• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should We Name Our Baby? Need Suggestions!

my daughter's middle name was my grandmother's first name...son's middle name is my husband's middle name).
WLMcCoy
I'm due June 26 w/ baby #2. DH & I can not agree, or even come close to agreeing, on a name for boy or girl. We're not finding out the sex of this baby. We didn't w/ our daughter & loved the 'surprise' at birth. This means we need a boy name & girl name picked out, I'm only about 1/2 way through my pregnancy, but I hate waiting last minute to find a name we both agree on.
We like uncommon names, but not completely strange or awkward names. My daughter's name is Liberty Ray (sometimes just Libby) & my nephews are Rider, Bodee, & Kreed. We had Coy picked out for a boy (my maiden name is McCoy) when I was pregnant 3 years ago, but we've just grew out of it since then.
If this one is a boy, his middle name will most likely be Lee b/c DH & I's dads' & grandfathers' middle names are all Lee. Daughter's middle name will probably be Noelle after my mom.
I've found the best names comes from other people's ideas & suggestions! So bring them on!!

TIA!!

My first thought was Leonard (as in Dr. McCoy of Star Trek)...I realize that is probably not what you're looking for, but that's what I thought of!!!

How about Jalie Noelle for a girl which you could play with the spelling and maybe spell it Jalee to get Lee in there.

Girls: Kyla, Kennedy, McCall

Boy: Maddox, Gray,

Just some thoughts! I love naming babies.

Yay for picking out middle names first! We did that with our kids (my daughter's middle name was my grandmother's first name...son's middle name is my husband's middle name). It makes things easier and harder at the same time. :)

Hmmm. Given the fact that you want uncommon (but not completely "out there"), I like Bekah Noelle or Kyra Noelle for a girl and Mason Lee or River Lee for a boy. I don't know what your married last name is (since you said McCoy is your maiden), so that would also be something to factor in...if the name sounds "right" all together.

Whatever you choose, please be sure to check on a few things:

Do the initials spell anything unfortunate? There are a lot of SAPs, S-O-Bs, and DIPs out there.

Does the first initial with last name look okay? I love the Dilbert cartoon where a woman asks if her work email can deviate from the standard firstinitial/last name format. After she leaves the boss says, "That Brenda Utthead is such a whiner." Same goes for first initial/middle initial/last name combo.

I've spent a lot of years in personnel and payroll. There are some really unfortunate combinations out there.

raebates said:

Do the initials spell anything unfortunate? There are a lot of SAPs, S-O-Bs, and DIPs out there.

Does the first initial with last name look okay? I love the Dilbert cartoon where a woman asks if her work email can deviate from the standard firstinitial/last name format. After she leaves the boss says, "That Brenda Utthead is such a whiner." Same goes for first initial/middle initial/last name combo.

I've spent a lot of years in personnel and payroll. There are some really unfortunate combinations out there.

Too funny! I actually did this when I was naming my kids but I was looking for combo's like ABC but never came up with cool ones. Just my husband has a cool one AAA.

I'm no good with boy names but for girls maybe Madison, Noelle (my daughters name), Mia.

ETA: I just re read your post and didn't see that you had already chose Noelle for a middle name!! ;)

raebates said:

So funny!! I would love to see some of those combos!!
I am VERY careful about that actually.. I went to school w/ a boy w/ initials F-A-G & a girl w/ A-S-S..
My last name now is Kirk.. So I think the only combinations I really need to stay away from are K-K & F-U..

One of my PC customer's name is Sheryl Ferrell. She married a Ferrell, but that name always stuck w/ me. Thought it was cute!

sklay723 said:
Yay for picking out middle names first! We did that with our kids (my daughter's middle name was my grandmother's first name...son's middle name is my husband's middle name). It makes things easier and harder at the same time. :)

Hmmm. Given the fact that you want uncommon (but not completely "out there"), I like Bekah Noelle or Kyra Noelle for a girl and Mason Lee or River Lee for a boy. I don't know what your married last name is (since you said McCoy is your maiden), so that would also be something to factor in...if the name sounds "right" all together.

My 2 y/o middle name is Ray & DH's middle name is Ray!! I love honoring special people in our lives!!

Our last name is Phillips, so, we had all kinds of things that were out b/c of SAP, RIP, PAP, DIP, and just PP. I love Jaylie mentioned above; I've never heard that one! Good luck!

For boys I love these names: Landon, Joel, Nathan (nate), Connor, Luke

For girls: Hannah, Leah, Faryn or Taryn, and a friend was going to name her daughter Tara Renee but wasn't speaking clearly and they typed it as Tarenee, which is cute, too. I also like Selah, Sabrina, Marina, .. I think I've secretly always wanted to have twins :) so if the Lord decides to bless me with children I'll choose from these names!

Wow I didn't know how many new creative names are out there! Here's a thought - it's Jewish tradition to name a child after a relative who has passed away. Hence, DS's name is Joseph (my maternal GF) Burton (XH's paternal GF).

How about going through the Bible, especially the "begats"? You'd find a lot of unusual boy names there, especially when you get to Jacob and Joseph.

In any case, congrats and thanks for sharing your excitement :)

Some examples on what NOT to name your baby. These are actual names of children that have attended our schools:

Shitara (pronounced....just as it sounds:eek:)
Abcde (pronounced Ab cee dee)
Lemonjello (pronounced La mon jello)
Skiffington (pronounced....just as it sounds, but compaired to the ones above...it sounds very normal)

And there are many more that do not make sense to me, but their names are also common to one of their parents' country of origin.

I kid you not...these are REAL names of children.

I like Kylee Noelle.If you're going with Biblical names, then there are not that many I'd use. Haggai or Malachi are awful, for instance .... But Zachary Lee sounds good.

I vote for Olivia Noelle for a girl and Dylan Lee or Jacob Lee for a boy. However, all of those names are pretty popular (top 10 I think) - which isn't a bad thing but would make me think twice . . . I wouldn't want my child to be 1 of 4 Jacob's in 2nd grade.

Nymbler.com is a fun website that gives you suggestions based on names you like.

chef greta said:
I vote for Olivia Noelle for a girl and Dylan Lee or Jacob Lee for a boy. However, all of those names are pretty popular (top 10 I think) - which isn't a bad thing but would make me think twice . . . I wouldn't want my child to be 1 of 4 Jacob's in 2nd grade.

Nymbler.com is a fun website that gives you suggestions based on names you like.

I love the name Jacob, and that was going to be our son's name until a week before he was born. But then I read on one of the baby name sites that it was the #1 boys name for the 3rd year in a row.(and is now the #1 boys name of the decade) We felt the same way, and didn't want him to be the 4th Jacob in his class.
So, the name we agreed on was Micah - just a little different, but not crazy different...and it went well with the middle name that we were set on. Which funny enough is Lee! DH's middle name is Lee and so is my Mom's - so we wanted that. Plus we liked the Biblical meaning that went with Micah.

Now - we can't imagine having named him anything else. He's such a Micah Lee!

I've enjoyed following this thread. We picked our son's name (Shawn Michael) before we were even pregnant. As a matter of fact, it came from a discussion when we were simply dating, long before there was even a possibility of a child.

When we were expecting we considered Tauren Matthew. We'd chosen Ari Nichole for a girl. Once he arrived, though, we knew that Shawn Michael, a good, strong, Irish name was the one.

baychef said:
Some examples on what NOT to name your baby. These are actual names of children that have attended our schools:

Skiffington (pronounced....just as it sounds, but compaired to the ones above...it sounds very normal)

And there are many more that do not make sense to me, but their names are also common to one of their parents' country of origin.

Lemonjello must be common.

A friend taught in mid-Wisconsin for a year and one family had...

Lemonjello (Lamon gello)
Orangejello (Or -on - gello)
Shithead (Sha - thead)

My friends named a daughter Marcayle and I really like that one...

If you want to stay with the patriotic theme for a boy you could name him Grant Lee. :D

Some more names:Girl:Aurora
Summer
Rivers
Darcy
Darian
Ruby
Linnea
Teagan
ChloeBoy:Gabriel (Gabe)
Logan
Truman
Ashton
Parker
Stone

janetupnorth said:
Lemonjello must be common.

A friend taught in mid-Wisconsin for a year and one family had...

Lemonjello (Lamon gello)
Orangejello (Or -on - gello)
Shithead (Sha - thead)

Okay - there should be a law against that. That is just wrong.

For a girl, I'm a fan of Delaney (after a Jimmy Buffet song about a little girl playing on the beach!). I also like Sophia but it is becoming more common.

I tend to really like last names as first names, esp. last names of former presidents (Kennedy, Reagan, Carter, etc.). And no, I'm not a big history or politics person!

But I think it's cool to name a baby after someone or something, even if it's celebrity, fictional character, song, location, whatever. I was named after a character on a soap opera and it's always a good conversation piece!

chef greta said:

Ha! Sometimes it's hard to tell what a trend is going to be when the child gets in school...

When I was pregnant 6 yrs ago, my daughter was going to be named Emma. I was stuck on the name since I can remember...well....this was during the time when the TV show Friends' Rachel was pregnant and when she had her baby, you guessed it, she named her Emma. I steered away from that faster than anything! I thought long and hard about a nice sounding, professional, respectable name...my grandmother's name was Madeline. I had NEVER known a Madeline, never heard of one, etc. so...that was to be here name. Lo and behold...the year 2004 I can't imagine how many Madeline's were born! Oh, and in her kindergarten class RIGHT NOW, there's her (Madeline) Madison, and Madelena! Can you believe it!!! So what I thought was an original name really just turned out in acutality to be a regular POPULAR name! :grumpy:

Point being, choose what you like...in the end, you are going to be calling this childs name a million times in his or her life so you better make sure you LOVE it! LOL

Congrats and best of luck!

I'm with you on the the different names. I was one of 5 Ashley's in my graduating class of 100, I vowed to make my children's names unique. Ours sons name is Taeton Lee, Lee is my brother, dad and grandad's middle name and Taeton came from our sons birth name, Kavontae. I also like the boy names Titus and Tavarson. We chose to name our son and daughter after the first letter in our names so we stick with T' for boys and A's for girls. Now for girls names what about Kerrigan or Abbriella, or our daughter's name is Azariah, pronounced just like Mariah, but with an As at the begining :D!! Congrats!!

What about Landrie Noelle?My daughters are (Nichole Landrie) and (Landrie Allie). A week before my, now 10 year old, was born we had not agreed on a middle name. I was watching the movie Con Air, and saw Landry as the name of actress who played the little girl. We liked it so much,we named my second daughter's first name as her big sister's middle name. I liked the name! For six years, my daughter is the only Landrie in the state of Oregon. Our state birth records are online. You might check out your state's to see some of the names.

chef greta said:
I vote for Olivia Noelle for a girl

My really good friend is named Olivia Noelle.

The only boy name I was going to name my boy if I had one, I have 3 girls, was going to be Julian.

My kids are Luke, Nolan, Jocelyn & Jack. Luke & Jack are pretty common but we never run into other Nolan's or Jocelyn's. Help yourself to either of those! LOLGirl:
Jocelyn
Darby (LOVE this name!)
Quinnlyn
Hadley (Love this one, too!)
Tatum
Harper
Naomi
CharlotteBoy:
Nolan
Kiefer
Wyatt
Calvin
Baxter (Bax)
Dougan
Camden
Everett
Hollis

I'm going to be impartial and say..I love the name TANNER for a boy...I think Tanner Lee sounds good
My #4 and #5 are twins...Rebekka and Tanner...
I have a nephew named Keaton...I won that "name the nephew" contest back when my brother was looking for boy names.
They also have a Delaney for a girl
I have another Niece named Reagan..love that one!
My other 3 children are Kaeleigh, Cody and Taylor

chefsteph07 said:
Ha! Sometimes it's hard to tell what a trend is going to be when the child gets in school...

When I was pregnant 6 yrs ago, my daughter was going to be named Emma. I was stuck on the name since I can remember...well....this was during the time when the TV show Friends' Rachel was pregnant and when she had her baby, you guessed it, she named her Emma. I steered away from that faster than anything! I thought long and hard about a nice sounding, professional, respectable name...my grandmother's name was Madeline. I had NEVER known a Madeline, never heard of one, etc. so...that was to be here name. Lo and behold...the year 2004 I can't imagine how many Madeline's were born! Oh, and in her kindergarten class RIGHT NOW, there's her (Madeline) Madison, and Madelena! Can you believe it!!! So what I thought was an original name really just turned out in acutality to be a regular POPULAR name! :grumpy:

Point being, choose what you like...in the end, you are going to be calling this childs name a million times in his or her life so you better make sure you LOVE it! LOL

Congrats and best of luck!

I have a Madolyn too! She'll be 9 this year - I've run into other Madolyns but none with the same spelling as my daughter. It fits her completely and I can't imagine her having another name. Her middle name is Grace.

My boys names aren't that unusual - Zachary Paul and Noah John - with a last name of Miller they had to be somewhat different. My husband is John Miller - you couldn't ask for a more common name! Good luck picking one out:) We were surprised with all 3 and their names are just perfect for them.

This is our current list of baby names (and we aren't pregnant yet :) )

girl
Ruby
Ryder
Mason
Marley
Kyalee
Juilanna

boys
Ryder
Maxon
Coal
Hunter
Connor

My current favorite names with middles
girl- Ruby Madyson
Boy- Ryder Mitchell

And my two cents on the initials. When we were first first talking about baby names we chose Mitchell Matthew Montgomery and joked that when he got older the girls would call him Mmmmm :cool:

The worst name ever is Harry Dick, yes that's right Harry Dick. I have a customer with that name. What the heck were his parents thinking!!!!

We have our names picked out and have right from the beginning of this pregnancy.

If baby is a girl: Emily Grace
If baby is a boy: Alexander Michael

Our baby girl that we lost in 2008 we named her Jasmin Sky :)

baychef said:

OMG..where are you from?? not trying to hijack..I am only asking because I know of a kid here with the name of Abcde..LOL..and I have also heard the Lemonjello as well..hhmm..I have also heard of a Orangejello.

As for the question at hand..I don't have any suggestions..and I don't have any children..but I am the youngest of 5..and I know that my mom used to stand at the bottom of the stairs and yell the names that she had picked out..to see how it would sound when she was yelling at us..lol

janetupnorth said:
My friends named a daughter Marcayle and I really like that one...

If you want to stay with the patriotic theme for a boy you could name him Grant Lee. :D

Janet..I like the idea of Grant..to help her stay with a patriotic theme..and I do love the name Grant..it is strong

Abcde we have a student in our district with this name. At least everyone can spell it. How stupid! I can imagine the jokes hey abcde f*

Girl- Mikaela, McKenna, MCkenzie, Madison
Boy- Isaih, Issac, Joshua, Aiden, Colton, Cristian,

chefheidi2003 said:
OMG..where are you from?? not trying to hijack..I am only asking because I know of a kid here with the name of Abcde..LOL..and I have also heard the Lemonjello as well..hhmm..I have also heard of a Orangejello.

As for the question at hand..I don't have any suggestions..and I don't have any children..but I am the youngest of 5..and I know that my mom used to stand at the bottom of the stairs and yell the names that she had picked out..to see how it would sound when she was yelling at us..lol

I am from NY state but 60% of the students in our district are children of Fort Drum soldiers. The families originate from all over the US and the world for that matter.

Orangejello...is that with fruit or whipped topping! LOL!!

We had one family who had 3 girls...ALL named after Mom with the same name and middle initial!!! A female version of George Forman! And yes, I went to school with Bobby Roberts and there was a local student named Ryan Ryan. I have heard of Crystal Ball but can not confirm it.

lockhartkitchen said:
Abcde we have a student in our district with this name. At least everyone can spell it. How stupid! I can imagine the jokes hey abcde f*

WOW!! I am shocked that this name has been used more than once!!! EEK! Sometimes I think the dr. should slap the parents instead of the baby!!!

Ann!! You crack me up!

I love these kind of stories!

I knew a family who's last name was Rainwater (they were Irish, not American Indian) and they had daughters Crescent Moon and Autumn Mist.

I knew a girl in dance class when I was young named Taia (Taya) Rey and her mom was Ray Rey.

Our pastor's daughter's name is Christiana and she married a Justin Christian. Her married name is now Christiana Christian (she grew up going by Christy but now goes by Ana).

I have a friend who knows a Harry Zipper.

And last but definitely not least, my mother-in-law tells a (true) story about a woman who was filling out medical forms for her daughter, handed it back to the receptionist and when the receptionist asked how she pronounced the name the woman replied "Pa-jamuh, (pa sounds like the pa in pageant) I saw it in a Sears catalog and thought it was just so beautiful". The spelling? P-a-j-a-m-a

As for real names - I'm set on the name Noah Matthew for a boy (there's a tradition in our family that the first son gets the dad's name as his middle name) and I think the name Abigail Ruth for a girl. The only dilemma is that I have a close cousin named Abigail (she's 7 right now). Ruth would be after my husband's grandmother. I also love the name Micah John (John is hubby's grandfather's name) but my husband's dad and brother are Michael John so it might be enough having 2 Michaels to add a Micah. I really partial to Bible names...but there are definitely unique Bible names.

Based on the kids I work with in the nursery/preschool at church

Boys
Noah
Elijah
Weston
Joshua
Judah
Micah
Tobin (family name)
Trevor
Zachary
Jadyn (or Jaden)
Mason

Girls
Elsie
Savannah
Annabelle
Giselle
Isabella
Genovieve
Sophia
Carson
Audrey

one name I really loved or a girl was Anika prononced Aneeka. I dint name either og my girls that though because I got tons of comments about it.
My kids names are
Benjamin Jack (Jack after grandpa)
Taylor Roni (Roni ater grandma) yes Taylor is a girl
Brianna Glenn (Glenn ater me, grandma and great grandma)

I cant think of any boys names. It took us forever to figure out a boys name. Good thing we only had 1 boy

I just wrote out an invitation for a party to a lady named Kelley Kelly.

I have a host whose name is Kris, and her husband is Chris....

It just made me think to be careful when choosing a first name that it isn't a common last name, or a name that could cause confusion later on in life!

One of best friends is named Billie - and she hates her name! She says she's never gotten over the humiliation of of being placed in the boys cabin for 6th grade camp. It's good to think about how your kids will feel about their name when they are at an age where it's easy to latch on to anything to tease someone!

As a woman with a typically male name, I can understand Billie's issue. I made a lot of dads nervous when I was a teenager. Imagine that your little angel has just told you that someone named Rae is coming over the spend the night. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I just wrote out an invitation for a party to a lady named Kelley Kelly.

I have a host whose name is Kris, and her husband is Chris....

It just made me think to be careful when choosing a first name that it isn't a common last name, or a name that could cause confusion later on in life!

One of best friends is named Billie - and she hates her name! She says she's never gotten over the humiliation of of being placed in the boys cabin for 6th grade camp. It's good to think about how your kids will feel about their name when they are at an age where it's easy to latch on to anything to tease someone!

DH's name is Jamie, he has always hated it as everyone always thought he was a female. But I have a host named Jamie who said she always got put in the boy's PE class back in school. I know that we will stick clear of any "bi"gender names!

Also consider the spelling for the child and others in their life. While you make think it's cool, they may grow to hate it. My sister decided to name my niece Brieana. They put an IE in it for my sister's name (Kellie) and AN in it for my BIL's name (Andy). My niece is now 17 and to this day it either gets misprounced and misspelled all the time. The worst is our own family cannot remember how to spell her name!

I know more than one Holly Holly. :)

my husbands boss was Gay Gay

I didn't meet Harry Dick, but met Harry Butte (pronounced Beaut like Beauty) but doesn't look good on paper.

When I worked at Case Corp., Stone Wall and Jack Frost were both in my department. Jack Frost worked with Construction Equipment Parts and Stone Wall on the tractor side.

I had Alyssa Sue picked out for a second girl...1st girl is Samantha Ruth, but then realized our last name ends with S along with many others so that wouldn't work. Alyssa Marie was our next option, but luckily we had a boy next.Sammie's nickname is SammaRu sometimes. :)
Kyle is KyGuy. My SIL ALWAYS wanted to name her son Grant, but then she met and married my brother and her last name became Grant so she didn't want a Grant Grant. :)

My niece's middle name is Elise and she liked it so much she gave it to her daughter as a middle name. Another cousin did the same about the same time that Itty Bitty was born. So there's Tiffany Elise, Isabelle Elise and the cousin Lilliana Elise. Nobody in the fam has given it as a first name, however. I think Elise Noelle sounds nice.(A facebook friend took the "grade your parents" thing and bristled when it pegged her as a guy. Her name is Jessie.)

I have always liked Adrianna as a girl, it was the name we would have gone with if #4 was a girl, but we finally had a boy, Xavier.

janetupnorth said:
I didn't meet Harry Dick, but met Harry Butte (pronounced Beaut like Beauty) but doesn't look good on paper.

When I worked at Case Corp., Stone Wall and Jack Frost were both in my department. Jack Frost worked with Construction Equipment Parts and Stone Wall on the tractor side.

Once in awhile my parents would take me with them when they went on vacation to the Carolinas or Florida. I used to look for names in the phone book to see if there was anyone in the area we were in with the same last name as we had. Once when staying near D.C. I was looking in the "Z"'s. There was a name that sort of caught my eye...Lt. Harry Zipper.

I still don't get it!!! Must be many people think that these names are funny but why would you saddle your child with this???

Rae, I think that is funny about your friend's fathers being nervous...guess if they invited a boy named Sue, it would have been ok until he showed up at the door!! (some may not know that there was a song once "A boy named Sue"...by Johnny Cash I think???)

Bayleigh or Brenna for a girl
Brice or Grayson for a boy

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Poll
  • cookinmama
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
paigev71
  • jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies