• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help With the "Downtime" During a Show

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of talking while performing tasks in a cooking show, and suggestions are given to overcome this, such as allowing guests to prepare the recipe and talking about the benefits of the products while demoing. Other techniques, such as talking about what you are doing in the kitchen, using "Did you know" cards, and involving guests in the conversation, are also suggested to keep the conversation flowing.
Cooking_Mama
Ok so I've found I'm struggling a bit with a certain timeframe in my show. I can introduce myself, describe what we are making and start at it. But while I'm cutting or chopping I'm finding I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm just having a problem doing two things at once?? lol

I have described the product or done one of the go around the room and introduce yourself and fav PC product. But I'm wondering if I actually had the guests using the tools if that would change and I could describe what they are doing while they are doing it.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

:)

I think it is better to allow the guests to prepare the recipe. Makes it easier to talk and focus on the benefits of the tools, and they get to try it before you buy it. It's more fun that way too.

I always say.....I know how to make this recipe, and I want to be sure you can recreate it at home too.....

Cooking_Mama said:
Ok so I've found I'm struggling a bit with a certain timeframe in my show. I can introduce myself, describe what we are making and start at it. But while I'm cutting or chopping I'm finding I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm just having a problem doing two things at once?? lol

I have described the product or done one of the go around the room and introduce yourself and fav PC product. But I'm wondering if I actually had the guests using the tools if that would change and I could describe what they are doing while they are doing it.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

:)

I've also found that I struggle with talking and doing. Interaction does help with this. I also try to review the recipe and find steps that are boring to watch and prep it ahead.

I'm like Holly - I do a ton of prep work ahead. So, if I have a pepper that needs to be cut - I cut most of it ahead, and just leave a small amount to demo. Or, if the recipe calls for a dozen eggs...I make sure they are cracked and in the bowl before the show.

Then, I talk about the benefits of the products while I'm demoing - and I ask questions. "Who here has knives that they absolutely LOVE?"
Who has a PC knife?
What do you love about it?
Do you know that a dull knife not only doubles your time in the kitchen, it's also the most dangerous tool you have in your kitchen?", etc.....

I trained my new consultants to talk about what they are doing in the kitchen as they are waiting for their kit. I explained that it's not easy for most people to talk while they cook. So, whether they are getting ice from the freezer, pouring milk into cereal, or preparing dinner, they are to talk about what they are doing. I tell them that their family may think they're nuts, but those new consultants who do it, find their first shows much easier.

So, "I'm gently pouring this beautiful, white milk into my plastic bowl of yummy Wheaties". You get the idea.

It really does pay off...

HTH!

Great ideas!! Thanks so much :)

Make up "Did you know........." cards. They can say whatever you want them to say. IE - Did you know that most hosts get at least $100 in FREE products, Did you know.....that a host can become CEO of his/her very own business with as little as little as a $115 investment? Did you know..........that I typically earn $100-$200 every time I do a show? etc, etc

make a bunch of them, laminate them and hand them out when you are doing your intro - then when things get slow call on someone to share their card. It gets conversation going and people asking questions about what you want them to talk about.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

pcsharon1 said:
Make up "Did you know........." cards. They can say whatever you want them to say. IE - Did you know that most hosts get at least $100 in FREE products, Did you know.....that a host can become CEO of his/her very own business with as little as little as a $115 investment? Did you know..........that I typically earn $100-$200 every time I do a show? etc, etc

make a bunch of them, laminate them and hand them out when you are doing your intro - then when things get slow call on someone to share their card. It gets conversation going and people asking questions about what you want them to talk about.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

Good reminder! I forgot I had these - maybe these will help!

Attachments

• Did You Know cards.doc
    20 KB · Views: 620
Like Nicole said, practice talking while doing things when you're at home. Many of the recordings I've listened to suggest using that kind of time to tell your story. If you practice your story over and over again, you'll be able to tell it without having to pay attention to the story. And on the flip side, if you know your recipe inside and out, you won't have to concentrate too much on what you're doing.So I guess it just boils down to practice! :D

I only do the interactive shows. No chairs, just everyone standing around the kitchen table and interacting. It goes MUCH easier when the guests are part of the show vs. watching the show. If I have 10 or more guests, we split them up and do two recipes. The show with 22 guests, we did 3 recipes. :)

a few years back I got the book "How to crack an Egg" it has over 1400 kitchen and food tips in there. At first I made up some simple cards to have...now the tips have become my regular demo routine...I change them up and there's always new info...get a book like this, or googlle kitchen or cooking tips,,,you could spend all day looking at these ideas,,,now people come up to me that were at my shows and say" remember me, I was at your cooking class! and you told us,,,

when there's downtime, I just ask "who has a favorite PC product we haven't talked about yet." That usually gets them talking and fills the time. So if Lois says "I love the Food Chopper" I ask her--what do you use it for (and throw in other uses), is it easy to use, is it easy to clean, would you recommend it to everyone here.I did this just last night while cutting up a gazillion strawberries for Strawberry Cream Trifle!

What are some fun activities to do during downtime at a Pampered Chef show?

During downtime at a Pampered Chef show, you can play games such as "Guess the Ingredient" or "Kitchen Trivia" with your guests. You can also offer a cooking demonstration or let guests sample some of the products.

How can I keep guests engaged during downtime at a Pampered Chef show?

One way to keep guests engaged during downtime is to have them help with prep work for the next recipe or encourage them to browse the product catalog and make a wish list. You can also ask for their feedback or suggestions on recipes or products.

Are there any tips for managing downtime during a Pampered Chef show?

It's important to have a plan in place for downtime during a show. This could include having a backup recipe to make if there is extra time, or having a list of discussion topics or questions to keep the conversation going.

Can I offer special deals or promotions during downtime at a Pampered Chef show?

Yes, downtime is a great opportunity to offer special deals or promotions for your guests. You can offer discounts on specific products or bundle deals for multiple items. This can help increase sales and keep guests engaged during the show.

What are some ways to make downtime at a Pampered Chef show more interactive?

You can make downtime more interactive by involving guests in the cooking process, such as having them help chop vegetables or mix ingredients. You can also encourage them to share their own cooking tips or favorite recipes with the group.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The Pickler
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • quiverfull7
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
luckystar
  • LeighPC