• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help me quickly

Nov 9, 2005
6
0
I recently relocated to Alabama, as I was leaving town I signed up with a girlfriend. I moved to an area where I do not know anyone (friends, family, or acquaintances). We moved due to my husband's job. I placed a picture ad in the Sunday paper a month ago and only have received one response. Since then I have had several bookings, however none of the 13 shows have held their date. All have rescheduled and/or canceled. I requested that my super starter month be changed to November due to the above. TPC home office agreed and changed it to November. I am still having last minute cancelations and reshedules. As to date I still am waiting to do my first show. Please help me!!!!!! Getting very discouraged in Alabama.
 

fruit76loop

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2005
1,159
0
chefchristy said:
I recently relocated to Alabama, as I was leaving town I signed up with a girlfriend. I moved to an area where I do not know anyone (friends, family, or acquaintances). We moved due to my husband's job. I placed a picture ad in the Sunday paper a month ago and only have received one response. Since then I have had several bookings, however none of the 13 shows have held their date. All have rescheduled and/or canceled. I requested that my super starter month be changed to November due to the above. TPC home office agreed and changed it to November. I am still having last minute cancelations and reshedules. As to date I still am waiting to do my first show. Please help me!!!!!! Getting very discouraged in Alabama.
Christy,

Are you staying in contact with your hosts? This is very very important! I find that when I slack, I get numerous reschedules and cancellations. You need to speak weekly with each host. Host coaching is the only way to eliminate cancellations! Also, let them know that this is your job and when they cancel or reschedule, you don't get paid! There will always be cancellations and reschedules in this business; however, if you keep in constant contact with your hosts and build a relationship with them they are less likely to reschedule. Also, I mail out the invitations and I have found that my cancellation rate is almost 0, reschedules have dropped dramatically. I think the reason is when you mail those cards the host would rather have the show than have to call everyone and tell them the show has been rescheduled!

Where did you get all of these bookings from? Are these people you know?
 

amya

Member
Mar 10, 2005
411
0
Since you're in a new area, how about holding an open house. This will get you introduced to your new neighbors and you know your host won't cancel because the host is you! You could offer a door prize, incentives for booking a show, or if you get orders at your open house, draw a name to be the "host" and give away the benefits. At any rate, it would be a great way to get to know new people and let them know about PC.
 
Nov 9, 2005
6
0
Some of the hosts I somewhat know. Other hosts meeting them here and there, and talking with them. One of the host is my accountant I hardly can get in touch with her on my taxes much less get her to reply to her show. She says that she has 17 for sure coming. Finally, she called a week ago on my taxes. Her party is Sunday afternoon. Im keeping my fingers crossed (since all I get is voicemail). I tried to host an open house and no one showed up!!! I know I am doing something that I need to improve on but not sure exactly what. When I make my last call (2 days before the party) is when everyone is moving their date.
 

PampChefNancy1

Novice Member
Oct 30, 2005
33
0
Like previously stated by another consultant, I also mail out the invitations for my hosts. I have not had a cancellation or even reschedules since I started doing this in May. :) I would recommend doing this. I too tried to host my own open house last year, when I first started with PC, and like you, no one showed except my 1 neighbor who didn't purchase anything! I had to laugh it off, because I live a good 35 miles away from most of my friends and family.

I guess what I'm rambling about is not to give up. Once you get that 1 show under your belt (so to speak), you'll most likely get at least 1 booking from it, then 1 booking from that party...it will start rolling for you. I would look to the local church and see if they are having any kind of a craft fair or something for Christmas, they can generate a lot of leads and possible sales! And once you get the leads, follow up is KEY! Then when they book tell them that all they need to do is provide recipe ingredients and to give you a guest list by 2 1/2 weeks prior to show, and you'll do the rest! Some consultants even give FREE Kitchen Shows. That's where they provide the recipe ingredients for the host. Don't do anything that you're not comfortable with...this is your business, but these are just some ideas and thoughts to help you get the ball rolling! :D

I hope this helps!

Nancy L. Lindsey
Independent Kitchen Consultant
Consultant #414249
 
Nov 9, 2005
6
0
I don't want to come across too pushy! I want my host to feel like I am doing them a favor for coming into their home and getting them free items. I do consider the fact that I am not getting paid. Yes, that is a downer. When they talk to their friends I want them to say, "that she got me all the things I wanted and didn't give the impession that this was all for her to make money." I want this business to be fun and everyone benefit so they can give me more leads. To me reputation will make or break you.

I appreciate all the help you guys can give me. I contacted my director and she said I am definitely doing something wrong and sort of scolded me! After the conversation I felt worse than before. Basically, she just told me to read my manual again.

thanks again

chef christy
 

batroark

Member
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2005
159
0
Invitations

fruit76loop said:
Christy,

Are you staying in contact with your hosts? This is very very important! I find that when I slack, I get numerous reschedules and cancellations. You need to speak weekly with each host. Host coaching is the only way to eliminate cancellations! Also, let them know that this is your job and when they cancel or reschedule, you don't get paid! There will always be cancellations and reschedules in this business; however, if you keep in constant contact with your hosts and build a relationship with them they are less likely to reschedule. Also, I mail out the invitations and I have found that my cancellation rate is almost 0, reschedules have dropped dramatically. I think the reason is when you mail those cards the host would rather have the show than have to call everyone and tell them the show has been rescheduled!

Where did you get all of these bookings from? Are these people you know?

Marlene,

How exactly do you send out the invitations? I have heard of consultants doing this job for the host, but I have found that it is like pulling teeth to just get the names from them. Do you pay for the postage or ask for the 40 names and x amount of money at the same time? I too get a few cancellations that feel are not necessary.

Angela Roark 431269
Ind. Future Director
Corning, AR
 

Jennie4PC

Legacy Member
May 24, 2005
3,360
1
Hey chefchristy
i can totally relate to what you are going through right now. I moved 1 month after starting 300 miles away. I talked to my real estate agent and she booked a show from me and i also asked a girl from my church to host one. July i got the going in active status but in Aug i had 1 booking and she wanted sept so she could get the stoneware i did mention the hostess benefits and so she did get a booking for sept for me but then i had nothing on my calander but 1 nov tom. then i did the taste of home cooking school and a parking lot sale for the library and since then i have been going pretty stong just dont give up and see if there are any bazaars or anything going on in your town, i know that has definitly helped me out. Good Luck with everything
 

PCBeliever

Novice Member
Nov 25, 2004
27
0
Mailing Invites

I don't give them an option, I give them the host packet and let them know what date I will be calling or expecting an email with thier list of guests. I mail the invites. So far I have only had one host who refused to give me her list, and her show never happened... surprise surprise.

I find if I get the names and addresses quickly, once I mail the postcards, shows don't cancel.

Melody
 

Chef Kearns

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2005
3,323
6
Cancellations and Reschedules

I have been in the business for 2 years and had a major problem with these issues in the beginning. Last year around this time my cluster was introduced to Steve Wiltshire. He has a method of person-to-person host coaching. Let me tell you IT HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I love meeting in person with my hosts. They seem to feel more free to ask me real questions and I know they are not distracted by family or things going on in their home. You can read their body language to know if you need to explain a particular part in more detail.

I find that I no longer have to hunt my hosts down for the "3 call" method. I have way too much going on in my own house to play phone tag. I always felt like I was nagging.

We meet about 3-4 weeks before the party. She gives me her guest list with emails, phone numbers, and addresses and I give her the host packet. We go over every page in the packet. We pick a recipe right then. I tell her, "If you have any questions please feel free to call me. I will be in touch with you again about 1-1/2 weeks before the party." When we schedule the party and I give her the form for the guest info I let her know then to come to the party planning meeting with enough postage for as many names as she's written down. I have not had a problem with that (that was one point I was nervous about, but haven't had a problem)

When it looks like a host is bogged down with life or has a bunch going on I also volunteer to do the reminder calls. I do not do them for every show. The last show I did them for I got mostly answering machines, but I spoke to 7 people. Three of the seven booked from our conversation even though they were not able to attend the party. Not bad odds!

Good luck! Don't get too discouraged. Things will turn around. You've got a good support team here.
 

Attachments

  • Blank guest list.doc
    109.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2005
6
0
Chef Kearns said:
I have been in the business for 2 years and had a major problem with these issues in the beginning. Last year around this time my cluster was introduced to Steve Wiltshire. He has a method of person-to-person host coaching. Let me tell you IT HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I love meeting in person with my hosts. They seem to feel more free to ask me real questions and I know they are not distracted by family or things going on in their home. You can read their body language to know if you need to explain a particular part in more detail.

I find that I no longer have to hunt my hosts down for the "3 call" method. I have way too much going on in my own house to play phone tag. I always felt like I was nagging.

We meet about 3-4 weeks before the party. She gives me her guest list with emails, phone numbers, and addresses and I give her the host packet. We go over every page in the packet. We pick a recipe right then. I tell her, "If you have any questions please feel free to call me. I will be in touch with you again about 1-1/2 weeks before the party." When we schedule the party and I give her the form for the guest info I let her know then to come to the party planning meeting with enough postage for as many names as she's written down. I have not had a problem with that (that was one point I was nervous about, but haven't had a problem)

When it looks like a host is bogged down with life or has a bunch going on I also volunteer to do the reminder calls. I do not do them for every show. The last show I did them for I got mostly answering machines, but I spoke to 7 people. Three of the seven booked from our conversation even though they were not able to attend the party. Not bad odds!

Good luck! Don't get too discouraged. Things will turn around. You've got a good support team here.

These are some really good ideas. I would rather meet person to person. I'll hang in there. I really appreciate everyone trying to come up with a solution to my bump in the road.

christy
 

WendyAebi

Member
Aug 24, 2005
174
0
I am also a huge fan of Steve Wiltshire's approach. (In fact I was rereading sections of his book just this morning!) It makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Go to LifeLine Coaching and order the book "Partnering With Your Hostess." I completely agree with what you were saying about not wanting to be pushy and having a reputation for being "all about them" and not about yourself--this book is from that same perspective.

Also, in regard to getting an address list from the host, Steve says to get it at the host coaching meeting, along with the postage needed to send that many invitations. I save a little time by emailing them a template to fill out and email back to me. (I'll attach it) I ask for their guest's phone numbers, also for follow-up calls, but not everyone does that. I print out the list on regular paper, then delete all the phone numbers and print the list again on labels. It's already formatted for the standard Avery address labels.
 

Attachments

  • PC label template.doc
    29 KB · Views: 432

pcjulie

Member
Aug 16, 2005
276
0
Address Labels

I got this idea from the consultnat who recruited me. When I book a show I send the host a sheet of address labels with the host name, RSVP, time, date, etc. (the info you find on the left side of the invitation). That way all they have to do is write the addresses on each invitation and stick a sticker on each one. My hosts really seem to appreciate it!
 
Mar 22, 2005
10
0
Chef Kearns said:
I have been in the business for 2 years and had a major problem with these issues in the beginning. Last year around this time my cluster was introduced to Steve Wiltshire. He has a method of person-to-person host coaching. Let me tell you IT HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I love meeting in person with my hosts. They seem to feel more free to ask me real questions and I know they are not distracted by family or things going on in their home. You can read their body language to know if you need to explain a particular part in more detail.

I find that I no longer have to hunt my hosts down for the "3 call" method. I have way too much going on in my own house to play phone tag. I always felt like I was nagging.

We meet about 3-4 weeks before the party. She gives me her guest list with emails, phone numbers, and addresses and I give her the host packet. We go over every page in the packet. We pick a recipe right then. I tell her, "If you have any questions please feel free to call me. I will be in touch with you again about 1-1/2 weeks before the party." When we schedule the party and I give her the form for the guest info I let her know then to come to the party planning meeting with enough postage for as many names as she's written down. I have not had a problem with that (that was one point I was nervous about, but haven't had a problem)

When it looks like a host is bogged down with life or has a bunch going on I also volunteer to do the reminder calls. I do not do them for every show. The last show I did them for I got mostly answering machines, but I spoke to 7 people. Three of the seven booked from our conversation even though they were not able to attend the party. Not bad odds!

Good luck! Don't get too discouraged. Things will turn around. You've got a good support team here.


I work a full time job as well as being a consultant. Will this program work with my schedule as well?
 

pamperedbecky

Legacy Member
May 6, 2005
4,488
0
I think part of it depends on how far away from you a host lives. Personally, I don't do in-person host coaching because it's just not possible at this time. I have two kids (almost 4 and 14 months) and most likely I'd have them with me and that's just way too crazy. I wouldn't be soley focused on my host because I'd be worrying about them. Even meeting at their house and if they had kids similiar ages, I'd be too preoccupied with what the kids were doing and whether or not they (mostly my almost four year old) were doing things they shouldn't be. Even evenings when my husband gets home would be tough because I'm either out doing shows, have other committments and if I have a free night, I like to be home with my family. So....I know there are others in my situation who some how are able to make it work. Maybe someday in the future when kids are in full time school or something. :) I give credit to all of you who do this. When I talk to a host and do the coaching via phone I'm able to multi-task and I wouldn't be able to do this in person. That's just my two cents, but someday I'd like to try it out and see what kind of difference it would make in my business.
 

Chef Kearns

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2005
3,323
6
As to working with your work schedule... Do you have a consistent lunch hour each day or does it fluctuate? I am a stay at home mom with 3 kids. My daughter almost always comes with me to my host coaching meetings. I let my hosts know this beforehand. From time to time I've had to bring my 2 boys as well (now that's chaos, but we always work it out).

If you are really interested in the benefits of this program I would play with meeting on your lunch hour or immediately after work. I do not always meet at the host's home. Sometimes we meet at a mutually convenient cafe or park. The biggest thing to remember is it is not a serious time committment. The meeting can take as little as 20 minutes. If you've got the time it is nice to spend it getting to know her more (it helps build a healthy rapport and hopefully a return host and loyal customer).

My daughter has been raised in this business. I joined when she was 10 days old. Even though she's just 2 she knows what is Pampered Chef. She'll tell her dad, "That's Mommy's Pampered Chef." She does well coming with me. However, most kids may not tolerate the meeting well. Test your kids...they may surprise you (Becky :) ).
 

WendyAebi

Member
Aug 24, 2005
174
0
Another idea I heard is to do bi-monthly coaching meetings. I'm not sure how I feel about this, truthfully, but thought I'd throw it out for discussion ;) I guess you'd set up a mid-month meeting at a coffee shop or at your home or wherever for all your hosts having parties the first two weeks of the next month, and then a first-of-month meeting for all the hosts whose parties are the last two weeks of that month. The thing I wonder about is how personal this would feel compared to a one-on-one phone call. Thoughts?
 

chefmel

Member
Feb 23, 2005
51
0
Hey Giselle! (from Melissa)

gisellecabunag said:
I work a full time job as well as being a consultant. Will this program work with my schedule as well?


Hey Giselle! Good to see more people from the Leiner Cluster on here. From what I hear from Keri, you are doing great! So I know that you can make anything work with your schedule because your business is already showing your success!
Hope to see ya at Monday's meeting! Well, just wanted to pop on here to say "GO LEINER CLUSTER!!!!"
 
Top