• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cookie Press Help: Tips for Perfect Cookies in December | NC Cookie Class"

In summary, the NC has a cookie press and made cookies and they turned out in blobs. The cookie press she is using is the same style as the one I have been using for years, and she follows the same procedure of testing and adding flour to get the right amount. Make sure the recipe is designed for use in a cookie press, and the cookie press she is using is the same style as the one I have been using for years.
KCPChef
HELP me please! I have a NC who is doing a cookie class for December and she just bough her cookie press and made cookies and they turned out in blobs. I do not own it to help her. Any suggestions?

Gosh, could be a multitude of things. What recipe is she using? Were they blobs coming out of the press or after baked? What disc is she using? We need details if you want help with this.

I have not used our newly designed one, but it is the same exact style (crank-style) that I have been using for years.

One thing that most of my cookie press recipes have are ranges of flour measurements. I always start at the low end of the flour and test a cookie. If it spreads when baked, I add a little more flour. Each time testing a cookie and adding a little flour as needed until the cookie just holds its shape. It can take several cookies until I get the right amount of flour.

If the recipe doesn't have a range of flour measurement, I start with a liitle less flour than the recipe calls for and follow the same procedure of testing and adding flour. You can add flour, but not take it away.

Make sure the cookie recipe is designed for use in a cookie press.

I have used various Spritz cookie recipes over the years and never had an issue using with a crank-style Cookie Press.

I have been doing the PB recipes at shows- 1c of PB, 1 c of sugar, and an egg. Sometimes I add about an extra Tbsp of Sugar if it seems dry.
It is a no fail recipe and allows you to get the feel of the cookie press itself, without dealing with the cookie press in combination of the finickey-ness of the dough too.... if that makes sense.

I haven't tried anything but the spritz recipe that came with the cookie press and the PB recipe and I think it works great. I haven't tried anything else with it yet.

kam said:
I have not used our newly designed one, but it is the same exact style (crank-style) that I have been using for years.

One thing that most of my cookie press recipes have are ranges of flour measurements. I always start at the low end of the flour and test a cookie. If it spreads when baked, I add a little more flour. Each time testing a cookie and adding a little flour as needed until the cookie just holds its shape. It can take several cookies until I get the right amount of flour.

If the recipe doesn't have a range of flour measurement, I start with a liitle less flour than the recipe calls for and follow the same procedure of testing and adding flour. You can add flour, but not take it away.

Make sure the cookie recipe is designed for use in a cookie press.

I have used various Spritz cookie recipes over the years and never had an issue using with a crank-style Cookie Press.

This is awesome and practical advice! I guess I've always been lucky making my cookies and cheese straws. Of course, it is always so damp here and that may have something to do with my luck, too.​

lesliec said:
I have been doing the PB recipes at shows- 1c of PB, 1 c of sugar, and an egg. Sometimes I add about an extra Tbsp of Sugar if it seems dry.
It is a no fail recipe and allows you to get the feel of the cookie press itself, without dealing with the cookie press in combination of the finickey-ness of the dough too.... if that makes sense.

I agree with this. It takes less than 3 minutes to make the dough and is very simple and mess free. It's great practice. Also, make sure the recipe is right. If you use just regular sugar cookie dough it will not work right.

LeslieSGI said:
This is awesome and practical advice! I guess I've always been lucky making my cookies and cheese straws. Of course, it is always so damp here and that may have something to do with my luck, too.​

Yes, I think you are right, the moisture in the air might alter it too. I know it affects pie crust. My mother would NEVER make pie crust if it was raining. (I don't make pie crust from scratch so I don't have that issue! :) )

ok, when I did my first cookie show, I came home crying! It did not work. Not sure why, except I did figure out that you need to use a mixer when mixing the spritz cookie recipe. It works like a charm now. I just did a show and a demo on the cookie press. Everyone went home with a bag of cookies, courtesy of the host. They were thrilled, sold 3 presses! Good luck. If it is damp, you might want to add just a smidgin of flour (not sure if we have a measuring unit for smidgin! lol)

This thread has been so helpful. I ordered my cookie press lastweek and hope to get it today or tomorrow. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and expertise! :)

use the betty crocker sugar cookie mix that comes in a red pouch, add 1/4 c flour always works especially with the old press. also, make sure the # on the disc is facing the right way

if she pressed out too much dough, it will just be a blob instead of a shaped cookie too.
It only takes I think a half turn or even less?

Teresa Lynn said:
use the betty crocker sugar cookie mix that comes in a red pouch, add 1/4 c flour always works especially with the old press. also, make sure the # on the disc is facing the right way

On the new press the way the # faces on the disc doesn't matter.

i made cheese straws Thanksgiving morning and it did make a difference not sure why but it did

I'm loving the new press! I am doing shows where 2 and 3 year olds are making the cookies! I do use the esp pb recipe and just use a quarter of a turn. They come out small but they spread!!

been practicing with the press all week making a different spriz cookie recipe each night.
still have a few kinks to work out.. then again it's most likely just me.

how long do you bake the peanut butter cookie recipe and on what temp??

I think 350---- maybe 10 on the metal cookie sheet and 12 on the bar pan.... not 100%, I need to double check that.

My problem with the press using the PB cookie recipe, is that sometimes the dough doesn't stay down on the pan I'm using. I've tried the metal cookie sheet, parchment paper on it, and also a plain stone. Sometimes it works great, and then the next one won't stay. I have to over-express it a little, so it's a fuller shape, but so far that's the only trick I can do to get it to come off w/o having to scrape off the dough and re-stuff it back in the press later.

babywings76 said:
My problem with the press using the PB cookie recipe, is that sometimes the dough doesn't stay down on the pan I'm using. I've tried the metal cookie sheet, parchment paper on it, and also a plain stone. Sometimes it works great, and then the next one won't stay. I have to over-express it a little, so it's a fuller shape, but so far that's the only trick I can do to get it to come off w/o having to scrape off the dough and re-stuff it back in the press later.

I tap the side of the press just a little, like you would to get food off the sides of the food chopper. The best part about the PB cookie dough is you can knock it into your hand if you have to and set it down, it stays it's shape pretty well.

ShelbyMichalek said:
I tap the side of the press just a little, like you would to get food off the sides of the food chopper. The best part about the PB cookie dough is you can knock it into your hand if you have to and set it down, it stays it's shape pretty well.

Which disk do you think has the best pattern for keeping it together well?

The stars work well, disks 1 (wreath) and 2 (4pt star)

What is a cookie press and how does it work?

A cookie press is a kitchen tool used to make cookies in various shapes and sizes. It works by pressing dough through a disc with a design, creating a shaped cookie. Simply load the dough into the press, choose a disc, and press the trigger to dispense the dough onto a baking sheet.

Can I use a cookie press for other types of dough?

Yes, you can use a cookie press for other types of dough such as cheese straws, churros, or even mashed potatoes. Just make sure the dough is soft enough to pass through the disc and adjust the settings on the press accordingly.

Why is my cookie dough sticking to the press?

If your cookie dough is sticking to the press, it could be too soft or warm. Try chilling the dough in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes before using the press. You can also lightly dust the dough with flour or powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

Can I wash my cookie press in the dishwasher?

It is not recommended to wash your cookie press in the dishwasher as it can cause damage to the parts and affect its performance. Instead, disassemble the press and wash the parts in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly before reassembling.

How do I store my cookie press?

To prolong the life of your cookie press, make sure to clean and dry it completely before storing it. Once dry, disassemble and store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or near sources of heat to prevent damage to the parts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Liquid Sky
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kam