• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Steaming Mad Host..how to Respond. (Long)

In summary, the hostess special this month is 60% off select stoneware/bakeware items. You can select any of the items on the hostess special flier for 60% off - limit 1 selection. The guest special for Feb. is 20% off select stoneware/bakeware items. You will get your hostess 10% discount on top of that guest special. You can also get 10% off any other items you'd like at her party.
flemings99
Gold Member
I have a host that is ticked b/c she has to have $500 in sales to get the bonus $100. She's currently at 360 and I've explained just a couple more orders could get her there. I thought I had defused her, but she just won't quit! Here's our previous correspondence and your latest e-mail. Do I respond or just let it go?

--
First off: Prior to leaving the show, she's had a great time, is telling me how wonderful I am and then I go over her benefits: 307 party so far, 3 bookings, 1 poss. recruit...so you get xxxx. She gets upset and asks what about the extra 100, so I explain that and show her the flier (which I've given her previously).

Enter the e-mails:
Hi Judy:

Thanks so much for allowing me to come to your home last night! You have a beautiful home. I enjoyed getting to know you and your friends better!

Rusty e-mailed me an order this morning. I've got your orders in the system. We're currently at 360.50 in sales. :) 3-4 orders could easliy put you at 500! When your collecting your outside orders remind them about the guest special. I've attached it for you in case you don't have it.

Thanks again!

----
Her Response:
I have some looking online, but don't know if will get anything. I hope because I thought if I got 150 in sales in january I got the extra so I am real disappointed. If I get close will buy in someone elses name to make it. otherwise I will pick something out for the 40.00.

----
My Response:
Thanks for the update. Crossing my fingers for you!

I understand your disappointment. I wish I made the rules, but unfortunately I don't. I'm attaching the host flier for Jan. in the event you have other questions about this months hostess special. You're only $140 away so really a couple extra orders can get you there.

Let me know if you have questions.

---
Her Response:
So Jennifer booked party in Feb because there is some bakeware hostess special. So she wants to know if she has to get 500.00 in retail? Also when I go to her party I get 60% off hostess thign also. So what 3 products do we get to choose from this time? I know I will get the knife from mine out og the three we had to pick from.

---
My Response:
Hi Judy:

Great questions. The hostess special is different every month. I've attached the hostess flier for you for Feb. As the booking host you can select from any of items listed on the flier for 60% off - limit 1 selection. See the fine print at the bottom for more detail. You'll also get 10% off any other items you'd like at her party. The guest special for Feb. is 20% off select stoneware/bakeware items. You will get your hostess 10% discount on top of that guest special. For example, if you get a special at 20% off as a guest, we'll take an extra 10% off the sale price for you. :) There are no limits to the number of guest specials you can purchase and no limits as to how many times you use your 10% off within the next year.

As far as the current host (Jennifer), for Feb. the requirement to get any 2 items 60% off is our party minimum $150 in guest sales. Of course based on guest sales, she'll also get free, half price, and discounted items.

Let me know if you have other questions.

---
Her Response:
Okay well I am sure she will be glad to get her hostess special with only 150.00 and not like me of 500.00.

Well, she is getting her choice of the 60% off Host Special. The extra $100 is a bonus...

Honestly I probably wont respond. At least not via email. When you close her show if it comes up again, I'd just say the host special is the 60% off item and the extra 100 was a bonus promotion. Kind of like the stoneware being on sale in feb is the guest special but there is a bonus free item for ordering over $60. Mail her a nice thank you note after all is said and done. Make sure you get in touch w the bookings and explain the feb specials to them (i wont count on her relaying the info in a nice way). Otherwise, smile and hope she gets to 500.

I would point out to her that the knife that she wants is available to her at 60% off as the MAIN host special, or she can choose the leakproof glass containers or the bamboo fiber mixing bowls. As an ADDED incentive in January they are offering the BONUS of $100 IF she reaches $500 or more in sales.

Wow! We were all typing at the same time LOL

I don't think I'd give her much response either. She apparently has already made up her mind about the situation no matter what you do. Don't waste more energy or stress on her. The flyer is VERY OBVIOUS! You have to be blind or dumb to not see that it shows $500 as the first sales level for the bonus. As long as you gave her that flyer before the show, you did your job! Granted, it never hurts to be very specific with some people- obviously.If it does come up again when you are closing things out, if you have the flyer in front of you (I'd make sure I had it when I saw her), I'd point at it and just sweetly say "I'm very sorry you misunderstood. (Point at the $500 that is nice and big on the page). All of the PC host specials are clearly written on the flyer or down here (the fine print)." And then be sure to point out what she did get.. "But you still got a great deal with $xxx in product for only $xxx, and you can still purchase ONE it at 60% off at your friend's show in February" (BE SURE to point out that she only gets ONE! We already know she can't read! ;).)I'm sorry she took the fun out of it for you, but it's HER problem. You won't be able to fix her attitude no matter how hard you try.

I would point out that the host special is actually the 60% off items at the bottom of the page, and that one of them includes her knife RIGHT NOW!. The extras $100 is a BONUS for those hosts who's shows reach $500 in sales or more.

I personally think that them putting the bonus on the top is a little misleading too...it does say at $500 in sales but people are people and going to see the big stuff first. Pampered Chef knows that, why do you think the higher priced items always have bigger pictures in the catalog?

And then if she gripes, let it go.

I wouldn't let it go, especially if you want her to host for you again. 3 possible bookings and 1 possible recruit could also be the price you pay if you don't fix this. I personally wouldn't want the reputation of being a dishonest consultant. When I had something similar happen to me I got a few outside orders from people I work with to help my host out.Now when I'm host coaching for the first time, I circle on their copy of the host special what they need to reach in order to obtain their goal. With the "Hosts get more" months I ask them, "How much extra free products would you like to earn? $100 or $200?" They usually say $200. I follow it up with "Great! Let me tell you what we need to do to get that for you!" I especially repeat myself in the "hosts get more" months. I learned that lesson the hard way and won't let it happen. I compare the host special to the Host Planner and point out that the extra doesn't hit til sales hit $500. 10-15 orders should be plenty to reach that $500. Always ask if they have any questions and assume they don't understand. As for saying that they can't read, I disagree. They don't work with the host specials as often as we do.

I agree with the ones that say to point out that she does get a 60% off item just like her friend will next month and that the $500 show BONUS is just that - a bonus for hitting $500. Tell her that they don't give that bonus every month, she's lucky to have it available in the month she booked.

I would pick up the phone and call her to see if I could help her engage in her own success. E-mail is distant and doesn't give you the opportunity to really sense where she's coming from or to excite her about the fact that she still has time to get the additional $100 in products

Try to brainstorm with her to see who she can pass a catalog to at work etc to get those additional order so that she hits the $500.

Ask her to call and or go visit her local guests who couldn't attend and call her out of towners and gather orders from them.

Give her some dialogue that is energetic e.g. "so sorry you couldn't join us in person and I don't want out to miss out on the opportunity to order a few items for yourself or as gifts for upcoming birthdays, anniversaries or weddings."

In short, a bit more coaching..... good luck

I'd probably just say (either by phone or e-mail):
I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding about the extra bonus. As stated on the flyer, you can choose 1 of the three host items [name them if you want] at 60% off. Hosts who's sales (before tax/shipping) are between $500 & $999.99 can also get an extra $100 in FREE stuff and Hosts who's sales (before tax/shipping) are $1,000 or above can get the extra $200 in FREE stuff above & beyond the regular Host Benefits.
Make sure you explain that it's the total before tax & shipping! Otherwise, you'll have her back complaining that she DID hit $500 with those added in.And if you use the phrase "sorry there was a misunderstanding" ... you are not taking blame & you are not blaming her for failure to listen. It's a neutral phrase. ;)When I explain these flyers, I point out the $150 show benefits first & then say AND IF YOU HIT THIS LEVEL, you can also get/choose from _____ or if you hit THIS level, you can get/choose from _____ too ... (as I'm pointing to the levels). Visuals always help with the lazy ones who don't like to read or listen. ;)

It sounds to me like this may have been a case of a little lack of host coaching...not judging, I know you said you showed her the flyer, etc...but esp this month, with the extra free product, I always speak to my hosts SEVERAL times about hitting $500 to get that bonus. When you see the bonus, it's true, you don't realize at first that you have to have certain amt of sales, but it is OUR job to make sure they fully understand the bonuses, benefits, etc.

And yes, the hosts DO still get their bonus. So for her to think that she's not getting anything is also incorrect. Lesson learned, in the future just make sure you go over everything when they get their host packet...esp if you know they are going for a certain level of sales.

And, I would not let it go either...she could very well get a few more orders to get her to that level..it sounds like she's not pushing hard enough and then blaming you. That's not fair to you. If she REALLY wanted that extra in free she'd do whatever it takes to get it! So, rest easy, she had time to get these orders, she should be pounding the pavement to do so! :)

Sheila said:
I'd probably just say (either by phone or e-mail):

Make sure you explain that it's the total before tax & shipping! Otherwise, you'll have her back complaining that she DID hit $500 with those added in.

And if you use the phrase "sorry there was a misunderstanding" ... you are not taking blame & you are not blaming her for failure to listen. It's a neutral phrase. ;)

When I explain these flyers, I point out the $150 show benefits first & then say AND IF YOU HIT THIS LEVEL, you can also get/choose from _____ or if you hit THIS level, you can get/choose from _____ too ... (as I'm pointing to the levels). Visuals always help with the lazy ones who don't like to read or listen. ;)

Well said Sheila!

She DOES get the host special at $150 just like her friend in Feb.

Since she's a January host she gets EXTRA $100 free if her party hits $500 guest sales. The Feb host doesn't get that bonus free product even if her Feb show hits $500.

(It sounds like she somehow thinks she's not getting credit for a $150 show)

My host got the specials flier about a week before her party and completely MISunderstood it as well. I had to explain that the items at the bottom are the Host Specials for the Month and that the BONUS SPECIAL is at the top. In a way, I think that HO does do this the wrong way. The 4 REAL host bonus items should be listed first on the flier then the PLUS should have been the additional funds. Way less confusing to the hosts. Mine was accepting after I explained it.
Your host has her mind set that she was mislead and that is a hard thing to over come. Ignore her for now. Cool off and go back in when more orders come through. Keep counting down the difference between the $500 and what she has. How long are you willing to leave the show open? That is another thing you must decide.

1. How can I handle a steaming mad host as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is important to remain calm and professional when dealing with a steaming mad host. First, try to understand the root of their frustration and listen actively to their concerns. Then, apologize for any issues they may have experienced and offer a solution or compensation if necessary. Remember to always represent the company positively and try to find a resolution that satisfies both parties.

2. What should I do if a host is angry about a product or service provided by Pampered Chef?

If a host is upset about a product or service offered by Pampered Chef, it is important to address their concerns promptly and professionally. Start by acknowledging their frustration and apologizing for any inconvenience. Then, offer to resolve the issue by replacing the product or providing a refund. If the issue cannot be resolved immediately, assure the host that you will follow up with them and keep them updated on the situation.

3. How can I prevent a host from becoming steaming mad in the first place?

The key to preventing a host from becoming steaming mad is to communicate clearly and effectively. Make sure to set realistic expectations for the party or event and provide all necessary information beforehand. Also, be responsive and available to answer any questions or concerns the host may have leading up to the event. Building a strong relationship with the host can also help prevent any potential issues from arising.

4. What if a host becomes belligerent or verbally abusive during a Pampered Chef event?

If a host becomes belligerent or verbally abusive during a Pampered Chef event, it is important to prioritize your safety and well-being. Remove yourself from the situation and seek assistance from a manager or supervisor. It is not appropriate for anyone to be treated disrespectfully, and it is important to address the issue with the host and take appropriate actions to ensure a safe and positive environment for all parties involved.

5. How can I handle a steaming mad host while still promoting Pampered Chef products?

When dealing with a steaming mad host, it is important to remember your role as a Pampered Chef consultant. While addressing their concerns and finding a resolution, also take the opportunity to showcase the benefits and value of Pampered Chef products. Share personal experiences or testimonials from other satisfied customers to help ease any tension and demonstrate the quality of the products. Remember to always remain professional and positive in your interactions with the host.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies