• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Cobbler and Pudding Cakes in the Deep Covered Baker

Deep Covered Baker. Cover and microwave for 10 minutes. Stir the mixture and microwave for an additional 2-3 minutes until set.Pudding Cake1 box devil's food cake mix, plus ingredients for batterPrepare the cake batter according to the box instructions. Pour it into the DCB. Drop scoopfuls of chocolate fudge frosting on top of the batter. Cover with the lid and microwave for 10 minutes.In summary, a consultant shared two recipes for making cakes in the Deep Covered Baker: a cobbler cake and a chocolate pudding cake. The cobbler cake involves layering cake mix, pie filling, and butter in the DC
lovenpc
Another consultant sent me a recipe that you can make a cake in the DCB and I had not heard this before...has anyone tried it? She sent me 2 different versions (recipes below)... a cobbler cake and a chocolate pudding cake. If anyone has any feedback on how these turn out I would love to hear it. Tried doing a search but didn't seem to come up with much.

Cobbler Cake
1 cake mix any flavor
1 can pie filling (to complement the cake mix)
1 ½ sticks butter
Layer in Deep Covered Baker - cake mix, pie filling, pats of butter. Cover, microwave for 10 minutes. Take out and stir mixture. Microwave an additional 2-3 minutes until set.

Pudding Cake
1 box devil's food cake mix, plus ingredients for batter
Mix batter, pour into DCB. Drop scoopfulls of chocolate fudge frosting all over top of batter. Cover with lid and microwave 10 minutes.

Thanks
Danielle

I've made the Cobbler cake or Dump cake as we call it on here (try a search for dump cake and you should find it). It was alright. Quite yummy actually but nothing to write home about and I don't think I'd ever make it at a show.

As for the Pudding Cake, I've only made that in the micro in the fluted pan, not the DCB, so I can't help you there. Again, it's quite yummy.

lovenpc said:
Another consultant sent me a recipe that you can make a cake in the DCB and I had not heard this before...has anyone tried it? She sent me 2 different versions (recipes below)... a cobbler cake and a chocolate pudding cake. If anyone has any feedback on how these turn out I would love to hear it. Tried doing a search but didn't seem to come up with much.

Cobbler Cake
1 cake mix any flavor
1 ½ sticks butter
Layer in Deep Covered Baker - cake mix, pie filling, pats of butter. Cover, microwave for 10 minutes. Take out and stir mixture. Microwave an additional 2-3 minutes until set.

Pudding Cake
Mix batter, pour into DCB. Drop scoopfulls of chocolate fudge frosting all over top of batter. Cover with lid and microwave 10 minutes.

Thanks
Danielle

one of my upline sent this to me last night & I tried it. All I had was a box of Chocolate Devils Food Cake & a Can of Cherry Filling. It was quite tasty & DH put a bunch of Cool Whip on top. Only problem was it stuck & by the time I practically shoveled it out it was not a pretty site.....:eek:

I make the dump cake quite often and found 1 stick of butter works just fine! Experiment with different cake and pie filling combos and of course our sweet sprinkles when they go with the flavor!

I was just going to ask this question. I thought of surprising my host on Saturday with a microwave cake in the DCB.

Thanks for the comments. I saw a old thread and someone mentioned that they used a can of sprite instead of the butter. Any thoughts....would you use whole can?

OH MY GOSH!!! I made this TO DIE FOR Chocolate Molten Pudding Cake!
Here's the recipe:
1 box devil's food cake mix, prepared according to the box directions (add eggs, oil, water)
1 can prepared chocolate/fudge icing.
pour batter into Deep Covered Baker
using small scoop (or a spoon), drop scoopfulls of icing on top of cake batter. Use all the icing... and it'll almost completely cover the batter.
COVER WITH LID, and cook 10 minutes in rotating microwave (High)
DONE! The icing melts to the bottom and the cake cooks on top. Serve directly from Baker with a Bamboo Spoon with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream
WARNING: addicting!

lovenpc said:
Thanks for the comments. I saw a old thread and someone mentioned that they used a can of sprite instead of the butter. Any thoughts....would you use whole can?

1 whole can of diet sprite in place of eggs or oil and it makes it lower in fat is all I know! I've done that before and if you make cupcakes with just any diet soda and cake mix, each cupcake is only 1 point for weight watchers. That is w/o icing if course!

lovenpc said:

Cobbler Cake
1 cake mix any flavor
1 ½ sticks butter

Pudding Cake

Thanks
Danielle

Sorry, didn't realize you posted this recipe too!

We made the Pudding Cake, it was GREAT!

I use 2 cans of pie filling and 1 stick of butter and it is great!!

I made the "Molten Lava Oreo Cake" Which is a chocolate cake mix mixed up in the DCB and then scoop one can of vanilla (I used the cream cheese flavored frosting) frosting on the top, cover and microwave 12 minutes. When the cake was done 'baking' I took the cover off the DCB and it appeared done but was so moist. Then I saw the liquid at the bottom and thought, 'oh no, i shouldn't have left the lid on, because there was too much moisture.' But I knew it was mostly melted frosting and I thought the cake needed to be inverted on to a plate -- not easy to do. Because this was a test cake for my family I cut it in thirds, placed it on my cake platter and then poured the liquid from the DCB on top of the cake. Ladies, and Gentlemen, this was the best cake I had made in ages! The 'liquid frosting' soaked into the cake and it added such a wonderful moist sweetness - but not overbearing like frosting can be. We ate some that night while it was still warm and it was good, but the next day it was even better! It is a very good tasting cake, but it doesn't have any eye appeal. I don't know if I'll be demonstrating this at shows, but I'll share the recipe and tell them it may not be pretty, but it sure is good.

StacieB said:
I use 2 cans of pie filling and 1 stick of butter and it is great!!

I made this version at a show tonight. Everybody loved it!

Using Baker's Joy NOT Pam (evil stuff in my opinion) works fabulously for any and all types of cakes - so perhaps that would help in the release of a cake in the DCB. I've used it in the fluted pan for the micro cakes (and don't have to anymore because my stone is so seasoned) and it worked great.

c00p said:
Using Baker's Joy NOT Pam (evil stuff in my opinion) works fabulously for any and all types of cakes - so perhaps that would help in the release of a cake in the DCB. I've used it in the fluted pan for the micro cakes (and don't have to anymore because my stone is so seasoned) and it worked great.

The cake I made in the DCB wasn't meant to come out! We just scoop it right out of the pan.

Yeah wadesgirl, I did see that in your post - but I think Ginger (?) mentioned something about it splitting when they tried to get it out and that it wasn't pretty!

c00p said:
Yeah wadesgirl, I did see that in your post - but I think Ginger (?) mentioned something about it splitting when they tried to get it out and that it wasn't pretty!

Mine stuck really bad.....BUT it was still tasty!!! ;)

yeah, don't dump it out to serve it. Just use a serving spoon and spoon it out into bowls served with vanilla ice cream. This is a GREAT recipe. Made the Molten Chocolate Cake yesterday at my show and sold THREE DCBs!!!! AT FULL PRICE!!!

You will show a lot of tools JUST making this cake!!! All the utensils needed to mix it up, kitchen spritzer or silicone brush if you want to oil the baker first, small scoop for icing. Also can use flour /sugar shaker if you want to sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar and then sprinkle nuts on top too. Use can grate them with either grater and/or chop with chopper. Don't forget also you can use ice cream dipper and easy accent decorator.

Help!!! I just tried the DCB cakes for the first time....question - is it supposed to still be soupy???? I baked it for 12 min. and the middle looked REALLY gross - real watery and all, so I stuck it back in for 3 more minutes and still when I go to scoop it out, it's soupy at the bottom. Didn't know if this was normal or not!
Jen

when you first pull it out the cake appears done. It's when you cut into it is when you see the yummy liquid pouring out of it. That is the melted icing that melted through the cake that you are now seeing at the bottom. Scoop it out with a spoon per serving and serve with vanilla ice cream

I have made a chocolate cake in the micro in the DCB w/o the frosting and it was really good but it was a little soupy on the bottom. I guess that is one benefit of the frosting - it is supposed to look a little soupy :)

I make the Molten Lava Cake in the Rice Cooker Plus. How do you do it in the DCB again. I have a show tonight and will be using it for the Beef Enchilada Casserole but want to sell it for dessert as well. Thanks.

KrisGio said:
I make the Molten Lava Cake in the Rice Cooker Plus. How do you do it in the DCB again. I have a show tonight and will be using it for the Beef Enchilada Casserole but want to sell it for dessert as well. Thanks.

Follow the "pudding cake" recipe at the beginning of this thread.

I was curious on the dump cake (cobbler cake) with the pie fillings - my original recipe for a dump cake in the oven calls to put the pie filling on the bottom then top with the cake mix, then the butter....I noticed on here is was opposite - cake mix on the bottom, then pie filling, then butter.... Is that the correct layering method for the microwave, the cake mix on the bottom first??? Has anyone tried it the original oven way with the pie filling on the bottom? I wasnt sure why you would put the butter on top of the pie filling instead of the cake mix as you would want the butter to melt into the cake mix...????

What is the Deep Covered Baker and how does it work?

The Deep Covered Baker is a stoneware dish with a domed lid that creates a steamy environment for cooking. The lid traps moisture and helps to evenly distribute heat, resulting in deliciously moist and tender baked goods.

Can I use the Deep Covered Baker for both cobbler and pudding cakes?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker is perfect for both cobbler and pudding cakes. The steam created by the lid helps to prevent the cake from drying out and the even heat distribution ensures that both the cake and the topping are cooked to perfection.

What are some tips for making a successful cobbler or pudding cake in the Deep Covered Baker?

Be sure to preheat the Deep Covered Baker before adding the ingredients. Use room temperature ingredients for best results. To prevent the topping from getting too soggy, place a paper towel or clean kitchen towel under the lid to absorb any excess moisture. Finally, let the cobbler or pudding cake rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop.

Do I need to grease the Deep Covered Baker before baking?

No, the stoneware material of the Deep Covered Baker is naturally non-stick. However, you can lightly spray the inside of the dish with cooking spray if desired.

Can I use the Deep Covered Baker in the microwave?

No, the Deep Covered Baker is not microwave-safe. It is designed for use in the oven or microwave only. Do not use on stovetop, under a broiler, or on a grill.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebinCincy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
meganmcg
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies