• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dessert Ideas for Holiday Gatherings

pretty much all of them will keep for a few days. Easy and something for those who may not want the cookies/candies route. You could add some type of Christmas-y or Holiday type candy for decoration.....chopped up peppermints, andes mints, etc to the top of the trifle!!
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I was talking with my sister yesterday about our menus for our get togethers. We decided that I would bring dessert. We have one Christmas Day and another the next day at the same place. So I was trying to think of things that I could bake once and either make a double batch or possibly have enough left over for the next day. So far I have:
Oreo Truffles
Peppermint Cups (thanks Lefty)
Spritz Cookies
Ritz Peanut Butter Sandwhich Cookies

Any other ideas? I'm looking for one or two more. Doesn't have to be a PC recipe, I'm always looking for new recipes to try.

I just mixed up a batch of Russian Tea Cakes - those are my very favorite Holiday Time cookie. Small, not too sweet, and great with a cup of coffee or glass of milk.

ChefBeckyD said:
I just mixed up a batch of Russian Tea Cakes - those are my very favorite Holiday Time cookie. Small, not too sweet, and great with a cup of coffee or glass of milk.

Do you have a recipe you can share? I've never even heard of them.

Some people also call them Mexican Wedding Cakes, or Snowballs.Russian Tea CakesIngredients * 1 cup butter, softened
* 8 tablespoons sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups finely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup powdered sugarDirections 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Mix all the ingredients together with a mixer until well blended. Roll dough into round small balls. (I use the small scoop - works great!)
3. Bake for 14-16 minutes.
4. Cool until just warm to touch, and roll in powdered sugar
4. Cool completely then roll in additional powdered sugar.A couple other notes - I will often use only 4-6 Tbls. of sugar in the cookie itself. AND if you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp of salt to the recipe.

ChefBeckyD said:
Some people also call them Mexican Wedding Cakes, or Snowballs.

Russian Tea Cakes

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter, softened
* 8 tablespoons sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups finely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Mix all the ingredients together with a mixer until well blended. Roll dough into round small balls. (I use the small scoop - works great!)
3. Bake for 14-16 minutes.
4. Cool until just warm to touch, and roll in powdered sugar
4. Cool completely then roll in additional powdered sugar.

A couple other notes - I will often use only 4-6 Tbls. of sugar in the cookie itself. AND if you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp of salt to the recipe.

Sounds pretty good to me!

If I make the spritz cookies, will those store well for two days?

what about doing a trifle?? easy and something for those who may not want the cookies/candies route. You could add some type of Christmas-y or Holiday type candy for decoration.....chopped up peppermints, andes mints, etc to the top of the trifle!!

pampcheflisa said:
what about doing a trifle?? easy and something for those who may not want the cookies/candies route. You could add some type of Christmas-y or Holiday type candy for decoration.....chopped up peppermints, andes mints, etc to the top of the trifle!!

I'm trying to avoid making something twice and don't have time the day of to do anything. This all has to be done before Thursday.

Spritz stay good for a while, I would not store them with any other cookie type though cause they can pick up the flavor. You can also store them in the fridge or freezer if you are worried about them going bad. Spritz have been a family cookie all my life it is my mother's all time favorite- she has an obsession with butter. And if your recipe doesn't call for it, add a little almond extract - so good, and food coloring makes them festive!
mara

Most cookies will keep for quite a while, especially if you store them in plastic containers (Tupperware or Rubbermaid type) or in tins. The cookie books always say to put layers of waxed paper between the layers of cookies, but I never do that unless I'm freezing them or they're iced (it keeps them from sticking to the bottoms of the cookies on top). So, short answer, cookies would be a great way to maximize your time. :)

Speaking of cookies...my MIL would make huge batches of cookies for weeks before Christmas. She would just package them in her cookie tins, and put them in her garage. She's in Illinois- so it was like putting them in a fridge (or sometimes- the freezer!). Then before serving, she'd pull them out the day before. Since you are in Iowa- I'd say you could easily do the same thing- put the cookies in your garage on a shelf or something to keep cool/fresh, then pull them out to serve!

You might consider Quick Easy Turtles:preheat the oven to 200F. Place mini pretzels on a baking sheet. Put a Rolo on top of each one. Put the baking sheet in the oven for about 3 minutes--just until the Rolos are soft. Take them out of the oven and firmly press a pecan on top of each Rolo. Let them cool slightly, then transfer them to a cooling rack until completely cooled and firm. They're great and they'll keep for ages.

I make those tea cakes that Becky makes only I put a Hershey Kiss inside: Russian Tea Cake Surprise! Love them. Otherwise, not so much.

JAE said:
I make those tea cakes that Becky makes only I put a Hershey Kiss inside: Russian Tea Cake Surprise! Love them. Otherwise, not so much.

Yuck :yuck:- Yuck:yuck: - Yuck:yuck:! That is just nasty....way to ruin a time-honored, classic cookie, Jill!

(but I still love you! We need to get together for coffee!)

I don't put nuts in them either. I really should just call them something different. I got that recipe in a magazine a long time ago. I looked it up the other day online and found a few different ones. I'm not the only one!

JAE;702965[B said:
]I don't put nuts in them either[/B]. I really should just call them something different. I got that recipe in a magazine a long time ago. I looked it up the other day online and found a few different ones. I'm not the only one!

Okay - then you're not making the cookies that I make, Silly! :) Russian Tea Cakes are a NUT cookie! :rolleyes::p

raebates said:
You might consider Quick Easy Turtles:

Preheat the oven to 200F. Place mini pretzels on a baking sheet. Put a Rolo on top of each one. Put the baking sheet in the oven for about 3 minutes--just until the Rolos are soft. Take them out of the oven and firmly press a pecan on top of each Rolo. Let them cool slightly, then transfer them to a cooling rack until completely cooled and firm.

They're great and they'll keep for ages.
Mmmm... Rolos!

Maybe I make Mexican tea cakes, but maybe I use nuts. I don't remember. It's been a couple years since I made them. I don't remember the nuts, though. I guess I could go look at the recipe.

chocolate covered pretzels are always good too.

I found this on myrecipes.com. 8 Make-Ahead Desserts:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/gallery/0,28548,1852163_1648554,00.html?iid=edit-ws-121509

My family does cookie trays and ice cream! You can start baking now...store in tins or air tight containers in a cool place.No one EVER tires of the cookies!!!

1. What are some easy dessert ideas for holiday gatherings?

Some easy dessert ideas for holiday gatherings include no-bake treats such as truffles or fudge, fruit platters with a variety of dips, and holiday-themed cookies or cupcakes. You can also consider making a festive fruit salad or a simple fruit crumble using seasonal fruits.

2. Can you recommend any desserts that can be made in advance?

Yes, there are plenty of desserts that can be made in advance for holiday gatherings. Some options include cheesecake, pie, or cookie dough that can be frozen and baked or assembled later. You can also make a batch of brownies or bars a few days in advance and store them in an airtight container.

3. Are there any healthy dessert options for holiday gatherings?

Absolutely! You can make a fruit and yogurt parfait, a light and refreshing sorbet, or even a fruit-based dessert like a berry crumble or apple crisp. You can also offer a variety of fresh fruits with a light whipped cream or chocolate dip as a healthier alternative to traditional holiday treats.

4. What are some creative ways to serve traditional holiday desserts?

There are many creative ways to serve traditional holiday desserts to make them more visually appealing. For example, you can make a trifle using layers of cake, pudding, and fruit in a clear glass bowl. You can also use cookie cutters to make fun shapes out of pie crust or decorate cupcakes with festive sprinkles and toppings.

5. Do you have any recommendations for gluten-free or vegan dessert options?

Yes, there are many delicious gluten-free and vegan dessert options for holiday gatherings. Some ideas include a flourless chocolate cake, a vegan pumpkin pie, or a fruit crisp made with gluten-free oats. You can also find many recipes online for holiday cookies and bars that cater to specific dietary restrictions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • wadesgirl