• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Helpful Tips for Buying Veggies: Sonia's Story

In summary, to know which vegetables are in season, check your local farmer's market or grocery store for a section dedicated to seasonal produce or ask a produce associate for help. To ensure freshness, look for vibrant colors and firm textures, avoid wilted or discolored vegetables, and buy local and in season. Whether to buy organic is a personal choice, but it is important to wash and peel vegetables if not buying organic. To save money, buy in season and in bulk, look for sales or discounts, and consider buying frozen vegetables. Store vegetables in the refrigerator in airtight containers or plastic bags, and wash and dry them before storing to prevent spoilage.
Sonia_J
I wanted to start on some recipies this weekend to break in my new kit. I was making my shopping list when I realized..

I realized tho that I know NOTHING about buying veggies and how long they keep! I never really buy veggies other than baby carrots and a tomoatoe now and then.
I try and look like I know what I'm doing... I squeeze and smell and thump... but I have no idea what I'm really what i'm smelling, squeezing, thumping for!

Does anyone have any veggie helpfful tips??!! my mother isn't the grocery shopper in the family so she wasn't helpful at all!!

Thanks!
Sonia

I went to Google.com and typed in "How do I choose fresh vegetables?" and it sent me to the following site.

www.ehow.com/how_109741_choose-fresh-produce.html

There is an alphabetical list of veggies and what to look for when purchasing. Good luck.

Fabulous!!that's awesome!!

thank you!!!

That will be great for my booth at the women's night out thing the hospital is hosting next month, they are talking about in the newspaper about how they are going to have lots of info on healthy choices and such, and I was trying to figure out something good to put on a flier to pass out with my info on it, maybe a recipe out of the it's good for you cookbook also. Thanks a million! :D

1. How do I know which vegetables are in season?

The best way to know which vegetables are in season is to check your local farmer's market or grocery store. They will usually have a section dedicated to seasonal produce, or you can ask a produce associate for help.

2. How can I ensure that the vegetables I am buying are fresh?

To ensure freshness, look for vegetables with vibrant colors and firm textures. Avoid wilted or discolored vegetables, as these are signs of being past their prime. Also, try to buy vegetables that are in season and locally grown for the freshest options.

3. Should I buy organic vegetables?

It is ultimately a personal choice whether to buy organic or not. However, keep in mind that organic vegetables are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides or fertilizers, which can be harmful to both the environment and human health. If buying organic is not an option, make sure to thoroughly wash and peel your vegetables before consuming.

4. How can I save money when buying vegetables?

Buying vegetables in season and in bulk can help save money. You can also look for sales or discounts at your local grocery store or farmer's market. Another tip is to buy frozen vegetables, which are often cheaper than fresh and still contain the same nutrients.

5. What is the best way to store vegetables to keep them fresh?

Different vegetables require different storage methods. Generally, it is best to store vegetables in the refrigerator in airtight containers or plastic bags. Some vegetables, like onions and potatoes, should be stored in a cool, dark place. It is important to also wash and dry your vegetables before storing them to prevent spoilage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • babywings76