• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Help Making Non-Sticky Rice in a Rice Cooker?

In summary, there have been reports of plastic burning and fire hazards when using long-cooking stove rice in the Pampered Chef rice cooker. The directions and the cooker itself should have more prominent warnings about only using instant rice. For non-sticky rice, it is recommended to use parboiled rice with a ratio of 1 1/2 cups rice to 2 1/2 cups water, microwaved for 10 minutes.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I can't find rice in the store with micro inst. Like the use and care says. I am getting super sticky rice when I use the inexpensive bagged long grain rice. Any ideas?

I usually buy the regular long grain (whether it states microwave or not), and do 1 part rice and 2 parts liquid. I zap it for 15 minutes, high power and let it sit for 2-3 minutes before opening. Works perfectly for me. HTH

For white rice, I use 1 part rice and 2 parts water; microwave on high for 5 minutes, then half power for 15.

I do what Ann does and it always turns out great

Brown rice is same ratio but 30 minutes on high

I do what Ann does. I absolutely LOVE the rice cooker!

chefann said:
For white rice, I use 1 part rice and 2 parts water; microwave on high for 5 minutes, then half power for 15.

this is exactly what I do and it comes our sticky and gloppy every time! My first rice cooker cooked it perfectly (don't ask what I did to that one :( ). I just do not get it?

Re: help with rice cooker pluss (PLEASE READ ASAPI RECEIVED THIS FROM A CUSTOMER OF MINE THE OTHER DAY...I HAVE ALREADY FORWARDED IT TO PC...A MUST READ FOR THOSE OF YOU USING THE RICE COOKER FOR LONG GRAIN RICE..SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THERE!

Hi. My name is ________and I'm on your mailing list. I'm writing to you about a product I purchased at a party you hosted last year. I want you to know that this isn't a complaint but a letter of much concern. I bought the rice cooker and used it many times with great success. A week ago, I used it again this time placing brown rice in it (not the instant kind). I placed it in the microwave and came back in the kitchen about 7 minutes later to a room full of smoke and the horrible smell of plastic burning. I opened the microwave and much to my horror, the rice cooker lid was melting into the rice cooker. My smoke alarms then kept going off and I had to open my windows, in the middle of winter, to clear the smoke. I believe that a minute later, my microwave would have caught on fire. I immediately tossed my rice cooker into the trash, after dousing it with water. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but hindsight is 20/20. I was trying to get the smoke out of my house at that point.

After the fact, I dug out the pamphlet that came with it which says to only use rice with microwave directions. After my experience, this should be in bold, dark, underlined print with a huge "POSSIBLE FIRE HAZARD" if long-cooking stove rice is used. The long grain brown rice I used obviously soaked up all the water very quickly and started burning in less than 7 minutes. I'm glad I came to my kitchen when I did. The smell lingered in my house for almost a week, despite airing it out as best as possible during the middle of winter and going through many candles and air fresheners. I also had to buy a new microwave. There was burnt plastic stuck to bottom of it and a brown residue in the vents. I wasn't going to take any more chances.

I realize that this is user error and I'm not asking for anything to be replaced. I am asking though that you please forward this letter to the appropriate people at Pampered Chef. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would use long-cooking rice in the rice cooker. This is a great fire hazard and more obvious warning signs about using instant rice only should be placed in the directions and on the rice cooker itself. I would hate to see this happen to anyone else, especially with a worse outcome. Please email me back or call me directly if you have any questions. I greatly appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank you,

If you want non sticky rice, you should use a parboiled rice like Uncle Bens. I got a big 5lb bag of generic parboiled rice from sams for under $5. I used 1 1/2 cups of rice with just over 2 1/2 cups of water. Microwaved for 10 minutes and it was great. Don't forget your salt too.

1. What is the capacity of the Rice Cooker Plus?

The Rice Cooker Plus has a capacity of 3 cups when measuring uncooked rice, and can yield up to 6 cups of cooked rice.

2. Can I use the Rice Cooker Plus for other types of grains?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus can be used for a variety of grains such as quinoa, bulgur, and couscous. Just follow the recommended measurements and cooking instructions for each type of grain.

3. How long does it take to cook rice in the Rice Cooker Plus?

The cooking time varies depending on the type and amount of rice being cooked. However, on average, it takes about 20 minutes to cook white rice and 40 minutes for brown rice.

4. Is the Rice Cooker Plus dishwasher safe?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup. However, we recommend hand washing the inner pot to prolong its lifespan.

5. Can I use the Rice Cooker Plus to steam vegetables?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus comes with a steamer basket that allows you to steam vegetables while cooking rice. This is a great time-saving feature for making healthy and delicious meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • NewDirectorKaren
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KimoMakano
  • kkimpinski