaw out TOTALLY in the frig before you need to bake it...then bake as the recipe directs you to!

I will see about getting some "how to" pictures for you...

What ingredients do I need to make the easy homemade stromboli recipe?

To make the easy homemade stromboli recipe, you will need pizza dough, your choice of meat and vegetables, shredded cheese, marinara sauce, and an egg wash for brushing the dough.

Can I make the stromboli ahead of time and freeze it for later?

Yes, this recipe is perfect for making ahead and freezing for quick meals. After baking the stromboli, let it cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. It can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.

How do I reheat the frozen stromboli?

To reheat the frozen stromboli, preheat your oven to 375°F. Remove the plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place the stromboli on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through. You can also thaw the stromboli in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.

What types of meat and vegetables can I use in the stromboli?

You can use any of your favorite pizza toppings in the stromboli. Some popular options include pepperoni, sausage, ham, mushrooms, peppers, and onions. You can also make a vegetarian stromboli by using only vegetables and omitting the meat.

Can I make multiple strombolis at once and freeze them?

Yes, you can easily double or triple this recipe to make multiple strombolis at once. After baking and cooling, wrap each stromboli individually and place them in the freezer for later use. This is a great way to have multiple meals prepared ahead of time for busy weeks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Oracle
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ritabenson
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC