1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Help! Grated ginger

1. chefmelody

chefmelody Member

I'm doing the Dim Sum and Then Some party today, and I was going to borrow the microplane grater from my director for the demo. However, she's having to take over a show this evening, and I won't be able to get it from her. Will it work if I grate the ginger in the Deluxe Cheese Grater? Or is there something else I can use that will work? Help! I don't want to mess this up.

Mar 11, 2006
  2. ChefLisa

ChefLisa Advanced Member

Before I had the Microplane Grater, I pressed ginger in the Garlic Press. I peeled it first and then pushed it through. It worked great! Good luck!

Lisa

Mar 11, 2006
  3. kjxon

kjxon Member

I used the cheese grater & it worked great.

Mar 11, 2006
  4. pamperedalf

pamperedalf Senior Member Silver Member

almost all my parties last season were dim sum, and I always used the garlic press. Just a tip is to freeze extra ginger, and then it's not wasted. when you defrost it's softer but goest through the garlic press with ease.

Mar 11, 2006
  5. chefmelody

chefmelody Member

I used the garlic press and it worked great. Thank you all! :D $300 show and she wants to sign, w00t!

Mar 11, 2006
  6. RachelNguyen

RachelNguyen Guest

I tried the cheese grater with ginger and it was a disaster...because the ginger is so fiberous, it got all jammed up in the grater, so I just used the food chopper and really chopped the heck out of it. That worked for me!

I am going to try the garlic press idea, though.

Also, just fyi, if you are going to be using it regularly, ginger can be left out on the counter for quite a long time. It will kind of dry out where you break it, but the flesh will stay moist for at least a week or two. (It's a root, after all!)

Love+
    Rachel

Mar 12, 2006
  7. Yvonne

Yvonne Member

I have chopped ginger for curries in the Food Chopper with great success. Any chance of the dim sum recipes - not been in our cookbooks in the UK.

Thanks, Yvonne

Mar 12, 2006
Have something to add?