• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help with OLD PC Recipe - Apple Nut Ring

Jennie50

Oct 31, 2011
I have a host for a brunch tomorrow morning, who is stuck on me making an Apple Nut Ring...apparently she has been a PC lover for years, and a consultant friend of hers made this a long time ago.

Still new, trying to accomodate the hosts as much as possible, so I agreed to try. Gonna make it for my family tonight, but I'm stumped. Pasted the recipe below and was planning to make it in the fluted pan, thinking it'd be kinda like monkey bread. But in looking closer at the recipe, it doesn't call for chunking up the biscuits. Also, I got one package of grands biscuits that is twice the volume of the two smaller packages the recipe calls for. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to look like? Should I peel the layers of the Grands biscuits in half to create multiple layers of them? Or should I chunk 'em like monkey bread? Confused as to if the apples should be on the outside of the ring when you dump it on a platter. Should I oil the pan so it doesn't stick?? Ugh, I so wish I'd just told her "no, let's stick with the recipes I'm familiar with."

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Apple Nut Ring

Ingredients:
2 packages (7.5 ounces each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 medium Granny Smith apples
1/3 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate biscuits. In Classic Batter Bowl, microwave butter on HIGH 30-45 seconds or until melted. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip biscuits in butter; roll in sugar mixture. Arrange biscuits in an overlapping circular pattern in Deep Dish Baker.
Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer Slicer. Cut slices in half crosswise with Utility Knife. Place an apple slice between each biscuit and around outer edge of baker. Grate nuts using Deluxe Cheese Grater fitted with coarse grating drum. Mix nuts with any remaining sugar mixture; sprinkle over top.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown. Serve warm using Mini-Serving Spatula.
Yield: 10 servings or 20 sample servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 230, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 12.5 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 50 mg, Fiber 1 g

Cook’s Tips: Pantry Korintje Cinnamon can be substituted for ground cinnamon, if desired

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
It was made in the Deep Dish Baker, which was a round, flat bottomed stone, kind of a larger version of the mini baker, but higher walls. So I'm not sure if it'll work right in the fluted stone. You could tell the host that this recipe uses older products that have been discontinued, so you'd rather do something that could utilize the products you do own. ;)

Jennie50

Oct 31, 2011
P.S. Has anyone tried Cinnamon Plus with it, rather than cinnamon? Same amt as reg cinnamon?

Jennie50

Oct 31, 2011
It was made in the Deep Dish Baker, which was a round, flat bottomed stone, kind of a larger version of the mini baker, but higher walls. So I'm not sure if it'll work right in the fluted stone. You could tell the host that this recipe uses older products that have been discontinued, so you'd rather do something that could utilize the products you do own. ;)

Yeah, I should have, but at this point, the party is tomorrow. I made one up and have it in the oven, so I'll see how it turns out. Anyone have an alternative recipe (with similar flavors) as a back-up plan, if it bombs? I'm making breakfast burritos in the DCB as the main recipe, but she really wanted this ring too...

chefa

Advanced Member
Jul 21, 2009
Do you have the med or large bar pan? That might work; sides aren't as high, but I think if you cut the biscuits in half, roll them in the cinnamon sugar mix, place side by side and insert an apple slice between them it might work plus halving the biscuits will stretch it out to fill up the pan.

Jennie50

Oct 31, 2011
So, I just cut the Grands biscuits in half (like you would break open a biscuit to put jam on it), then dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar. I just layered them in the fluted stone, with apples between each layer, and some on the outside, along the edge of the pan. Actually turned out really pretty and tasty! The ring was a lil' "short," so for tomorrow, I'm going to try 1 1/2 or 2 cans of biscuits, and increase the apples to three. Will also double the butter and cinnamon sugar mixture so there's lots of gooey goodness. Not usually a fan of monkey bread or canned rolls/biscuits, but my kids loved it and if it makes the host happy...

chefa

Advanced Member
Jul 21, 2009
I'd cut them in half so you end up with 2 half moon shapes, put the in pan cut side down with apple slices between biscuit halves. Does that make sense? That way they're not quite so "biscuit-y".

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
Glad you were able to get it to be a success! :) Sorry about my earlier advice...I read your post too fast and it didn't register that you said your party was for tonight. :blushing:

Good luck! Hope it goes well and your host appreciates your efforts! (And it's a second recipe, too! Try to prep as much as you can ahead so you aren't flustered during the party and so it doesn't take too long. Once you get talking, time flies by!) ;)