• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Catch a Thief: Don't be a Good Samaritan this Time of Year!

In summary, the man wanted to borrow a cell phone from the husband, but the husband didn't want to take the chance. The man then fled the scene.
Sheila
Gold Member
This is what I posted on some local news media Facebook pages (I also sent the various networks e-mail messages asking if they were interested in running the story:
Don't be a good "Samaritan" this time of year! It might come back to bite you in the end!As I exited my vehicle in the Sam's parking lot at 2900 W. Wheatland Rd. on the 19th I was approached by a male who asked if he could borrow my cell phone saying he needed to call his Mom for a ride. I joked & asked if he was going to call a 900 number or run off with my phone & he assured me that wasn't the case. He appeared to be making a call. My son's balloon flew out of the van & he actually reacted & tried to help me catch the balloon. He then asked if he could try again (make another call) and I said yes. He acted like he was trying again, then turn & fled across a grassy area to an Apartment Complex behind Sam's.A couple of Sam's employee's stood with me, one of them calling 911 for me & then letting me use his phone to call SPRINT and lock down the phone. The Police Officer and the Asset Manager at Sam's were extremely polite and helpful too.However, we are now at a standstill. Investigator Rodriguez with the Dallas Police Department's Southwest Division is saying that it's not "theft" since I gave him permission to use the phone. The fact that he took the phone & ran shows "intent to deprive the owner of property" which is the definition of theft here in Texas. So I disagree with her.I'm trying to identify the suspect. If anyone happens to know who he is, I'd appreciate your help in trying to identify him. I'd like to have the phone back (I really can't afford a new one right now) but I'd really LOVE to have the photos back that were on the phone as well. I'd also like to see the suspect pay the consequence for his action. If you can't pick on a woman with two small kids, who can you pick on, right? He saw me as an easy target because he knew that with 2 small children, I'd be unable to chase him.He was a black male, late 20's or maybe early 30's and about 170 lbs. No glasses or facial hair & I didn't notice any scars, marks or tattoos. He's definitely a BULLS fan, which might help identify him. He was wearing a white t-shirt with a BULLS logo & while fleeing from the scene, he lost his BULLS baseball cap.My children & I evacuated our military base in Japan in March 2011 after the big earthquake that caused all the radiation concerns out of the Fukushima Power Plant. We've been stateside for 20 months, but just finally got our property from Japan in mid October. It's been a long hard 20 months on us financially and emotionally. I'm ready for life to just give me a break. I'm reaching out to the public hoping someone out there recognizes the description of this man & is willing to come forward and identify him.Please PM me with the information or contact Investigator Rodriguez at 214-671-4518 & refer to case #287479Z. The case wasn't easy enough for her to solve so I'm having to be the investigator now. Any and all help is appreciated!
My follow up comment on those posts:
Well I guess I lit a fire under Inv. Rodriguez. She's back working the case again. I let her know that I've reached out to the media. Let's hope we catch the bad guy. Wish I could be a fly on the wall when he's caught & his Mom finds out what he's done. I'm betting she didn't raise him to act like this. ;)

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this has happened to you. You are an inspiration to us being so proactive in not letting the case set. Good job, and good luck with regaining your phone and pictures.

It's ashame that we have to feel like we can't help a stranger, but how do you know who to trust?Sunday evening my husband and I and our 2 kids were leaving a parking garage in downtown St. Louis and there was a man who had just driven in and had his hood up and was waving us down. He asked if we had jumper cables and if we could jump his car (but we didn't have jumper cables) and then my husband asked him if he had a cell phone and he said it was dead, too. I think my husband really wanted to help him, but we had just got done with a conversation about all the bad things happening in the St. Louis area. I told him to tell the guy there was a park ranger around the corner in the garage and he could go find him to help.It is sad that we have to feel like this, but I'm not willing to put our lives at risk because you just never know.I hope you end up getting your phone back and he gets what is due!

ThanksHindsight is 20/20 ~ I could have just made the call for him instead of handing him the phone. Lesson learned. My best friend's mother asked if the phone was made out of gold. She thinks I'm working too hard for all this. I told her I can buy gold. I can't buy back my photos. AND, I think he needs to pay the consequence for his actions!!! Any of you who were involved in the post a few months back where I was talking about how I'd change the Criminal Justice system and actually make people pay the consequence for their actions knows that I don't think people should get off easy when they commit offenses. Criminals would NOT want me to be their judge! LOL

Identified the suspect who stole my phone ~ found him on a crimestoppers page where he's wanted in another offense ...https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/61890_4918997657970_223604540_n.jpgI pulled photos of 5 more guys and did a slideshow for my 3 year old when he got up. He didn't recognize any of them. When my daughter got up, we had to get out the door (running late for something). After we got back home, I did the slide show for her (5 years old). She said NO to the others & recognized this guy immediately, saying he's the one that took my phone. I was already sure, but knowing she recognized him as the suspect too makes me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the guy.I've posted his photo on the local news media pages, hopefully someone will come forward & tell crimestoppers where he's located.

Go Sheila!

Don't mess with Sheila!! (I already knew that based on the Florida guy and that story...)

Here's something funny, my neighbor thinks she went to high school with him. She said she's going to send me a FB request, so that she can share the photo on her page & see if any of her friends know where to find him. LOL

Love the power of social media! AWESOME!

You go girl!

1. What is "Help Catch a Thief: Don't be a Good Samaritan this Time of Year!"?

"Help Catch a Thief: Don't be a Good Samaritan this Time of Year!" is a campaign launched by Pampered Chef to raise awareness about holiday theft and to educate customers on how to prevent it.

2. Why is holiday theft a concern?

Holiday theft is a concern because during the holiday season, there is an increase in the number of thefts and burglaries. Thieves take advantage of the busy and distracted nature of the season to target homes and steal valuable items.

3. What are some common tactics used by thieves during the holidays?

Some common tactics used by thieves during the holidays include following delivery trucks to steal packages, posing as charity workers to gain entry to homes, and breaking into cars to steal gifts.

4. How can I protect my home and belongings from holiday theft?

There are several steps you can take to protect your home and belongings from holiday theft. These include keeping your doors and windows locked, installing a home security system, being cautious of who you let into your home, and not leaving packages or gifts visible in your car.

5. What is Pampered Chef doing to help prevent holiday theft?

Pampered Chef is committed to helping prevent holiday theft by providing resources and tips to our customers through our "Help Catch a Thief" campaign. We also offer a variety of home security and organization products that can help keep your home safe and organized during the busy holiday season.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • byrd1956