• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Diabetes and 22 Meds: Low-Cal, Low-Carb Food Solutions

In summary, my dad has a lot of health issues that require him to take a lot of medication, and he is
pampchef.angel
My dad has alzheimer's. He also has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, is obese and many other health issues that cause him to take 22 pills each day. As of yesterday, he is a confirmed diabetic as well. The issue? What should he eat? He needs low calorie, low carb, low sugar, low everything...but still has to have enough food to be able to process all of the medication. I wondered if anyone else has ever dealt with such restriction - I really need advice.

pampchef.angel said:
My dad has alzheimer's. He also has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, is obese and many other health issues that cause him to take 22 pills each day. As of yesterday, he is a confirmed diabetic as well. The issue? What should he eat? He needs low calorie, low carb, low sugar, low everything...but still has to have enough food to be able to process all of the medication. I wondered if anyone else has ever dealt with such restriction - I really need advice.

Wow Angel....I'm sorry for the added stress of health issues along side his alzheimers...I will pray for you and your family.

I ran into the same dilemma (minus the alzheimer's) a few years back when my mother had a heart attack...she is diabetic and taking an absurd amount of meds. I'd rec you purchase the substitute salt and sub butter. My mother would never have stuck to the restrictions if I didn't use a substitute for both. McCormick also makes a variety of spices, salt free. I had a long list of recipes that were "diabetic" friendly.....I'll look for it and email to you if you'd like. Just remember to adjust the recipes to no salt, no or low fat for the added restrictions.....it is hard at first, but with time, it eventually can become the "norm"........also, in the beginning, allow for small lapses so he doesn't feel denied and "sneak" no no items.

Just my two cents and personal experience....I hope it helps some.

Thank you, Laurie...I really appreciate the advice and if you can find it, I would LOVE to have your list...

sure thing....hoping I have it on a CD.my hard drive crashed a few months back, and I lost all my documents. :cry:

Send me your email in the event of finding it. I also want to tell you not to remember to breathe and vent to a close friend. Drop any guilt you may experience when you get frustrated with this new lifestyle.....there will be days you want to scream because of non compliance. :blushing: It's ok, and totally normal. Also, hug your dad much and create happy memories for yourself.

K found it........get ready, it's 55 pgs long! I wanted variety so my mom couldn't complain and feel bitter! She loves trying new foods, so this became kind of fun. Again, you'll have to modify and sub some ingredients for his specific needs, but it'll be a solid foundation to start from!

Send me your email address, and I'll send it out.

Lots of vegetables and fruits, along with lean meats and dairy. Also, nuts and nut butters and whole grains. Go very light on processed foods, and sugar and white flour.

Is he living at home? Is he still responsible for feeding himself? I know that when my Mom was feeding herself, she would eat, and then re-eat, because she would forget she'd just eaten. But then, she would also eat a whole container of ice cream a day...or a dozen bakery cookies...because they looked good, and she would forget that she'd just had some. So, I was just wondering if some of that might be contributing to his health issues?

Now that someone else is feeding her, she is eating much better, and the right things, and some of her health issues have gotten much better!

I would recommend a good nutritionist (PhD). That's alot going on to figure out by yourself.

If the obesity goes away, his diabetes may be resolved. My friend's dad began gaining a lot of weight with his Alzheimer's and it turned out that he didn't remember that he already ate, so he would have meals over and over again, at all hours of the day and night. His insurance might cover a nutritionist who could help you plan his meals-even if not covered, it might be worth doing. Good luck-your dad is fortunate to have you caring for him.

floccies said:
I would recommend a good nutritionist (PhD). That's alot going on to figure out by yourself.

Very good point..most major hospitals will offer free classes on diabetic guidelines. If you do not have the time, ask them for the book which explains how to read product labels and their "point" system. I'd be happy to share what I know.....sent ya the email.........hope you found it useful

Hello again,

Just wondering how your dad was doing? And you? How's the change in lifestyle going for both of you?

Hey Laurie,
So far so good...my dad has an appt with his doc to visit a nutritionist. The recipes that you sent are helpful; I have given the entire list to my mom. Oh and thanks for the KFC coupon, too!!!

I'm so glad he and your mom have decided to visit a nutritionist and to follow the guidelines! It'll make a big difference in how he feels. Glad the recipes might be helpful.....let me know if you ever need an ear or have any other questions! Praying for you and your family

1. What are some low-calorie and low-carb food options for people with diabetes?

Some low-calorie and low-carb food options for people with diabetes include lean proteins like chicken and fish, non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli and spinach, and healthy fats like avocado and nuts. Pampered Chef also offers a variety of products that can help with meal prep for these types of meals, such as a spiralizer for making veggie noodles and a grill pan for cooking lean proteins.

2. Can you provide any recipe ideas that are both diabetes-friendly and delicious?

Absolutely! Pampered Chef has a variety of recipes specifically designed for people with diabetes, including dishes like balsamic chicken with roasted vegetables and zucchini noodles and cauliflower crust pizza. These recipes are not only low in calories and carbs, but also full of flavor and easy to make.

3. How can Pampered Chef products make meal prep easier for those with diabetes?

Pampered Chef offers a wide range of products that can make meal prep easier for people with diabetes. For example, our salad chopper makes it easy to chop up a variety of veggies for a quick and healthy salad, and our portion control containers can help with portioning out meals and snacks to manage carb and calorie intake. We also have cookware and kitchen tools specifically designed for healthy cooking, making it easier to prepare diabetes-friendly meals at home.

4. Are there any Pampered Chef products that can help with managing blood sugar levels?

Yes, there are several Pampered Chef products that can help with managing blood sugar levels. Our spiralizer and veggie spiralizer can be used to make low-carb vegetable noodles, which can be a great alternative to traditional pasta for people with diabetes. Our juicer and citrus press can also be used to make fresh, low-sugar juices and smoothies. Additionally, our non-stick cookware and baking mats can help reduce the need for added oils and fats in cooking, which can help manage blood sugar levels.

5. How can I get more information about Pampered Chef's products and recipes for people with diabetes?

You can visit Pampered Chef's website or reach out to a Pampered Chef consultant for more information on our products and recipes for people with diabetes. Our consultants are knowledgeable about our products and can provide tips and suggestions for using them to prepare diabetes-friendly meals. You can also follow Pampered Chef on social media for recipe ideas and inspiration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • chefcharity
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam