• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Home Office Tours at Conference

In summary, some people think that the tour is unfair because there are not enough of them, while others think that everyone should have a chance.

Did you get on a Home Office Tour?

• I got on a tour but I think everyone who comes to conference should be get to take the tour.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I didn't get on a tour and I think everyone who comes to conference should be get to take the tour.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I got my registration in early and got on a tour. You snooze, you lose!

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I didn't get on a tour but it's no big deal.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I've taken the tour in the past and it's great!

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • I've taken the tour in the past and it's no big deal.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Too bad some of you didn't get on a tour. Get over it.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other - Read my explination in my post.

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Okay, Cheffers! What side of the fence do you come down on for this particular topic? I think everyone pretty knows how I feel about this but am I alone? This completely unscientific poll with no basis in reality is strictly for research purposes.

How do you feel about it? Please vote in the poll and post your opinion here.

UnfairnessI think it stinks that they do not have enough tours to accomodate those that want to go. Even more unfair is how one person can try to get in to be told unavailable whereas the person that registers after them gets into the tour. No explanation from the home office on That one! just not fair.

Okay, I got on a tour but I didn't last year...I too waited until day 2 to register and was left out in the cold (or standby line). I learned and registered ASAP this year as I knew that they would fill up quickly. I do think that everyone should have a chance to go on a tour but there is a limited amount of room and a limited amount of time. I don't think that there would be enough time at conference to get everyone a tour so my answer is other...KG, I understand what you are saying but I also can see the limitations of HO as well.

I agree with Sooner Chef. I registered EARLY Monday morning,and got on the tour. I do feel that eveyone should be able to go on the tour, but I do not see logistically how that would be possible, ESPECIALLY with the traffic here. I live about 3 miles from home office, and the bus leaves from the city. You never know how long it will take you to get anywhere around here. It can change in an instant, and that would be very difficult to plan workshops around that.

I don't buy it. I understand about Chicago traffic, I drive in it often ecnough. I also know that there are only two seasons in Chicago ~ Winter and Orange Barrel but everyone has to accomodate that problem. There are alternatives, I'm sure.If TPC really wanted everyone at conference to get a tour of the home office, they would find a way to make it happen. Other conferences do. Isn't the message of conference that setting goals and positive attitude will make us successful? I would think it should work both ways.Even if meant moving the conference from downtown to the west side, it could be done.

Last edited:
Wow!! I'm glad now I opted not to take the tour. I have gone on it 2 times now. I would've signed up for the tour this year if my husband wasn't going with me. I freed up my spot for someone else. Hopefully it was someone who has never gone on the tour before.

For those of you who didn't get on a tour, try calling HO asap, they might be able to squeeze you in. My director told me to try it last year since it was my first conference, and they did! 2 other gals that I went with went & waited on stand-by, and they got on tour also! We were on the 7am, day 1 tour, got there at 6:30 to register, then waited in line for the tour. It's DEFINATELY worth it!!!
I do understand they do have limits with time & space.

Chef Kearns said:
I freed up my spot for someone else. Hopefully it was someone who has never gone on the tour before.
Apparently, it wasn't me. :(

While I'd love to take the tour, I'm not really too bummed about it. I know I'll have another chance next year. :)

I got on,but I completely understand your frustration. My Director is just as frustrated. She said that she doesn't sign up for the tours because she believes that the Consultants should get those spots. She has a soap-box about the higher-ups that take the tour (although they have been already) and have actually won the sprees ("those people making that much money have no right taking the free stuff). I'm a newby, so I am excited that I got in in time.

I just received the brochure TODAY! Yes, it stinks for the people without computer access.

TAKE THE TOUR IF YOU CAN - I won a spree last year on my first conference!! It was awesome!! There were a few gals with us who did not sign up and they went and waited on standby and they all got on the tours - they actually got on the buses before me with a ticket!! The earlier the better because many people will oversleep, decide not to get out of bed, etc. I thought the tour was great - love knowing where the folks work, what the warehouse looks like and even knowing what Doris office looks like! THe spree just topped it all off!!

Unfortunately it's the major construction that, as you will all see, is RIGHT by McCormick place that is what is causing all these problems. If you live around Chicago, you'd see that the construction was a major news story when it all started on the Dan Ryan. They had all these alerts about alternate routes, scaring the heck out of people from even attempting to use that route, etc. The funny thing is, the first day of constructions, travel times were fine on it because everyone was scared to go that way!

It does suck that there's no way the HO can avoid that. They were probably really bummed when this particular project was announced for this summer, right in the middle of when conference is every year. I know they take into account the crappy traffic around Chicago and the suburbs when they schedule these HO tours, but this was something that I doubt there was much control over.

I only went on the HO tour once....during my first conference. It's a very cool experience but there's always next year to try to get in on one. The HO won't change much....especially because it's so new. I really feel for those of you who want to go. Maybe there's SOMETHING HO can do, I don't know.

Here's is a copy of an email my upline director received from HO regarding this issue:

We changed the number of Home Office Tours because the amount of time it takes coworkers to load Consultants onto the buses and travel from McCormick Place to the home office is about 1 1/2 hours. This summer we have the added burden of a huge road construction project that will affect our travel times to/from the Home Office. With that in mind, the entire tour will take approximately 5 hours from departure until your return to either McCormick Place on Day 1 or the conference hotels on Day 3.

For the past two years we have either had tours return late and miss the beginning of workshops, missed part of the Directors Special Event OR we have shortened the tour route at the home office, so Consultants only see part of the first floor. Neither modification has been appreciated by Consultants.

To fit the tours within the available 'free' time of conference we are only able to offer three tours.

We are unable increase the number of Consultants allowed to attend a given tour time because there isn't enough room at the home office or available coworkers to assist a group larger than 200 Consultants.

We encouraged only first time attendees to register for Home Office Tours. Unfortunately, our registration system cannot limit home office tours to only first time attendees. You can help us by spreading the word to people who have already been to the Home Office to please cancel their registration for the tour to make room for first time attendees.

It is possible to get onto a tour if the registration is full. Some of the Consultants who are registered will not show for their tour time. That leaves a few open seats to fill. We allow anyone to wait in the "stand-by" line, as a seat becomes available we pull from this line.

Thanks for your understanding.

Lisa

Lisa Schwarzbek

Project Supervisor

Meetings & Incentives

The Pampered Chef

How do you know if you got onto one of the tours. I am in Wave 3 and registered on the first day for the first tour. Do they let you know?

cookinmelissa said:
How do you know if you got onto one of the tours. I am in Wave 3 and registered on the first day for the first tour. Do they let you know?
If there was an option of one of the tours to choose, then I believe you got in. Once they're closed, it says "FULL" and you're not able to click on it as an option. If you got in, consider yourself lucky!:D

Thank you Becky.

pamperedbecky said:
We changed the number of Home Office Tours because the amount of time it takes coworkers to load Consultants onto the buses and travel from McCormick Place to the home office is about 1 1/2 hours. This summer we have the added burden of a huge road construction project that will affect our travel times to/from the Home Office. With that in mind, the entire tour will take approximately 5 hours from departure until your return to either McCormick Place on Day 1 or the conference hotels on Day 3.

Okay so now that I know it is going to burn 5 hours of my day (over 1/2 on a bus) I would rather take my $25.00 and shop Merrill or VIP or Buy a Surprise box! I also say this because I have been to both the old and new HO tours in the past - If you are up for the standby line I would highly recommend taking the tour!!

Leea

I voted...Too bad some of you didn't get on a tour. ;) Get over it. :p

Just seems like a waste of breath to keep complaining about it:eek: ...:D I of course, would be right with you if I hadn't already seen the home office 2 years ago...:D

well....I have not registered yet d/t the fact that i am waiting for my ok from HO to switch conference d/t day time work... BUT i feel that those who have never been before should get first dibs...

I ultimately feel that EVERYONE should go... how can you go to conference and not tour HO.

This is my first year and i am really bumming!!

I signed up for the Spanish HO tour...... I guess I need to learn Spanish though............drats!! LOL

fruit76loop said:
Too bad some of you didn't get on a tour. ;) Get over it. :p

Just seems like a waste of breath to keep complaining about it:eek: ...:D I of course, would be right with you if I hadn't already seen the home office 2 years ago...:D

I think most folks keep complaining to let HO how they feel about it. I'm sure there are spooks from HO that monitor this site.

Not getting to see home office at TPC's big party is like inviting people to your house for Thanksgiving when you know you don't have room for them. So you tell them when they get there, "Oh, sorry, there's no room for you at the table and not enough turkey. But we're really glad you're here so we set up a card table in the basement and we've got some baloney sandwiches made with Wonder Bread. Gee, we're sure glad you're here!"

It just really makes one glad they're giving up a week of their life (and about a grand after travel & lodging) to sit at the card table for sandwiches while everyone else has turkey and stuffing.

sad...It is really sad that there is not enough room for those that want to attend. And it is even sader that the HO cannot track those who have been on the tour already. I bet if they could...all of those who haven't been could get in! One of my FD is going to conference with me and she wasn't able to get a tour either!

I hope you did realize I was just teasin!! :p I am the biggest complainer around when I don't get somethin I want!!:D ;)

fruit76loop said:
I hope you did realize I was just teasin!! :p I am the biggest complainer around when I don't get somethin I want!!:D ;)
Of course, I did, but I removed my smartass reply at the begining of my post. I didn't want to mess up my metaphor that I worked so hard to create.

What do you want to bet that no matter what I order for meals, I'm going to get baloney sandwiches on Wonder Bread?

I'm In!!!They just called me from HO... I'm in tour #1 at 6:45!
01snooopy.gif
myschrood.gif
mysnooop2.gif

WOOHOO!

And guess what's for breakfast on that tour...baloney on Wonder, with the crusts.

Diane

dianevill said:
And guess what's for breakfast on that tour...baloney on Wonder, with the crusts.

Diane
As long as they toast that wallpaper paste first.

For the early tours just a tip...unless you eat like a bird and LOVE yogurt and bruised bananas you should grab something else to eat beforehand or bring something else with you. It is a long tour!!

Chef Kearns said:
For the early tours just a tip...unless you eat like a bird and LOVE yogurt and bruised bananas you should grab something else to eat beforehand or bring something else with you. It is a long tour!!
Thanks for the tip - unfortunately, I'm not aware of a Mickey D's close to the hotel, at least, I don't remember one. I'll also bring along my giant-size thermal coffee jug.

To quote George Carlin, "Never eat a food that has a Y and G in the name."

I just got in!!! Call. They have a wait list, but she told me I am definitely in!!! I signed up for the 8am tour.

its_me_susan said:
I just got in!!! Call. They have a wait list, but she told me I am definitely in!!! I signed up for the 8am tour.
I need new glasses. I just read that as "I signed up for the Barn tour."

It startled me because I thought Mrs' O'Leary's barn burned down in 1871.

-tkg

waiting list?What's this about a waiting list to get on a tour? :confused: This is the first that I've read about it and would love to get on it. I see that they've opened up extra tours on the first 2 conference but not on the third.

Any info would be GREAT!

Alison

I'd like to know; why they don't make sure new consultants get a tour.
Since we are new, you would think, they would want newby's to get in on a tour for sure!
Schel

Because of what I read on this thread, I sent an e-mail to home office this morning requesting to either be put on a waiting list or for them to make some more roon on the tours. Got a reply back this afternoon saying that they put me in one of the tours. (They were marked FULL when I registered.) They'll send me the confirmation and time via US mail. Yay!!!!!! :) I was not expecting such a fast and easy response!

Other...I voted other because this is my first conference and I got in on the tour. I didn't even KNOW that there was some sort of giveaway. I just have this urge to be able to see everything I can....I really like to visualize things in my head.
Sandi

pamperedchef.carol said:
Because of what I read on this thread, I sent an e-mail to home office this morning requesting to either be put on a waiting list or for them to make some more roon on the tours. Got a reply back this afternoon saying that they put me in one of the tours. (They were marked FULL when I registered.) They'll send me the confirmation and time via US mail. Yay!!!!!! :) I was not expecting such a fast and easy response!
You missed all the heartburn a couple of weeks ago -I'm glad you got on a tour!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Thanks for the tip - unfortunately, I'm not aware of a Mickey D's close to the hotel, at least, I don't remember one.

There is a Mickey D's in the McCormick Center...we ate there last year when our lunch was horrible...baloney & wonder bread would have been better!

You have to cross the bridge/walkway to get there, but it would be worth it. I was starving by the end of the breakfast tour last year!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Harrle
  • Happy Mom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
supergirljennie
  • quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies