• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I save my tomato plant from yellow spots and blight?

In summary, the tomato plant is having yellow leaves, and it's unknown if the bucket has a drainage hole, as it's sitting in too much water. It may be helpful to drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and check the water level, as well as adding fertilizer to the plant. Trimming off the infected leaves will help the plant survive.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I'm not a gardener, never have been, never will be! But two weeks ago on a whim I bought a large tomato plant at our farmer's market. It was only $10 and already had 4 green tomatoes on it so I figured if I killed it I wasn't out that much. Last weekend I transplanted it from the pot it came in into a 5 gallon bucket. I don't know if it was having problems before I transplanted it but now I'm having yellow spots on all my leaves! I've done some online searching and discovered it is probably blight but there are so many things that it says it can be caused by (over watering, under watering, bugs, etc). I really do want to save my plant! We've picked on yummy tomato already, one is getting red and had several babies pop up over the weekend. It's been raining here a lot so I'm not sure how much water it has been getting. Please help me!

Does the bucket have a drainage hole in the bottom? It may be sitting in too much water if you have gotten alot of rain. I would probably try (with help) drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and see if there is excess water. Or a few around the sides near the bottom (just a couple). That might allow any excess water to drain off. But after that, I'd just do some research and see what you come up with. I normally have my plants in the ground, vs a pot- or if they are in a pot, it has a hole.That's probably where I'd start while I continued to research.

It has 4 large holes in the bottom - I did them myself before we replanted it.

Bummer....killed that theory. ;)It could be it is still too wet though, but at least it's not sitting in standing water on the roots.

Did you add fertilizer? Sometimes too much fertilizer will turn leaves yellow as well. All tomato plants will develop a few yellow leaves, but if they are all yellow you are definitely killing it somehow. Tomatoes like high humidity and heat in order to thrive.

and sunshine. Lots of it.

Brenda.the.chef said:
Did you add fertilizer? Sometimes too much fertilizer will turn leaves yellow as well. All tomato plants will develop a few yellow leaves, but if they are all yellow you are definitely killing it somehow. Tomatoes like high humidity and heat in order to thrive.

I just did after yesterday but it was already like that. It started off with just a few leaves - those are now dead and it has spread to other leaves. It's been hot and humid here (always is in Iowa in the summer).

There are several different kinds of blight (early, southern, late), but it is a fungal issue (although I think there's bacterial kind, too). Its spores live in the dirt, and when it rains or you water your plant, water can splash the dirt (and spores) onto the leaves, infecting the plant.

You can go to a garden center and get a copper based fungicide, and you can also make a 50/50 milk/water solution and spray that on your plant. You can make a 10% milk solution for prevention of it, but the 50/50 now that you have an infection.

Also, trim off the infected leaves, once the infection gets to the stem, the plant is a goner.

I have found a lot of help here: Helpful Gardener Garden Forum - A friendly place to chat about gardening. | HelpfulGardener.com

NooraK said:
There are several different kinds of blight (early, southern, late), but it is a fungal issue (although I think there's bacterial kind, too). Its spores live in the dirt, and when it rains or you water your plant, water can splash the dirt (and spores) onto the leaves, infecting the plant.

You can go to a garden center and get a copper based fungicide, and you can also make a 50/50 milk/water solution and spray that on your plant. You can make a 10% milk solution for prevention of it, but the 50/50 now that you have an infection.

Also, trim off the infected leaves, once the infection gets to the stem, the plant is a goner.

I have found a lot of help here: Helpful Gardener Garden Forum - A friendly place to chat about gardening. | HelpfulGardener.com
Thanks! I will give this a try tomorrow.

And for reference, this is what my tomatoes looked like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5732329126/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5731782717/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5732329372/

Last edited:
NooraK said:
And for reference, this is what my tomatoes looked like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5732329126/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5731782717/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46713538@N03/5732329372/

See mine isn't brown looking until the leaves started actually dying. For the most part it's just bright yellow spots all over my leaves.

wadesgirl said:
See mine isn't brown looking until the leaves started actually dying. For the most part it's just bright yellow spots all over my leaves.

We had early blight, so the presentation might be a bit different if you have late blight or southern blight. One of the suggestions that I keep seeing over and over again on Helpful Gardener's forums is to look up your local extension office. Just go to Google and type in your county name and "extension".

I feel for you. My Grape tomato plant has about 25 babies and this darn thunderstorm about knocked it over a few minutes ago! I had to tie it to the deck. My kids think I'm nuts since I never worried when they fell down (I'm kidding). Then again they don't have babies on the way. I hope they don't, anyway (Yikes...not kidding).

Most tomatoes are very hardy plants...and I'll add that if you paid $10 it SHOULD be! You could have pests on the plant as well. Do you see anything on the underside of the leaves? You could mix a solution of soapy water (1:10) and give it a thorough spray. My tomato plants are almost 4 feet tall and full of blooms. I'd be happy to share my crop because I know that I'm going to have more than I can use!Best of luck to you!

Brenda.the.chef said:
Most tomatoes are very hardy plants...and I'll add that if you paid $10 it SHOULD be! You could have pests on the plant as well. Do you see anything on the underside of the leaves? You could mix a solution of soapy water (1:10) and give it a thorough spray.

My tomato plants are almost 4 feet tall and full of blooms. I'd be happy to share my crop because I know that I'm going to have more than I can use!

Best of luck to you!
The $10 was because it was already planted, staked down and had tomatoes growing on it! Less work for me!

I wasn't able to do anything before due to my mom being in the hospital and my great grandma dying so today I finally had a chance to hopefully take care of this today. I cut off the affected (or is effected - pretty sure affected!) leaves and sprayed with a mix of milk and water. We'll see what happens!! It looks really scrawny now!

1. How do I know if my tomato plant is in distress?

There are a few signs that your tomato plant may be in distress. Look for yellowing or wilting leaves, brown spots on the leaves or stems, and stunted growth. You may also see pests or fungal growth on the plant.

2. What causes tomato plants to struggle?

Tomato plants can struggle for a variety of reasons, including inadequate sunlight, over or under watering, nutrient deficiencies, pests, or diseases. It's important to identify the specific issue in order to properly address it.

3. How can I save my struggling tomato plant?

The first step is to identify the cause of the plant's distress. If it's a lack of sunlight, try moving the plant to a sunnier spot. If it's over or under watering, adjust your watering schedule accordingly. If it's a nutrient deficiency, consider using a fertilizer specifically designed for tomato plants. If pests or diseases are the issue, you may need to use a pesticide or consult a professional.

4. Can I revive a dying tomato plant?

It is possible to revive a dying tomato plant, but it will depend on the severity of the issue. If the plant is severely wilted or has extensive damage from pests or diseases, it may be difficult to save. However, if caught early enough, addressing the cause of the distress and providing proper care can help revive the plant.

5. How can I prevent my tomato plant from struggling in the future?

The best way to prevent your tomato plant from struggling is to properly care for it from the beginning. This includes providing adequate sunlight, watering regularly, using the proper nutrients, and monitoring for pests and diseases. It's also important to choose a suitable location for your tomato plant and to plant it at the right time of year.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Dayna
Replies
Views
StacieB