• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Helping During Hurricane Ike: How We Can Give Back

In summary, our family donated and volunteered during Katrina, this time it is really near and dear to our hearts. Our son, a freshman at The University of Houston, has been welcomed into a family's home and is safe, dry, and fed, but is also away from home for the first time. The American Red Cross is asking for donors to donate blood ASAP, and there are other ways we can help. Prayers are being sent to everyone affected by Hurricane Ike.
Teresa Lynn
Gold Member
Our family donated and volunteered during Katrina, this time it's really near and dear to our hearts.

A family we do not know has welcomed our son, a freshman at The University of Houston into their home. He is safe, dry and fed. But, he's also only 18 and away from home for the first time. I can't imagine how families feel not knowing if their entire life will be gone when they return.

The American Red Cross has said that we are in a nationwide blood shortage and that the number of medical evacuations to the North Texas region due to Hurricane Ike are stressing the blood supply in Dallas. They are asking for donors to donate blood ASAP.

Other ways we can help with the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike:
Cash donations to the American Red Cross (they are still trying to recover from the aid given during Gustav.) If you are near a town hosting families this is a good time to clean your closet, they can use clothing, shoes, toiletries and diapers. Undergarments must be new and in a package.

Prayers to everyone affected by this storm which promises to be bigger than Katrina.
Blessings to anyone who helps by volunteering or donating during this devastating hurricane.

We have already planned on giving blood.:thumbup:

Praying for all involved. I saw on the news that there is already a Red Cross response team from this area headed to Texas.

Did your daughter have to dance today, Teresa? Silly, I know, but I've been wondering all day!:blushing:

I so wish I could give blood they wont take mine and I am AB +

oh yeah they danced (FOR THE PARENTS) they were able to do 2 of the 6 it was raining so hard they weren't allowed to perform on the stage because of all the electrical equipment no one was there
they danced in front of the stage on asphalt and they have a lot of the dance that is done on the floor so first time EVER worn costumes white with fringe well need I say more

I can't donate blood, sime silly weight requirement, which I think is a dumb rule :(

I have a friend who lives in Houston and they got out in time. It's so sad, yet another reason I told my husband I am not moving to Houston if he gets that new job.

A lady from our church sent an e-mail today and they are sending donations, so we are taking some stuff to the church tomorrow.

Meredith - that's sickening that you don't weigh 110 lbs. :p

I don't know if the hurricane needs any help. It seems to have done pretty well on it's own. In fact, the remains of it are supposed to be raining on us in Wisconsin tomorrow.

janetupnorth said:
Meredith - that's sickening that you don't weigh 110 lbs. :p

Sorry :( I wish I could donate and would love to, but I have never been able to.

merego said:

Sorry :( I wish I could donate and would love to, but I have never been able to.

I never could either for years. They finally let me when I weighed 108 lbs.

Then I donated once when pregnant with DD with the extra weight. However with a normal BP of 100/60 for many years, my BP would drop to about 70/40 after giving blood and scare the crap out of the phlebotomist. I was fully conscious but she took my BP and was ready to call an ambulance.

Needless to say, although now over the weight minimum a little, I'm VERY careful giving blood.

janetupnorth said:
I never could either for years. They finally let me when I weighed 108 lbs.

Then I donated once when pregnant with DD with the extra weight. However with a normal BP of 100/60 for many years, my BP would drop to about 70/40 after giving blood and scare the crap out of the phlebotomist. I was fully conscious but she took my BP and was ready to call an ambulance.

Needless to say, although now over the weight minimum a little, I'm VERY careful giving blood.

I've had my share of health issues so I just keep what little blood I have to myself since no one will take it :) DH and DS donate though.

How old do you have to be to donate? the above post said ds so now I'm curious. I know that I donated in high school it was a very cool thing for me to do and now everytime I donate, the finger stick is never enough for me to go and actually give.:( I haven't given up though. Almost everytime I see a blood truck, I stop.

I can't donate. I was successful 1 time out of attempts and I had to run 3 laps to get my BP up. It takes me 30 mins to get to the Blood center to get turned away. I hate the requirements because I know my body is capable of handling it. As for weight. I am 107, but they don't weigh me. They go by my word.

PampMomof3 said:
How old do you have to be to donate? the above post said ds so now I'm curious. I know that I donated in high school it was a very cool thing for me to do and now everytime I donate, the finger stick is never enough for me to go and actually give.:( I haven't given up though. Almost everytime I see a blood truck, I stop.

I believe it is 17 yrs. old.

merego said:
I can't donate blood, sime silly weight requirement, which I think is a dumb rule :(

Hey, you can have some of mine!!

Teresa, if your son needs anything - please let me know. I would be happy to help as much as I can. I have room in my house and have plenty of food if they need something. I have some frozen water bottles and an ice maker. I am checking with co-workers to see if they need it but if he needs anything like water or ice, please have him contact me.

Since I am having issues with making cell phone calls but not with the house phone. It seems better for me to recieve calls from outside the city area (even on local cell phones). Anyway, you can call or have him call me at (281) 550-3861 or send me an e-mail through here.

Kim,
Thanks, they are headed back this morning. they have been told to check in at the university at noon. We told them to take cases of water from Corpus
I have written down your phone # so you may delete that part from your post for your safety.How close are you to the University? He lives in Cullen Oaks We are assuming their apartment is ok, not sure if the electricity went off but that will probably be his only issue the fridge. He had just been shopping on Wed and bought shrimp, shark and tilapia and he always has chicken. I'm glad you are safe.

1. How can I donate to help those affected by Hurricane Ike?

To donate to Hurricane Ike relief efforts, you can visit the American Red Cross website or contact your local Red Cross chapter. You can also donate to other reputable organizations such as the Salvation Army or Feeding America.

2. Are there any specific items that are needed for donations?

Yes, there are several items that are in high demand for donations during Hurricane Ike relief efforts. These include non-perishable food items, bottled water, hygiene products, and cleaning supplies. You can check with local organizations to see what specific items they are accepting.

3. Can I volunteer to help with hurricane relief efforts?

Yes, there are many opportunities to volunteer and help those affected by Hurricane Ike. You can contact organizations such as the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or local food banks to inquire about volunteer opportunities.

4. How can I help if I am unable to physically volunteer or donate?

If you are unable to volunteer or donate, there are still ways you can help those affected by Hurricane Ike. You can spread awareness by sharing information on social media or with friends and family. You can also consider hosting a fundraiser or donating money to reputable organizations.

5. Is there anything else I can do to help those affected by Hurricane Ike?

Aside from donating or volunteering, you can also offer your support and kindness to those in your community who may have been affected by the hurricane. This can include checking in on neighbors, offering to help with tasks, or simply lending a listening ear to those who may need it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kitchenqueen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
bbauman07
Replies
Views
nicki25
  • jcsmilez
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies