• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

In summary, PC has a chicken noodle soup recipe that can be made with a whole chicken or with chicken and noodles.
ChefPaulaB
Does PC have a chicken noodle soup recipe? Or does anyone have tried and true recipe that they'd care to share? You can tell it's getting colder, I'm in the mood for some comfort foods!

I don't know if PC has a recipe..but..I always make it..but I don't really have measurements..I make Chicken CORN Noodle soup though

I use a whole chicken..put that in the bottom of the pot and cover it with water..put a little bit of Salt and pepper and celery stalks.

Cook it until it is done..I usually just pull on one of the legs and when it easy comes off..that is when it is done. Take the chicken out and let it cool so you can touch it. I get as much meat off of it as I can and cut it all up into bite sized pieces. Strain the broth. Add the chicken back into the broth..bring to a boil and add noodles and corn. I use a whole large bag of egg noodles..and a 16 oz bag of corn.

That is what I always make and it is YUMMY.

I do. It is sooo easy and everyone loves it ( no joke.. I get requests for it.)
I fill my 8 quart stainless stock pot about 3/4 full of water, add chicken breasts and Lawrey's season salt until it covers the top and then some. I also add the middle of the celery bunch ( you know the smaller ones with leaves) and boil for about 2 hours.
I cut up about 7-8 stalks of celery and 5-6 carrots, take the chicken out and shred ( pulling out the icky looking parts) then add it all back in and cook on medium low for another hour. I boil whole wheat noodles separately and add them in when done.
I don't know if that makes sense but it really is good.

LOL - I think everyone's chicken soup recipe is "a little of this, a little of that"...

I use a whole chicken in a pot, cover it with 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth (I use Imagine Organic) and boil til done (lid on).

Take out the chicken, and strain the broth, put broth back in pot, shred chicken, and put back in broth along with 3-4 sliced carrots, 3 stalks of celery, sliced, 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced, a bay leaf, and a couple sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Add more chicken broth if you need to.

Let this simmer until carrots and celery are soft, and then add noodles of your choice. (I often use whole grain spaghetti noodles, broken into 1-2 inch strands...and if I decide to make chicken and rice soup, I throw in a couple big handfuls of brown rice at the same time that I put in the veggies. You can also do the same with barley)

Mmmm.... soup time :) My DH calls me the soup nazi b/c I LOVE to cook up and fill our freezer full of soup for the winter- he asked me once if I was saving up for a soup apocolypse, lol ;)

kdangel518 said:
Mmmm.... soup time :) My DH calls me the soup nazi b/c I LOVE to cook up and fill our freezer full of soup for the winter- he asked me once if I was saving up for a soup apocolypse, lol ;)

I love to make soup too! Fortunately, my husband and son LOVE soup! It's also nice to have in the freezer for those times when you hear of someone who is sick, or just home from the hospital...

My favorites to make are:

Chicken Noodle
Chicken & Rice
Vegetable/Beef/Barley (made this yesterday!)
Split Pea w/ sausage
Hodge-Podge
French Onion
Smashed Potato (PC recipe!)
White Chicken Chili
3 Bean Chili
Bean Soup w/ ham

and I also like to try new soups too....if it's a thumbs up from all of us, then it gets added to the regular list. :)

When my son was a baby - soups were his favorite thing to eat. I would make up a big batch of a chicken/rice/veggie soup, or beef/barley/veggie soup, and puree it, and freeze it in little containers. Then I could feed them to him, and know that he was getting a balanced meal. He didn't care for most baby foods, so I mostly made all of his food.

This is so funny!! My sister talked about having Chicken Noodle soup last night, so I went to the freezer and found a whole chicken and it is now in my DCB in the oven cooking so I can clean the chicken off the bones to make my own tonight. Cooking chicken with some italian season, salt, pepper and garlic and water. Will add potatoes, carrot's celery, corn, Reame's noodles and make bisquits. Mouth is drooling right now.

These all sound wonderful! I went to the store and bought carrots, celery, onion, potatoes and the frozen noodles (Reemes I believe it was) so that I could concoct something. The only thing that I didn't get was the chicken because the grocery store that I was at wanted $10 for a whole chicken!!! CRAZY!!! So, I decided that it would be worth my time to hit another store for the chicken. Anyway, I'll probably make a combination of all of these, tomorrow! WE won't be home tonight for dinner, but I can get it started tomorrow morning and have dinner ready! Oh and I love the ( pulling out the icky looking parts) beckyjsmith! Cracked me up! Thanks again!

I make a sausage corn chowder that's a hit every winter. It was published in the local paper for their "local cooks" feature about 14 years ago. It's super simple because I use packaged potatoes o'brien and canned corn so I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

PampChefJoy said:
I make a sausage corn chowder that's a hit every winter. It was published in the local paper for their "local cooks" feature about 14 years ago. It's super simple because I use packaged potatoes o'brien and canned corn so I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

Can you either post that recipe or PM me with it.

OMG it's one of those little of this and little of that things... but here is my best guestimate... I eyeball just about everything so I hope you get a similar result:

Brown 1 lb sausage (I use Jimmy Dean) and then add a package of Potatoes o'Brien (less if you want less potatoes in your soup). Add a couple cans of chicken broth and bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add a can of creamed corn and a can of milk. Spice to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, a little cayenne... whatever I'm in the mood for). If you want it a little thicker, either use an immersion blender to puree some of the potatoes in the soup, or add some instant mashed potatoes flakes. Use skim milk, regular milk, half-n-half to your liking to adjust the richness.

Sometimes I will top with a little shredded cheese and bacon before serving (it's more like a baked potato soup that way).

And sometimes I'll throw in some shredded chicken if I have it. My brother likes to add chopped tomatoes and makes it more broth-based. I know this is vague... sorry!

That sounds really good! thanks for sharing!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I think everyone's chicken soup recipe is "a little of this, a little of that"...

I use a whole chicken in a pot, cover it with 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth (I use Imagine Organic) and boil til done (lid on).

Take out the chicken, and strain the broth, put broth back in pot, shred chicken, and put back in broth along with 3-4 sliced carrots, 3 stalks of celery, sliced, 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced, a bay leaf, and a couple sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Add more chicken broth if you need to.

Let this simmer until carrots and celery are soft, and then add noodles of your choice. (I often use whole grain spaghetti noodles, broken into 1-2 inch strands...and if I decide to make chicken and rice soup, I throw in a couple big handfuls of brown rice at the same time that I put in the veggies. You can also do the same with barley)

Okay, I know that this is going to sound like a no brainer, but you all mention straining the broth, just wondering what the easiest method and tools would be for this job.... Do you pour it through something (the new stainless mesh colanders or the 7" strainer or what?) I'm getting ready to put my chicken in the pot and just trying to stay a step ahead! Thanks!

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, I know that this is going to sound like a no brainer, but you all mention straining the broth, just wondering what the easiest method and tools would be for this job.... Do you pour it through something (the new stainless mesh colanders or the 7" strainer or what?) I'm getting ready to put my chicken in the pot and just trying to stay a step ahead! Thanks!
I strain it from the 7" strainer, into a SS bowl, and then pour it back into the pot. (I sit the strainer on top of the bowl)The reason I strain mine is because I use fresh herbs, and also to get little floaties out of the broth so that it's nice and clear.

ChefBeckyD said:
I strain it from the 7" strainer, into a SS bowl, and then pour it back into the pot. (I sit the strainer on top of the bowl)

The reason I strain mine is because I use fresh herbs, and also to get little floaties out of the broth so that it's nice and clear.

Okay, thanks, that helps a lot!

One more question, the little packet that comes inside the chicken that I usually throw away and never open or look at (ew!), should I throw that in for extra flavoring while the whole chicken is boiling?

Paula,
One more question, the little packet that comes inside the chicken that I usually throw away and never open or look at (ew!), should I throw that in for extra flavoring while the whole chicken is boiling?
My grandma says YES!!

I love PC's Greek Lemon chicken soup and my family asks for it. (Here's recipe in case you don't have Good 4 U cookbook.)

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
(It's Good For You!...pg 35)

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
½ cup chopped onion
1-2 lemons
2 Tbls snipped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 (10 ¾ oz) can 98% fat-free reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
3 (14 ½ oz) cans 100% fat-free chicken broth
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2/3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

Chop chicken, carrots and onion using Food Chopper. Zest one lemon using Lemon Zester/Scorer to measure 1 teaspoon zest. Finely snip zest using Kitchen Shears. Juice lemons using Juicer to measure ¼ cup juice. Snip parsley using Kitchen Shears; set aside.

Heat Professional or Executive (4-qt) Casserole over medium heat until hot. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add carrots, onion and garlic pressed with Garlic Press; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, lemon zest, juice, soup, chicken broth and black pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover; simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; stir parsley into soup just before serving.

Makes 8 servings.

I've put more carrots in, and use only whole grain brown rice, just takes a few more minutes to cook rice.

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks! I'll need to try that recipe sometime! Sounds good!

If you don't like messing with the whole chicken, my aunt's recipe says to just use bone in chicken breasts and cover with chicken stock and boil.

Or do some breasts and throw a few legs in and then lot less to clean up, but you've got the boil out of the bone too.

LIsa

Well my chicken plus the neck and gizzards and the onion, celery and carrot and a few spices has finished cooking and I took it out and my wonderful DH took all the meat off the bones for me and strained the broth and I put it all back in the stock pot (meat and broth) and there isn't nearly as much broth as I was expecting! I'm very disappointed, I was hoping for a lot more, now I have to add canned chicken broth (I was really hoping to avoid that and have it all be homemade). I guess next time I'll have to put way more water in when I start to boil the chicken. Plus it still has to cook longer to cook the rest of the veggies and and I'm going to add noodles (the freezer kind) and that'll soak up some broth too... Guess I'm off to the store to buy some chicken broth! I'll keep you posted (not that anyone cares, but I feel the need to share!)

I care if that matters..LOL..I have never tried the frozen noodles..I honestly don't think that I have even ever heard of them..I will have to try them some time.

This is my favorite chicken noodle soup recipe... courtesy of Julie Harrell, a photographer that I follow.

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 medium onion
3-4 celery stalks chopped
3 carrots chopped
2 medium skinless/boneless chicken breasts thawed, or cooked and shredded
64 oz chicken stock (or broth)
Dash of red pepper flakes
Dash of oregano (or parsley)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Egg Noodles (recipe to follow)

Optional garnishes:
More red pepper flakes
Green Onion
Chives
Cream

Saute garlic in the olive oil and butter, add onions and saute until soft. Add Celery and carrots, and saute for a few minutes longer. Add chicken breasts, whole if not cooked, and chicken stalk along with seasonings. Let simmer until breasts are cooked through. Remove the breasts and shred with forks, and return to soup. Bring to a boil and add half or more of the noodles to the soup---however many you want. Reduce heat, and simmer at least 45 minutes (or until noodles are tender throughout).

Dish into bowls, garnish with whatever! And enjoy with some warm yeast rolls!

Mom's egg noodles:

2 1/2 cups flour
2-3 eggs (I like to mix mine first)
1-2 half eggshells of milk
dash of salt (and pepper if you want)

Sift four and spices, make a well inside the flour to hold the eggs and milk, pour eggs (either whole or beaten) into the well. Add 1/2 an eggshell of milk, and mix. It may need more moisture, mine did today, so add another 1/2 shell of milk if needed. Dough should be sticky enough to roll into a ball, but not so much that it cannot be rolled out. Roll the dough into a ball and let sit for 1/2 an hour. Dust the rolling area with a generous amount of flour and roll the dough to 1/8 in thick. Cut your noodles with cookie cutters, or a pizza cutter. I like to let mine dry for a while before adding them to the soup, but you could very well stick them in boiling water right away. They also freeze very well!

I second the frozen noodles, they are very hearty and wonderful in soup!

Well, let me just say that it turned out AWESOME!!! I cut up the carrots and celery that I had strained out and put them back in with the chicken and then added a few more carrots and some chopped onion, I also added a can of corn and a can green beans (I know that makes it more like a stew but we like it that way). Then I let it simmer all afternoon until we were almost ready to eat and then I put in the package of noodles and about a cup of milk with some flour stirred into it to thicken it up some. At the same time I put the dinner rolls (Rhodes frozen dinner rolls) that I had rising all afternoon into the oven... so we had homemade dinner rolls (I use that term loosely!) and the chicken noodle stew, about 20 minutes later! It was soooo good. Tomorrow night we're going to serve the leftovers over mashed potatoes because it'll thicken up so much (I know, lots of starch, but oh so good). Can't wait! Thanks for everyone that shared and cared! ;) And chefheidi2003, you have to try the frozen noodles, they are soooo good! Just like Grandma used to make without all of the work!

1. What ingredients do I need to make homemade chicken noodle soup?

To make homemade chicken noodle soup, you will need:

• 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 ounces of egg noodles
  • Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

2. Can I use pre-cooked chicken for this recipe?

Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken for this recipe. Simply shred or chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the soup during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

3. How long does it take to make homemade chicken noodle soup?

The total cooking time for this recipe is about 1 hour. However, active cooking time is only about 20 minutes. The rest of the time is for the soup to simmer and develop flavor.

4. Can I freeze homemade chicken noodle soup?

Yes, you can freeze homemade chicken noodle soup. Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to airtight containers or freezer bags. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.

5. Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can make this soup in a slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients except for the noodles and parsley to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Add the noodles during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Garnish with parsley before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef~Amber
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
diradt
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
cincychef
  • abrahamlaur