• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Spanish Rice Recipe & Side Dish Ideas for South of the Border Meatloaf

In summary, to make the Spanish rice recipe, you will need long-grain rice, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Cook the onion and garlic in olive oil, then add in the rice, tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Pour in the chicken broth and let it simmer. You can use brown rice instead, but adjust the cooking time and add more liquid if needed. Serve with side dishes like black beans or roasted vegetables. The rice can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve. Vegetable broth can be substituted for chicken broth, but water may affect the flavor.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm making South of the Border Meatloaf tonight for our dinner. I'm trying to figure out what else to serve with it. Any ideas? I was also wondering if anyone has ever made a homemade Spanish rice in the microcooker or something? I'd love to come up with something other than a salad or steamed veggies. :)

When I make Spanish rice I just cook rice in chicken broth with a squirt of lime juice and then add some salsa and Mexican blend shredded cheese before all the water has evaportated. I'm sure that's not the right way to make Spanish rice but it's the way my daughter and hubby eat it and getting them to eat something with salsa is pretty hard. LOL

Thanks guys! I'll look into those and see what I've got on hand. :)

You can also use a can of mild rotel-just be sure to account for it in your liquid but it takes care of the spices and it's my cheaters way of making it!

smart2cook... that's how i used to make mine but didn't have it one day but i did have salsa... and now that we are talking about Mexican... I want to make quesedilla and Spanish rice tonight instead of a Lean Cuisine and Kid Cuisine

Oh Salsa is good on everything! I use that in my enchilada's LOL! It is soooooo healthy! Yeah, this is getting me wanting food I cannot have too much of right now! LOL! But boy does it sound soooo good!

1. How do I make the Spanish rice recipe?

To make the Spanish rice recipe, you will need 2 cups of long-grain rice, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 diced onion, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 2 cups of chicken broth, and salt and pepper to taste. In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until they are softened. Then add in the rice, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder, and stir until everything is well combined. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.

2. Can I use brown rice instead of long-grain rice?

Yes, you can use brown rice instead of long-grain rice in this recipe. Keep in mind that brown rice will take longer to cook, so you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. You may also need to add a bit more liquid, such as an additional ½ cup of chicken broth, to ensure the rice cooks properly.

3. What are some side dish ideas to serve with the Spanish rice?

Some delicious side dish ideas to serve with the Spanish rice include black beans, roasted vegetables, grilled corn on the cob, or a fresh green salad. You can also serve it as a side dish to any Mexican-inspired main dish, such as enchiladas or tacos.

4. Can I make the Spanish rice ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the Spanish rice ahead of time. After cooking, let it cool completely and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat the rice in a skillet with a bit of water or chicken broth until it is warmed through.

5. Can I substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth?

Yes, you can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth in this recipe. This is a great option for vegetarians or those who do not eat meat. The flavor of the rice may be slightly different, but it will still be delicious. You can also use water in place of broth, but keep in mind that it may affect the overall flavor of the rice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies