• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I Need Advice on Buying a Digital Camera ASAP!

No offense meant.. :)In summary, after asking for advice on purchasing a new digital camera, some recommended specific brands such as the Canon PowerShot SD 770 IS, Nikon D50, and Panasonic, while others suggested going to a camera store and trying out different cameras to find the best fit. There was also a discussion about the benefits of higher megapixels, high ISO for low light conditions, and video functions. Overall, the consensus was that Nikon and Canon are top brands for quality and value.
Brenda K.
Gold Member
Hi everyone, I need advice asap. Of course once again I ran out of time and Disney is next weekend already. I want to buy a new DIGITAL CAMERA before the trip. I need help!!!!!!! I want to be able to have a great zoom, not much of delay when I want to take a picture and good in bad lighting conditions. I know I am going to pay a little more money but I am sick of bad pictures. Please let me know what camera you like best and why and then I will go shopping!!!!!! Thank you!

Re: CameraWe have a Canon PowerShot SD 770 ISI love it because it is small enough to fit in my pocket, it has a nice size screen to view the image, and it takes great pictures. It has tons of settings that I don't even use. :D Before we got it, I went onto Amazon and read the reviews, good and bad of a lot of cameras. There were people there who had and tried multiple of the cameras and compared each of them to each other and rated them. I found it very helpful and much better than regular reviews (where usually you only hear bad complaints from people and hardly ever positive feedback.)

Re: CameraI have a Nikon D50 that I love, but it might be a bit bulky for you to take with you to Disney. You're probably looking for a point-and-shoot. I'm a Nikon fan, and would recommend the brand to anyone who asks, so I'd recommend a Coolpix.

That being said, my best suggestion would be to go to a place like Ritz or Wolf (whichever it is around you), and try out the different cameras. Tell the sales person what you're looking for and ask them WHY they're suggesting whichever one they're suggesting.

Bigger megapixels means your final prints can be bigger, though I don't think for most people the difference between 10 or 12 is a deal-breaker. A high ISO allows you to take picture in darker lighting without a flash (my D50 goes to 1600 and I wish it went higher). Some will also have a video function, which can be handy for short clips that you can then put together on the computer or upload to YouTube or FB to share.

Re: CameraI have a Panasonic and love it. I have had several and I love how fast it writes to the card. Big Screen, easy to use....I think I paid around $150 for it but they are way cheaper now.

Re: CameraCanon Powershot! The whole line is great and has cameras to fit different budgets and criteria.

Re: CameraI third Canon Powershot!

Re: CameraThank you so much for all of your input. I don't have a lot of time to research and I trust PC consultants! :)

Re: CameraI have to agree with Noora..my family is a Nikon Family. My dad always thought that he needed the biggest and the best of everything..he did A LOT of research and only bought Nikons. Now my sister is a professional photographer and she uses Nikon. I have a Nikon Coolpix I think it is the S220 and I love it.

Re: CameraWow, I asked this same question about a month ago and only got about 3 responses. Go figure.

We ended up w/ a JVC Experio camcorder/camera. We got it about a week ago and so far so good. We do like it because as you are taking video, you can also snap pictures.

Re: Camera
chefheidi2003 said:
I have to agree with Noora..my family is a Nikon Family. My dad always thought that he needed the biggest and the best of everything..he did A LOT of research and only bought Nikons. Now my sister is a professional photographer and she uses Nikon. I have a Nikon Coolpix I think it is the S220 and I love it.

Hehe.. I'm a Nikon owner and a believer in Nikon for capturing the best photograph. So, I own a Nikon SLR (D-80) and love it. However, I have a Canon Powershot as a pocket camera and whenever I am in the market for a new pocket camera, I end up purchasing a Canon Powershot (first one I owned was a S330).

My take on camera manufacturers:
1) Nikon - #1 in lens quality, great design, but highest cost
2) Canon - second in quality, fewer bells and whistles, but more value for the $$ for the general population.
3) I never even look at those other guys... hehe..

1. What are the top features to consider when buying a digital camera?

The top features to consider when buying a digital camera include the resolution, zoom, size and weight, storage capacity, and battery life. The resolution determines the quality of the images, while the zoom allows you to get closer to your subject. The size and weight are important if you plan on carrying the camera with you often. Make sure to also check the storage capacity to ensure it can hold all of your photos, and the battery life to avoid running out of power at important moments.

2. Should I go for a point-and-shoot or a DSLR camera?

This depends on your photography needs and level of expertise. Point-and-shoot cameras are more compact and easy to use, making them great for everyday use. DSLR cameras offer more manual control and higher image quality, making them a better choice for professional photographers or those looking to take their photography to the next level.

3. What is the difference between optical and digital zoom?

Optical zoom refers to the physical movement of the lens to magnify the image, while digital zoom uses software to enlarge the pixels in the image. Optical zoom produces higher quality images, while digital zoom can result in pixelated or blurry photos. It's important to consider the optical zoom when comparing cameras.

4. How important is the brand when buying a digital camera?

The brand can be important when buying a digital camera as it can often determine the quality and reliability of the product. However, it isn't the only factor to consider. It's important to research and read reviews for specific camera models to ensure they meet your needs and expectations.

5. Are there any additional accessories I should consider when buying a digital camera?

Some additional accessories to consider when buying a digital camera include a camera bag for protection and storage, extra memory cards for more storage space, and a tripod for stable shots. You may also want to invest in additional lenses for a DSLR camera to expand your photography capabilities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Poll
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
letscook04