• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I Need Advice, and Quick!

In summary, this woman is very pushy and is trying to take advantage of you. You should set boundaries with her and politely tell her that you are too busy to do everything for her.
newlywedcook
Ok, I'm a fairly new consultant, and it's just a hobby for me. I have a full time job, I'm newly married, and I'm very involved in church.

I did a show a couple of weeks ago and got a catalog booking from it. The lady who booked is elderly---in a motorized chair--and she took about 10 of my catalogs from the party before I noticed what happened. Then she called me 3 times the day after the show asking for products that she forgot to order, and I had already closed the show.

So, I brought her more catalogs (she now has like 16) and she has called me at least twice a day every day since the show. She now wants to be a CONSULTANT. Normally, I'd be happy, but I really don't think she can handle it. She's very pushy about me coming over to her house all the time and now she wants me to get her started in the business. I'm afraid if I do set her up, she's going to to expect me to be her helper at all her shows. I was out of town visiting my family this weekend, and she called me FIVE times on Sunday asking when I would be back in town to come to her house. This is after we'd already agreed I'd stop by today after work.

What should I do about this? Please help!!! She has become a big nuisance, and I don't have the time in my own schedule to be at her beck and call.

Do you know anyone who knows her? Do you think she may have Alzheimer's? That just sounds so much like something my Mom would have done...

First, I understand you don't know if she can handle it... BUT...it is up to her. There have been very successful consultants who have all sort of situations that would make you think they can't do this. And they Can!!

This your business. If you are with family, that is what voicemail is for. Set boundaries. When you do the interview with her, let her know how coach your team. Suggest she get a "your name here' book" I call mine the "charity book". Everytime she thinks of a question, write it down then when you have your scheduled coaching call she can hit you with them. Let her know you will attend her first show but after that, if she is welcome to observe your shows. Nicely say that this is where your team members can come and watch, take notes.... don't want the peanut gallery there! :)

Anyhow, do the interview. See if she is a good fit for PC and if PC is a good fit for her.
Good luck with it!

I'd definitely ask discretely at the church if she has any mental disabilities that could be effecting her judgment before you let her sign. If she is in the early stages of Alzheimer's that's a need-to-know fact that could alleviate a lot of problems for you, her, the customers & HO in the future. Maybe the pastor/priest could guide you on her ability to make informed decisions?

She sounds a bit lonely to me. Maybe she doesn't get out much. I know someone who can't drive due to disability but her husband drives her to every show. Talk through some of the logistics with her. As previous posters said, set a weekly call time with her. Let her know about the other resources available w/HO and your Director.

If you don't have caller ID, this is the reason to get it. Let the voicemail messages pile up and give her one call to answer all of the questions. We all have a ton of questions in the beginning. Some people would rather ask someone else than try to find the answer on their own. It's just different learning styles.

Okay, more examples--just to clarify, her husband is legally blind, so he can't help her. And, can she call in orders or do they have to be submitted through Pampered Partner? Because she doesn't have a computer.

Her voicemails are like this:

"I need more books. Come over today."

"I really need you to call me back. I'm anxious to get the kit ordered."

I got those messages like 8 times and then this one today:

"Call me back. I need to know if we are doing a show at my house Saturday afternoon."

First of all, she was doing a catalog show, so I had no idea about a cooking show at her house!!! I'm just a little frustrated. :-(

Sounds to me like you are going to have to show some tough-love. You have your own business to run, and your own family. Our jobs isn't to hold their hand and do it FOR them, but to guide them so they can do it for themselves. Actually- since you ARE so new, technically, the job of training and such would fall to your Director, if she's available. I would try to get your director involved with this situation as soon as possible. (is she your first recruit?) That is what they are there for.If you don't put your foot down now somehow, you're going to be dealing with this potential nightmare for awhile. And WHY does she need more books if she hasn't even started yet?? Don't be getting into a habit of giving her YOUR supplies! She'll get them in her kit or she can order them herself after she signs up. Loan her a couple at BEST. Sounds like she's got enough!

Sheila said:
I'd definitely ask discretely at the church if she has any mental disabilities that could be effecting her judgment before you let her sign....

I think you have to start here or somewhere similar before continuing on. There may be more to her asking so much of you, whether it be sickness or loneliness.

Although it is not your decision if she can handle it or not but like you said you simply can not do everything for her. I mean she has 16 of your catalogs! I'd be out if someone took that many. I only give 1 out for catalog shows. You can't be running to her house every day to check in. And if she is in a wheelchair and her husband is blind, who drives? Who is going to deliver items that are sent to her.
Sounds like there is a HUGE miscommunication some where that needs to be straightened out before even attempting to have her be a consultant.

Yes, she needs a computer to submit shows. I think she can still submit them by filling out a show order form and mailing it in. I did it for my first few shows when I started 5.5 years ago. A royal pain in the butt, so tell her she needs a computer (and no, she can't use yours!!!)! No, she can't call in the orders or fax them in.

What are some quick and easy recipes for busy weeknights?

One popular recipe among our customers is our Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. Simply toss sliced chicken, peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes. Serve with tortillas, salsa, and toppings of your choice for a delicious and quick meal.

How can I save time and still make a healthy dinner?

Our Quick Cooker is the perfect solution for busy weeknights. With its pressure cooking capabilities, you can make nutritious meals in a fraction of the time. Try our Quick Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo for a tasty and healthy dinner in just 10 minutes.

What are some tips for meal prepping for the week?

Invest in good quality storage containers to keep your prepped meals fresh. Plan out your meals for the week and make a grocery list to ensure you have all the ingredients you need. And don't be afraid to use shortcuts like pre-cut vegetables or pre-cooked proteins to save time.

How can I make cooking more enjoyable and less stressful?

Make it a family affair! Get your kids involved in meal prep by having them help with simple tasks like stirring or measuring ingredients. Put on some music or a podcast while you cook to make the process more enjoyable. And don't be afraid to try new recipes and experiment with different flavors to keep things interesting.

What are some must-have kitchen tools for new cooks?

A good set of knives, a cutting board, and a quality non-stick pan are essential for any new cook. A food chopper or mandoline slicer can also save time and make prep work easier. And don't forget a good cookbook or recipe app for inspiration and guidance in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • mmilus
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Sheila