1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Help with stoneware!

1. Wendyss

Wendyss Member Gold Member

Hi, I am just starting the business and was asked a question that I couldn't answer and told her I would see if I could find out the answer. Here is what happened. She left a stone in the oven and her boyfriend turned on the broiler not knowing it was in there and now she said it is very black. She doesn't know what to do - use it, clean it , season it or throw it away. Has anyone had that experience?

Mar 8, 2006
  2. tiffanypc05

tiffanypc05 Advanced Member

just a thought

well i have never heard of that but maybe the oils that were on it just made it turn black because of the heat....i'm not sure if that makes since but i know when the stones get very seasoned they turn black....so maybe it's just seasoned....

Mar 8, 2006
  3. TinasKitchen

TinasKitchen Advanced Member

it may help

I dont know but I heard of cleaning a stone w/ the baking soda and water solution.. maybe this will help clean it up some? Is it still under warranty?

Mar 8, 2006
  4. I don't what to say either. I did have a customer who doesn't like her stones to be black or even brown.......does not like it to be seasoned at all..............I know ;) ....I told her that is the way it should be.......but anyhow she loves the stones---just doesn't like them to be brown.........So she told me she puts them in the oven on clean cycle and they look like brand new...........I have never tried it, and don't plan it. ;) ......I would be worried that it would get to hot and brake them, but she said she does it once a month........and says after the clean cycle it looks like when she got them brand new........
    You could suggest it to her.......but like I said I have NOT done this.

Mar 8, 2006
  5. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

the home office says not to put your stone through the oven cleaning cycle. My mom leaves her stone in the oven all the time. When she is cooking something in a pan she places it on top of her stone. The stone is suppose to be black. Is it slick? That would mean it is seasoned. If she had it in the oven and it got turned on she would get the same results.

Mar 8, 2006
  6. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Your mom is very lucky that her stone hasn't cracked. It is not recommended to put any pan on top of a stone. You can leave the stone in the bottom rack of the oven when using the top rack but should never put a pan on top of a stone.

Stones should never be put through the oven cleaning cycle or under the broiler. The person how had the pan in the oven with the broiler going is also luck. As far as the stone turning black that is your ultimate goal! That means it is totally seasoned! It should get dark after repeated use and very smooth! No more nead to oil the pan at all once it's at that point.

Mar 8, 2006
  7. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

My mom's stone is not PC. She got it before I was selling. I forgot where she got it, but it was from a home party. She doesn't leave her PC stones in the oven. The person who sold her this stone told her putting a pan on top of the stone...usually an aluminum throw away pan...would help the food cook at an even temperature.

Mar 8, 2006
  8. tiffanypc05

tiffanypc05 Advanced Member

how crazy is this...

this lady that attends shows very often also does not like her stones seasoned. she will only cook something if she has parchment paper on her stone. i explained to her that the point of using the stoneware is to season it but she doesn't get it...oh yeh and by the way my aunt just signed up to sell pc today and she's so excited but anyways she has the rec. stone and she cooked something on it(she doesn't remeber what it was) but it made the stone sticky. i told her it was just probably the oils off of whatever food she cooked on it...does anyone have a clue?

Mar 8, 2006
  9. RachelNguyen

RachelNguyen Guest

Baking soda will take the stickyness away!

I made the asiago cheese crisps and discovered that asiago is a very oily cheese... so I just sprinkled baking soda on the stone while I was cleaning it with a brush and it is not sticky at all.

Mar 9, 2006
  10. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

She might have used one of the commercial cooking sprays on it. The chemical in them causes that stickiness on stones and cookware.

Mar 9, 2006
  11. I Have the Tools

I Have the Tools Member

Oh my! Throw it away?!!! Tell her you'll take it. LOL

No advice on how to 'unseason' a stone, basically that's what they're wanting to do. Doesn't make sense to me though.

I'm sorry I have to kind of chuckle at my sister in law who totally loves Pampered Chef, but she keeps her stones in their boxes, and uses them, then puts them away again. My stones have often found their home in the oven. I have left one in there on the rack I'm not using and it has helped season it. Never do I sit a pan or an entree on top of the stone though.

Kris

Have something to add?