• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Disaster in the Kitchen: My DCB Chicken Disaster!

In summary, the individual used their DCB to cook a chicken in the microwave but it did not turn out well. Despite following the directions and cooking for 30 minutes, the chicken was still pink inside and needed an additional 25 minutes to cook. However, the chicken ended up being dry and the individual is discouraged from using the DCB again, especially at parties. They reached out for help and were advised to cover the chicken while cooking and let it sit for 10-15 minutes after cooking. They were also reminded to be careful when checking the temperature and to make sure the thermometer is not touching any bones. It was suggested that the chicken may have been partially frozen, causing it to take longer to cook. It was also
naekelsey
Gold Member
I finally took out my DCB yesterday and used it. Could not wait to cook a chicken in the microwave!!!

Well, it didn't go so well. I followed the directions and cooked it for 30 minutes. The chicken was only a 4.5 lbs. Once the 30 minutes was up I put the thermometer in and it read over 180 (and I did stick it in the biggest portion) so I took it out and started cutting, the chicken was still pink. So I put it in for another 15 minutes. Checked it again and again it read over 180. So started cutting again... Getting closer to the bone there was lots of blood. So back in for 10 minutes. After all that time it was finally done but seriously dry!! (and I know it's because it was cut open so all the juices had flowed out)

I am so discouraged to do this again or even at a party...This was what I was going to do at my parties next month to go with the host special of stones. I can't see cooking a chicken for 55 minutes at parties.

Can someone help me with this? What did I do wrong?

naekelsey said:
I finally took out my DCB yesterday and used it. Could not wait to cook a chicken in the microwave!!!

Well, it didn't go so well. I followed the directions and cooked it for 30 minutes. The chicken was only a 4.5 lbs. Once the 30 minutes was up I put the thermometer in and it read over 180 (and I did stick it in the biggest portion) so I took it out and started cutting, the chicken was still pink. So I put it in for another 15 minutes. Checked it again and again it read over 180. So started cutting again... Getting closer to the bone there was lots of blood. So back in for 10 minutes. After all that time it was finally done but seriously dry!! (and I know it's because it was cut open so all the juices had flowed out)

I am so discouraged to do this again or even at a party...This was what I was going to do at my parties next month to go with the host special of stones. I can't see cooking a chicken for 55 minutes at parties.

Can someone help me with this? What did I do wrong?

ok....
Did you cover it?
What wattage is your MW?
You have to let it sit for at least 15 minutes after its done.
This goes for any poultry....HTH

One thing to be careful of when you check the temp is that you aren't touching any bone with the thermometer.

Yes, you need to check where you put the thermometer, you need to cook uncovered, then cover for 10-15 minutes, and your microwave needs to have enough power.

BUT sounds like the chicken was still partially frozen to me. If the inside is still partly frozen it will take a lot longer.

It wasn't frozen. I did use the cover while in the microwave. I did let it sit for a little bit but can't remember if it was for 10 or 15 minutes. I only hit meat, really made sure of that.

naekelsey said:
It wasn't frozen. I did use the cover while in the microwave. I did let it sit for a little bit but can't remember if it was for 10 or 15 minutes. I only hit meat, really made sure of that.

And your MW has a turn table?

Yes it does..

Dear frustrated chef,I am so sorry to hear about your DCB chicken disaster! I can imagine how discouraging and frustrating that must have been for you.Firstly, I want to commend you for trying out the DCB and for following the directions. It sounds like you did everything correctly, so I'm not sure what could have gone wrong. However, there are a few things that could potentially cause the chicken to turn out dry and pink.One possibility is that your microwave's power may be different than the one used in the recipe, which could affect the cooking time. Also, make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature, as different parts of the chicken may cook at different rates.Another factor to consider is the size and shape of your chicken. A 4.5 lb chicken may require a longer cooking time than what the recipe calls for, especially if it is thicker or has more bone-in portions. It's always a good idea to check for doneness by using a meat thermometer, rather than relying solely on the recommended cooking time.Lastly, it's important to let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it. This allows the juices to redistribute and will result in a juicier chicken.I understand your hesitation to use the DCB at parties after this experience, but please don't let this discourage you. The DCB is a wonderful tool for cooking quick and delicious meals, and with a little practice and some troubleshooting, I'm sure you will have success with it in the future.If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I am here to support you and help you make the most out of your DCB. Keep cooking and don't give up! You've got this.Best regards,
Pampered Chef Consultant

1. What caused the disaster with the DCB chicken?

The most common cause of the disaster is not properly following the recipe instructions and overcooking the chicken. It is important to monitor the cooking time and temperature closely to ensure the chicken is cooked to perfection.

2. How can I prevent my DCB chicken from drying out?

To prevent dry chicken, it is important to marinate the chicken before cooking and to baste it with liquid throughout the cooking process. You can also cover the chicken with foil or a lid while it cooks to retain moisture.

3. Can I use a different type of meat with the DCB?

Yes, the DCB can be used with a variety of meats, such as pork or beef. However, cooking times and temperatures may need to be adjusted depending on the type of meat you are using.

4. How do I clean my DCB after the disaster?

Cleaning the DCB is simple and easy. Let it cool down completely before washing it with warm, soapy water. You can also use a non-abrasive sponge or brush to remove any leftover food particles. Make sure to dry the DCB thoroughly before storing it.

5. Can I salvage the chicken after a disaster?

Depending on the severity of the disaster, you may be able to salvage the chicken by cutting off any burnt or dry parts and adding a sauce or gravy to add moisture. However, it is always best to follow the recipe instructions carefully to avoid disasters in the first place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • Mariaandcassy
  • Products and Tips
Replies